PDA

View Full Version : Tree stand etiquette

canoehunter
02-13-2016, 10:32 AM
Found a tree stand in a fresh cutblock the other day. Obviously left from last season. They have logged all around it and my wife and I see it on our regular quad rides. Do people often leave their tree stand out over winter? I pull them in after use.
So here's the dilemma .. Leave it and have others take it or take it myself. There's no way to tell if it is someone local or comes for a week hunt every year. It was well hidden before the logging. Lots of people will be using this trail for recreation
thoughts anyone?

Vanislehiker
02-13-2016, 10:38 AM
It's not yours so don't touch it how about that

kilometers
02-13-2016, 10:41 AM
I personally would leave it. It is not mine. It is now exposed but maybe the owner will come and move it. Hopefully some other Good Samaritans don't take it.
If you wanna hunt outta it I say fly at it but allow the rightful owner to hunt it if he shows up well your their.

russm
02-13-2016, 10:55 AM
Leave it for others to steal or steal it yourself? Ill second the it's not yours so dont touch it comment.

canoehunter
02-13-2016, 10:59 AM
Just to be clear, they started logging in December and built a road next to it and logged all around it.
we'll leave it and see what happens.

300H&H
02-13-2016, 11:03 AM
If you go to the mall shopping and leave your vehicle in the parking lot would you mind if I took it ?

Don't take something that is not yours....I can't believe you even had to ask.

Ddog
02-13-2016, 11:07 AM
Really? your actually thinking of stealing another hunters treestand, hmm
are you looking for permission to steal,,
you actually really asked that question?

Lillypuff
02-13-2016, 11:08 AM
I left mine out over the winter in Alberta late summer I went to clear out some shooting lanes and it was gone! Small town I found out who logged the area and sure enough I had it back within the week. Please leave it be!

canoehunter
02-13-2016, 11:17 AM
I was thinking of stashing it in a less obvious place, or putting a add on here or kijiji. Something helpful.
Vehicle in parking lot is stupid.
Thanks for the help

M.Dean
02-13-2016, 11:20 AM
Take it I say!!! If I seen one of them things in my region I'd lay in wait till the rotten filthy poacher came back to use it, then he'd get a good 2 or 3 minute shower with pepper spray, then a real good 20 minute goin over with a plastic pipe filled with lead shot! When he get's out of ICU in a month or two, I'd be wait'in by the hospitals front doors and push him out of his wheel chair too boot! I just hate tree stand Hunters!

J_T
02-13-2016, 11:21 AM
I've watched a treestand be unused for just about 25 years now. This year when I went in to hang my stand, I saw that the tree had fallen over. The stand still attached.

300H&H
02-13-2016, 11:26 AM
I was thinking of stashing it in a less obvious place, or putting a add on here or kijiji. Something helpful.
Vehicle in parking lot is stupid.
Thanks for the help

I'll say what most are thinking....YOUR A IDIOT !

It's NOT YOURS so leave it alone !

canoehunter (just 3 post) your new here and stealing form another hunter is definitely frowned upon.

Bernie O
02-13-2016, 11:45 AM
Our hunting party has left many things in the bush over the years and usually they were gone by next season. I think some people have no morals when it comes to other peoples stuff. I believe it's alright to use but not to take.

adriaticum
02-13-2016, 11:51 AM
I'll say what most are thinking....YOUR A IDIOT !

It's NOT YOURS so leave it alone !

canoehunter (just 3 post) your new here and stealing form another hunter is definitely frowned upon.

Well lets not go that far.

Leave the stand alone and put a note on it.
It's not out of the question that the hunter who put it there is expecting it to be there.
If you hunt the area a lot you will probably run into him.
It's also possible that the hunter who put it there will not be picking it up again.
So leave a note on it

adriaticum
02-13-2016, 11:52 AM
I've watched a treestand be unused for just about 25 years now. This year when I went in to hang my stand, I saw that the tree had fallen over. The stand still attached.

So now you're just watching garbage in the woods for 25 years without picking it up.

monasheemountainman
02-13-2016, 12:24 PM
Take it I say!!! If I seen one of them things in my region I'd lay in wait till the rotten filthy poacher came back to use it, then he'd get a good 2 or 3 minute shower with pepper spray, then a real good 20 minute goin over with a plastic pipe filled with lead shot! When he get's out of ICU in a month or two, I'd be wait'in by the hospitals front doors and push him out of his wheel chair too boot! I just hate tree stand Hunters!

wtf that's a stupid thing to say lol youre an idiot just like the original idiot who started this idiotic thread....idiots

Ddog
02-13-2016, 01:22 PM
wtf that's a stupid thing to say lol youre an idiot just like the original idiot who started this idiotic thread....idiots

ITs Sarcasm at its finest,

300H&H
02-13-2016, 05:15 PM
Well canoehunter....you've gone very quiet.

With the feedback you have received, honestly what do you think you should do ?

dakoda62
02-13-2016, 05:18 PM
If you take it, it's theft plain and simple.

dragonslayer
02-13-2016, 06:05 PM
M. Dean ,I agree with you totally, take it and screw them, they have no reason to clutter the bush up with their garbage anyway.:grin:

Foxtail
02-13-2016, 06:37 PM
Is everyone here in a pissy mood? He asked if he should grab it (to save it for the owner)before someone steals it. Not steal it himself. Or atleast that was not his intention. Gets called an idiot for asking??? How about a simple... No just leave it beacause you taking it would be the same as someone else taking it regardless of intentions... It would still be considered theft.

M.Dean
02-13-2016, 06:37 PM
wtf that's a stupid thing to say lol youre an idiot just like the original idiot who started this idiotic thread....idiots I forgot that dam "Happy Face" again, didn't I!!!

M.Dean
02-13-2016, 06:48 PM
ITs Sarcasm at its finest, Why Thank You Ddog! In the future I must watch my P's and Q's a little closer I guess? (that's referring to my intake of "Perk's" and "Quaadlude's")!

adriaticum
02-13-2016, 07:22 PM
Is everyone here in a pissy mood?.

Ain't that a fact.

J_T
02-13-2016, 07:36 PM
So now you're just watching garbage in the woods for 25 years without picking it up.I thought about that. I could leave a note on the dead tree.

buckshot
02-13-2016, 07:46 PM
The loggers cut the trees all around the tree stand but spared that tree! I'm impressed by their kindness. Now, you are gonna take this tree stand! Might as well cut the last tree into firewood while you're at it!

finngun
02-13-2016, 08:23 PM
Hey nuke the tree,,and tree stand with it,,problem solved...i,m not in pissy mood,,just full of salmon soup,,no soup for ya.. :roll:f,,g

IslandBC
02-13-2016, 08:55 PM
Wow may as well have taken it with all the flack your getting... Proper etiquette is to leave it be. If it gets stolen by someone else it's there problem

RackStar
02-13-2016, 09:08 PM
So much animosity...

adriaticum
02-13-2016, 09:21 PM
Hey nuke the tree,,and tree stand with it,,problem solved...i,m not in pissy mood,,just full of salmon soup,,no soup for ya.. :roll:f,,g

Salmon soup?!
A perfectly good way to waste a salmon

Grumpa Joe
02-13-2016, 09:28 PM
Is everyone here in a pissy mood? He asked if he should grab it (to save it for the owner)before someone steals it. Not steal it himself. Or atleast that was not his intention. Gets called an idiot for asking??? How about a simple... No just leave it beacause you taking it would be the same as someone else taking it regardless of intentions... It would still be considered theft.

^This.

I don't think the guy would ask if he had evil intent. He would have just taken it like the twit who took my trail cam. My interpretation was he was looking for a way to find it's owner.

Guy is a member on here for 8 years and he gets flamed on his first 3 posts. Yeah, he'll want to post again.

monasheemountainman
02-13-2016, 09:31 PM
You guys are right, sorry for the mean comments! God damm it needs to be hunting season

fuzzybiscuit
02-13-2016, 09:43 PM
Found a tree stand in a fresh cutblock the other day. Obviously left from last season. They have logged all around it and my wife and I see it on our regular quad rides. Do people often leave their tree stand out over winter? I pull them in after use.
So here's the dilemma .. Leave it and have others take it or take it myself. There's no way to tell if it is someone local or comes for a week hunt every year. It was well hidden before the logging. Lots of people will be using this trail for recreation
thoughts anyone?

Send me a PM with directions on how to get there. It will go good with the garage full of trail cams I found.

IslandBC
02-13-2016, 09:52 PM
Send me a PM with directions on how to get there. It will go good with the garage full of trail cams I found.
Do you have my acorn wifi trail cam??? PM with my home address sent! Feel free to send a bottle of honey jack with it... Can't trust knowone I tell yah.

finngun
02-13-2016, 09:55 PM
You guys are right, sorry for the mean comments! God damm it needs to be hunting season

i agreed...lots of guys full of piss and winegar..too many foggy days,,cabin feaver...wahhh...go to a rifle range,,stop arguing with ya wiffe..[old lady]:mrgreen:

finngun
02-13-2016, 09:57 PM
Salmon soup?!
A perfectly good way to waste a salmon N o way man..i jus had 3 bow of it,,it was real yammy..but no soup FOR YA..8)

skibum
02-13-2016, 11:12 PM
I see where he is coming from. It was hidden, not any more, thinking he's doing a guy a favour so no one steals it. Try and get it back to the owner who doesn't know about the recent logging

But it is Saturday night so I guess by default I should just call him a f''k'in idiot

Personally would just leave it, get yourself in more sh.t than worth trying to help

monasheemountainman
02-14-2016, 12:25 AM
i agreed...lots of guys full of piss and winegar..too many foggy days,,cabin feaver...wahhh...go to a rifle range,,stop arguing with ya wiffe..[old lady]:mrgreen:

True dat! Life is too short I'm guessing I'm gonna kill the biggest bear this spring!! Any takers?!

300H&H
02-14-2016, 12:26 AM

He NEVER said that. Check post #01.

And his he may not be a idiot but his question sure was.

300H&H
02-14-2016, 12:30 AM
If you take it, it's theft plain and simple.

And that should be the FINAL comment. Close the thread.

scotty30-06
02-14-2016, 04:17 AM
Don't touch it....not yours...none of your business....bottom line....there is no other option

BushBuck
02-14-2016, 08:13 AM
This site is a great wealth of knowledge, some positive some certainly not.... To blast a guy with comments that hold value comparitive to the shit I took in the bush yeaterday is very discouraging. The question originally asked was not the greatest maybe... I took away from it that this fella has enough decency he couldnt just leave someone elses hardearned property alone because he knows what may very well happen to it(get jacked) if the wrong person crosses it and that he was looking for some way get in contact with the owner or get guidance from someone who has been through this before, just my interpretation. People Will always first look for the negative and point it out no matter what (its easier and humans are generally lazy) and in this case ridicule and call the guy names...Try that shit face to face in the real world..instead of hiding behind computer/phone screens. What is the ratio of stolen property(hunting related of ppl on this site) to posts on this site about taking for ones self other peoples equipment if encountered in the bush. The logical thinker in me says a theif will NOT ask before he takes.... It sucks for the owner of the treestand in this case it may well be a hard lesson learned about keeping tabs on your equipment and be aware if they have the area flagged to log when your equipment is out there. Someone will jack it if its that visible and that much of a high traffic area.... On that note I would be scouting for new hunting zone if this was my situation. Less ppl=more deer

Ddog
02-14-2016, 08:38 AM
this was the question he asked originally .....
"So here's the dilemma .. Leave it and have others take it or take it myself. There's no way to tell if it is someone local or comes for a week hunt every year."

then he said: I was thinking of stashing it in a less obvious place, or putting a add on here or kijiji. Something helpful.

when i posted, it was the original question, perhaps it should of all been in the original post, then the guy wouldn't have been roasted the way he was, anyways, that being said,, if it was my stand and that situation happened i would be elated if there was a note on the tree saying where my stand was if someone decided it was the right thing to save it.
i deciphered the original question the wrong way. ....my bad

fuzzybiscuit
02-14-2016, 09:11 AM
Is it not illegal to leave a tree stand set up in the bush after hunting season?

I didn't bother to look it up but I do remember reading it somewhere in the past.

M.Dean
02-14-2016, 09:32 AM
Lets go back to page one here, Are we talk'in a store bought tree stand or a couple chunks of old 2x4's and a piece of plywood tree stand? If it's a nice metal one with a nice ladder and all, it might be a good idea, for a honest person, like the "OP" here seems to be, to take it and leave a note nailed to the tree with your phone number and what ever. If it's a home made one, leave it to rot, it's only a eye sore if you go out of your way to look at the dam thing, So don't look at it! I've wasted enough of what life I've got left on the "Tree Stand" dilemma, looks like a good day to go ice fish'in or shoot'in maybe? Decisions Decisions! I love my Life!

Muliechaser
02-14-2016, 09:40 AM
Clearly the loggers left the tree standing with the stand still intact !!! What does that tell you ?? Its not like finding a 20 laying on the ground. Just leave it . Maybe the stand has been there for years maybe the guy just uses it for early season . I have stand that i only use the first week of season then after that i dont see them again untill spring to see if they are gone and are still sturdy and ready for next season .

bighornbob
02-14-2016, 09:43 AM
I took it that the original poster was going to take it down before it got stolen and try and find the owner.

If it was me I would also take it down, as you know it going to be stolen or shot, and leave a note on the tree saying I have it and to contact me to get it back.

BHB

Ambush
02-14-2016, 10:31 AM
I wasn't sure what he meant, so I thought I'd wait until everyone had jumped to conclusions and gave him a severe flaming.

Then I could piss on him to put it out. Got both sides covered that way. :-D

I'm sure he's busy right now telling his friends to join HBC because of the warm welcome we have for new posters.

hunter fisher
02-14-2016, 11:32 AM
if its on the backside of princeton, please leave it, its mine and ill be driving back up to grab it in spring

Langleybushcrafter
02-14-2016, 12:03 PM
This site is a great wealth of knowledge, some positive some certainly not.... To blast a guy with comments that hold value comparitive to the shit I took in the bush yeaterday is very discouraging. The question originally asked was not the greatest maybe... I took away from it that this fella has enough decency he couldnt just leave someone elses hardearned property alone because he knows what may very well happen to it(get jacked) if the wrong person crosses it and that he was looking for some way get in contact with the owner or get guidance from someone who has been through this before, just my interpretation. People Will always first look for the negative and point it out no matter what (its easier and humans are generally lazy) and in this case ridicule and call the guy names...Try that shit face to face in the real world..instead of hiding behind computer/phone screens. What is the ratio of stolen property(hunting related of ppl on this site) to posts on this site about taking for ones self other peoples equipment if encountered in the bush. The logical thinker in me says a theif will NOT ask before he takes.... It sucks for the owner of the treestand in this case it may well be a hard lesson learned about keeping tabs on your equipment and be aware if they have the area flagged to log when your equipment is out there. Someone will jack it if its that visible and that much of a high traffic area.... On that note I would be scouting for new hunting zone if this was my situation. Less ppl=more deer

Well said.

bigbuzz
02-14-2016, 12:10 PM
I have two tree stands out, I leave them out unless they are not in a promising location. I have found cigarette butts, candy wrappers, beer cans left beneath them so obviously there is a lack of etiquette with some people. Stealing them, how is that right?

HarryToolips
02-14-2016, 12:48 PM
I wasn't sure what he meant, so I thought I'd wait until everyone had jumped to conclusions and gave him a severe flaming.

Then I could piss on him to put it out. Got both sides covered that way. :-D

I'm sure he's busy right now telling his friends to join HBC because of the warm welcome we have for new posters.
LOL this about sums it up:
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/65740383.jpg

Walksalot
02-14-2016, 04:46 PM
It boils down to respecting another persons property, be it a tree stand, trail cameras or quarters of an animal a successful hunter is in the throws of packing out of the bush.

Barracuda
02-14-2016, 05:12 PM
there is leaving something for future use and then there is abandonment . it really depends on the situation for all you know the guys could be a bird watcher game watcher etc he may be a predator hunter or he could be a forgetful person that cant remember where they left the stand or forgot to pack it and only remembered when they were home. :oops: Have you looked for a name or contact info on it?

I have found tents chairs pots pans and all sorts of stuff in the back country .

Phreddy
02-14-2016, 06:20 PM
Take it and leave a note with your phone number in a ziploc bag telling him that you have retrieved an item from the area and if he phones you and tells you what the item is and some description he can pick it up. That way you will be doing the owner a favor and not be joining the ranks of the thieving scum bags. Obviously the person doesn't know it the area was logged. I know that if it were mine I'd appreciate the fact that you were concerned enough to do that. Just saying. Other than that, I'd say the other folks that said just leave it are right

Phreddy
02-14-2016, 06:23 PM
Just finished saying the same thing then found your post Ddog. Great minds think alike.

this was the question he asked originally .....
"So here's the dilemma .. Leave it and have others take it or take it myself. There's no way to tell if it is someone local or comes for a week hunt every year."

then he said: I was thinking of stashing it in a less obvious place, or putting a add on here or kijiji. Something helpful.

when i posted, it was the original question, perhaps it should of all been in the original post, then the guy wouldn't have been roasted the way he was, anyways, that being said,, if it was my stand and that situation happened i would be elated if there was a note on the tree saying where my stand was if someone decided it was the right thing to save it.
i deciphered the original question the wrong way. ....my bad

180grainer
02-14-2016, 06:38 PM
It's not yours so don't touch it how about that

Yup................

180grainer
02-14-2016, 06:44 PM
Kind of curious as to why a guy, (or gal) would leave a tree stand out in the bush after the season's over, (assuming they have left it that way). I have one and I'd think twice even if I was coming back the next day. Seems reckless if you're actually thinking of using the stand next year. It it doesn't get stolen it would be all rusted up.

180grainer
02-14-2016, 07:00 PM
if its on the backside of princeton, please leave it, its mine and ill be driving back up to grab it in spring

Why'd you leave in the bush if you don't mind me asking? And why didn't you hide it if you were going to leave it instead of leaving it set up? Just curious.

Walksalot
02-15-2016, 07:40 AM
I have tree stand I have left hanging for 20 years, the chain has grown into the bark of the tree. It is hung on an active game trail. It is a home made metal one and is quite heavy and to hang it every year would be a pain in the bum. When the logging company was harvesting trees in the area a rancher friend told them where it was and they left it hidden in the timber.

J_T
02-15-2016, 09:22 AM
Kind of curious as to why a guy, (or gal) would leave a tree stand out in the bush after the season's over, (assuming they have left it that way). I have one and I'd think twice even if I was coming back the next day. Seems reckless if you're actually thinking of using the stand next year. It it doesn't get stolen it would be all rusted up.
My tree stands spend more time hanging in the bush than they do hanging on a wall in my shed. When I'm hunting I don't want the noise of setting up. What I love about the EK, is the general respect for other peoples things in the outdoors. In my late season, I leave my stands out after the season closes because retrieving them has become a tradition, the family taking a walk on a sunny snow covered day, a small fire in the bush, a beer at a local pub after. Everyone enjoys it. And, my family know where to come find me next year if I don't come home. I have no issue leaving my stand in the bush. And I leave other people's equipment alone.

rocksteady
02-15-2016, 09:38 AM
Take it and leave a note with your phone number in a ziploc bag telling him that you have retrieved an item from the area and if he phones you and tells you what the item is and some description he can pick it up. That way you will be doing the owner a favor and not be joining the ranks of the thieving scum bags. Obviously the person doesn't know it the area was logged. I know that if it were mine I'd appreciate the fact that you were concerned enough to do that. Just saying. Other than that, I'd say the other folks that said just leave it are right

Sounds reasonable... But that coming from a guy who has spent a grand total of 4 hours in a tree stand in 40 years of hunting...

Barracuda
02-15-2016, 09:49 AM
Game cam ,tree stand ,blind personal and private property left in the bush . how long can you leave something? is it like a camp on crown which is two weeks or do you treat it like a trap on a trap line ?

canoehunter
02-15-2016, 09:56 AM
I like the idea of the note on the tree. It's a brand new double seat rivers edge. In a block within Prince George limits. There will be a ton of traffic by it. I think some guys from down south have left it. I've met them before.
If I want one I'll buy one. I just know it'll get ripped off. Probably by the same guys throwing beer cans and garbage over the trail. Thanks for all the input. I'll know better than to post here again.

rocksteady
02-15-2016, 09:59 AM
I like the idea of the note on the tree. It's a brand new double seat rivers edge. In a block within Prince George limits. There will be a ton of traffic by it. I think some guys from down south have left it. I've met them before.
If I want one I'll buy one. I just know it'll get ripped off. Probably by the same guys throwing beer cans and garbage over the trail. Thanks for all the input. I'll know better than to post here again.

You have seen the differing opinions.. Now make the decision that you feel is right..

stay and post... It can be humorous the way some things get bent way out of proportion..

Phreddy
02-15-2016, 10:01 AM
Uh, could you elaborate a bit on that for me rocksteady? Where did you get that bit on misinformation from. lol
Sounds reasonable... But that coming from a guy who has spent a grand total of 4 hours in a tree stand in 40 years of hunting...

greybark
02-15-2016, 10:13 AM
My tree stands spend more time hanging in the bush than they do hanging on a wall in my shed. When I'm hunting I don't want the noise of setting up. What I love about the EK, is the general respect for other peoples things in the outdoors. In my late season, I leave my stands out after the season closes because retrieving them has become a tradition, the family taking a walk on a sunny snow covered day, a small fire in the bush, a beer at a local pub after. Everyone enjoys it. And, my family know where to come find me next year if I don't come home. I have no issue leaving my stand in the bush. And I leave other people's equipment alone.

Good morning J_T , it looks like your universe is unfolding as it should ..
Cheers

rocksteady
02-15-2016, 10:21 AM
Uh, could you elaborate a bit on that for me rocksteady? Where did you get that bit on misinformation from. lol

Sorry Phreddy... I was identifying me, as being the one who has only sat 4 hours, trying to show that I am the furthest thing away from a tree stand expert...

J_T
02-15-2016, 10:23 AM
Game cam ,tree stand ,blind personal and private property left in the bush . how long can you leave something? is it like a camp on crown which is two weeks or do you treat it like a trap on a trap line ? Is it a question of 'how long' or a rule or law? I see it more as the unknown code of hunter ethics. We respect each other and their pursuit and we respect their activities and equipment in that pursuit. Just because Gov make a 14 day rule for camping, doesn't mean we should be judging each other for it. Unless you want their camp spot, or that Honey tree.... IMO.

adriaticum
02-15-2016, 10:38 AM
Tree stands are much the same as blinds. If you see one in the bush, don't mess with it.
If you hunt in the area a lot and don't see anyone in and around it, leave a note of some sort and see if anyone is attending it.
It would be a shame if someone left it behind and it ends up being eaten by time.

If I am going to use someone's tree stand or a blind I would try to improve it.
If they show up while I'm in it, I would thank them for letting me use it and move on.
It can be very simple.
Reasonable people get along just fine.

Barracuda
02-15-2016, 10:44 AM
cant really say hunter ethics either as tons of different groups use crown land . back east you have to have your contact info on your tree stand which I don't think is a bad idea . I know I feel nervous leaving a game cam out. I have a tree stand but would I leave it on crown?? private yes crown im not so sure .

personally I would like to see some kind of clarification . tampering with a game cam could be considered interfering with a hunt whilst leaving a game cam for extended periods could also be considered unsporting .

Ryo
02-15-2016, 10:46 AM
Not to condone stealing, but come on, be responsible for your actions and clean up your stuff. People want to stare at a rusty tree stand (20 years!!) as much as they want to stare at a pile of beer cans.

Other provinces (Manitoba for example) have rules about leaving ID on a stand left on crown land, same way you'd leave ID on crab pots - but they also have rules about having them taken down with 14 days of hunting season.
Tree stand left up, without ID - you're assumed a poacher. Etiquette there is different than etiquette here however, which is different than etiquette in Quebec (where it's normal to put up a sign 'reserving' your moose on crown land).

We don't have rules here that would cause one to assume that a left tree stand indicates poaching. It's far more likely that they thought it was far enough back into the bush to remain hidden e - which it wasn't if they put it up in the middle of cutblock marking tape, or they are lazy, or they feel entitled to treat crown land as private land. you're best course of action is contacting the local CO to have it removed if you're either questioning its legitimate use or would simply like to NOT see it stolen now that it's out in the open.

A car left on a public street without being moved eventually gets towed too - both to protect the rights of all users of public land, and to protect that car from being stolen.

i should add, I don't really care about a left tree stand personally, it's pretty unobtrusive - though a good way to give up a honey hole!! The 'unspoken hunter's code' in Quebec does grate on me. I'd hate to see our province go that way.

HarryToolips
02-15-2016, 10:46 AM
LOL they can't rip your head off from a keyboard so don't worry about it..

Barracuda
02-15-2016, 10:48 AM
Tree stands are much the same as blinds. If you see one in the bush, don't mess with it.
If you hunt in the area a lot and don't see anyone in and around it, leave a note of some sort and see if anyone is attending it.
It would be a shame if someone left it behind and it ends up being eaten by time.

If they show up while I'm in it, I would thank them for letting me use it and move on.
It can be very simple.

I have a bit of an issue with it .

if joe blows leaves a treestand or blind out as a means of claiming an area isn't that a bit of a stretch? its one thing for someone to set up on a hunting trip but another for someone to lay claim to an area as if it is there own private reserve

adriaticum
02-15-2016, 11:22 AM

if joe blows leaves a treestand or blind out as a means of claiming an area isn't that a bit of a stretch? its one thing for someone to set up on a hunting trip but another for someone to lay claim to an area as if it is there own private reserve

No, I'm not saying Joe is claiming the area.
There is no such thing as "claiming an area" unless you've put a down payment on it to the bank.
If you know what I mean.
I will move on from the tree stand, but that doesn't mean I am not hunting the area.

IslandBC
02-15-2016, 11:37 AM
It can be very simple.

its because of guys like yourself that Im going to put whoopie cushions under my tree stand seats ! All quite sneaking in through the bush and up into my stand then.... PFFARRT !! LOL

sawmill
02-15-2016, 01:17 PM

if joe blows leaves a treestand or blind out as a means of claiming an area isn't that a bit of a stretch?

Please quit taking my name in vane. What`s wrong with Dick Head or Bob Basterd?

finaddict
02-15-2016, 01:47 PM
I'll say what most are thinking....YOUR A IDIOT ! I won't express an opinion on the tree stand dilemma, (already enough said), but does anyone besides me find the deliciously ironic humour in the quote...........?

sawmill
02-15-2016, 02:10 PM
I won't express an opinion on the tree stand dilemma, (already enough said), but does anyone besides me find the deliciously ironic humour in the quote...........?

Right,should be "yer an idjit."

fuzzybiscuit
02-15-2016, 02:14 PM
I won't express an opinion on the tree stand dilemma, (already enough said), but does anyone besides me find the deliciously ironic humour in the quote...........?

Oh no, now the grammar police are going to show up...lol.

But yes, most people seem to have a higher opinion of themselves than the rest of us do. I think 300H&H would be surprised what a lot of members thought after reading that last post of his as it was totally uncalled for.

You have to feel for the OP. Come on here with the best of intentions asking a fairly simple question and then people jump all over you. Welcome to HBC...you better have thick skin. Lol.

tikkatac
02-15-2016, 11:03 PM

Welcome to the site, Sorry for the replies you've received so far but unfortunately most of the people who assume you're up to no good do so because for some reason ill intent is the first thing that enters their mind.

I can only speculate that most who thought the OP wanted to steal it did so because that's the first thing that would cross their mind in this situation?? I'm only speculating though...

I honestly thought by reading the first post that he wanted take it down and try and recover the owner before some a$$ hat stole it for themselves, this is after all a community board and we're all friends here aren't we? Why the hell would he come on here and ask permission to steal it... Idiotic assumption.

I don't post a lot on this board but when the keyboard pirates start bashing on someone for asking a simple question without first establishing his intent it drives me crazy.

Pretty tough to get more members to join the forum when posts like this pop up.

Thanks for reading. Let the comments commence.

Bugle M In
02-16-2016, 12:00 AM
Welcome to the site, Sorry for the replies you've received so far but unfortunately most of the people who assume you're up to no good do so because for some reason ill intent is the first thing that enters their mind.

I can only speculate that most who thought the OP wanted to steal it did so because that's the first thing that would cross their mind in this situation?? I'm only speculating though...

I honestly thought by reading the first post that he wanted take it down and try and recover the owner before some a$$ hat stole it for themselves, this is after all a community board and we're all friends here aren't we? Why the hell would he come on here and ask permission to steal it... Idiotic assumption.

I don't post a lot on this board but when the keyboard pirates start bashing on someone for asking a simple question without first establishing his intent it drives me crazy.

yaaa....x2
too many itchy trigger fingers here at times.
I have always felt that people can/will disagree, but it should be done respectfully.
Enlighten people with fact filled comments, not bash them with verbal abuse.

scotty30-06
02-16-2016, 12:07 AM
Informing someone to not touch things that aren't theirs isn't having a itchy trigger finger or bashing them....he asked a question and people answered...kinda weird question to be asking in the first place....but I would think you would/should leave it and learn from that person's mistake

Phreddy
02-18-2016, 09:54 AM
Ditto from me.

finaddict
02-18-2016, 03:46 PM
Oh no, now the grammar police are going to show up...lol.

But yes, most people seem to have a higher opinion of themselves than the rest of us do. I think 300H&H would be surprised what a lot of members thought after reading that last post of his as it was totally uncalled for.

You have to feel for the OP. Come on here with the best of intentions asking a fairly simple question and then people jump all over you. Welcome to HBC...you better have thick skin. Lol. Yeah I thought his question was very well intended. Some people just jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Promise not to be the grammar po-po.:mrgreen: Not everyone uses spell check or has perfect literary skills and neither do I, but when someone wants to suggest that the other person is an idiot, I would think it would be appropriate to spell that insult correctly.:oops:

Skin thick enough for HBC? On any internet forum, if your skin is thin, you will never win.......:wink:

Billy52
02-20-2016, 07:21 PM
I would not touch it. Its not mine…….should be left alone and the the way it was found. Hopefully owner returns to get it before somebody does steal it.

srthomas75
02-20-2016, 08:13 PM
Well canoehunter....you've gone very quiet.

With the feedback you have received, honestly what do you think you should do ?
I would take it. Now that it isn't hidden because of the logging. Leave a note with your number. Owner can claim by identification.