View Full Version : Back country tents

r_haines
02-09-2016, 09:54 PM
I am looking for a good spike camp tent lightweight small and waterproof any suggestions?

BlackNock
02-09-2016, 10:43 PM
Very happy with my MSR NX one man.
Light
Easy quick set up
Didn't break the bank
I like the MSR tents and Ive used them guiding over the years simply due to the cost vs quality. There are better tents out there and I'm sure guys will chime in but spending 800 plus on a piece of nylon that marmots, ground squirrels and porcupines chew on when your out hunting I can buy 3 MSR tents. Tough to beat at the price point there in Big Agnes and even the MEC tents are good. I know some guys that spend 50bucks on Crappy tire tents and they work just fine to. Ive had a few MSR tents and I know there are tone of reviews on them with very few negative reviews....

RiverOtter
02-09-2016, 10:49 PM
Budget?

MSR makes some good tents and they're priced not too bad. If you're looking for a light weight bomb shelter the Hillebergs are great, though a ll t pricier.

decker9
02-09-2016, 11:27 PM
X2 on the msr nx, I used a 2 man last season, over 20 nights and lots of rain and some snow, it held up well and kept us dry with the ground sheet. Tight fit for 2 grown men, but as a spike camp tent, it fits the bill for not a bad price.

Islanderr
02-09-2016, 11:39 PM
X3 on the msr. Great price great quality and packs down insanely small. Has a vestuable for a pack if you can't fit it into the tent. My sleeping pad my tent and sleeping bag fit right inside my pack with tons of room left for everything else, while only weighing 5lbs

scotty30-06
02-09-2016, 11:42 PM
Yup gonna get me one of those tents....sounds good with reviews

NorBC
02-09-2016, 11:54 PM
Nobody is going to want to hear this... But we got the new Kuiu prototype tent to demo this season. We have 4 hillebergs and they were all left at base camp. I don't know what they retail for but they are 1000 times better than the first tent they came out with. They were bomb proof and so much lighter than the hille. That being said if weight isn't an issue there has never been a bad review on a hille..

BgBlkDg
02-10-2016, 12:38 AM
I have owned/used a lot mountain tents and will not buy anything other then Hillebergs, but, BOY, they are costly!

I like MSR and Mountain Hardware tents and many of the older Marmot tents were great, too.

If, you can find a good. used Calgary-made Integral Designs MKI, I-XL or MKIII tent, not the Chinese-made ones sold now, these are outstanding, but, not very roomy.

boxhitch
02-10-2016, 01:47 AM
Had two different new MSR tents leak rain in through the fly. It is torture laying watching the mesh overhead knowing a drip is about to drop onto your sleeping bag.
Asked Buddy "Hey these are new. Did you seam seal them like in the instructions ?"
"Instructions ? What instructions ? " he says.

Some manufacturers take the time to make sure their tents are finished before they go out the door.

eric
02-10-2016, 06:06 AM
Just bought a Hilleberg, The Nallo 3, can't wait to try it out on our Sheep hunt this yr.
Quality looks superb..
But with the exchange rate where it's at ,very pricey.

I think there is a Nallo 2 for sale in the buy and sell here at HBC

SR80
02-10-2016, 07:27 AM
Nobody is going to want to hear this... But we got the new Kuiu prototype tent to demo this season. We have 4 hillebergs and they were all left at base camp. I don't know what they retail for but they are 1000 times better than the first tent they came out with. They were bomb proof and so much lighter than the hille. That being said if weight isn't an issue there has never been a bad review on a hille..

Good to hear they are actually testing their tents before selling them this time.:):):)

RackStar
02-10-2016, 07:48 AM
I got the MEC camper2. It's really a 1 person fits me and my rifle perfect. It's a good price too. Super light

GrouseRiver
02-10-2016, 08:59 AM
I'll add another vote for MSR, though I also used the Marmot UL-2 this fall and was fairly impressed.

I ran the MSR Elixir 2 for a 10 day trip and found I had plenty of space and easy access to my gear with the two vestibules. Set up is dead simple and very fast, which I sure appreciated when the weather turned nasty.

The Marmot UL-2 was outstanding in terms of the feature set to weight ratio, though definitely a smaller unit. I'm 6'1" and 200lbs and would've been hard pressed to squeeze another person in with me. The vestibule was a little small, but for a quick overnight haul where you can leave some gear outside, it was pretty slick.

There is no shortage of good tents on the market so I'm sure you'll be able to find something you'll be happy with, but if I had to make a short list, it would certainly start with MSR.

Cheers,

Justin Paterson
Community Ambassador

combine pilot
02-10-2016, 09:52 AM
Depends on what you like or want. Single door/vestible or double door/vestible. 1-2 or 3 man tent. Which ever way you decide I would seriously check out the Big Agnes line of tents. I have a Copper Spur UL 3 and it is awesome. Comes in at 4 lbs.

nicktrehearne
02-10-2016, 09:58 AM
For a one person tent, I love my MSR Hubba (it's the old one, not the NX). It has yet to let me down in any season.

charlie_horse
02-10-2016, 10:29 AM
I've been quite happy with my msr hubba nx 2man. Slept two guys and my dog for weekend goat trips, albeit cramped and wouldn't go on a big sheep trip like that. With the 2 vestibules packs go in there. But I've been through a couple serious rain and windstorms and woke up dry.

GoatGuy
02-10-2016, 10:32 AM
Had an MSR for about 5 years, never had an issue. Seen the weather, and even slept 3 guys/dog in it a few times. Works great

primitive
02-10-2016, 10:34 AM
Kifaru Megatarp or Sawtooth. I have both. The Megatarp with the titanium stove is roughly 1/2 the weight of my Nallo 3 that I sold.

goinghunting
02-10-2016, 10:57 AM
Kifaru Megatarp or Sawtooth. I have both. The Megatarp with the titanium stove is roughly 1/2 the weight of my Nallo 3 that I sold.

Do you have condensation issues with these single walled tarps?

Good Old Outdoors
02-10-2016, 10:59 AM
I have the MSR NX2 I took it on a goat hunt last year, my gear stayed dry and so did we, the 2 vestuables are handy

NorBC
02-10-2016, 11:01 AM
I'll add another vote for MSR, though I also used the Marmot UL-2 this fall and was fairly impressed.

I ran the MSR Elixir 2 for a 10 day trip and found I had plenty of space and easy access to my gear with the two vestibules. Set up is dead simple and very fast, which I sure appreciated when the weather turned nasty.

The Marmot UL-2 was outstanding in terms of the feature set to weight ratio, though definitely a smaller unit. I'm 6'1" and 200lbs and would've been hard pressed to squeeze another person in with me. The vestibule was a little small, but for a quick overnight haul where you can leave some gear outside, it was pretty slick.

There is no shortage of good tents on the market so I'm sure you'll be able to find something you'll be happy with, but if I had to make a short list, it would certainly start with MSR.

Cheers,

Justin Paterson
Community Ambassador

I would second the elixir 2 for a cheaper quick tent. We ran them a lot in the early season, and they held up ok.

BCHoyt
02-10-2016, 01:19 PM
Nemo Morpho 2

HarryToolips
02-10-2016, 01:23 PM
Ya I'm happy with this one, quick, easy setup, good material for the price..easy to order on Amazon.ca
http://www.amazon.ca/Backpack-Forest-6-Feet-6-Inch-X4-Feet/dp/B0006V2B2I/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1455135667&sr=8-18&keywords=tents

ryanb
02-10-2016, 02:55 PM
Ya I'm happy with this one, quick, easy setup, good material for the price..easy to order on Amazon.ca
http://www.amazon.ca/Backpack-Forest-6-Feet-6-Inch-X4-Feet/dp/B0006V2B2I/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1455135667&sr=8-18&keywords=tents

Just goes to show you, everyone has their own idea of mountain gear. If that's what you can afford it's fine if it gets you out there...even if you're a bit damp.

Ride Red
02-10-2016, 04:39 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSL2pkGOux8nzU30CQDLMc4h-Bl5v_EVXOTqFyc9TCXvLyen86Keg

My tent's a little heavier, but it sure is comfortable.

604redneck
02-10-2016, 04:59 PM
I've got the kelty gunnison pro 2.1 not a really expensive tent but quick and easy to set up its relatively light and has lots of room. If you do buy it be sure it's the pro

RiverOtter
02-10-2016, 07:09 PM
Just bought a Hilleberg, The Nallo 3, can't wait to try it out on our Sheep hunt this yr.
Quality looks superb..
But with the exchange rate where it's at ,very pricey.

I think there is a Nallo 2 for sale in the buy and sell here at HBC
Curious, what made you decide on the Nallo3 over the Nallo2 GT?
What colour did you go with? Wish they had the sand colour when I bought, but the green isn't horrid.

Useyourfeet
02-10-2016, 07:21 PM
Switched from a hille akto to a seek outside BT2 jack with a cylinder stove. I wasn't sure on a mid but it took some big weather this fall. The stove is amazing, so nice to be able to dry out and be warm.

Ohwildwon
02-10-2016, 07:49 PM
Depends on what you like or want. Single door/vestible or double door/vestible. 1-2 or 3 man tent. Which ever way you decide I would seriously check out the Big Agnes line of tents. I have a Copper Spur UL 3 and it is awesome. Comes in at 4 lbs.

Good to here!

Going to pull the trigger on the Copper Spur UL 1 soon...

r_haines
02-10-2016, 07:53 PM
Thanks everyone I really appreciate it

Blockcaver
02-10-2016, 08:26 PM
In my experience, stay away from the Big Agnes UL1. High winds flattened it and the foot section is too low for size 13 feet when you are laying on top of a thermarest pad. Not what I needed for a sheep hunting tent and mine is gone.

The Mt Hardware Skyledge 2.1 is a decent tent...light but tight for two guys but works. I've had mine for four seasons and only expect it to go one or two more due to the very thin fabric.

tarzan
02-10-2016, 09:31 PM
we used my partners hubba bubba last year and it was good for 2 big guys on 10 day sheep/goat hunt. i am looking for one man tent, looking at the KUIU, any one used it yet?

Lugg
02-10-2016, 10:02 PM
Ever considered a hammock instead? We love ours, have tents too but can't beat the hammock. Just a thought.

NorBC
02-11-2016, 12:04 AM
we used my partners hubba bubba last year and it was good for 2 big guys on 10 day sheep/goat hunt. i am looking for one man tent, looking at the KUIU, any one used it yet?

Their NEW 2 man was bomb proof, haven't tried a single version.

markomoose
02-11-2016, 08:50 PM
A tarp and some rope!Good enough!You'll see the Grizzly before they chow on your leg.The 870 right beside ya!

RiverOtter
02-11-2016, 10:15 PM
Ever considered a hammock instead? We love ours, have tents too but can't beat the hammock. Just a thought.
How do they work above treeline?

KodiakHntr
02-11-2016, 10:26 PM

Great! You just feel the ground a little more is all.....(grin)

Ohwildwon
02-11-2016, 10:41 PM
In my experience, stay away from the Big Agnes UL1. High winds flattened it and the foot section is too low for size 13 feet when you are laying on top of a thermarest pad. Not what I needed for a sheep hunting tent and mine is gone.

The Mt Hardware Skyledge 2.1 is a decent tent...light but tight for two guys but works. I've had mine for four seasons and only expect it to go one or two more due to the very thin fabric.

Sounds like you are in conditions better suited for a 4 season tent...:-)

Carbonmatrix
02-11-2016, 10:50 PM
Hilleberg Jannu, had an allak loved it but prefer the jannu. Super strong, super easy to pitch and amazing in the worst conditions. Only downside is the vestibule has a bit of a steep slope but unless your storing a ton of stuff it's fine. Ordered a hilleberg tarra also, it's a Jannu with a backdoor... 2 vestibules and straight walls stronger kerlon fabric and poles. Pm me if any questions I have owned a lot of hillebergs.

RiverOtter
02-11-2016, 11:12 PM
Something to pay attention to with the Big Agnes tents is the entry. I've read quite a few reviews that complained about the entry with regards to the slope and rain coming into the tent when the fly was opened. Not sure which models, but it was more than 1. Entry design is something that you should consider on any mountain tent, as inclement weather is always a possibility.

RiverOtter
02-11-2016, 11:15 PM

Great! You just feel the ground a little more is all.....(grin)
Glad I seen this before bed, otherwise you woulda owed me a new tablet......
:mrgreen:

SR80
02-12-2016, 07:25 AM
I have a Big agnes SL2. Nice and roomy for one guy and gear, but ya if you're not careful when opening it you can get water dripping into the inside entrance of the tent.

HarryToolips
02-12-2016, 12:01 PM
Just goes to show you, everyone has their own idea of mountain gear. If that's what you can afford it's fine if it gets you out there...even if you're a bit damp.
You'd be surprised how well it actually works:wink:...and it's light...better than other tents I've used on excursions with the military..

Weatherby Fan
02-12-2016, 12:15 PM
I have a Mountain Hardwear Skyledge 2.1, for one guy its perfect, for two guys its tight but works, but has an entrance on either side with a vestibule over each door for gear, can be separated to just use the fly over the footprint, so far really happy with it.

Cordillera
02-12-2016, 07:36 PM
if you think there will be snow isn't it better to go single wall tent with light stove (kifaru, seek outside, tigoat, etc) than a double wall "dry" tent? I had a buddy headed home after two days snowed in and freezing. If he had a stove, he'd hunker down and dry out and wait out the weather. Most sheep areas are close enough to treeline that if it gets nasty wouldn't you be better to head down a little to treeline and wait out the weather?

Useyourfeet
02-12-2016, 08:03 PM
I've gone single wall and stove. One season in and I don't see myself going back. Being able to get warm and dry is such a nice change from cold and soggy or cold and frozen in the morning.

Vossie
02-12-2016, 08:58 PM
Got the Mountain Hardware Skyledge 3, come in just around 5lb. Was trapped in rain for 60hrs non stop last year and no issues, some condensation after day one but one sweep with a microfiber cloth and no issues. Didn't mind it because after day two in a tent I was getting tent fever.

primitive
02-13-2016, 12:43 AM
Yes. I have the liner in my Sawtooth and the Megatarp I will take 1/2 of the Sawtooth liner and jimmy it in there. I bought the new center zip Kifaru Slick bag so I wouldn't have to worry about condensation dripping occasionally. But there is bit condensation, and the stove alleviates it for the most part.

trigger78
02-13-2016, 09:26 AM
I bought the sawtooth last year and used it on our sheep hunt , that tent was unbelievable !! We got stuck in it for 3days waiting for the rain to pass , having the room to stand up and stretch was worth every penny I paid , my buddy had the nallo 3 and he wasn't so comfy both tents were dry!! The sawtooth with the fly is in my mind is perfect ,it exceeded my expectations !!!!!

SR80
02-13-2016, 09:44 AM
floorless and a stove is a pretty awesome setup. I dont think I would run them in early august when the bugs are thick.

RiverOtter
02-13-2016, 12:34 PM
Curious, are you guys packing tent and stove on back pack hunts? Or are we talking base camp set ups in the back country?

charlie_horse
02-13-2016, 12:41 PM
Curious, are you guys packing tent and stove on back pack hunts? Or are we talking base camp set ups in the back country?

I've been wondering that to

RiverOtter
02-13-2016, 02:11 PM
Much as I love wood heat, wood can be either really scarce or really wet when you need it most, especially near treeline.

jtred
02-13-2016, 08:07 PM
I've been using an Alps Mountaineering 2-man for the past four years and been happy with it so far. It's a lot more comfortable as a 1-man plus gear but two does work. It has two doors and two decent sized vestibules so if there are two of you in there you're not crawling over someone getting out. As for somewhat extreme conditions it's only been tested once, a five night pack trip here in the Kootenays in early October where we set up camp in 9-10" of snow and it snowed for a couple of nights. It stayed dry and upright without any problem. I bought the footprint also to spare the bottom and always have a 8x10 Siltarp I can rig up for extra protection from rain or wind. I found the siltarp really handy for setting up over the vestibule, it gives me a place to remove boots, really wet gear, and a place to cook out of the weather.

Blockcaver
02-13-2016, 10:56 PM
Jtred x 2.....I agree with having the Siltarp II as it offers 8' x 10' of coverage and wind screening at 16 ounces of weight with light cording and a few stakes (7" sections of carbon arrow shafting with aluminum roofing nail tips and heads epoxied in). It makes a serviceable back-up tent with the addition of your hiking poles that you can carry with you. I wouldn't want to tent in it during warm buggy weather though, at least not without some bug screening.

SR80
02-14-2016, 08:37 AM
these tents and stoves are very lighweight. Stove probably weighs around 1lb (titanium) and the shelters are very light for the square footage you get. The stoves come apart and pack into nice compact package. They're pretty slick..but you need wood, so above the treeline you'll be packing it. My buddies setup here is a palace for 2 guys, and altogether weighs less than 4 lbs.
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/scottreidy/IMG_1374_zpsrwluqiau.jpg (http://s996.photobucket.com/user/scottreidy/media/IMG_1374_zpsrwluqiau.jpg.html)

dbergen69
02-14-2016, 09:32 AM
How are the floorless tents in the rain and snow? I would think that water would come in and the ground inside the tent would be soaked.

Bighorn hunter
02-14-2016, 09:40 AM
Have a kifaru paratipi and a 8 man tipi. Stoves for both and have found them to be the bomb:). Have never set up in the snow but have in the rain. As long as u don't set up in a depression which u wouldn't in a floored tent either I have never had a problem with water coming in. Running the stoves is almost a must as I don't run liners to help keep the weight down. Don't see myself ever switching back to a regular tent

cheers
bh

Bear Brawler
02-14-2016, 10:00 AM
I have the 2 man Kuiu, it's awesome in my opinion. I had an issue with the first one, used it on my 10 day sheep hunt and it got me through. I sent it back and they replaced it with one of the new ones, bright orange. Initially it seems way more bomber than the last. I can't wait for my sheep hunt this August. The only tent I would consider getting now would be the Kifaru sawtooth with stove

SR80
02-14-2016, 11:04 AM
How are the floorless tents in the rain and snow? I would think that water would come in and the ground inside the tent would be soaked.
rain or snow isnt an issue. Just don't set it up in a depression like mentioned. For bug season a lightweight bivy would be handy.

shootthesheep
02-27-2016, 12:17 AM

I second this vote. Have the same tent - love it.

Rackmastr
02-27-2016, 12:34 AM
This is what I'm running now. Took it to the Kawdy for 10 night last year and it was stupid cold/rain/wind/sleet/snow and kept me happy, warm, and a ton of room for all of my gear.

I've owned Hillebergs and loved them, but wanted to try something different. So far very impressed with the Tarptent. It will be on a few sheep hunts this year.

https://www.tarptent.com/stratospire1.html

KodiakHntr
02-27-2016, 07:31 AM
What was the weight on that Trev? How inconvenient is it to set up and take down every day?

Rackmastr
02-27-2016, 07:43 AM
What was the weight on that Trev? How inconvenient is it to set up and take down every day?

Simple to set up and take down. I've got the swap out poles, so I don't use my trekking poles unless I am just doing a quick overnight trip, so don't have to worry about setting it up or taking down daily.

I'll have to check the weight with the poles, been a while since I put it on the scale.

KodiakHntr
02-27-2016, 09:14 AM
Appreciate it, if you get a chance. If not, no worries.

Stresd
02-27-2016, 09:27 AM
This is what I'm running now. Took it to the Kawdy for 10 night last year and it was stupid cold/rain/wind/sleet/snow and kept me happy, warm, and a ton of room for all of my gear.

I've owned Hillebergs and loved them, but wanted to try something different. So far very impressed with the Tarptent. It will be on a few sheep hunts this year.

https://www.tarptent.com/stratospire1.html

Excellent quality and functionabilty.
I have the Stratospire 2 and over three years of sheep hunting, I have found it to be and awesome tent in all kinds of weather. Will sleep three in a pinch and and easy 4 people if taking the nest out. Love the 2 large vestibles, separate entry for each guy and a place to store your own pack and gear on your side. Easy less than 2 minute setup. Under 3 lbs with lots of room for two 6' plus guys and all their gear. Packed size of 16" x 4 " One miserable 14 day pack in trip stuck at 5500' in a nasty 2 day wind driven blizzard of snow sleet rain, . Only takes about 30 seconds for me to unhook the nest and push aside (with my bag etc in it) to make comfy (now floorless) room for 2 other hunting partners who were sheltering the storm out in a small 2 man Mec tent to come over stretch out and cook lunch, then BS and play some crib.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg0Yo8dBY0I

RiverOtter
02-27-2016, 10:27 AM
Simple to set up and take down. I've got the swap out poles, so I don't use my trekking poles unless I am just doing a quick overnight trip, so don't have to worry about setting it up or taking down daily.

I'll have to check the weight with the poles, been a while since I put it on the scale.

I'm curious as well.....

Have often thought about leaving the inards of my Nallo2 GT behind, but then I'd prolly wanna downsize, as it's like a single car garage in there.......:lol:

Floorless is nice option in a tent for a few reasons, not just weight.

Hunt247
02-27-2016, 01:00 PM
After hunting out of a 2 man for a few years, going with a buddy with a 4 man kafaru tipi and stove was like staying in the Hilton. We did a 10 hunt with 5 days of rain and it sure was nice to have the stove for drying out. I wish I would have purchased my own before the dollar sunk. Good to see guys posting options.

tarzan
02-28-2016, 06:58 PM
interesting. PM me to chat some more if you like