PDA

View Full Version : 3D course and the traditional shooter ?

buddyrip
02-09-2016, 09:54 PM
Just wondering how the typical 3D set-ups, which is mostly shot by compound shooters, make it interesting for the trad shooters. My understanding is that the trads shoot from the cubs stakes. Could a course set-up ad another stake for the trads where distances would be from 5 to 30 yards or could that also be the cubs stakes. What do you do?

hardnocks
02-09-2016, 10:05 PM
we have the trads shooting from the youth and womens stake . we have no trad shooters that help with setup so not a lot of thought go`s into it .

greybark
02-09-2016, 10:11 PM
Separate stakes for Tradies , official shoots 30 yds max . Local clubs keep shots interesting and sometimes extend the distances .
Treat yourself to as many events as possible , you will learn more in a week-end than two years on your own .
The TBBC Rendez-vous this year in Rock Creek on the long May long week-end is considered by many as a must go !!!!
Cheers

Foxtail
02-09-2016, 10:16 PM
I usually shoot from the trad stakes with my recurves but for fun sometimes shoot from the compound stakes.

E.B.
02-09-2016, 10:33 PM
Just wondering how the typical 3D set-ups, which is mostly shot by compound shooters, make it interesting for the trad shooters. My understanding is that the trads shoot from the cubs stakes. Could a course set-up ad another stake for the trads where distances would be from 5 to 30 yards or could that also be the cubs stakes. What do you do?
There are 4 stakes at every shoot ive ever been to. Mens compound, womens compound, traditional, and cubs. Always 4 stakes.

OutsyderBC
02-10-2016, 06:26 PM
I have yet to attend a shoot in this country where I thought the pegs were unreasonable for traditional archers or that they were dismissed. Sometimes shots err on the easy side by clubs not having stick bow input but otherwise it's all usually good. 3D shooting is mostly about fun anyways so we can often mix it up and make your own shots especially if there's nothing to play for.

Coyote
02-10-2016, 08:56 PM
On the island we have three stakes, compound, traditional and cubs. Years ago we had women's stakes but they gave us hell and said they would shoot at the same stakes as the men. Distances depends on target size generally and run from the occasional shorty (5 yards +/-) to thirty or forty for moose size critters. Average deer shot would probably be 20 yards. Not all shots are "stand-up-straight". There could be kneeling shots, shooting under a low hanging obstacle, shooting behind yourself etc.

RoscoeP
02-11-2016, 09:11 AM
Our club in Courtenay has 3 stakes, blue for compound, red for trad and yellow for the younger ones. We shoot from the blue a lot on our practice rounds and from other safe areas to change it up a bit.

The Hermit
02-24-2016, 04:33 PM
I'm not a competitive guy, so when I'm shooting my trad or self bows at a 3-D, I typically ignore the stakes altogether and shoot from where ever the hell I want! I ignore the scoring rings too because lots of them are meaningless as far as what would be an ideal placement for a "clean kill" in a hunting situation. Don't go getting your panties in a knot... I don't submit scores either! :-) I do buy tickets on the draw prizes! ;-)

BiG Boar
02-24-2016, 05:33 PM
Anyone going to shoot mission Sunday?

Brez
02-24-2016, 05:49 PM
We have got compliments from trad shooters on our stake placement and shot set up. Lots of thought put in to it. I set up hunting situations and not interested any more on hearing arrows shatter in the rocks. Have to agree with "The Hermit" on scoring rings. If you shoot them, it's not as such good practice for hunting situations, other than having to focus on a point. Shoot as many 3-d as possible as there is nothing like it for practicing hunting shots - even if you have to shoot from your own spot (as long as it's safe).

Onesock
04-23-2016, 09:48 PM
Try shooting the scoring rings just to see if you hit them. Shoot against yourself!

Shooter
04-23-2016, 10:34 PM
I was just out today finalizing the lay out of our local 3d shoot and the one thing I can tell you is I hope people at least shoot from the designated stakes. If a trad guy wants to shoot from the compound stake or a compound wants to shoot from the trad stake then have at it. As long as you aren't putting scores in shoot from whatever stake you want as long as it's a stake. We go through a lot trying to ensure that our course is safe. That includes all of the angles of the shots. We have gone over the course a few times, shot to shot making sure nobody ever is in line with another shot. that also means if you miss and are behind the target looking for an arrow we don't want you to be in harms way or even a perceived harms way from another shooter. A couple of yards one way or the other can change the angle of where you are looking for your arrow if you should miss.

On another note we have some VERY cool shots set up this year and a whole new course lay out :)

J_T
04-23-2016, 10:52 PM
Shot the Cranbrook 3D today. 4 stakes . The gang there put in a lot of effort on the shots. Different classes might shoot a different target and all stakes are together. Some shots where you have to know your arc.
Good crowd. Lots of campers. Lots of youth. Great terrain.

greybark
04-23-2016, 11:23 PM
Good post Shooter , the stakes are there for several reasons . They are placed to challenge the shooter with misleading yardages , awkward stances and imposing obstacles . Confidence gained from these senarios imposed on you are much more of a benefit then those self asigned . As far as not shooting at the rings , If you can`t hit them , you can`t hit your chosen spot . One does not have to keep score but should be aware of their kill averages . Not all but many times the so called non scorers spend time checking out the score board LOL . Scoring keeps track of your progress particularly when starting out with the various changes in form evolve .
The attitude "I`m only here for the door prises" is an excuse for poor shooting and offer no reason to improve .
Touch the damn stake and keep score (you don`t have to post it ) , your score card will tell you what to work on and be a better archer and most important a better Bowhunter . The enjoyment factor increases with your confidence in handling the so called gimmies and the challenging shots which are a part of Bowhunting .
Cheers

Bowzone_Mikey
04-24-2016, 07:07 AM
Come up to PG for Provincial Championships ... you will see some interesting and fun shots ... yet able to challange enough as a provincial championship should be able too

greybark
04-24-2016, 07:26 AM
Will be there and ask Ted S about the time we hi-jacked a bus to get us to the Legion . LOL

Shooter
04-24-2016, 08:51 AM
Come up to PG for Provincial Championships ... you will see some interesting and fun shots ... yet able to challange enough as a provincial championship should be able too

Aww man Ive been thinking about it. It's just such a long trip from here. Contemplating taking 1o days and just making a trip out of it.

Langleybushcrafter
04-24-2016, 09:40 AM
There are 4 stakes at every shoot ive ever been to. Mens compound, womens compound, traditional, and cubs. Always 4 stakes.

This is probably a really stupid question but why do women have a separate stake?

Shooter
04-24-2016, 09:55 AM
A lot of times they shoot a much lower poundage and have a hard time reaching out to the longest yards. On the Island here they never have another stake and they seem to do just fine.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-24-2016, 02:29 PM
This is probably a really stupid question but why do women have a separate stake?

Archery Canada rule book for 3D
, page 28 sets out distances
there is no distinction between mens and womens officially, Not sure why there was originally ... never has been indoors, if a Frog is out at 47 yards indoors ... then both sexes had to shoot it

http://www.archerycanada.ca/images/stories/FCA/Rules/2015/English/EN-Book4_Field_&_3D_v21_19Dec14.pdf