PDA

View Full Version : Coyote confusion

HeadingOutside
02-08-2016, 04:16 PM
Hey all,

It's looking like me and a buddy will have tomorrow off and thought we would go try for some coyotes. We are in the Fraser valley but willing to drive 3 hours or so..

Any spots or tips? This is a first for both of us

Devon

rocksteady
02-08-2016, 05:14 PM
They are the most elusive animal to hunt, bar none...

hunting elk or whities is child's play compared to outsmarting them...

try hey hand calls (rabbit distress) or shots of opportunity (There's one, shoot it)

Fella
02-08-2016, 06:04 PM
Do either of you have a fox pro? They seem to work pretty good...

ruger#1
02-08-2016, 06:14 PM
Do you work on a dairy farm? Where do you dump your dead cows? On the farm they have a pit for the dead. Lots of trees around it. It is shotgun only. SSGs work good on the yotes. Also use a Fawn bleat. Haven't seen to many mangey ones this year. Seen two at the shooting pit. Would of been a 600 yard shot.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-08-2016, 06:16 PM
Head up the Fraser canyon where the sheep hang out or head over to Merritt

russm
02-08-2016, 06:38 PM
Ive seen quite a few around cache creek/clinton, had 2 run up tight beside me when i was tucked into a bit of blind waiting on a mule deer at first light, they jump pretty high when u sqeuak at them and spook em.

todbartell
02-08-2016, 07:15 PM
I'd head to some open country. Find some fresh sign, get off the road a 1/4mile or so, find a shady spot to hide and break up your outline, then try some rabbit distress calls. Keep an eye out downwind, they'll almost always circle downwind. Best to set up so your downwind side is a wide open space where they'll have to expose themselves to catch your wind. I'd stay put 30 mins, calling for 30-45 seconds and sit and wait for 3-5 minutes before repeating. Move around 1km between stands and repeat. Have fun

BChunter
02-08-2016, 09:39 PM
I heard a chilliwack based hunting club were clobbering lots of the scurvy dogs! That's good news considering the F-Valley once had pheasants and even a few grouse. Probably as bird shot gunning has been curtailed, these dogs roam more unmolested or never shot at. There was a time when 22's were shot everywhere and stray coy-dogs were good rifle practice! I say a river otter in the Nic last year and lots of crayfish! Made my day!

bcshadow
02-21-2016, 04:56 PM
I have seen quite a few in the Logan Lake area during hunting season. I make it in about 3 1/2 hours from Coquitlam. I have used a cheap but effective "Cass Creek" electronic call, which has brought them in.