PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Around Kelowna

albertahunter
02-06-2016, 05:47 PM
Good day fellow Outdoorsmen and Outdoors Ladies,

I have just applied for a job with the Kelowna Fire Department and if I get the job will be moving there from Alberta. I am just curious how the hunting for Deer and waterfowl are in the area, My brother has already filled me on some elk info its it just the other two. No I am not looking for a 6 figure grid reference to your favorite hunting spot just looking for a general Idea of deer and duck/goose numbers in the area. On a side note are big whitetails routinely pulled out of there or do you have to hunt pretty hard for the big boys.

358mag
02-06-2016, 05:59 PM
Quick tip draw a 40 mile radius circle around Kelowna its all good deer area . Very Very Very busy place you wont be alone out there. If your willing to lay down some boot leather you will find some decent spots for deer . There has been a "few" decent Whitetails in the 150-160" class but few and far between that come out every year .
Sorry cant help you out with waterfowl .
Good Luck on your move and remember what BC means ... Bring Cash .....

monasheemountainman
02-06-2016, 06:02 PM
There is good deer hunting all around the okanagan. Yes if you drive around on the roads you will see lots of people, but it's big country get out of the truck and you can days without seeing anyone. Waterfowl not so much.

IronNoggin
02-06-2016, 06:16 PM
Where abouts in Alberta??

... On a side note are big whitetails routinely pulled out of there or do you have to hunt pretty hard for the big boys.

There is indeed decent hunting for Mulies, and south of there not bad for whitetails.
That said, depending on where you hail from in Alberta, the whitetails are going to look to be a tad on the smallish side... ;)

Cheers & Welcome to BC!
Nog

monasheemountainman
02-06-2016, 06:30 PM
Yeah definitely not the big farm bucks like Alberta, but there is the odd cranker

Muliechaser
02-06-2016, 08:17 PM
Good day fellow Outdoorsmen and Outdoors Ladies,

I have just applied for a job with the Kelowna Fire Department and if I get the job will be moving there from Alberta. I am just curious how the hunting for Deer and waterfowl are in the area, My brother has already filled me on some elk info its it just the other two. No I am not looking for a 6 figure grid reference to your favorite hunting spot just looking for a general Idea of deer and duck/goose numbers in the area. On a side note are big whitetails routinely pulled out of there or do you have to hunt pretty hard for the big boys.

Im sure if your brother filled you in on elk info there should have been alot of deer info in along with it ... good luck !

Mc

Muliechaser
02-06-2016, 08:18 PM
Yeah definitely not the big farm bucks like Alberta, but there is the odd cranker

Odd as in just stay home boys its not worth it :lol:

monasheemountainman
02-06-2016, 08:37 PM
Precisely ;-).....

finngun
02-06-2016, 10:23 PM
welcome to bc...but move fast...need 6 months in bc before ya can hunt as any other bc residens...:wink:cheers f-g

savagecanuck
02-07-2016, 09:43 AM
Region 8 is the most hunted in the province. Yes I get my bucks here every year in my tried tested and trued spots, but you have to share with lot's of other hunters.

fireguy
02-07-2016, 10:47 AM
Plenty of hunters work at KFD. I'm sure you will be able to tag along with one or two of them.

Singleshotneeded
02-07-2016, 11:29 AM
Just go east from town on Hwy. 33 and you're in business...welcome to Kelowna!

primitive
02-08-2016, 12:14 AM
Save your vacation time and drive the 7 hours back to Alberta for the big ones. Most of the chimps in the KFD hunt, you can piggy back with them. But don't waste your time in the OK, unless you are out to kill a meat buck. Seriously.

doubled
02-08-2016, 01:12 PM
A lot of the KFD guys hunt so you will have already alot of hunting buddies soon with all the local knowledge you will need.

HarryToolips
02-08-2016, 09:45 PM
As previously mentioned, region 8 is a hard area to find big bucks, as we have a tonne of hunting pressure and a lot of road access....that being said, there are big bucks everywhere, so work hard enough at it and you will find I'm sure, good luck!

p0stij
02-08-2016, 11:49 PM
I moved to Penticton from Alberta in May of last year. All the deer I've seen out here look SMALL comparatively. That said there are a whole lot of em if you don't mind shooting little mulies.

.300WSMImpact!
02-09-2016, 10:44 PM
If you like dudes, then you will like hunting in Kelowna, I live in Kelowna and prefer to hunt where there is less people so I hunt 1 to 2 hours away, in almost any direction. Like said above if you like 1-3 year old deer you should be able to fill the freezer, good luck have fun

Omenator
02-10-2016, 06:25 PM
Waterfowling in the Okanagan is aggravating, you see lots but there never in a spot where you're allowed to shoot them!
And the deer in most spots aren't huge due to heavy hunting pressure.

Rayne
02-10-2016, 10:04 PM
I beg to differ postij the biggest deer I've seen in my life was in pentiction last year. Made my 160 inch 4 point look like a rat.

BigfishCanada
02-10-2016, 10:06 PM
Dont listen to these guys, amazing whitetails and mule, moose and bear also. Great hunting minutes from town