PDA

View Full Version : Retriever training

Powderman9
02-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Has anyone used the Mike Lardy "Total Retriever Training" DVD's? Any thoughts on it or any others? I have a 9 month old yellow lab and want to get some structure in the training process. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Ovis17
02-06-2016, 03:04 PM
Been using the Hillman program with my golden pup since she was little (she's now 14 months old). Very positive results. Bit gentler than Lardy who uses ear pinches and walking sticks etc. I guess it just boils down to the personality of your dog and your own abilities/preference. I had started with Aycock/Farmer system but my pup didn't take too well to ear pinching.

FirePower
02-06-2016, 05:35 PM
Mr. Powderman9, grew up training gundogs and I highly recommend Ken Roebuck Gundog training Spaniels and Retrievers, excellent instruction in the old school British method.

lorneparker1
02-06-2016, 06:31 PM
Follow Lardy's TRT and you will have a great dog. Btw Lardy didn't invent ear pinch and heeling sticks....Force fetching a dog the way its done on TRT has been the norm for a long long time. Hillmans approach to FF is relatively new.

I highly recommend lardys TRT.

Lorne

Foxton Gundogs
02-07-2016, 09:26 AM
Another vote for Ken Roebuck. I have been training flushing retrievers for far to may years to count and while I agree "force" breaking a dog will give you a reliable retriever it doesn't have to be done with ear pinches and nerve lines. My Gramps discovered many years before I was born that a "conditioned hold" can be taught from puppyhood using the pups natural instinct to chew. Give the pup a couple of your fingers in a leather glove, it will take them and want to chew. Put slight pressure on it's lower jaw with the thumb stopping the chewing and give the hold command, then after a second or 2 say "give" (or out or what ever your release command will be) and remove your fingers, repeat this exercise 3 times a day transitioning to bumpers and then dead birds. As the pup matures and "gets it" you can you can make the hold periods longer and just do it as part of your regular training schedule rather than 3 times a day. I like to use a table once the pup is older but it is not necessary. Follow this routine from the time your pup comes home and I will guarantee you will have a "force" broke retriever without force.

Cdn-Redneck
02-07-2016, 10:17 AM
Te Lardy series is well structured and easy to follow. Dont be in a hurry to get to the next step. I would probably use the Hilman series to do it over again but would still recommend the Lardy DVDs. Make sure you get a good level of obedience before you get started. Lardy provides a flowchart to follow so you don't get ahead of yourself.