PDA

View Full Version : Wild pigs

Langleybushcrafter
02-04-2016, 06:13 PM
I just finished reading an article claiming that wild boar are in BC and the article said there have been sightings in the lower mainland. I know the government a little while ago declared an open season on them but I haven't found any actual proof they exist.

Has anyone actually see them or are they in the same category as Bigfoot?

http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2016/02/04/wild-boars-feral-pigs-double-dose-of-destruction/

notyalc
02-04-2016, 08:21 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?125070-Destructive-and-invasive-feral-pigs-spreading-across-B-C

Ddog
02-04-2016, 08:27 PM
i know of 2 shot in the lower mainland, abbotsford. guaranteed ferral pig.

M.Dean
02-04-2016, 08:47 PM
i know of 2 shot in the lower mainland, abbotsford. guaranteed ferral pig. Any Pic's???

ruger#1
02-04-2016, 09:02 PM
Any Pic's???

It was back in the early eighties. One of the pigs chased a guy up on his truck. My father new the guy. One was shot on Seabird Island also.

Langleybushcrafter
02-04-2016, 09:09 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?125070-Destructive-and-invasive-feral-pigs-spreading-across-B-C

Not sure how I missed that thread.

tyreguy
02-04-2016, 10:02 PM
It was back in the early eighties. One of the pigs chased a guy up on his truck. My father new the guy. One was shot on Seabird Island also.

Must have been at the Alder Inn, I hear they get a little cranky don there!!!!

ruger#1
02-05-2016, 01:25 AM
Must have been at the Alder Inn, I hear they get a little cranky don there!!!!Some of the strippers there look like pigs. Lots of good times there.

scotty30-06
02-05-2016, 02:38 AM
There is some back side of Harrison Lake....saw 1 pic of animal(barely make it out) ....and pics of the wallows...heard about them there a while ago but only saw pics recently

Riverbc
02-05-2016, 08:02 AM
I remember this incident. The head was mounted and hanging on the wall at the Abbotsford Fish and Game Club. I remember commenting on the nasty tusks. It looked more like a Russian boar, than a domestic pig, but could have been a hybrid.
I believe it was up the Chilliwack Lake area. Fellow was hunting deer, and the boar charged him, and the guy ended up in the box of his truck, with his rifle. Pig wouldn't leave, so fellow shot it. This was also in the 80's.

It was thought that it made it's way from the States.

Rob Chipman
02-05-2016, 10:37 AM
Here's another article on it from a few days ago in the Sun:

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/destructive+invasive+feral+pigs+spreading+across/11690807/story.html?__lsa=35cb-f23d

Good times....

Bugle M In
02-05-2016, 01:32 PM
I'd love to hunt wild boar here (tasty)...but.... that being said....
I've seen the damage they can do first hand in Germany, when I hunted them there.
They can tear up the ground like a mini bulldozer!
In other words, they can do a lot a damage in BC.
If I were to see a pig anywhere I hunt.....I'm shooting it...on the spot!
To hunt them though can be a challenge.
Best way is to put out bait...corn/old bread and pastries etc.
Have a tree stand that you can sit comfortably in (like making a fort)
But, in Germany, the best time for success is at Night.
Best on a full moon, as the use of lights is illegal there!!??
Kind of crazy to shoot something in the dark, with only moonlight,....
but it can be done.....crazy but fun.

Ddog
02-05-2016, 01:54 PM
ya there are pics,, but not mine to post, so ....the guy shot two in his yard and it was summer 2015,

86k20
02-05-2016, 06:51 PM
If the government wanted to deal with the issue ASAP all they need to do is publish REAL accurate info as to where these feral hogs are. I am sure there would be a rampage of pork eating crusaders on the way to slaughter them in a hurry.

Buckmeister
02-05-2016, 09:39 PM
Wild Boar or Ferral Pig???

Ferral Pig are domestic pigs that have escaped and are running free. (Had to tell a friend he had better fix his fences cause his one pig kept getting out and would then be legal game for any hunter that came by).

I saw a small herd about 6 or 7 years ago here in the north okanagan. They had escaped from a local farm, never found out what happened to them. One big one was shot last year in Trinity Valley. And another friend had a close call with one that had started to develop a razor back, and his boss had shot one too. Being hearing of more sighting every year.

tadpole
02-06-2016, 07:27 AM
Year ago I had seen 2 and shot one in trinity Valley as well, There is somewhere older thread with Picture on HBC about it.

boxhitch
02-06-2016, 07:56 AM
I remember that. Did you get back for the second one ?
huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?110980-I-met-couple-of-feral-pigs-in-the-bush

ruger#1
02-06-2016, 08:00 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?110980-I-met-couple-of-feral-pigs-in-the-bush&highlight=feral+pigs

RiverOtter
02-06-2016, 12:39 PM
If by Trinity Valley, you mean Bobbie Burns, then I seen those bastids as well. Can't recall if they were both the same color, but one was black and they were both big. Seen them twice around 26km. Figured they were someones livestock that had escaped, so never really thought about going back to snipe 'em.

Riverbc
02-06-2016, 04:23 PM
Wild Boar or Ferral Pig???

Ferral Pig are domestic pigs that have escaped and are running free. (Had to tell a friend he had better fix his fences cause his one pig kept getting out and would then be legal game for any hunter that came by).

I saw a small herd about 6 or 7 years ago here in the north okanagan. They had escaped from a local farm, never found out what happened to them. One big one was shot last year in Trinity Valley. And another friend had a close call with one that had started to develop a razor back, and his boss had shot one too. Being hearing of more sighting every year.

The ones making their way from the southern States, are Russian boar, feral hogs and hybrids. The majority seem to be of the domestic pig, gone feral, variety.

http://wildpiginfo.msstate.edu/history-wild-pigs.html

Dannybuoy
02-06-2016, 04:52 PM
If by Trinity Valley, you mean Bobbie Burns, then I seen those bastids as well. Can't recall if they were both the same color, but one was black and they were both big. Seen them twice around 26km. Figured they were someones livestock that had escaped, so never really thought about going back to snipe 'em.

There is a guy that raises them near there , you could pick out the size you want . They are not the domestic pigs like at Pig City on mable lake road though . You had better make sure its not on private property , or it might be the most expensive pork you ever bought ...:-P

curt
02-06-2016, 08:18 PM
As reported they do a ton of damage that cant be good for anyone or anything and as conservationists as we all are we should be working together to keep them in check, so my point being if you know where some pigs are or have been in the past share the info dont keep it to yourself we need to kill them its in all of our best interest..............the same goes for wolves in reality spread the word work together get the job done its not a competition and its not about honey holes its about preservation!!

ruger#1
02-06-2016, 08:27 PM
They used to have a Wild boar ranch up around Oliver. We sent feed trucks there. I often wondered if any escaped. It has been shut down for a fees years. Drove by it a couple of times. Lots of hogs.

Ohwildwon
02-06-2016, 08:33 PM
As reported they do a ton of damage that cant be good for anyone or anything and as conservationists as we all are we should be working together to keep them in check, so my point being if you know where some pigs are or have been in the past share the info dont keep it to yourself we need to kill them its in all of our best interest..............the same goes for wolves in reality spread the word work together get the job done its not a competition and its not about honey holes its about preservation!!

Well said Curt..:-)

RiverOtter
02-06-2016, 09:52 PM

There is a guy that raises them near there , you could pick out the size you want . They are not the domestic pigs like at Pig City on mable lake road though . You had better make sure its not on private property , or it might be the most expensive pork you ever bought ...:-P

They were in the middle of the road both times I seen them. Nothing against someone farming hogs, but if you can't keep them reliably contained, then you're gonna run the risk of them getting shot. Far as I could tell the pair I seen didn't have ear tags either, which would indicate they were contained at some point.

boxhitch
02-07-2016, 07:23 AM
I read somewhere that it only takes 4 generations of pink domestic pigs in the wild to change colour, character and grow tusks
Canada has to get over the fear and get onside with laws allowing night hunting

bc sportsman
02-13-2016, 12:52 AM
I asked for and got a reply for info on feral pigs in BC:

Thank you for your note regarding feral pigs. There is a large interest in these animals. The current numbers are very low and we are hoping that this is the way that they stay and decline. Due to the low numbers, they have not yet been mapped. The call in reports have been provided information on sightings of the pigs. However, a specific map has not yet been produced. We encourage all hunters to keep their eyes open when they are out in the woods.

Thanks again for your interest.

RiverOtter
02-13-2016, 12:38 PM
Safe to assume then, if they're on crown, take 'em down?

gbrown001
02-13-2016, 03:05 PM
With a lot of the province experiencing high ungulate predation by wolves, I can't see pigs successfully spreading very far from urban areas. There is limited feed for a pig in the deep dark woods, and the big bad wolf is everywhere. Pigs don't eat twigs and lichens, so they would find it tough to make it through an even mild winter. I imagine they would do OK in an agricultural area, but not many farmers would be willing to share their crops with a bunch of hungry porkers. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think we will see many hunting opportunities, other than a few escapees.

86k20
02-13-2016, 04:39 PM
Pigs will eat just about anything including small critters and or anything dead if they are hungry. They ate the hookers at the Pickton farm! To think they will not or cannot survive in our forested areas is silly. There is plenty for them to eat. Down south they will even kill calves and eat them.

RiverOtter
02-13-2016, 04:49 PM
A pig is a survivor. Tough as wolves are on ungulates, a herd of pigs is a formidable force, especially when they return to wild. Sure the wolves with get some, but it won't be without injuries and casualties on both sides.

86k20
02-13-2016, 06:59 PM
I would agree. I think we have predators here that may pick off the smaller and or older pigs here and there but I really don't think even a wolf or grizzly will mess with a pissed of group of hogs. Hogs will turn and fight like hell and once our native predators figure that out I think they will just move on. I would not be surprised to see hogs push other predators out of an area either.