PDA

View Full Version : Do you use thread locker on your gun screws??

gmachine19
02-04-2016, 05:48 PM
So does anyone use thread lockers like loctite on their base/ring/gun screws?

Carrollizer
02-04-2016, 05:51 PM
I don't but with the amount of time I seem to be zero-ing in my rifle I think I might need to start

mddat
02-04-2016, 05:56 PM
I always use blue thread lock on my rings and bases. Just a little insurance so things don't loosen off

Slinky Pickle
02-04-2016, 05:58 PM
Loctite 222MS.... locks well but leaves fasteners relatively easy to remove.

Johnny G1
02-04-2016, 06:00 PM
Haven't yet in 50 yrs.

Surrey Boy
02-04-2016, 06:45 PM
I use thread locker on everything. Different kinds for different applications - consider thread size, type of metal, torque, and temperature range when selecting.

Weatherby Fan
02-04-2016, 06:47 PM
my lapping kit came with thread locker and I put that shit on everything !

bigbuzz
02-04-2016, 06:54 PM
I use it, things stay put.

russm86
02-04-2016, 08:00 PM
Yes, I use it for scope base screws and sometimes trigger adjustment screws, not my scope rings though.

Surrey Boy
02-04-2016, 08:13 PM
I use it, things stay put.

Not only stay put, they come out without stripping and breaking when they'd otherwise seize from ten years of stress and rust.

Daybreak
02-04-2016, 08:25 PM
Not only stay put, they come out without stripping and breaking when they'd otherwise seize from ten years of stress and rust.

True that ^.

The actual metal to metal contact on even well machined screws and threads is about 60%. Loctite serves to fill all the voids and minimize corrosion, especially between dissimilar metals. Best applied to the first few threads of the screw so that as it is wound in it is forced up onto the remaining threads. Sometimes to remove the tiny loctited screws it is helpful to heat the tip of the screwdriver or hex key with a torch and allow the heat to transfer from the tip into the screw.

TreeStandMan
02-04-2016, 08:41 PM
+1 blue thread lock on base screws.

M.Dean
02-04-2016, 08:46 PM
I use "Velcro"! That way I can change scopes for every different range and distance, and it sounds neat when you tear the scopes off!

Daybreak
02-04-2016, 09:00 PM
I use "Velcro"! That way I can change scopes for every different range and distance, and it sounds neat when you tear the scopes off!

What, like the Velcro on your hunting slippe..I mean boots?

lip_ripper00
02-04-2016, 09:40 PM

jelvis is that you? I used to enjoy mdeans posts appears you have taken him over

lip_ripper00
02-04-2016, 09:42 PM
If you do use locktite a single point soldering gun on the screw for a minute will release it.

Salty
02-04-2016, 09:46 PM
I use the tiniest bit of blue lock tight for bases sometimes but no where else. For the rings I make sure the threads are all perfectly clean add a smidge of oil and torque them all evenly and don't have any troubles. I have had troubles taking rings apart that have lock tight on them even the blue plus its a pain in the ass to clean the threads properly after so I avoid it.

hparrott
02-04-2016, 09:50 PM
Blue loctite on bases but not ring screws.

gmachine19
02-04-2016, 09:54 PM
Blue loctite on bases but not ring screws.

Not ring screws eh? why is that? just a preference?

Surrey Boy
02-04-2016, 10:21 PM
Blue Loctite isn't recommended for threads smaller than 1/4". Read the directions before use. Loctite also fails above 250°. There are many kinds of thread compound available.

KBC
02-04-2016, 10:54 PM
I use the tiniest bit of blue lock tight for bases sometimes but no where else. For the rings I make sure the threads are all perfectly clean add a smidge of oil and torque them all evenly and don't have any troubles. I have had troubles taking rings apart that have lock tight on them even the blue plus its a pain in the ass to clean the threads properly after so I avoid it.

You might be over-torquing the threads with grease on them. Wet torquing changes the torque values.

wrenchhead
02-04-2016, 11:16 PM
There is a purplish pink coloured loctite that is recommended for small fasteners.

Treed
02-04-2016, 11:29 PM
To heck with purplish, pink, mauve, lock tight - is crazy north shore jelvish (I grew up there) the same person as Heffley (I hunt there) MDean!!! Holy crap.. Who killed Jr!!

Treed
02-04-2016, 11:32 PM
By the way, could you guys stop talking about over lubricating and wet torquing screws. I'm trying to be married!

wrenchhead
02-05-2016, 08:48 AM
To heck with purplish, pink, mauve, lock tight - is crazy north shore jelvish (I grew up there) the same person as Heffley (I hunt there) MDean!!! Holy crap.. Who killed Jr!!
Haha just go ahead and put red loctite on screws then you will never have to worry about them coming loose.

Stresd
02-05-2016, 08:59 AM
Trick I use for removing screws or bolts that have been installed with a thread locker is to hit them with a little heat to soften the plastic that makes up a thread locker.. On larger bolts with factory locker applied I hit them with the torch for a bit. On small screws like those used on a scope I use will apply the
hot tip of a soldering gun to the screw for a few seconds. This softens the Thread locker enough, allowing for easy removal with out damaging the screwhead or threads.

Salty
02-05-2016, 09:57 AM
You might be over-torquing the threads with grease on them. Wet torquing changes the torque values.

Might gain a tiny bit more thread but torque is torque that won't change. Oiling before using any fastener is a good practice if you can think of any way it could do harm that would be interesting to hear I sure can't. Also some years back guntech posted about doing this, if its good enough for Dennis its good enough for me.

Stresd
02-05-2016, 10:30 AM
Might gain a tiny bit more thread but torque is torque that won't change. Oiling before using any fastener is a good practice if you can think of any way it could do harm that would be interesting to hear I sure can't. Also some years back guntech posted about doing this, if its good enough for Dennis its good enough for me.

Lubrication reduces friction allowing more torque.

http://www.enerpac.com/en/torque-tightening

One of the most common misconceptions about using a torque wrench to tighten bolts is that the torque reading on the wrench indicates how much load is on each bolt. The reading on the wrench only tells you how much twisting force is being applied on each bolt. The actual clamping load will be much, much higher, and will depend on the friction in the threads, the size, pitch and diameter of the treads, and the length of the bolt. More clamping load could possible crush/squash fragile objects like scope housings maybe?

Salty
02-05-2016, 10:39 AM
We're talking inch pounds here the first thing that would 'crush' is the tiny little threads not the scope rings or bases or more likely the screw will break.

Stresd
02-05-2016, 12:30 PM
We're talking inch pounds here the first thing that would 'crush' is the tiny little threads not the scope rings or bases or more likely the screw will break.

So?? It's all relative, regardless whether we are dealing with Inch ponds or Foot pounds. It's only on a different size scale. As you stated before. Torque is Torque. But lubrication reduces friction allowing greater clamping power at the same torque in a clamp type situation

One of the most common misconceptions about using a torque wrench to tighten bolts is that the torque reading on the wrench indicates how much load is on each bolt. The reading on the wrench only tells you how much twisting force is being applied on each bolt. The actual clamping load will be much, much higher, and will depend on the friction in the threads, the size, pitch and diameter of the treads, and the length of the bolt. More clamping load could possible crush/squash fragile objects like scope housings maybe?

guntech
02-05-2016, 04:53 PM

That practice works well...

Lightly oiled scope ring screws cinch up very tight very easily because of less friction on the mating surfaces... good and tight is good and tight long before it became politically correct to torque every bloody gun screw to a specific value.

hardnocks
02-05-2016, 05:50 PM

Lightly oiled scope ring screws cinch up very tight very easily because of less friction on the mating surfaces... good and tight is good and tight long before it became politically correct to torque every bloody gun screw to a specific value.
good and tight......you talking about ring screws .....or a german virgin...lol

new leopold ring and base screws come with a tiny bit of blue locktite on them .

KBC
02-05-2016, 06:47 PM

You will basically be stretching those little screws more than they were meant to be stretched but to be honest I'm sure the wet loctite will have a similar effect. Maybe not as much but at least a little.
Torque is not just torque, a little extra on some things can be devastating where as others not so much.

KBC
02-06-2016, 10:28 AM
So I mounted a scope last night on my new Vanguard S2 and used blue loctite on all the screws. Before mounting I lapped the rings so the screws went in and out a couple times dry before final mounting with loctite. They are definitely lubed a little from the loctite so you are wet-torquing them either way unless you put them in dry.

Jagermeister
02-06-2016, 01:23 PM
I do on all but very sparingly

Salty
02-06-2016, 07:07 PM

Reminds me of an old welder that built a heavy duty aluminum boat trailer for me and we were working through all the specs just before taking it to get inspected and certified.
Me - you got a torque wrench Dutchy? Says here wheels must be torqued to axle manufacturers specifications.
Dutchy - ya I got one. .. What ever happened to just tighten the ****ers up?

:)

Daybreak
02-06-2016, 08:33 PM
37 years ago I replaced the cylinder heads on what was already a vintage Enterprise diesel and the torque specs (straight out of the manual) for the head bolts was "two good men on a six foot bar".

Surrey Boy
02-07-2016, 12:05 AM
37 years ago I replaced the cylinder heads on what was already a vintage Enterprise diesel and the torque specs (straight out of the manual) for the head bolts was "two good men on a six foot bar".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterprise_Engine

Now owned by Cameron.

donny.brooke
02-08-2016, 07:26 PM
The loctite rep gave the guys in our shop a full seminar on there products. He recomended the purple stuff for any small fine thread stuff on guns, its like water and runs like crazy. Clean dry threads with a dab of loctite torqued to the proper spec is a recipe for trouble free shooting.

375shooter
02-09-2016, 01:02 AM
For over 30 years I never used anything on my base or ring screws. I don't recall ever having a problem with any of my rifles. Lucky maybe? Just mounted a scope on my .223 and because of this thread I decided to used blue Loctite. It can't hurt, right?

donny.brooke
02-09-2016, 06:16 AM
I dont have purple loctite so I use blue on all my base screws and never had an issue getting things apart after or having things shake loose

DIRTY-THIRTY
02-09-2016, 05:27 PM
"Nature's loctite !" - throw some sand in the hole and cross thread it!

ruger#1
02-09-2016, 05:31 PM
"nature's loctite !" - throw some sand in the hole and cross thread it!

lol.......

375shooter
02-13-2016, 12:13 AM
"Nature's loctite !" - throw some sand in the hole and cross thread it!

Hilarious.