PDA

View Full Version : Transporting question

walnutz
02-04-2016, 02:21 PM
Without having to find my regs im just wondering whats the rules for transporting your game already butchered in a cooler? Going to start doing all my deer either in the bush or at the cabin before I travel home and just use a yeti cooler. have not really looked into this until now. Thanks for any help. Im assuming the head would be enough??

Glenny
02-04-2016, 02:23 PM
Not a good idea.

BigD_83
02-04-2016, 02:36 PM
The problem with butchering in camp is that there is no direct evidence that the detached head, or sex organs, are part of the same animal. Of course, DNA evidence would back you up in court if it ever came down to it, but from a layman's perspective, I think you would be acting outside the letter of the law.

Ferenc
02-04-2016, 02:37 PM
Best call a co on this before you start... You'll need a letter while transporting

Salty
02-04-2016, 02:51 PM
Proof of sex and a tuft of hair attached to one of the pieces of meat. One easy way is leave the tail and a testicle attached to a boned out rear 1/4

brian
02-04-2016, 02:56 PM
Technically it would be illegal unless you had it inspected first. It would probably be up to how much of a dick the CO was who discovered the cooler full of meat and how much effort you went through to prove everything was on the up and up.
From page 20 of the regs.

Removing evidence of Sex & Species
Evidence of species and sex may be removed from the carcass or the hide of game:
-after it arrives at a person’s normal dwelling place and is butchered and stored there for consumption on the premises,
-after it is taken to a meat cutter or the owner or operator of a cold storage plant, or
-after it has been inspected by a qualified Compulsory Inspector.

dakoda62
02-04-2016, 03:00 PM
Perhaps filming the entire butchering, from gutting to wrapping.

Salty
02-04-2016, 03:05 PM
Technically what would be illegal brian? If you are referring to my example above that is perfectly legal.

lol @ Dakota :) A lot of people like to make this a lot more complicated than it is. Maybe hire a lawyer to witness the vid too. lol

butcher
02-04-2016, 03:17 PM
A lawyer seems excessive. Probably just a notary would be fine. Provided of course you had the required affidavits from three independent witnesses.

tikkatac
02-04-2016, 03:28 PM
Without having to find my regs im just wondering whats the rules for transporting your game already butchered in a cooler? Going to start doing all my deer either in the bush or at the cabin before I travel home and just use a yeti cooler. have not really looked into this until now. Thanks for any help. Im assuming the head would be enough??

Cut the head off and take it with you. Pretty sure if you have a 2 point buck head and 400lbs of meat the CO's going to know something is up. Besides that, these people do this for a living day in and day out, They know when you're full of $hit and when you're not.

wideopenthrottle
02-04-2016, 03:50 PM
Cut the head off and take it with you. Pretty sure if you have a 2 point buck head and 400lbs of meat the CO's going to know something is up. Besides that, these people do this for a living day in and day out, They know when you're full of $hit and when you're not.

you have more faith in honesty and true justice happening than I do...I do like the idea of filming it (with scale to weigh it) but then it starts to get more complicated than just bringing it home and doing it there...

wideopenthrottle
02-04-2016, 03:53 PM

I had a CO that said he could not tell that my moose was a cow just from looking at it...that was an eye opener cuz it is pretty damn obvious to anyone who has ever gutted a moose of each sex that they are completely different shape between the inner thighs area when gutted and skinned

J_T
02-04-2016, 03:56 PM
From experience, if you have 4 quarters of an animal hanging and you have the head detached because it was easier to pack out that way, and those five parts of an animal are all you have in camp, in the opinion of some CO's, that's not good enough evidence.

tikkatac
02-04-2016, 03:59 PM
you have more faith in honesty and true justice happening than I do...I do like the idea of filming it (with scale to weigh it) but then it starts to get more complicated than just bringing it home and doing it there...

I guess I haven't had any bad experiences with a CO yet (knock on wood) So I'm a little optimistic that they're all honest straight shooting individuals who still believe in innocent until proven guilty.

Going back under my rock now... it's getting dark

Brno22F
02-04-2016, 04:13 PM
From experience, if you have 4 quarters of an animal hanging and you have the head detached because it was easier to pack out that way, and those five parts of an animal are all you have in camp, in the opinion of some CO's, that's not good enough evidence.

Sounds to me like you met an a$$h0Le, not a CO.
Then pity the poor ba$t&rd who debones his sheep and carries it it on his back for many gruelling miles.

Mikey Rafiki
02-04-2016, 04:25 PM
Sounds to me like you met an a$$h0Le, not a CO.
Then pity the poor ba$t&rd who debones his sheep and carries it it on his back for many gruelling miles.

Deboning may be fine, but keep the weenie with a small piece of hide attached to that deboned meat.

I've seen someone almost get a ticket when the head was cut off the body and he forgot to keep the other evidence of sex attached. You could put the head back on and it matched perfectly with the cut marks and everything, but that's not good enough. This is standard whether or not they are an asshole.

albravo2
02-04-2016, 04:47 PM

Yeah, every now and then you have to tell someone with a badge that he/she is being a dick.

I don't have a copy of the regs at my desk, but I don't recall ever reading anything about keeping the head attached, assuming you keep proof of sex and a tuft of fur attached to one of the quarters.

brian
02-04-2016, 05:14 PM
Technically what would be illegal brian? If you are referring to my example above that is perfectly legal.

No I was referring to the OP's original question, what you said would be perfectly legal.

dakoda62
02-04-2016, 05:31 PM
WE got stopped by the CO in 108 for a game check, 2 moose deboned, in bags, frozen in the freezer, all he wanted to see was tags and licences. Testicles were attached but at the bottom of the freezer and frozen solid. Said wasn't interested as we had the antlers.

walnutz
02-04-2016, 08:55 PM
For example during 4 point or better mule deer season the testicles and tail left attached would not be enough since you would also require the rack to actually prove it was legal?This is not listed clearly either? Or at least I didn't read it clear if it was. I thought having just the head along with all the meat would be enough but I guess all depends who you get.

Salty
02-04-2016, 09:03 PM
If there's antler restrictions yes obviously you need to have the antlers too.

Glenny
02-04-2016, 09:09 PM
So walnutz I think your best bet is to de-bone and leave hair patch on each hunk and mr peepers attached. And have the antlers with you.