PDA

View Full Version : Back From 2007 Spring Grizz Hunt

GrizGuy92
05-25-2007, 04:11 PM
Day 1
Just pull up into camp, throw the boat in the lake and take off, 30-45 minute hike and we get to our post to watch 3 slides. My dad glasses the middle slide, turns to me "wanna shoot a grizzly? Because theres one right there." Out comes the spoting scope. About 20 minutes later we are sitting at the bottom of the slide where we saw the grizzly eating. I look up and see the brush moving, up go the binos. There he is, at the top of the damn slide!! So we start to hike to the bottom of the next slide where we think he's gonna come out. No bear... Hike back up to our post and start glassing. My dad "there he is!" I'm looking and I see a bear in the corner, "thats a black bear" dad looks "the grizz is looking down at that black bear." The grizzly is about 40 yards from the black bear looking down at him, down the hill we go again. Dad's going 1 way, so I whistle for him to come the other way, but nope, we go his way. Get down to the bottom of that slide and there he is, not 75 yards from us. Dad trying to get me a better shot starts moving brush and he looks at the bear, and that bear was looking right back at him, so off he goes! We walk back up the hill to our post. No bearrrrsss so we start to head out at about 8pm. Take 1 last look at a far slide and HOLY S*** bigg grizzly walking up the slide, so we decide to get him tomorrow. Walking out back to the boat we saw a good sized black bear. Never got a shot at him.
Slept in the truck this night. For about 30 minutes through the whole night!

Day 2
Back to our post we go. Start glassing, I look at a patch of snow, theres a bear walking down the mountain to a slide! Take out the spoting scope and look at the bear... Dad "I'm gonna go take a dump cause I have a feeling we're gonna be hunting soon." I can't see the bear because he went into the timber. Dad comes back and looks through the binos and sees bushes moving? "That bear is running up the mountain! Like running fast!" I look and can't see where it is. Dad "theres another grizz chasing it!!" About 3 minutes later the bigger boar stops and lays down on a patch of snow for about 5-10 minutes. Then off he goes trying to track that smaller bear. So we sit for a couple more hours without seeing a grizz. Some goats and black bears on the slides, start heading out.

Day 3
Backkk to the post! Glass for hours and hours without seeing a bear until my dad saw a Sow and a cub running like hell as far as we can see on the mountain. Couple hours later I hear a stick snap so I look back and theres a black bear. TINY black bear, about 4 footer. Comes about 20 yards from us and takes a dump then lays down. Heading back out without seeing a bear.

Day 4
Pack up camp and drive for about 45 minutes or so to set up camp somewhere else. Hiking down a logging road that isn't really accessible with truck. We see a grizzly walking right down the road towards us! Not enough time to get a shot on it!!!!! So we keep on hiking and hiking and hiking. Found some tracks, about 6 inch front pads on em. Hiking back out we see a black bear on a cut and thats it. Once we get to the truck we start driving down the road and see a black bear on a power line, so we stop and glass, dad "it looks like a good bear in the binos, but in the scope it looks tiny" so we left it. Get back and set up camp, eat dinner. And goto bed.

Day 5
Get in the truck, drive for awhile and put the boat in and zip to another place. Hiking for about 10-15 minutes we see tracks, 2 little sets and a big set. Dad ''I don't like this..." We keep on walking and we here branches break and a grizzly jumps out of the bush with 2 cubs! Both the guns get loaded with bullets in the chambers, safety on. Start waving and yelling at the sow and cubs then they leave, unload and keep walking. We spotted a good sized black bear, dads getting all excited we're gonna sneak up and get my first bear, look over and theres another! Damnit its a sow and a cub! We sit till about 7:45 and start to hike out, about 300 yards theres the sow and cubs feeding! Oh boy, we start to turn to walk on an old road and decide to let the bears know we're there. They leave and we get the hell outta there! Back to camp.

Day 6
Back to the first place. Go up to our post and watch for about 4-5 hours. No bears, at all. So we decide to go look for a black bear. Hiking out we see 1. I decide thats the 1. We start to stalk it. Finally it walks out of the brush, my dad whispers "theres your shot" as I think 'thats not a shot!' All I could see was brush and it's head. So I shoot anyways and missed. Oh well, wasn't a big 1. We start to hike around the lake and look at our boat... One of the life jackets are out of the boat and on the ground? Interesting... We go to check it out and there was a small bear at our boat and he pulled out the life jacket to check it out. Then left. So we hop in and go set up the tent, eat and goto sleep.

Day 7
Wake up, pack up, go into town and a couple bacon n eggers from Mcdonalds and come home.

Sadly no bears. Saw atleast 8 different grizzlies though, lots of black bears, a caribou and 5 moose.

Lots of fun! But was hoping to get my first bear! Ohwell, we are going out for a blackie tonight.

I will have pictures for you all as soon as I can!

GG.

bsa30-06
05-25-2007, 04:28 PM
sounds like a pretty good trip to me.

BlacktailStalker
05-25-2007, 06:48 PM
Good trip, lots of dumps and bears lol. Don't like the "so I shot anyways" though. Etiquette, where is it ?

GoatGuy
05-25-2007, 08:47 PM
Sounds like you had fun.

Headin' up for another crack at it?

quadrakid
05-25-2007, 09:00 PM
great stuff, know what is the story on the bear in your avatar?

Krico
05-25-2007, 11:05 PM
Seeing 8 grizzlies in a week, that's pretty good. Bet you won't take a shot like that again though...Think of it as a learning experience.

GrizGuy92
05-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Here are some pictures from the hunt.
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s158/JamesRiding/Spring9.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s158/JamesRiding/Spring8.jpg

This is the bear that was behind us. He came within 15 yards. 3 Footer! lol
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s158/JamesRiding/Spring6.jpg

Billy jumpin' around - Through spotting scope.
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s158/JamesRiding/Spring4.jpg

GG.

hunter1947
05-26-2007, 06:04 PM
Looks like you had a good trip ,nice looking scenery.

GrizGuy92
05-26-2007, 07:08 PM
Hunter1947 - It was a GREAT hunt! It would of been more great if I or my dad had gotten a grizzly, but thats the way hunting is eh? And its REALLY nice country.

GG.

bushguy
05-27-2007, 07:03 PM
Dad ''I don't like this..." We keep on walking and we here branches break and a grizzly jumps out of the bush with 2 cubs! Both the guns get loaded with bullets in the chambers, safety on. Start waving and yelling at the sow and cubs then they leave, unload and keep walking.

Actually,the sow and two 2 year old cubs came running full tilt out of the bush with cubs at her side,(dont know why)and slammed on the breaks about 50-60 yards from us.A VERY dangerous situation,as they were above us and in a totally dominating situation in the wide open,The sow was agitated and not afraid of us at all.It took us about 3-4 minutes to finally turn her and they walked parrallel to us for about 50 yards all the while with head low and her eyes glued to us.Something must have put the fear into her big time(a boar perhaps?)Ive known grown men (from years guiding)that have panicked and pissed their pants,and not known what the heck to do in a tense situation like that,and a 14 year old boy on his first bear hunt sure did his dad proud!!Oh,guess i should go to wallymart and get me some underwear,,,,lol.:wink:

GrizGuy92
05-27-2007, 09:33 PM
And get some new socks since you had to burn yours :P

Rookie
05-27-2007, 09:50 PM
Wow,sounds like a great trip.Lots of animals right from the get go.Cool photos thanks.