PDA

View Full Version : The Elusive Black Bear

merritthunter
05-25-2007, 02:17 PM
I have been hunting the merritt area for about six years. I have gone out and scouted Iron Mountain, Hamilton Hill, Aberdeen area, Promitory. I have only seen maybe 2 or 3 piles of bear scoot, both about 3 days old. Ive been told that there are more bears in merritt then there are dogs. Has any else who is hunting black bear seen any bears? I have done alot of day hunts and some early evening hunts, but I dont see to many in the area. It just may be that I am not Lucky or has all the logging in the area push the bear out even further? I hear Logan Lake has some nice big Boars. Any suggestions for other areas to hunt? I am just not seeing enough bear sign in the forementioned areas.

Steeleco
05-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Just west of Merritt is Jack Swartz road. The rest is up to you!!

gary mok
05-25-2007, 03:30 PM
I went to Merritt last year but didn't see any bears sight neither then I changed the place to Boston bar and saw 2 bears there but no luck to get it.

steveo32
05-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Try out towards pike mountian i have seen the same boar 4 days in a row 2 weeks ago, just not big enough for me or try spius down the spences bridge hwy always has decent bears. as for logan lake try towards the mine look for tonnes of sign and you will find the holes

steve

Kirby
05-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Like steve said check out Spius, I was down there a couple of years ago on a fire, I think the average count was 15-18 a day.

Kirby

pupper
05-25-2007, 06:12 PM
no there are no black bears in merrit. or deer.

best to hunt in the lower mainland since everyone from there hunts in merrit.

merritthunter
05-25-2007, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the input. I spent all day scouting Iron moutain which looked like PRIME bear territory, but no sign. I think the bears in Merritt must be very constipated!

Marc
05-25-2007, 10:59 PM
Don't get discouraged. The bears are out there you just have to locate them. I never saw a single bear the first year I hunted on the Island. I see more and more every year now. This spring I spent 3 days in the woods and I saw 14 bears.

Try and find a washed out road that has a lot of grass or a deactivated road that the only access is by foot. Bears don't really like places of high traffic.

Will
05-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the input. I spent all day scouting Iron moutain which looked like PRIME bear territory, but no sign. I think the bears in Merritt must be very constipated!
Hunt for them in the evenings..........you should be tripping over them around there this time of year:wink:

X-man
05-26-2007, 07:02 PM
There are too many on Vancouver Island...Do us a favor and come shoot one!

3kills
05-26-2007, 11:17 PM
i havent really been out this year yet but lots of people i have talked areant seenin bears around here either...but take the advice given and head out towards jack swartz road....

graeme
05-27-2007, 12:01 AM
they come out after about 4 pm. look for green grassy or clover patches. drive from one patch to the next. spot and stalk works best .

chris
05-27-2007, 05:08 PM
I hunted merrit for a total of 6 hours last year and saw 2 bears. Passed on the first and took the second. Maybe I got lucky but it seemed they were all over.