PDA

View Full Version : youth rifle

sparkes3
02-01-2016, 08:27 PM
I looking for a youth model rifle for my youngest son ,he is quite a bit smaller than my oldest son so I'm figuring the blr 243 is going to be too heavy for him too pack around for any length of time .
so wondering if anybody on here has a youth model rifle that's collecting dust that you might want to part with to get another young fellar out with dad.

Surrey Boy
02-01-2016, 08:32 PM
Get a CZ 527 Youth. Amazingly accurate and balanced.

02-01-2016, 09:49 PM
Take a look at the Ruger American Compact. They are quite light and handy. i believe Nechako has some in stock.

digger dogger
02-02-2016, 07:47 AM
Hub sports in Abbotford, had a bunch of model 7 youth rifles.
Don't buy the .308 for the young feller.
It kicks like a horse!

Singleshotneeded
02-25-2016, 12:50 PM
Take a look at the Ruger American Compact. They are quite light and handy. i believe Nechako has some in stock.

I got the stainless version for my son, in 7mm-08 because it's light recoiling,(especially with the managed recoil Remington ammo I got for him), and in a couple of years when he uses the standard load Nosler Accubonds, it'll do the job on elk and moose just fine. The fore-end lightly touched the left side of the barrel near the front, so I sanded that down, and used 400 grit sandpaper and up to sand and polish the bolt and it's path through the action, as it was a bit rough. Now it's smooth as silk and shoots just under moa. Since I kinda like my lil' mugwump, I also bought and installed one of the new Timney triggers in his rifle to replace that passable trigger that Ruger had put in the rifle...now it breaks like a glass rod at 2.5 lbs., just beautiful!

TreeStandMan
02-25-2016, 01:17 PM
I've heard good things about the Ruger American too. For a kid I didn't want to break the bank, yet I wanted a good, functional shooter, so some months ago I got my boy a youth sized Marlin X7 (the X7Y) in 243. Last weekend I mounted a Vortex 4-12 on it and it seems like a good setup, if it performs at the range like the other X7 in my cabinet. This said, even though my boy takes after me and is tall for his age, it's still too big for him. My idea, though, is I'll get him used to shooting off the bench and and the range, and then when he's ready for his first mulie in a few years when he's 12 or 13, his shooting will be on point.

The fact that he's excited makes me excited, and I'm ready for him to accompany me on his first outing as resident hunter. For now he'll use the youth sized .22 I had as a boy, and I know a spot with lots of rabbits.

Singleshotneeded
02-25-2016, 09:53 PM
I've heard good things about the Ruger American too. For a kid I didn't want to break the bank, yet I wanted a good, functional shooter, so some months ago I got my boy a youth sized Marlin X7 (the X7Y) in 243. Last weekend I mounted a Vortex 4-12 on it and it seems like a good setup, if it performs at the range like the other X7 in my cabinet. This said, even though my boy takes after me and is tall for his age, it's still too big for him. My idea, though, is I'll get him used to shooting off the bench and and the range, and then when he's ready for his first mulie in a few years when he's 12 or 13, his shooting will be on point.

The fact that he's excited makes me excited, and I'm ready for him to accompany me on his first outing as resident hunter. For now he'll use the youth sized .22 I had as a boy, and I know a spot with lots of rabbits.

I was so happy to read how you got your kid a rifle he can handle, but 12 or 13? My son shot his first two bucks at age ten in the Sept 1-9 youth season, one a fork and one a three point...the first at 40 yards but the second at over 150 yards. He got another one last season at age 11. He most likely wouldn't have gotten either one if he didn't have a bipod on his rifle...he opened up the bipod, put the legs down, aimed, and got his bucks...just like I taught him on the bench at the range. Get an inexpensive Caldwell bipod on your son's rifle and teach him how to use it, and he'll have no problem! Don't miss out on letting him shoot those easy bucks during the youth season, from age 10 to 17!

TreeStandMan
02-25-2016, 10:18 PM
I was so happy to read how you got your kid a rifle he can handle, but 12 or 13? My son shot his first two bucks at age ten in the Sept 1-9 youth season, one a fork and one a three point...the first at 40 yards but the second at over 150 yards. He got another one last season at age 11. He most likely wouldn't have gotten either one if he didn't have a bipod on his rifle...he opened up the bipod, put the legs down, aimed, and got his bucks...just like I taught him on the bench at the range. Get an inexpensive Caldwell bipod on your son's rifle and teach him how to use it, and he'll have no problem! Don't miss out on letting him shoot those easy bucks during the youth season, from age 10 to 17!

You make an excellent point... I'll get him a bipod. It's all about ethical shot placement. If the boy proves he can make shoot well enough, he'll get a chance at his buck.

For me, the thing is that he hasn't spent that much time accompanying me on hunts, so I want to introduce him to things slowly. He's really excited to get out there, loves game meat, and watched me field-dress a dear last fall, but I feel like he should pull the trigger on some small game before he moves on to big game.

But you're right, it's critical to get our kids out there with us. I keep thinking, what a good opportunity to train my new best hunting partner.

Iron Glove
02-26-2016, 09:48 AM
Just a thought, how about a single shot like an H&R Handi Rifle?
Bought one for the Wife to get into shooting, it's a "compact" or "Junior" size .243 for which I loaded up some reduced loads.
Wife is petite, has to put on heels to reach 5 feet, won't comment on her weight as a Gentleman doesn't do that ( or she'd kill me :-P ) and was recoil shy.
Took her to the range and within maybe 20 rounds of increasing loads she was shooting full hunting loads with no problems.
I was quite impressed with the little gun, I carry it sometimes when we walk the dogs in the bush as it's so light and compact.

lowball
02-26-2016, 12:27 PM
I looking for a youth model rifle for my youngest son ,he is quite a bit smaller than my oldest son so I'm figuring the blr 243 is going to be too heavy for him too pack around for any length of time .
so wondering if anybody on here has a youth model rifle that's collecting dust that you might want to part with to get another young fellar out with dad.
I would say that BLR in 243 is your best choice.

sparkes3
02-26-2016, 04:52 PM
my older 10 year old got his first deer with it last year .
I used the 22 standing vertically on the ground butt first and put my hand on the barrel at the right height for him to shoot off .
so shooting sticks will be with us next year.

epicZERO74
02-26-2016, 05:00 PM
.45-70 outta do the trick

Elkhound
02-27-2016, 09:01 AM
7mm 08 is what my daughter uses. Savage trophy hunter youth or a ruger american compact is what I would choose now.

Bi pod is great but my daughter found it too heavy to pack around, Shes pretty small. So I picked her up a Bog pod which I can carry for her. sets up fast and a nice stable rest anywhere. Good luck on your choices

Weatherby Fan
02-27-2016, 09:08 AM
I would look at a Remington Model Seven Stainless Synthetic or a Weatherby Vanguard youth which also comes with butt pad spacers,
either in 243 or 7mm-08