PDA

View Full Version : .303 vs 30-06

samwyse
02-01-2016, 12:35 AM
So I'm considering my first rifle. For a while now I've settled on the 30-06 in a bolt-action. Recently my interest has been piqued by Parker-Hale .303
Anyone have experience with both of these. It looks like the .303 has less powder but also slightly less mass?
also the question of ubiquitous ammo in terms of purchasing. Can you buy .303 anywhere?

Remington721
02-01-2016, 01:08 AM
As this is your first rifle I would maybe take a look at the 7mm-08, its a very light recoiling and very versatile cartridge. A lighter recoiling round would help you develop your shooting skills. But to answer your post, i would definitely be choosing the 30-06 over the 303.

scotty30-06
02-01-2016, 02:00 AM
30-06 all the way...way more versatile

pricedo
02-01-2016, 05:04 AM
Your rifle ought to be an "ought six".
Sold my "disposable" rem 742 off the epps website last fall.
Those 742s had about 1000 shots max in them factory new out of the box and mine stayed fairly solid for not quite that before major shake rattle and roll set in permanently and accuracy started slipping .
I bought a savage 116 stainless weather warrior with the accutrigger and accustock which puts 5 x @165 grain accubond bullets in a group less than 3/4"consistently off benched sandbags.
Great calibre and you can get ammo and loading components just about anywhere.

pricedo
02-01-2016, 05:19 AM
My 118 pound wife hunts with a inherited from her dad Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine in 30-06 that weighs less than 6 pounds and she has no problem with the recoil with full power ammo so I can't see that being a problem for a full grown guy.

ACE
02-01-2016, 05:45 AM
Bolt action 30-06 .......
Common ..... ammo of all weights.
Versatile .....
East to shoot ...

M.Dean
02-01-2016, 08:47 AM
There's nothing wrong with the 303 cartridge, but the 30-06 is better. With the Ott Six you can load real light bullets, and real big bullets, and you can buy Ott-six shell's darn near anywhere. And I'm pretty sure the 303 bullet is .311 in dia, where as the Ott-6 is .308 in dia, so there fairly close in size. Let us know what you decide.

Foxton Gundogs
02-01-2016, 09:07 AM
'06 is the best all around cartridge for HN game, it will do the job from yotes to big bears and bison. As mentioned cheap readily available ammo and bullet variety are two huge plusses

adriaticum
02-01-2016, 09:49 AM
I believe I've seen 303 at CDN tire but that doesn't mean it will be available at your local CDN tire.
On the other hand even my grandma's pasta closet may contain a box or two of '06.
You have a range from 110 gr to 220 gr with '06, so you could pick your own poison.

Surrey Boy
02-01-2016, 10:54 AM
30-06 has every advantage.

dmaxtech
02-01-2016, 11:09 AM
I have both and reload for both. Love my 303 PH. Great gun, fun to shoot, reasonable accuracy for a sporter conversion gun, but my 06 has a much flatter bullet trajectory so much more confident with longer shots with it. My 2c.

604Stalker
02-01-2016, 11:11 AM
As its been said before on here happiness is a large drain hole.

scoutlt1
02-01-2016, 07:05 PM
I don't shoot either one, but for all sorts of reasons, go with the 30-06

samwyse
02-02-2016, 12:05 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. As I said, I was pretty settled on the 30-06 previously. I've shot one before and it's no big deal. I am just curious if anyone had had hunted with both. Or at least fired both and can compare them from experience.

Paulyman
02-02-2016, 12:43 AM
I did things very different than the 30-06 lovers did. It's a great all around calibre, but not fantastic for longer shots on Moose or Deer. Here's what I did. I went with two very flat shooting rifles that are appropriate for the animals I intended them for. I use a 25-06 for Deer and a 300wsm for Moose and Elk, each set up is solid out to 400 yards with minimal bullet drop.

Surrey Boy
02-02-2016, 01:09 AM
I did things very different than the 30-06 lovers did. It's a great all around calibre, but not fantastic for longer shots on Moose or Deer. Here's what I did. I went with two very flat shooting rifles that are appropriate for the animals I intended them for. I use a 25-06 for Deer and a 300wsm for Moose and Elk, each set up is solid out to 400 yards with minimal bullet drop.

Or you could use a .375 for everything.

Between the .303 and 30-06, I advise the 30-06. Every cartridge has its good and bad points, and if you don't mind fewer bullet choices and shorter effective range, that Parker-Hale might work for you. It might also be just a fun gun or a guest gun, because it's good to keep a spare. But as per the OP, most HBCers suggest a 30-06 would be the wisest choice.

RBH
02-02-2016, 01:02 PM
30-06. Forget the 303 -- it might have been a contender in 1925 but it is effectively obsolete now. Sure if you have one it will kill animals, but I would steer clear of it otherwise. As for picking up some 'cheap' gun (i.e. that shoots 303 or other), my advice is 'don't'. You will end up investing all kinds of time and money into making any gun 'yours', and you will be far better off investing that time and money in something that is worth it, not something that is basically a third rate piece of equipment like an old army 303. You don't need to spend the world on a good piece of equipment -- a Tikka or a Winchester M70, for example, will deserve your attentions and last for as long as you want to shoot it.

wideopenthrottle
02-02-2016, 01:45 PM
I have taken deer with both no problem but feel a little more potent when aiming on a moose or other big game that isn't in a perfect shooting position with the -06

samwyse
02-02-2016, 02:55 PM
30-06. Forget the 303 -- it might have been a contender in 1925 but it is effectively obsolete now. Sure if you have one it will kill animals, but I would steer clear of it otherwise. As for picking up some 'cheap' gun (i.e. that shoots 303 or other), my advice is 'don't'. You will end up investing all kinds of time and money into making any gun 'yours', and you will be far better off investing that time and money in something that is worth it, not something that is basically a third rate piece of equipment like an old army 303. You don't need to spend the world on a good piece of equipment -- a Tikka or a Winchester M70, for example, will deserve your attentions and last for as long as you want to shoot it.

Hey this is really good to hear. I guess I was mostly think about the advice "spend money on the glass not on the gun".

RackStar
02-02-2016, 06:03 PM
I love the 30-06. And even if I hated it I would reccomend it over the obsolete 303. Just look at the ballistics, should say it all... That being said I shoot a 300win mag now, I figure if I'm going to shoot a 308 bullet it mine as well be to its full potential... There will never be a day there is not a ott 6 in my safe though.

pricedo
02-03-2016, 03:31 PM
I had 3 x 300 win mag rifles and sold off all but a ruger m77 mk2 stainless with the zytel stock that I truly love.
The 06 goes hunting as much as the mag does.
If I'm hunting big timber clear cuts that extra bit of snot & flat trajectory the mag can deliver helps.
Both are head over heels above the old 303BR tho the lowly limey round has taken an awful lot of canadian moose over the years.

wideopenthrottle
02-03-2016, 03:42 PM
I had 3 x 300 win mag rifles and sold off all but a ruger m77 mk2 stainless with the zytel stock that I truly love.
The 06 goes hunting as much as the mag does.
If I'm hunting big timber clear cuts that extra bit of snot & flat trajectory the mag can deliver helps.
Both are head over heels above the old 303BR tho the lowly limey round has taken an awful lot of canadian moose over the years.
interesting observation on the moose killed by 303......maybe even more moose than people killed by the 303 I bet

ACE
02-03-2016, 04:24 PM
I love the 30-06. And even if I hated it I would reccomend it over the obsolete 303. Just look at the ballistics, should say it all... That being said I shoot a .300Win mag now, I figure if I'm going to shoot a .308 bullet it might as well be to its full potential... There will never be a day there is not a ott 6 in my safe though.

Like RackStar, I also shoot .308 Winchester and Weatherby rimmed .....
Am liking my old M70 Featherweight 30-06 with a Leupold Compact fixed 6X ..... more and more these days. Just nice to pack.
The old .311's aren't comparable ....... but, they and the 30-30 Winchester have accounted for a staggering amount of game ...... and will continue to do so.

Ltbullken
02-03-2016, 04:59 PM
30-06 - full stop. That is all you need. A .303 is okay and it has probably harvested more moose/deer meat than any other cartridge in Canada but it is very dated and most rifles are quite old and will 'tend' to be more inaccurate. You will be able to get 30-06 and 303 ammo equally well but a 30-06 will serve you better across bullet weight range and being able to tailor your needs to what you hunt.

FirePower
02-03-2016, 08:38 PM
interesting observation on the moose killed by 303......maybe even more moose than people killed by the 303 I bet

The current world record was taken near Dawson City with a 303 British.

Brno22F
02-03-2016, 11:41 PM
I have rifles in both calibers and I shoot them a lot. Either one will serve you well. Like most who have replied to this thread my vote goes with the 30-06. There are many reasons why every major manufacturer of hunting rifles chambers one or more of their rifles in this caliber. It is an immensely popular caliber amongst hunters and you can get ammo with 130 grain to 200 grain bullets and some ammo with premium bullets.

The last time the 303 British was chambered in a commercial hunting rifle was the Ruger Number 1 just a few years back and it was a limited production run. Very hard to find anything other than 180 grain bullets unless you hand load. But in reality, for moose, deer and elk, a 180 grain pill from a 303 will work just fine if you do your part.

Don't shy away from a 303 if you find one you really like and one that you shoot well. It is a fine caliber and as the post above noted, the current world record moose was taken with a 303 British.

ACE
02-04-2016, 05:42 AM
Slight de-rail ....... apologies.

Elwood Epps from Ontario was making beautiful rifles from the Enfields .... machined the extra metal off, and combined with a one piece stock ...... gorgeous rifles!
I believe they were a .311 with a very large case .....

pricedo
02-04-2016, 10:48 AM
Slight de-rail ....... apologies.

Elwood Epps from Ontario was making beautiful rifles from the Enfields .... machined the extra metal off, and combined with a one piece stock ...... gorgeous rifles!
I believe they were a .311 with a very large case .....

I presume you're talking about the man & master gunsmith Ellwood Epps and not the store.
I think old Ellwood passed away in 2002.
He sold the Orillia, Ontario store sometime before that.
Unfortunately they don't make gunsmiths like old Ellwood any more.

pricedo
02-04-2016, 11:02 AM
30-06 - full stop. That is all you need. A .303 is okay and it has probably harvested more moose/deer meat than any other cartridge in Canada but it is very dated and most rifles are quite old and will 'tend' to be more inaccurate. You will be able to get 30-06 and 303 ammo equally well but a 30-06 will serve you better across bullet weight range and being able to tailor your needs to what you hunt.

We gotta get a list of those "dated" rounds posted on the trees for the modern day moose to read because they still insist on curling up and dying when shot with them.
My nephew borrowed dads old made in 1949 winchester model 94 in 30-30 from me and dropped a beautiful bull moose in kapuskasing ontario in the fall of 2012 first day out with 1 shot thru the lungs with an equally lowly 170 grain core-lokt factory cartridge.
I had other modern caliber firearms to offer him for the trip but he wanted to hunt with gramps old gun because he and my dad were together when he shot his first deer with that rifle.

Surrey Boy
02-04-2016, 11:18 AM
We gotta get a list of those "dated" rounds posted on the trees for the modern day moose to read because they still insist on curling up and dying when shot with them.
My nephew borrowed dads old made in 1949 winchester model 94 in 30-30 from me and dropped a beautiful bull moose in kapuskasing ontario in the fall of 2012 first day out with 1 shot thru the lungs with an equally lowly 170 grain core-lokt factory cartridge.
I had other modern caliber firearms to offer him for the trip but he wanted to hunt with gramps old gun because he and my dad were together when he shot his first deer with that rifle.

And an SKS will drop a moose, as a recent thread established. That's not what the OP asked and not what Ltbullken was saying.

ditch donkey
02-04-2016, 11:22 AM
as most on here have stated 303 has got the job done in the past, no questions asked. i would say, anything the 303 will do the 06 will probably do better. As far as the future goes regarding bullets and ammunition oppertunities the 303 will most likley decline and the 06 will always be competative.

pricedo
02-04-2016, 11:44 AM
And an SKS will drop a moose, as a recent thread established. That's not what the OP asked and not what Ltbullken was saying.

True, just a harmless anecdotal throw in.

OP ... of course go with a modern rifle in 30-06.
Ruger and savage make some respectable cf rifles that are quite affordable.
Put some decent glass on it.
Doesn't need to be ultra expensive; a leupold "rifleman" 3-9x40 is a solid scope that won't break the bank.

pricedo
02-04-2016, 12:11 PM
So I'm considering my first rifle. For a while now I've settled on the 30-06 in a bolt-action. Recently my interest has been piqued by Parker-Hale .303
Anyone have experience with both of these. It looks like the .303 has less powder but also slightly less mass?
also the question of ubiquitous ammo in terms of purchasing. Can you buy .303 anywhere?

As far as ammo goes I have yet to see a crappy tire or walmart that sells ammo that doesn't have a box or 2 of 303BR or 30-06 ammo.
Some factory 303BR ammo will be loaded with .308" dia bullets.
These are a little small for the old surplus lee enfields as 303BR specs call for a .311" to .312" dia bullet.
If your milsurps barrel is well worn .308" bullets will be even less accurate.
I would slug the barrel of any milsurp 303BR to see where it stands in that regard.

samwyse
02-04-2016, 01:40 PM
Well I'm going to go look at a .303 tomorrow. If I like holding it, hell, I might just buy it. Love hearing all the opinions on here still. I'll let you know if I decide to get it.

eaglesnester
02-04-2016, 02:49 PM
Nothing wrong with the 303 the Brits conquered the world with that weapon and used it to kill everything that walked, talked, crawled, or flies. Now if your a reloader the 303 becomes less desirable because of the design of the bolt and chamber. You will only get 1 possibly 2 reloads out of your brass. Ballistics wise there is not enough difference between em to make a difference. If it were me I would choose the aught6

samwyse
02-04-2016, 03:07 PM
Nothing wrong with the 303 the Brits conquered the world with that weapon and used it to kill everything that walked, talked, crawled, or flies. Now if your a reloader the 303 becomes less desirable because of the design of the bolt and chamber. You will only get 1 possibly 2 reloads out of your brass. Ballistics wise there is not enough difference between em to make a difference. If it were me I would choose the aught6

I looked a little at the reloading. Seems like people like to do some mods to the chamber to increase bass life.

NorthShoreX
02-04-2016, 03:27 PM

Mmmmmmmm, that might be a bit of a stretch.

wideopenthrottle
02-04-2016, 03:45 PM
Mmmmmmmm, that might be a bit of a stretch.
I really wonder though cuz there were a lot more deaths from famine and disease than from battle and many in battle would be bombs, mortars, other weapons (other than the 303)... prolly no easy way to find out for sure either way

NorthShoreX
02-04-2016, 04:12 PM
True, but it was used in 2 world wars by all the British Empire troops and also used during the Korean War. Not to mention it's been floating around for the last 100+ years seeing use in other skirmishes.

I do agree with your other points. ...bombs, disease, etc. However we are discussing people vs moose using the 303 British only.

Brno22F
02-04-2016, 04:47 PM
Well I'm going to go look at a .303 tomorrow. If I like holding it, hell, I might just buy it. Love hearing all the opinions on here still. I'll let you know if I decide to get it.

Just don't come home with a Ross. They are addicting.

Gateholio
02-04-2016, 11:19 PM

The 303 has more taper, so will flow a bit more, the SMPLE action is springy and chambers are often generous. The way around this is to neck size or partial size, so that your brass doesn't get worked as much. This will help increase the brass life somewhat.

.308SLAYER
02-24-2016, 12:38 PM
I have a .303 British it has eal stamped on the side from what I gathered the Canadian rangers used these. I hunted with it for my first year of hunting took a whitey and mule buck and some coyotes. I was happy with it at first but once shooting with friends who have .204s .243s 7mms even 6.5 by 55 were out shooting me at anything over 200 yards. Solid gun out to 200 then in my opinion doesn't shoot as good as I would like might be good enough for some....bought a new .308 super happy with it.

HarryToolips
02-24-2016, 01:09 PM
.30-06 has much better ballistics;-)

Singleshotneeded
02-24-2016, 01:18 PM

Sam, As this is your first rifle, I'd suggest a calibre that's common, so you can find the ammo everywhere and in a variety of kinds- and common means inexpensive, so you can afford to shoot more and practice. The other thing to consider is recoil, as a calibre that doesn't have heavy recoil will be more pleasant to shoot, and people like doing pleasant things more often...so you'll practice and get better. So, the commonest centrefire calibres in Canada are .243, .270, .303, .308, 7mmRM, 30.06, and .300WM. The .243 and .303 have low recoil but are weak and will limit your range, and the .300WM has too much recoil for a beginner and is more than you need, and 7mmRM is more money...that leaves the .270, .308, and 30.06. The .270 with 130 grain flat shooting bullets for deer has 16.5 ft.-lbs of recoil and with 150 grain Nosler Partition bullets for elk and moose, is still just 17. If you're almost exclusively going to hunt deer, this is probably the best choice. The .308 with 150 grain bullets comes in at 16 ft.-lbs, and goes to 18 ft.-lbs for 165/180 grain bullets for elk and moose, and if you're going to hunt them regularly, then this is probably the best choice. The 30.06 comes in at 18 ft.-lbs for the 150 grain and goes to just over 20 ft.-lbs for the 165/180 grain bullets, and only gives you about 100 feet per second over the .308. It's a solid choice but the .308 gives the beginner almost the same power for less recoil, and is equally good on all critters with antlers. The .270 edges the .308 a bit as a deer calibre with it's low recoil, flat shooting 130 grain bullets, but the .308 edges the .270 with it's ability to shoot 165/180 grain bullets for elk and moose. One final thing, if you're thinking of putting in for a bison draw every year in hopes of going on a buffalo hunt before you die, the .270 is out, as you need to use 180 grain bullets to hunt bison. Hope this helps...cheers! :-)

Gumsehwah
02-26-2016, 03:03 PM
Well Samwyse;

As someone who has TWO .303's and NO 30-06's, I can honestly say that all things equal, get the 30-06. You can get the ammunition ANYWHERE and for reloading, you can make it shoot primo from gophers to bull moose, and everything in between. Get a 303 if you can't afford anything else, or if you are in love with the rifle.

Having said that, I was a History major and now teach school history, the Brit .303 IS HISTORY. Plain and simple. I love everything about the .303 - from the report it makes when fired to its hefty profile. I have a 1942 Lithgow (Australian) and a 1917 BSA (British). I would love to get a Korean war vintage Longbranch (Canadian).

You have to LOVE .303 if you are going to hunt with them. Otherwise, get a 30-06 hat is modern with all the bells and whistles.

Hope this helps, but you already have it figured, from the sound of things.

Gumsehwah
02-26-2016, 03:07 PM
Just don't come home with a Ross. They are addicting.

> . . and THAT is why I have been avoiding them. A friend of mine had one, and it gave me goosebumps shooting the thing.:wink:

Downtown
03-17-2016, 11:21 AM
The 303 has a few advantages. An old Beater can usually be bought Dirt cheap like under 100 Bucks. A 10 shot clip gives you lots of Firepower. The Rifle itself is almost indestructible, if you Horse or nowadays Atv goes over it may just bend the Stock screw instead off busting the Stock.

Butt the biggest disadvantage is the Shells can't be reloaded as often as the Dirty pardon me 30-06.

The 30-06 is definitely a well balanced Shell available just about everywhere in Canada where big Game hunting is done.

MichelD
03-17-2016, 11:37 AM
I have a .303 British it has eal stamped on the side from what I gathered the Canadian rangers used these. I hunted with it for my first year of hunting took a whitey and mule buck and some coyotes. I was happy with it at first but once shooting with friends who have .204s .243s 7mms even 6.5 by 55 were out shooting me at anything over 200 yards. Solid gun out to 200 then in my opinion doesn't shoot as good as I would like might be good enough for some....bought a new .308 super happy with it.

As an aside, the EAL Lee Enfield has the rare distinction of being a factory military rifle that looks like a sporterized one.

Found this fyi:

E.A.L. Rifles The E.A.L. rifle was made by Long Branch during the mid-1950's for ESSENTIAL AGENCIES LIMITED, a Toronto Ontario firm. They were made to the same specifications as the C#4Mk.1 except there were no serial numbers on the butt socket of the receiver. The receivers were not ground down to eliminate the usual markings, but were simply not marked. Barrel is correct with the CA markings, and the open sight on the barrel is a MILITARY contract piece. The CIVILIAN pieces had a Mark 2 flip sight mounted on the receiver but was marked for 200 and 400 yards instead of 300 and 600. All pieces were made by CA (Longbranch). The trigger guard is correct, as the loop has been machined off. The receivers were lightened by machining, and marked on the left side with 303 Cal., Serial Number and EAL. There were supposed to be about 7000 of them made, the serial numbers may have started at 1000 as I have never seen one lower than that.

The butt stock is correct, as it is a pistol grip type similar to the #67 Sniper Rifle, and the Jostams recoil pad is correct. The magazine should be a 5 shot, instead of the 10 round one. If you look inside the forestock channel, it should be SOLID, with no lightening cuts as a military forestock. It is a sporter type rifle, but was originally manufactured as such, not as a cut-down sporter. Front sight is correct with the LB stamp. A No.4Mk.1 rear sling swivel is inletted into the forearm. Also check the barrel, it probably is a SIX groove barrel. Safety is correct Canadian (http://www.milsurps.com/content.php?r=117-canada)http://www.milsurps.com/autolinker/images/link6.gif type.

These were originally part of a Royal Canadian Air Force specification for survival rifles, but many were issued to the Artic Rangers. There is a NATO stock number for this rifle.

wideopenthrottle
03-17-2016, 11:39 AM
all this 303 talk has me wanting to dig my old girl out...5 years since it has been fired....sort of retired it when the rear mount screw kept coming loose..pulled the scope, replaced the front sight and was planning on just using it as a bush beater (hunting in really thick bush) but ended up getting another 30-06 as my backup gun to avoid having to carry different ammo.

MichelD
03-17-2016, 12:06 PM
Forty years ago a new Winchester Model 94 30-30 cost $129.99 and you could get a hand-picked factory checked factory sporterized Lee Enfield #4 rifle for $42.99 and every hardware store and rural gas station in Canada had ammunition for it.

A Winchester Model 70 30-06 was $273.95

So you can see why the 303 was popular years back.

And that is just 40 years ago. I have a catalogue from SIR in front of me right now.

They were even cheaper 10 years earlier, but wages were lower too.

I remember when the Model 94 was exactly $99.99 new and you could get a full stocked unsporterized Lee Enfield from Princess Auto for $14.99

brian
03-17-2016, 03:46 PM
Man o man if I could only go back in time with a pocket full of bills!

Western Hunter
03-17-2016, 05:34 PM
Have a Tikka in 30-06, recommended.

saskbooknut
03-17-2016, 07:48 PM
When Lee Enfields were $14.95 I was lucky to be making 75 cents an hour. Those old guns did not come easy, nor did the ammo.

ACE
03-18-2016, 05:00 AM
When Lee Enfields were $14.95 I was lucky to be making 75 cents an hour. Those old guns did not come easy, nor did the ammo.

Walked to the Calgary city limit (82nd Ave. SE) and caught the bus at the bus loop ...... downtown to the Army Surplus ....
Picked out a Lee Enfield from the pile on the floor. Paid $14.95 ...... wrapped in brown paper, caught the bus back to the city limit bus loop. Took the paper off, and walked home.
A kid has to start somewhere .....

wideopenthrottle
03-18-2016, 07:05 AM

so basically for 20 hours work you could get one....min wage now 10.45 X 20 hrs=$209 .....so, just to get a old one now u need to work about twice as many hours...do you know what min wage was back then?

when comparing costs of things long ago to today I always convert it to equivalent cost in beer or hours of work at minimum wage...heheheh

Singleshotneeded
03-19-2016, 11:24 PM
so basically for 20 hours work you could get one....min wage now 10.45 X 20 hrs=$209 .....so, just to get a old one now u need to work about twice as many hours...do you know what min wage was back then?

when comparing costs of things long ago to today I always convert it to equivalent cost in beer or hours of work at minimum wage...heheheh

Minimum wage in the old days? Whatever they wanted to pay...unless it was one of the early union gigs...then you got 60 to 75 cents an hour...

Singleshotneeded
05-20-2016, 11:28 PM
30.06 is far superior to the .303...if you're looking for less recoil then check out the .308...or even the .270 if you're mainly hunting deer...

180grainer
05-21-2016, 12:01 AM

Haven't read the thread but have experience with both. Both are good. 30.06 is better. Ammo is everywhere.........not sure why this took 57 replies to get here.....but here I am....:)

Downwindtracker2
05-21-2016, 09:09 AM
Both now come into their own when reloaded. There was a time when CIL 303 ammo made the 303 into an almost equal of the 30.06. In a P-14 or a Ross you can reload the 303 to the same as a 308. The cases are the same capacity. Since the 30-06 is an old round, factory loads take old rifles into account. In modern rifle it can be loaded to magnum pressures, the 2800 isn't far off the 3000 of the 300WinchesterMagnum.

Tred
07-12-2016, 06:49 PM
Surplus ammo and cheep Lee–Enfields was the 303 Brits selling point.To Today though I would go with 30-06, 308, or 270 though. Cheaper ammo, equal to better ballistics, and more ammo availability.

Someone mentioned the 7mm-08 which is a great flat shooting caliber with low recoil. It isn't as available as 30-06, 308, or 270 thought.

Surrey Boy
07-12-2016, 06:57 PM

Goes to show that inflation is selective, and Canadians are defrauded by socialist economics.

Buckmeister
07-12-2016, 07:33 PM
My first rifle was handed down to me from my Grandfather, a Lee-Enfield .303 made in 1942. I have taken deer, elk and moose with that gun. I have also missed animals with that gun, 180 grain bullets drop a bunch after 150 yards. Still has the punch at distance, but with bullet drop there is way less accuracy. So if your in the field without a range finder and not a bunch of practice at the range, it's basically a crap shoot at anything 200 yards and up. I now have a Tikka T3 300 win mag for longer shots. But I still like the 303 for anything up to 100 yards. Just feels cool to hunt with Granddad's gun, you know? Anyways, anytime I go into a store that sells ammo I check out the selection for 303. There usually is just some boxes of 180 grainers, so bullet selection if very limited, I think I saw a box of 150 grain once. Crappy tire always has 180's in Winchester brand, which my 303 seems to favor.

But as everyone has already said 30-06 is an extremely versatile caliber. So I you want selection, go that route.

HarryToolips
07-12-2016, 09:20 PM
^^^^^150 grainers is all I buy for my lee enfield .303, haven't had much of an issue finding them thus far..

Lucky77_
07-12-2016, 10:03 PM
Well the 303 is like throwing a cock in a school teacher, a lot of fun and it feeds well.
the 06 is more like a collage girl, it'll feed but it's a little tighter.
depends on what you like.

Singleshotneeded
07-12-2016, 11:14 PM
Like Buck said, the .303 will get the job done up to a 150 yards no problem, and my dad and uncle used them to bring two moose home very year in the 50s and 60s...and early 70s...but there are a lot more effective rounds out these days. Get something you can knock a moose down with at 400 yards!