PDA

View Full Version : Muley Crazy: MnT story

Brambles
05-24-2007, 06:37 PM
I just got my current issue of Muley Crazy mag and was shocked to see that Steve Dana shot his mulie in Alberta:mrgreen: didn't see that one coming.

Now the question is, was it a missprint or is he feeding us another line of B.S.? Personally I vote missprint but what the hell do I know:)

Anyways its a Great story, not as long as I thought it should be with all his encounters with said buck, but they never are. Dana didn't come across nearly as arrogant and almighty in this story as he sometimes does on HuntingBC, almost came across as an average guy:wink: ( not meant as an insult Steve just an observation).
Couple little tidbits of info that I'm sure someone is going to jump on his back about, but I'm not going to be the one to start throwing stones in glass houses.

Great story Dana and again, Congrats on a beauty mulie.

Brambles

dana
05-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Thanks Brambles. I got the issue this week as well and am happy with how the story turned out. I started writing the story with the mindset to tell the 'whole saga' but that would have put me way over the size that MC wanted. So I decided to pretty much just tell the 'final pursuit' story instead. I could have easily left out some of the details of the day that make me look like a moron, but that was how she panned out, so I thought, what the hell, tell it like it was. I'm sure it will come up here and it should make for some enjoyable banter. Especially when Bartell finds out.:mrgreen::mrgreen: I know the Brown boys have been just dying to tell. LOL!

dana
05-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Oh yea, almost forgot. While I could easily run with it, I won't this time. The Alberta location was indeed a misprint. Funny that they keep on getting the province mixed up. Last year when they printed the pics of MnT 2005/2006 sheds, they said they were found in Sask. Oh well, at least they got the Country right eh? LOL!

Husky7mm
05-24-2007, 07:29 PM
If I shot a big mulie I'm telling people I shot it in Newfoundland. Be happy! Keep em in the dark!

steveo32
05-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Haha dana you know i almost forgot about the mistake:twisted: Not ****ing likely

cant wait to read the story and i love the misprint :mrgreen:

steve

dana
05-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Steveo,
That is one mistake I'll never live down. No doubt my biggest blunder in my whole hunting career.

steveo32
05-24-2007, 07:51 PM
haha matt was just making some good karma come his way or maybe making up for his knife slip accident by helping some one else out:wink:

cant wait for them to show up

steve

dana
05-24-2007, 08:08 PM
"I had just gotten settled in behind the binos when Matt piped up, 'I've got a buck......and I think it's MassNTrash!' I burst out laughing, 'Yeah right, tell us another one!' Matt focused his spotter on the buck and replied by saying, 'No.....seriously, I've got MassNTrash!' I quickly spun my spotter over and couldn't believe my eyes - it was indeed MassNTrash!
Without wasting a second, we formulated a plan of attack but when I reached into the truck I was absolutely shocked to discover........AUUUGGGHHH, NO RIFLE!! Out of sheer exhaustion, I had forgotten my rifle at home! My head was spinning and I simply could not believe that I could be so stupid."

That ought to get some action eh?

steveo32
05-24-2007, 08:12 PM
Hahah i think you might have jsut sold some muley crazy subs:mrgreen: Tell ryan hatch you want some free gear:twisted:

cant wait for it in the mail

steve

Gateholio
05-24-2007, 08:16 PM
How about posting the whole story, for the members that don't buy Muley Crazy magazine?

8)

Kirby
05-24-2007, 08:18 PM
How about posting the whole story, for the members that don't buy Muley Crazy magazine?

8)

Come on now, just buy the issue...
www.muleycrazy.com (http://www.muleycrazy.com)

Definatly a wicked read, I just wish it was monthly.

Kirby

bsa30-06
05-24-2007, 08:22 PM
still waitng for my issue to come, lookin forward to the story.

frenchbar
05-24-2007, 08:25 PM
just read the story on massntrash.good read Dana.dont ya just hate that when ya leave the shooting iron at home. guess ya owe one to matt lol.

dana
05-24-2007, 08:25 PM
Gate,
I'll wait until the subscribers gets their copies, as I know there are still some BC'ers waiting on Canada Post. I'm very happy with how the format came out. They actually printed 12 of my pics. Most stories get maybe 2 or 3 pics printed. It definately is pretty special.

frenchbar
05-24-2007, 08:26 PM
just read the story on massntrash.good read Dana.dont ya just hate that when ya leave the shooting iron at home. guess ya owe one to matt : :wink:

MattB
05-24-2007, 08:26 PM
I cant wait to read it and see how the pics turned out! :-D

mark
05-24-2007, 08:27 PM
Forgot the rifle at home??? Didnt you relize something was missing on the drive to the bush???? Thats quite the blunder! If it makes ya feel any better, twice in my life ive found myself sqeezing the piss out of my trigger, on 6 point elk, only to relize that my gun wasnt even loaded???? Which is odd because I load up the second I exit the vehicle. Only ever happened on elk for some reason???

.308win
05-24-2007, 08:28 PM
Oh yea, almost forgot. While I could easily run with it, I won't this time. The Alberta location was indeed a misprint. Funny that they keep on getting the province mixed up. Last year when they printed the pics of MnT 2005/2006 sheds, they said they were found in Sask. Oh well, at least they got the Country right eh? LOL!

What ever Dana, I know you, and this story is full of B.S. I know for certain that you shot that deer in the Himalayas, and thats the best snow camoed sherpa ever hired!!!.....I mean look at the amount of snow!!!...LOL!!

Awesome story steve, hope you get to enter a few more!..Just keep an eye on the young feller coming up through the trophey ranks there!!!

dana
05-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Frenchbar,
Man, I was just sick. I couldn't believe it. I was just so exhausted from pounding the ground for days on end looking for him, trying desperately to finish what I had started. The day before was extremely tuff as I was post holing it all day in knee deep snow. I was just plain beat. Physically and emotionally. I woke up in the morning, got the rest of my gear into the truck, started it to warm her up, walked back in the house and poured myself a cup of coffee. While I waited for the truck to warm I sat on the couch pretty much flaked out. When I downed the cup, I walked out the door and drove off, leaving the rifle leaning against my antler pile.

dana
05-24-2007, 08:39 PM
Mark,
Not only did I not notice the rifle wasn't in her usual position right beside me in the truck, but the morning was fogged out. We stood around for 2 hours waiting for the fog to lift. Never noticed the rifle wasn't there until the moment I reached in to grab it and load it up.

steveo32
05-24-2007, 08:40 PM
dana dec 9th was another day i remember well remember the hog we saw in the last 30 min of light. I want him on the ground next year:twisted: Hope everyone enjoys the pics and story and if anyone is wondering about the snow camo it is a columbia wool camo and works awsome:wink:

steve

frenchbar
05-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Frenchbar,
Man, I was just sick. I couldn't believe it. I was just so exhausted from pounding the ground for days on end looking for him, trying desperately to finish what I had started. The day before was extremely tuff as I was post holing it all day in knee deep snow. I was just plain beat. Physically and emotionally. I woke up in the morning, got the rest of my gear into the truck, started it to warm her up, walked back in the house and poured myself a cup of coffee. While I waited for the truck to warm I sat on the couch pretty much flaked out. When I downed the cup, I walked out the door and drove off, leaving the rifle leaning against my antler pile. ive pulled the odd blunder out hunting myself,was glassing a alpine bowl one afternoon for a hour or so .me and my bud headed down the ridge for about 20 minutes before i realized i had left my rifle where we were glassing lol.my buddy still gives me a hard time about it lol.any ways good story and nice Muley.hope to get my boys into some monsters this year.

dana
05-24-2007, 08:49 PM
Steve,
I'll never forget that Dec 9th buck. He needs to die this year.
BTW, The downfall of your wool is it's cost. I pick up all my wool pants at Thrift Stores. Last 2 pairs cost me less that 2 bucks. And guess what??? I'm nice and toasty warm. LOL!

todbartell
05-24-2007, 08:54 PM
couldn't believe my eyes - it was indeed MassNTrash!
Without wasting a second, we formulated a plan of attack but when I reached into the truck I was absolutely shocked to discover........AUUUGGGHHH, NO RIFLE!!

ahhh, so big bucks CAN be spotted and hunted from roads 8)

dana
05-24-2007, 08:54 PM
Hopefully we'll be seeing you down a big ******* soon. I think this is the year. Maybe we'll get lucky and there will be a self-loader to load it in the back of the truck too. ;)

Frenchbar,
I've done the same thing with a pair of binos. Was a long hike back to the glassin spot, but they were right where I had left them.

dana
05-24-2007, 08:56 PM
Yup, no doubt about it. I am the classic road hunter. Funny how you guys have never caught on to the hints of it in past stories. Geeze, I'm sure I've told the story of how I threw my Triple Dropper into the backseat of my wife's car, didn't I?

steveo32
05-24-2007, 08:59 PM
Dana i have not had to pay a penny for any of the wool i have yet thank god there is a santa claus:mrgreen:

maybe this year i will get another pair after the season to replace the oldest set

steve

dana
05-24-2007, 09:01 PM
Just be thankfull you were wearing those the day I burned the tent down, otherwise they may have gone up in smoke. :)

.308win
05-24-2007, 09:13 PM
Dana i have not had to pay a penny for any of the wool i have yet thank god there is a santa claus:mrgreen:

maybe this year i will get another pair after the season to replace the oldest set

steve

Just wondering, could I get your Santa's address?!!...My Santa doesn't/Won't get them for me!!!..LOL!!....Again cool story guys!!

Brambles
05-24-2007, 09:40 PM
I can imagine how you felt on a couple occasions

1. Forgetting your rifle, and how sick to your stomach you must have felt, good think you were able to secure a loaner.

2.Climbing back up the hill after already going down, in the snow, all exausted and trying to make the shot on a buck making his way through the thick sh&t (sh@t). Good thing your scope didn't fog up on you, I know it would have done it to me.

So you spotted him from the road eh? were you on an ATV too???:-D

Too bad the majority of the rest of this issue is all about guided hunts in Mexico:-|

dana
05-24-2007, 09:54 PM
But who can not drool over those Mexican bucks eh? Still some more Canadian content. That whopper for Sask definately is a cool story. No doubt that man knows trophy mule deer. And that other BC buck. WOW!!! I hadn't even heard of that one being killed. They definately wanted more BC content, yet tracking down the names of the hunters from the various BC bucks that were floating around the emails is not the easiest task.

Will
05-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Steve,
Great Hunt, & a Great Story in a Good Rag to Boot !
Congrats again.........You may have earned it :wink:
8)

Brambles
05-24-2007, 10:12 PM
Yeah that 230" buck from Willies Puddle is definitly a dream buck, haven't read the story about the Sask Buck yet, I'll put that on my list of things to do later tonight.

Sure I like to look at those Mexican bucks but I find that I learn next to nothing while reading the stories, every once and a while I pull out some good info but the hunting seems so different. At least with your story and other Western DIY hunts you can usually pick up some good info even if its subtley hidden in the text.

I really like the DIY stuff these days, David Long and Cameron Hanes both have good books on the topics, as I'm sure you know. Now if we can just get them to stop saying " Hunting, the way its suppose to be done, the Eastman's way" its like they are trying to take credit for the invention of backpack hunting???? And those ******ed sayings like Rack Bracketing and Coyoteing out:confused:. Sorry, hit a little bit of a rant there:-? I do like the Eastmans but you have to wade through so much of their marketing.

Oh yeah one thing I want to know is what are you calling "post holeing" not sure I'm getting the right picture..

Brambles

Will
05-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Oh yeah one thing I want to know is what are you calling "post holeing" not sure I'm getting the right picture..

Picture really deep snow.........then try trudging through it:wink:

Kirby
05-24-2007, 10:22 PM

Brambles

Deep snow, your leg drops out and never touches bottom. You post hole. Basically its a way of saying walking in the snow sucks ass8).

Kirby

Brambles
05-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Deep snow, your leg drops out and never touches bottom. You post hole. Basically its a way of saying walking in the snow sucks ass8).

Kirby

Ah yes the old, leg never touching bottom scenario. Did a bit of that myself this year, but I didn't have a fancy name for it:-D

From what I hear Dana is just a little guy so the snow probably wasn't that deep, maybe up to my knee's:mrgreen: You'd figure a with a decent crust on the snow that Dana should just about be able to scurry across..... must have been fluffy girlie snow??

Sorry couldn't resist:redface:

Elkhound
05-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Looks like I need to subscribe to a certain hunting mag at some point

MattB
05-25-2007, 06:18 AM
From what I hear Dana is just a little guy so the snow probably wasn't that deep, maybe up to my knee's:mrgreen: You'd figure a with a decent crust on the snow that Dana should just about be able to scurry across..... must have been fluffy girlie snow??

Sorry couldn't resist:redface:

Yea, it was just ankle deep on me and my bro 8).

Fisher-Dude
05-25-2007, 07:42 AM

Brambles

I thought it was some kind of muley camp initiation ritual back at the tent that Dana put SteveO and Matt through. :???:

I guess what happens in Clearwater muley camps stays in Clearwater muley camps.:biggrin:

Kirby
05-25-2007, 07:59 AM
Yea, it was just ankle deep on me and my bro 8).

Thats still puts it at the average persons waists.8-)

Kirby

steepNdeep
05-25-2007, 02:16 PM
I'd like to see the story! I don't buy the mag. Post it up...

So Dana, you don't give much credence to Muley Crazy founder's or associates poaching convictions?
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=11156&page=4

dana
05-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Steep,
Nope, water under the bridge. I let bygones be bygones. Don't think not buying a $100 accompaning permit so that he could film the hunt is worthy of crucifying the guy for the rest of his life. Tons of things some say he is guilty of but I take gossip for exactly what it is. The investigation was very extensive, I'm sure they could have nailed his ass if there was something else real to find. I figure if the Mule Deer Foundation gives the guy a second chance, why can't I.

Derek_Erickson
05-26-2007, 09:10 AM
the picture of MnT gettin dagged out is steve isnt it? nice buck steve

30-06
05-26-2007, 09:49 AM
anyone gunna post the whole story??

steveo32
05-26-2007, 11:09 AM
Hey derek ya that is me dragging mass and trash, steve dana got him but matt me and steve were all in on this buck more then once and i was glad it was steve who got him in the end.

steve

MattB
05-26-2007, 11:39 AM
The dragging picture of the buck was the one picture i really wanted to be in the magazine. I think its my favorite picture out of all the pics i have. I sure am glad i took pics as we took turns dragging the buck to the bottom of the hill! It also shows the snow depth and the tough conditions we had during the last few days...deep snow and fog! I believe the temps on the 10th were in the +5 range, it was pretty warm and the snow was heavy!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/matthew_brown69/P1010828.jpg

30-06
05-26-2007, 11:42 AM
thats a beauty pic

Gateholio
05-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Nice ass8):-D

oscar makonka
05-26-2007, 01:52 PM
ive pulled the odd blunder out hunting myself,was glassing a alpine bowl one afternoon for a hour or so .me and my bud headed down the ridge for about 20 minutes before i realized i had left my rifle where we were glassing lol.my buddy still gives me a hard time about it lol.any ways good story and nice Muley.hope to get my boys into some monsters this year.

He he, remember the time you left your rifle laying in the middle of the road! :wink: :mrgreen:

frenchbar
05-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Ya Ya oscar.another frenchbar blunder.lol ya still got the pics of the buck we took that day.could ya e mail me a couple if ya have them .

Brambles
05-26-2007, 03:45 PM
Dana

Did you get any pictures of the bullet wound from 3 weeks earlier, what damage was done and where did you hit him. What bullets were you using etc. Kind of curious to see what a mulie can withstand and still live.

dana
05-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Brambles,
The first shot, 3 and a half weeks previous, was with a 300 Win Mag shooting 200 grain Nosler Partitions (I had just been hunting fall grizz with that rifle and didn't want to resight it in with a different bullet configuration). I assume the buck took a step just as I squeezed. The wound was well healed. I hit him near the front of the chest just under the armpit and broke the opposite shoulder right at the leg bone/shoulder blade junction. How I missed lungs I don't know. The day I killed him, my first shot took out lungs, yet he still climbed straight up the mountain for over 30 minutes before I caught up with him and dropped him. It amazes me how tuff that buck was.

Brambles
05-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Wow, he was healed and bearing weight on a broken shoulder/leg in 3 weeks:shock:. Tough S.O.B for sure. Thanks for the update.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-28-2007, 07:02 AM
Partitions, eh??:roll:
Wait till GG gets back online:grin:.

Forgot your rifle? Binderdunnit.

Funny....when all the little things go wrong, something great usually follows(Foreshadow................................ ....................8)).

Congrats on the article. Hopefully, I'll get to read it soon.

SSS

Krico
05-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Funny....when all the little things go wrong, something great usually follows(Foreshadow................................ ....................8)).

SSS

Grizzly success???

bsa30-06
05-28-2007, 04:17 PM
Dana , i just recieved my first copy of the magazine and read your story.Excellent story , great pictures, congrats again on an awesome buck.

dana
05-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Brambles,
MnT did have a limp when we spotted him on the last day, but that didn't slow him down much. No doubt he was one tuff bugger.

SSS,
I'm about done with those partitions. I haven't been having the greatest success with them. Funny how all the critters I killed prior to switching over to them dropped on the spot, and yet they seem to keep on going with the partitions.
I'm actually thinking of going back to my roots and packing the 300 Savage again.

steveo32
05-28-2007, 05:02 PM
hey dana you scared of the kick or something or is it jsut to long for your stubby body to pack:D Just razzing you while i wait for matts muley crazy to show up :roll:

steve

Jelvis
05-28-2007, 06:13 PM
Dana you might have hit a small limb or branch first befor hitting the big antlered buck, I'm sure you thought about a lot of things trying to get that beauty buck befor someone else just happened to be there after and got him first before you did. Those big antlered bucks are a lot tougher than one could imagine it's amazing how strong willed they are for sure. I think a lung shot is the best and you probably do to? How about the wind at that moment? Just analyzing a bit, your still the main man, Jel

dana
05-28-2007, 06:55 PM
Jelvis,
Without a doubt, deflection by brush is always a possibility in this country.

Will
05-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Jelvis,
Without a doubt, deflection by brush is always a possibility in this country.
Doubtful at best with a 200 Grain 30 cal bullet....:wink:

I actually had an article that a fella did with various Hardwood dowels.....he used sizes from 1/4" up to 1" etc....at various ranges with different bullet profiles and calibres etc.
The jift of it was that he basically debunked the ""Deflection" theory as crap.
Sure some of the bullet's paths were slightly altered but most still hit within 1" of point of aim.....hardly enough to cause a Miss on a big game animal.

Most of the time the bullet simply carved a nice notch through the hardwood and produced the same groups as the targets without the dowel.
It was interesting.....shoulda kept it:???:

Jelvis
05-28-2007, 08:04 PM
Anything is possible but you did finally get your unique looking big antlered muley buck by perseverence, time and effort, congrats on a super looking muley. Jel

Fisher-Dude
05-28-2007, 08:47 PM
The first shot, 3 and a half weeks previous, was with a 300 Win Mag shooting 200 grain Nosler Partitions...

The day I killed him, my first shot took out lungs, yet he still climbed straight up the mountain for over 30 minutes before I caught up with him and dropped him. It amazes me how tuff that buck was.

Anyone that wants to kill a MnT sized buck better throw their Partitions where they belong...in the garbage. :biggrin:

one-shot-wonder
05-28-2007, 09:37 PM
The day I killed him, my first shot took out lungs, yet he still climbed straight up the mountain for over 30 minutes before I caught up with him and dropped him. It amazes me how tuff that buck was.

Any buck that climbs mountains for 30 minutes after having it's lungs shot out should be called "iron lung". Are you sure your finishing shot didn't blow out the lungs instead?

tracker
05-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Nosler partition old and out dated :roll:
Barnes triple shock is the way of the future.:biggrin::biggrin:
I have been shooting barnes bullets for several years now and have killed every animal{bear ,elk,moose,muleys, whitetail }with one shot out of my 7mm mag.Some shots have been a bit far back to far ahead but they always die fast.

I have recovered only 2 tsx bullets with perfect expantion and 96 to 100% bullet retention .One from my bear this spring that went through 3 feet of massive bone and flesh and another out of a 280 pound muley shot on a quartering away shot through the ribs and ended up at the base of the neck, major bone breakage there.

Its a great bullet that works for me.Goodluck on your next bullet choice.

Jelvis
06-01-2007, 02:21 PM
You guys really sound like you know your ammo, and what it can do, which is quite impressive that you take the interest in it. I guess the trajectory is very important and the weight but, a well placed shot with a less powerful rifle, would be better, than a more powerful gun and a hit in the non vital area of the animal shot. Accuracy is more important than overkill, I know you would agree with that, but like you say it might of hit a tree or limb too before hitting the massive antlered buck. Straight shootin Jelvis

steveo32
06-01-2007, 02:40 PM
steve read the story finally, well done, we are definatly gonna have our work cut out for us next season:biggrin:

steve

Schmaus
06-01-2007, 04:40 PM
have killed every animal{bear ,elk,moose,muleys, whitetail }with one shot out of my 7mm mag

Come on now everybody knows you can't kill an elk or moose with one shot unless you have some sort of ultra mag or weatherby pushing a HUGE bullet at crazy speeds