PDA

View Full Version : NWT DALL SHEEP - Last Hunt

The Hermit
01-28-2016, 10:47 AM
Check out this video of KUIU's Jason Harrison's hunt... the last hunt forever in Nahanni Bute since Parks Canada expanded the park. Cool video sad loss of our hunting heritage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBjdmNtHc0Q

Caribou_lou
01-28-2016, 11:12 AM
Very Sad. That land is now park and untouchable. The outfitter had zero impact on the land since it was all chopper access.

butcher
01-28-2016, 11:21 AM
Yep, and most of it is so inaccessible no one is going to visit.

Brew
01-28-2016, 11:29 AM
Pretty sad that it won't every be hunted again. Two great Rams.

358mag
01-28-2016, 01:17 PM
Great video spectacular country, but some how to me helicopters and sheep hunting just doesn't seem right .

elknut
01-28-2016, 01:36 PM
Thanks for posting ...Spectacular hunt..Lucky guys to be one of the last to hunt Nahanni Butte...Must of cost a pretty penny ..

Seeker
01-28-2016, 02:09 PM
Yeah and a sweet tax write off to boot......a work trip! Sheesh, I need a new job.:-(

tangozulu
01-28-2016, 04:49 PM
Great video spectacular country, but some how to me helicopters and sheep hunting just doesn't seem right .
Yup, if u use a helicpter it aint sheep hunting. Every see a picture of a moose coming out on a long line? Commercial killing for the new century.
Outfitters were compensated a few million.wionder what the redi hunter gets..

The Hermit
01-28-2016, 05:03 PM
What is the difference between a ride in a chopper and a bush plane in that valley? Nothing!

HD95
01-28-2016, 05:34 PM
Great movie,,,,,thanks for that Bill!!!!

boxhitch
01-28-2016, 06:17 PM
Still some good rams , even after the high high harvest rate over the last few years that some were saying was extreme and couldn't be sustained.

boxhitch
01-28-2016, 06:22 PM
What is the difference between a ride in a chopper and a bush plane in that valley? Nothing!The ride is the same but the landing is sure different )

wiggy
01-28-2016, 08:10 PM
The ride is the same but the landing is sure different )

I know a bunch of places to take a bird that would change things quick. Your not going to land a 2 wheeler anywhere close big difference

Fred1
01-28-2016, 08:17 PM
Great video! Amazing country! Thanks for posting it!

358mag
01-28-2016, 08:34 PM
What is the difference between a ride in a chopper and a bush plane in that valley? Nothing!
The diff is there using choppers to drop hunters off in the top of the mountains not in the valley bottoms were you can land a super cub .
If you have ever hunted sheep , having the ability to start your hunt on the top going down is a hell of a lot easier than than going from the bottom up .
Not ever saying you might just be able to "spot" a few more sheep in a chopper than a Super Cub .

358mag
01-28-2016, 08:36 PM
Yup, if u use a helicpter it aint sheep hunting. Every see a picture of a moose coming out on a long line? Commercial killing for the new century.
Outfitters were compensated a few million.wionder what the redi hunter gets..

The resident hunters are also able to use a chopper if they so chose in the NWT .

358mag
01-28-2016, 08:38 PM
I know a bunch of places to take a bird that would change things quick. Your not going to land a 2 wheeler anywhere close big difference
Sure would save a bit of boot leather !!!
Just have to wonder what the resident sheep harvest would be if BC allowed us to use choppers .

tangozulu
01-28-2016, 10:12 PM
Well if u dont know the difference between slinging a whole moose or sheep and packing it i cant explain it to you.

tangozulu
01-28-2016, 10:16 PM
We would all be on limited entry.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-28-2016, 10:22 PM
Just have to wonder what the resident sheep harvest would be if BC allowed us to use choppers .

But only for wolves would be a different matter.

tangozulu
01-28-2016, 10:36 PM
If they could kill a fraction of the sheep by using a plane they would due to the cosr saving. This video does not represent any hunting heritage i could be proud of. Sorry

RustyBrit
01-28-2016, 10:52 PM
The diff is there using choppers to drop hunters off in the top of the mountains not in the valley bottoms were you can land a super cub .
If you have ever hunted sheep , having the ability to start your hunt on the top going down is a hell of a lot easier than than going from the bottom up .
Not ever saying you might just be able to "spot" a few more sheep in a chopper than a Super Cub .

You obviously did not watch the video....

tangozulu
01-28-2016, 11:09 PM

Its pretty obvious from watching the video that the hunters or at least the guides knew the rams were there before anyone arrived. They even accidebtly say so, something about 2 rams....The country is no rougher than plenty of BC Yukon or Alaska and helicopters are just good for business.For the hunting heritage image, not so much.

The Hermit
01-28-2016, 11:17 PM
Seemed to me that the guys were dropped off in the valley where a SuperCub could easily have landed. The video shows them dragging and packing the sheep out to the bottom. You guys must have watched some other film??

I loved the scenery, and am sad that no one will ever be allowed to hunt in that area again, ever! Parks Canada needs to revisit their one size fits all policy!

NorBC
01-29-2016, 01:14 AM
If you won a guided hunt and the outfitter said " we will take the chopper up the valley " ( where it's legal ) you wouldn't say no. There is no evidence of them getting dropped off on top of mountains. It's crap like this being said that makes this site unbearable some times. The guy is the face of one of the biggest company's in the industry , he's not going to take short cuts. As for knowing the Rams were there.. Pre scouting is a huge part of outfitting. People should stop hating for once.

SR80
01-29-2016, 07:33 AM
If you won a guided hunt and the outfitter said " we will take the chopper up the valley " ( where it's legal ) you wouldn't say no. There is no evidence of them getting dropped off on top of mountains. It's crap like this being said that makes this site unbearable some times. The guy is the face of one of the biggest company's in the industry , he's not going to take short cuts. As for knowing the Rams were there.. Pre scouting is a huge part of outfitting. People should stop hating for once.
No doubt! Always seems to be someone that has to try and bring down the parade, specially on this forum..

358mag
01-29-2016, 01:46 PM
Yes I did watch the video .

358mag
01-29-2016, 01:59 PM
I am not hating !!!! Just using a chopper to hunt sheep just my cup of tea . If chopper hunting floats your boat go for it .
Mountain hunting using a chopper for sheep kind of take meaning of a wilderness hunt away from me .

358mag
01-29-2016, 02:00 PM
Well if u dont know the difference between slinging a whole moose or sheep and packing it i cant explain it to you.

Same chopper same company

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF8tC3_CFO8

358mag
01-29-2016, 02:04 PM
But only for wolves would be a different matter.
Yes it would be were do I sign up ?

NorBC
01-29-2016, 07:16 PM
I am not hating !!!! Just using a chopper to hunt sheep just my cup of tea . If chopper hunting floats your boat go for it .
Mountain hunting using a chopper for sheep kind of take meaning of a wilderness hunt away from me .

The chopper ride is up a valley, the same as a plane. They're dropped off at the bottom. Just seems silly, I'll leave it alone.

RackStar
01-29-2016, 08:07 PM
weather its traditional or not, or what ever you want to call it.... anyone on this site would be LYING if they said they would turn down that opportunity....
if someone hunts an area for 19 years every year all year then I'm sure they know where the rams are...

tangozulu
01-29-2016, 11:22 PM

Wonder how the scouting was done? Feel free to help me out here......

Treed
01-30-2016, 12:03 AM

..... About a grand an hour!

gutpile
01-30-2016, 12:12 AM
So I don't understand why, they are making it into a park ? What is so special about that place to anywhere else ?
No one is ever going to go up there unless there is a trail ! So stupid ! waste of tax payers money .

NorBC
01-30-2016, 12:45 AM
Wonder how the scouting was done? Feel free to help me out here......

I can tell you right now my eyes wonder every time I fly in the super cub.. But you're right you're a better man than I, and I will leave it at that.

358mag
01-30-2016, 11:14 AM

..... About a grand an hour!

And a whole lot of boot leather ..........

tangozulu
01-30-2016, 11:25 AM
I dont want to rain on the OPs pqrade and I thank you for posting. But i do feel helicpters for hunting makes all of us look bad to the wider world. I would love to know how that all became legal and whos idea this was. Remember the same government shut down grizzly hunting in the entire McKenzie mtn range due to the chance of over hunting........in this
This vast wilderness.

NorBC
01-30-2016, 12:55 PM
I thought gatehouse made some kind of rule about this. If you don't like it go start a thread about the use of helicopters in the hunting industry.

no wonder nobody posts story's anymore. First thing close to story that comes up in months and you bash it. I remember when I used to come to HBC for intellect and advice. Now I just cringe.

Daka
02-17-2016, 09:47 PM
Great video,really great...

Brez
02-18-2016, 10:35 AM
I thought gatehouse made some kind of rule about this. If you don't like it go start a thread about the use of helicopters in the hunting industry.

no wonder nobody posts story's anymore. First thing close to story that comes up in months and you bash it. I remember when I used to come to HBC for intellect and advice. Now I just cringe.

Well said! and to Tangozulu, the fact that we hunt "makes all of us look bad to the wider world". If it's sustainable and legal, and ethical, then why not. People don't seem to have the luxury of the time to do a 2 month horse access hunt like the old days, as much fun as it would be.

mddat
02-18-2016, 11:06 AM
Great film, loved it!

Mighty Peace
02-18-2016, 01:10 PM
Great video. Bet these guys from Kuiu paid a good price to have this spot scheduled a few years back. Man am I jealous!! Sucks evenmore now that our dollar is sooo weak that a hunt for a Dall will cost a lot more for the everyday working man. Guess I should of fought harder to move to the Yukon in the early 2000/01 with my GF (now wife ) with a work opening!! Oh well.

From what I heard in the beginning part of video is that 2 large rams were walked away from last year so the guides knew the vicinity area of where the rams may be, plus bet these guides were scouting way before season opened.

As far as the helicopter comments, see no difference ...spike camps would not be established before hunters arrived up top of mountains....maybe I am wrong. Probably be able to haul more gear/guys on the helicopters than a plane.

I know of some salmon fishing lodges in BC that use for fly in on larger float planes, now the use helicopters.