PDA

View Full Version : Skool me on Crossbows

bcfirefly
01-27-2016, 12:07 PM
Hi,
well after a long season hunting rifle season and having everything that I was not allowed to shot come within 30 yards of me (or less), I got to thinking about hunting with a bow. Ultimately I see a bow in my future but right now looking at a crossbow for a couple of reasons. I have a torn rotator cuff that is a major PITA and affects my daily routine so unsure on my strength in drawing a compound and would hate to get all in and then reinjure it in the fall. Secondly if have a couple of close hunting buddies that would like to get into it as well so i would be sharing the bow around a tiny bit.
I know nothing about crossbows other than a bit easier to learn, a bit further range, a faster fps.
Not looking to get into high end gear but also don't want to start with the cheapest and have to upgrade in a years time.
School on crossbow please! target species right now would be whitetail, maybe mule, and pigs.
thanks,

rocksteady
01-27-2016, 01:45 PM
Lots of threads on here, but here is the readers digest version from my point of view:

Advantages
* Easier to become proficient with.
* Always cocked and ready to go when you are stalking, less chance of getting busted drawing
* Definitely easier on the shoulder, especially if you use a cocking aid.

Disadvantages:
* Every puritan bow hunter, regardless of what they shoot, will condemn you as a cheater.

Similarities (Compound and cross bow):
* SAME EFFECTIVE RANGE
* Both shoot arrow type items (X-Bows shoot bolts)
* Velocities may vary but kinetic energy is what you are interested in (light arrows going really fast or heavy arrows going moderate speed)..
* Both require QUALITY broadheads in order to ensure a clean efficient kill)

Advice and cost:
* There are many decent brands out there. I personally shoot a Horton, never had an issue with it. I know guys who shoot Excaliburs, Ten Points etc and most are happy with their purchases and performance. Do research on a crossbow hunting forum. For a good quality package, complete with scope , arrows, quiver, sling etc, expect about a $1K bill.

With quality broadheads, you can kill moose, deer, elk, bears, etc (just about any big game) at ranges out to 50 yards (my personal limit, others will argue), based on the distances you practice at.

No matter which you chose, you will need to hone your bow hunting skills... Cover, concealment, stalking, noise and odor control etc etc...

I am probably gonna get blasted for this, but, I would avoid the low end Barnetts from Wal Mart etc. Buy quality once and use it for a life time...

Shoot me a PM if you want any other info..

greybark
01-27-2016, 02:36 PM
Rocksteady , some good info here . Your disavantage statement is a bit harsh . The anti-crossbow attitude has changed over the years primarily due to the Legality of the crossbow and by the few who felt their archery seasons were in jepardy smartened up.
Generaly i`ve stood up for crossbows , shot 3-D and hunted with crossbow archers . .
Crossbow archers can help them selves by increasing their numbers by way of club memberships and participation in 3-D events . Those that do have an enjoyable expierience .
Cheep level entry crossbows end up in a back room corner as result of parts being unavailable . As you state a few bucks more and research is well worth it .
To the OP when you are ready to hunt I recommend you get a rangefinder , judging distance is critical and has caused more grief then anything else .
Bcfirefly enjoy your new archery adventure ....
Cheers

rocksteady
01-27-2016, 02:53 PM
Rocksteady , some good info here . Your disavantage statement is a bit harsh . ..
Cheers

It was meant in jest, guess I forgot the smiley face :)

Foxtail
01-27-2016, 03:08 PM
Bear just came out with a crossbow this year... Actually a few different models. Their customer service is the best there is. The specs look REALLY good. Sorry I am a bit of a Bear fan.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
01-27-2016, 03:26 PM
Rock steady i have a Horton too.. Real piece of junk . Horton 175 .. Company out of business , everyone looks at a crossbow with a scope and thinks , Hey thats what i need .!. just point and shoot huh .!. not so easy as you will find out..,And wait till you need to uncock it because you didnt get to shoot , there bulky too . hang up on trees..slow reloading . you cant have them cocked in the truck . .altho we have used them lots in the last few years . im still a compound bow fan .

rocksteady
01-27-2016, 03:31 PM
Horton had several lines.. Mine is a Horton Hunter Elite 175lb. Billet aluminum rail deck, some of their low end models have plastic.

I have no problem unloading without an arrow, just takes practice...Or a feed bag of shopping bags and a judo point work too..just leave both in the back of the truck...

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
01-27-2016, 03:33 PM
takes two people to unload it dry fire . lol. its not easy to do alone . pull the trigger and then hold the string . lol. i have a old broken arrow with me sometimes.. shoot it down a road or into a block . still a pain .

wideopenthrottle
01-27-2016, 03:41 PM
my black fingernail (from sept) is almost grown out...it was my first time ever trying to uncock my buddies' girlfriend's xbow..lesson learned

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
01-27-2016, 03:46 PM
HAHAH ya its a bit exciting sometimes . lol. Too bad they didnt have the video camera going .LOL. MY boss has his thumb too high one time .. ripped a cut in his thum.. couple stichs.. lol. funny . lol. looked like it hurt .. lol

bcfirefly
01-27-2016, 04:12 PM
thanks for the info so far guys!

gmachine19
01-27-2016, 05:17 PM
Big fan of the excalibur crossbows. It doesn't have cams so if your ever out in the bush and need to restring, you don't have to end your day. Just bring an extra string and a re-stringer.

I like the ideology of: The less moving parts, the better.

I have to admit that learning to use my crossbow was stupidly easy. But like any other archery equipment, PRACTICE lots!

And you probably need a good range finder.

IronNoggin
01-28-2016, 01:15 PM
RockSteady makes some fine points.
And although there definitely is something to his noted "disadvantage", that is getting somewhat better as GreyBark noted. At least here in BC it is, not so much in Alberta (where the ABA has deemed me a Demon for using my crossbow in regular archery seasons...)

I strongly suggest as others have that you acquire the Best Bow you can afford. Cheaper versions will let you down, and that may turn you away from the sport.

I am definitely Biased towards Excalibur products much as Gmachine notes above. Tough, simple, reliable, more than powerful enough, pinpoint accurate and the BEST Warranty in the business (something I have never had to use, but comforting to know is there...).
You can unload their bows without firing them, and any work that you may require can be done efficiently & quickly on your own - WITHOUT the use of a bow press. There is very much a reason they have a strong following!

In terms of selecting your bow, I would suggest getting to several archery shops, and handling as many as you possibly can. One will simply seem to "Fit" better than the rest in most occasions, and that would be the One for you. Let the Bow tell you as it were.

If possible, shoot several types if you can. Again, one will likely stand out as feeling / handling better than the rest for you personally.

Finally, don't simply assume they are "easy" to become deadly proficient with! Practice - a LOT! Practice and become proficient at ranges you would never contemplate hunting at (we shoot to 100 yards regularly) and those hunting range shots will become a "Natural". And do take GreyBark's advise regarding the rangefinder! A MUST for any serious archer IMO.

Cheers & Good Luck with your selection!
Nog

greybark
01-28-2016, 01:23 PM
Hey Nog , I`m taller than Hermit ! Sorry Bill just had to LOL .

IronNoggin
01-28-2016, 01:28 PM

OOPS! That will teach me to READ a little better before posting! :oops:

Will fix asap you Tall Bugger You! :lol:

Cheers,
Nog

Pioneerman
01-28-2016, 02:11 PM
I had a Excalibur Cross bow and it was amazingly accurate out o 50 yards, I could grab all the arrows with one hand. I actually picked different spots on the target to shoot at so I did not damage the others from hitting in the same spot. I do not know how you others ever uncocked a xbow or cocked it for that matter. But with mine I had a cocking rope/device with handles, so you simply hook both hooks on string pull up with both handles and it is done. To uncock, you pout the same device onto string and snug it up one side, holding handle you pull trigger and release the string slowly, very simple. You can see a video here how to do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY4klkfIWeA

guntech
01-28-2016, 04:51 PM
Some crossbows have a safety device so the crossbow can not be dry fired... these bows can not be uncocked... the simple procedure is to use an arrow with a blunt point designed to be fired into the ground... and fire it into the ground...

Pioneerman
01-28-2016, 04:53 PM
All the more reason to get a Excalibur then :-)

rocksteady
01-28-2016, 04:59 PM
All the more reason to get a Excalibur then :-)

This reminds me of a Dodge vs. Chev vs. Ford discussion :)

when I bought bought mine Excalibur was just new to the market.

I also liked the Horton as its overall width is over 6 inches smaller(good for sneaking thru the thick stuff) because it is compound.

Plus, at that time, you could still import them to Canada no problems...and I got it for about $400, brand new, off EBay.

The exact same package from Calgary Archery was $1300.

crossbow, scope, 6 arrows, quiver and crappy 3/4" sling

rocksteady
01-28-2016, 05:33 PM
Playing devils advocate here.

A lot of people like Excalibers cause if they break a string, they can replace it without ruining their hunt and going to a bow shop... How often have you ever heard of that happening? I usually get a new string in the summer if it looks frayed.

Would this not be the same scenario with compound bow hunters, yet they have no issue going on a 10 backcountry bow hunt without a press in their pack?

if that were the case everyone would be flocking to recurves and longbows...

Just a thought

J_T
01-28-2016, 06:15 PM
Most important aspect of a crossbow, when it is cocked it is legally loaded. Even without a bolt sitting in the slide. Don't be driving a quad or vehicle with it cocked/loaded.

IronNoggin
01-28-2016, 06:46 PM
Some crossbows have a safety device so the crossbow can not be dry fired... these bows can not be uncocked...

When Excalibur introduced the Matrix line, they incorporated an anti-dryfire mechanism into the heavier bows. They can indeed be easily un-cocked without having to fire them. Mechanism incorporates a release to do just that. Modern Advances...

Cheers,
Nog

bcfirefly
01-29-2016, 10:14 AM
cool lots of things to consider, thanks guys!
I have a range finder already ... not great at judging distance so in my WT blind I measured out 50, 100, 150 etc shooting lanes. obviously not too big of a difference with a rifle as I just hold and shoot but it is a good way of 'field testing' my distance judging. once I get one I have the ability to to practice at work on my lunch hour so plan to do that most of the summer.
tomorrow I am off to a store that has a shooting lane so hopefully be able to handle a couple of different makes / models.

okas
01-29-2016, 12:43 PM
they are heavy and hang up on everything .. But if you need one buy a Excalibur for sure . new company now look like the same stuff

huntinnut
01-29-2016, 01:25 PM
I have an Excalibur which is a few years old now. It works great and is very accurate. As stated above knowing your range is just as important as any other bow. I un-cock mine by using the rope cocking device and hold both handles in one hand and hang on tight. I then pull the trigger with my other hand. It pulls hard - half of the draw weight with the pulley assist, but is doable. If there are two of us together I hang on with both hands and get the other person to pull the trigger. As others have said above, 50 yards is a long shot. I've never shot at anything live over 30 yards.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
01-29-2016, 03:17 PM
Pros and cons to Both . if i was going to buy a new crossbow it would a Excaliber tho . i have used them and there good .

hardnocks
01-29-2016, 06:45 PM
i have repaired all of them . i would say a ten point or a excaliber . high end ten points will be in the 3grand range . for a cheaper bow pse have some low end crossbow that are not bad and the sevice is good .

and if greybark would start shooting a crossbow.... he wouldn`t spend so much time looking for arrers

guntech
01-29-2016, 07:17 PM
This is all going to the Chilliwack Gun Show in March... $2650 worth of stuff - mostly new

The scope has illuminated (green or red) reticles for 20 - 30 - 40 - 50 - 60 yards.
http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/3/b/d/203599/bow1-0.jpg
http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/3/b/d/203599/bow2-0.jpg
The scope has illuminated (green or red) reticles for 20 - 30 - 40 - 50 - 60 yards.
http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/3/b/d/203599/bow3-0.jpg
http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/3/b/d/203599/bow4-0.jpg
Plus $150 worth of target butts

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/3/b/d/203599/bow5-0.jpg

.................................................. Somebody will get a deal...

greybark
01-29-2016, 07:54 PM
i have repaired all of them . i would say a ten point or a excaliber . high end ten points will be in the 3grand range . for a cheaper bow pse have some low end crossbow that are not bad and the sevice is good .

and if greybark would start shooting a crossbow.... he wouldn`t spend so much time looking for arrers

LOL !!!!!
When archers ask me about judging up hill distances I refer them to Hardnocks !

The Hermit
01-30-2016, 01:30 AM

OOPS! That will teach me to READ a little better before posting! :oops:

Will fix asap you Tall Bugger You! :lol:

Cheers,
Nog

Hey How did I get dragged into this?? LOL I have a beauty crossbow... A Prototype Maximus ERGO 175 spits the bolts out at about 330FPS and it works great now that Philcot custom machined all new bearings and pins etc. (The prototype had nylon bushings)... Nice little Hawke Illuminated scope on it and its a dandy bow!.

To the OP... I wouldn't shy away from a high quality compound crossbow but you really can't go wrong with an Excalibur either. The BIGGEST issue I had with them in the past was that their limbs were so wide that it made spot and stalk hunting in the trees a pain! The new bows with smaller wingspan are the ticket... btw mine has the shortest axle to axle distance of any hunting bow out there! ;-) They are best in a treestand IMHO and a rangefinder is essential equipment for bowhunters!

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/12573733_10153680958894193_7055710230041200694_n.j pg?oh=f33857000acd5cd5ca38439a4e924768&oe=5723501B
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/12573964_10153680958824193_7382338212520751552_n.j pg?oh=47b4941ecbeaf3e1bbb26d8d61c7e71a&oe=573B9CD6

Gateholio
01-30-2016, 02:14 AM
I tried one of the very new backwards crossbows someone had and was really amazed. 60 Yd hits on target were easy. Kinda like some of the newer compounds, just a bit easier to learn, I suppose. I was bang on with the first shot of the crossbow, took me half a dozen shots at 60 with the compound the get the feel of it, then I kept dropping them in. Bow technology has really advanced quickly in the last few years, way faster than gun technology when you think of it...:)

bcfirefly
02-01-2016, 12:45 PM
I went crossbow shopping / sampling on Saturday. Lots to choose from and the newer models are faster, lighter, and more compact. Lots to digest but I have a pretty good idea on what to look for and get. thanks for all the input!

300H&H
02-01-2016, 07:44 PM
The new Excalibur Micro 355 looks great. Lighter, faster, and smaller. I am thinking of trading in my Phoenix for the Micro.

db
02-01-2016, 07:56 PM
If your looking for an Excalibur Del Selins in Vernon has all his on sale . The matrix 380 combo for 895.00 . Plus other models all are about $200 off.

IronNoggin
02-01-2016, 07:57 PM
The new Excalibur Micro 355 looks great. Lighter, faster, and smaller. I am thinking of trading in my Phoenix for the Micro.

Be right interested in your impressions should you do so!
Ain't ever likely to part with my 380, but a fella just might get interested in a Back Up bow... :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

Surrey Boy
02-01-2016, 08:52 PM
I tried one of the very new backwards crossbows someone had and was really amazed. 60 Yd hits on target were easy. Kinda like some of the newer compounds, just a bit easier to learn, I suppose. I was bang on with the first shot of the crossbow, took me half a dozen shots at 60 with the compound the get the feel of it, then I kept dropping them in. Bow technology has really advanced quickly in the last few years, way faster than gun technology when you think of it...:)

Listening to an oldtimer, heard that it's not so much the bows as the arrows. Kind of how ammunition advancements have really improved gun performance.

Gateholio
02-02-2016, 12:21 AM
Listening to an oldtimer, heard that it's not so much the bows as the arrows. Kind of how ammunition advancements have really improved gun performance.

Probably lots of both. I recall my Dad bringing home an early compound when I was in grade 5 and being fascinated at the difference between it and my longbow. There has been great strides in tech for bows and guns! Modern bows make it dead easy to go bowhunting these days.

brian
02-02-2016, 09:00 AM

I don't agree. Arrow weight and spine have been controlled since there were bows. The tech in a modern arrow allows for light weight stiff shafts but that is nothing new. A compound bows extreme performance is because it can take advantage of these light weight shafts efficiently. Load heavy arrows into it and its performance will drop considerably (back into the earthly realm where trad (non wheel) bows live). But you can't shoot those same lightweight arrows from a trad bow efficiently, you won't see the same speed benefit. They need heavier arrows for maximum efficiency. Unlike trad bows that have millenniums of design history, compound bow design is still relatively young and is being refined constantly. This is where the wall of efficiency is being pushed. Compound crossbows are seeing even more innovations. Some speeds being reported from makers are just insane.

bcfirefly
03-30-2016, 10:37 AM
Just putting some closure to this thread ... I picked up a matrix 355 on blowout. So easy to use! During the scope set up I stacked 3 bolts on top of each other at 20m and from kneeling can get 3 bolts 3" at 40m sitting. Loving it so far, out every evening shooting about a dozen shots. Thanks for the input.

Foxtail
03-30-2016, 11:27 AM
I want to know if anyone has been able to check out the new Bear xbows... The Fisix mainly, specs are pretty amazing 375 fps at only 135# draw.
http://www.beararchery.com/bows/crossbows/fisix-ffl

IronNoggin
03-30-2016, 12:58 PM
Just putting some closure to this thread ... I picked up a matrix 355 on blowout. So easy to use! During the scope set up I stacked 3 bolts on top of each other at 20m and from kneeling can get 3 bolts 3" at 40m sitting. Loving it so far, out every evening shooting about a dozen shots.

Congratulations on your choice - a rather Fine one I might add!
You'll want to be careful shooting at the same bullseye - arrows can get expensive! :wink:

Looking Forward to your first successful hunt pictures!

Welcome to Club Excalibur!! :-D

Cheers,
Nog

festerstix
06-29-2016, 10:50 PM
Excellent choice. The Excalibur product, its ability to de-cock easily, rugged construction and simply phenomenal accuracy are going to reward you with some nice venison roasts and sausages.