PDA

View Full Version : Boat Trailer vs Truck Rack (12ft Aluminum Boat)

Western Hunter
01-25-2016, 04:03 PM
What do you guys think? Just bought a 12' Lund...I'm not pulling a travel trailer, so a boat trailer wouldn't be the end of the world. I'm a bit concerned about flinging rocks at the boat during winter weather (over Connector etc).

If you prefer truck rack do you have any suggestions? I'm in the Okanagan.

Lucky 7
01-25-2016, 04:10 PM
check out loadmyboat.com. self loader. Great system and they are made in the Okanagan

goatdancer
01-25-2016, 04:24 PM
check out loadmyboat.com. self loader. Great system and they are made in the Okanagan

X2. I've had one for about 15 years and it is awesome. Definitely a back saver.

Edzzed
01-25-2016, 04:45 PM
I got one from http://www.loadit.com/ Works great. My only complaint is I need a new motor, will be the 3rd one. I guess they get wet inside. Next one will be sealed with roofing tar or something similar. I still have the trailer which I set the boat on when not using it. Haven't had to insure the trailer in 10 years.

Western Hunter
01-25-2016, 04:57 PM

Thanks I'll check this out.

bighornbob
01-25-2016, 08:45 PM
If you are looking at a boat trailer, what about a boxed utility trailer? Father in law had one that was pretty slick. Basic 4x8 trailer with 2 foot sides, with a double folding plywood roof. All your fishing gear, motor, oars a life jackets etc are protected inside because the top would lock. On top were a set of roof racks with rollers that were easily removable which the boat sat on. Easy to load and unload and all your gear was dry and protected inside.

Bhb

okas
01-26-2016, 12:03 PM
get a trailer and you will love it but get a wide one so backing up is easy . You will love all the extra room as every thing stays in the boat

huntingtime
01-26-2016, 12:12 PM
I have a boat rack as well as a utility trailer I use for my 12 ft flat bottom boat. Both come in handy depending on what we are doing and where we are going. But its definitely a lot easier loading everything into the boat at home when on the trailer and just launching it. It saves about twenty minutes of missing at the launch getting everything in the boat. Plus its a utility trailer as well when required.
Try and think of security too. If you have a safe spot to store the boat and trailer and not a secure spot for the truck with boat on top (likely wont fit in the garage) then the trailer may make sore sense. My old 12 Harbourcraft was stolen off my rack in the middle of the night. It was parked in a well lit fairly busy place with a chain.

Western Hunter
01-26-2016, 07:18 PM
I decided to get a trailer. Now my only concern is getting the boat back to Kelowna without sandblasting it...I know it's a tinner, but I really don't want to punish the thing on the first trip...