PDA

View Full Version : Work Sharp

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
01-25-2016, 03:00 PM
Anyone have the Work sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener. ?

skidderman
01-25-2016, 04:54 PM
I bought one but wish I had not. Not worth it in my estimation. Better ti invest in a good stone.

albravo2
01-25-2016, 05:03 PM
which one? I have the handheld stone/strop combo and don't think it is that great but I also have the plug-in version that spins different grit belts. I love that one.

My wife bought me a really nice knife a couple years ago and I had a hell of a time getting it sharp until I bought the Work Sharp. After 10 minutes of practise I had every knife in the house razor sharp and no hair on either of my forearms to prove it.

I'm better with a stone now but if I want to get a good fast edge on any knife in the house I use the Work Sharp.

I got the regular one, I might upgrade to the Ken Onion version this year.

adriaticum
01-25-2016, 05:17 PM
I have the Work sharp and I like it. A lot.
It's an indoor belt sander. Much like albravo, I sharpened all my, and my neighbours' knives I could find and refinished all my axes and now everything is shiny and sharp.
It's well worth it.

I do have stones as well. Worksharp is not a replacement for stones. I use both.
But worksharp will quickly bring a dull knife to life.

Ferenc
01-25-2016, 05:51 PM
Bought one from Kms tools.. No complaints, works good on the household knives ( your girlfriend, old lady ) will worship the ground you walk on..lol... For an expensive custom knife though.. Best to sharpen the old way.. And the belts that come with it .. The coarse one can mess up a knife fast.. Best leave that to doing the axe or hatchet... For what it's worth.. I paid 125 bucks for it... Get extra belts if you purchase it.. Do the kitchen knives first. : )

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
01-25-2016, 05:53 PM
ya i think it was around a 100 bucks . i wouldnt mind getting one . im sure i would find uses for it . Be faster than a stone or a lanskey . lol. so i might get one . i would end up doing the same thing . suddenly every knife in the neighborhood would be sharp .lol.

Busterpayton54
01-25-2016, 09:51 PM
Somewhat off topic, have any of you tried the edge of your truck windows? After seeing some videos, I have it a shot.. I didn't believe you could actually shave with a knife until I tried it. I've had all kinds of stones, spent countless hours.. I thought it was Hollywood bs. A minute on the stone and a few passes on the window and it's a razor.

SaintSix
01-25-2016, 10:00 PM
I have the ken onion work sharp and it works great, fast and easy to use. I have water stones up to 9000grit and I still use them for my very flexible fillet knives, but anything with a hard blade ill generally go to my work sharp.

adriaticum
01-25-2016, 11:58 PM
ya i think it was around a 100 bucks . i wouldnt mind getting one . im sure i would find uses for it . Be faster than a stone or a lanskey . lol. so i might get one . i would end up doing the same thing . suddenly every knife in the neighborhood would be sharp .lol.

Yes, faster than any of those, however you need to be close to a power source, which is not always an option.

VLD43
01-26-2016, 10:05 AM
have you checked out Edgepro knife sharpeners? As for the earlier comment about using a window edge to sharpen knives, I remember a taxidermist who used to use a beer bottle to put a finished edge on a blade. Sort of like crock sticks or ceramic sharpeners. Just ran the blade down the length of the bottle.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
01-26-2016, 09:12 PM
i have used a bottle too . just to hone . it works good . Edgepro ?

igojuone
01-26-2016, 09:56 PM
Edge Pro, http://www.edgeproinc.com This is the official site in the US but there is a Canadian dealer.

Foxtail
01-26-2016, 10:19 PM
To put a final edge on a knife or blade... Roll down your window on your vehicle a bit and use the top edge of the window... It works amazing.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
02-01-2016, 03:06 PM
Utube has lots of vids on the worksharp . I think im going to get one . just for fun .

Husky7mm
02-11-2016, 05:45 PM
Utube has lots of vids on the worksharp . I think im going to get one . just for fun .

Did you go for it, if so how do you like it? I am also interested, I am not great at sharpening so before the havalon my favourite knife was a new knife, lol. I read you can get knives razor sharp with sand paper.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
02-16-2016, 01:26 AM
no i havent yet . i used the bottem of a ceramic coffee cup . look for the russian way to sharpen a knife on utube . window edge works too . i have a lanskey but i find it annoying with the rods . its sure works good tho .

VLD43
02-16-2016, 09:07 AM
no i havent yet . i used the bottem of a ceramic coffee cup . look for the russian way to sharpen a knife on utube . window edge works too . i have a lanskey but i find it annoying with the rods . its sure works good tho .

Hers' another to consider. Check out "Wicked edge Sharpeners"

SaintSix
02-16-2016, 07:02 PM
I have the ken onion editions and love it, works fast and easy to use just watch some videos to make sure your doing it right, it comes with a pretty decent guide and how to for different blades. only thing I had a bit of trouble on was a really flexible fillet knife, it took a bit extra care for my not so delicate hands. id buy it again.

harley1
02-16-2016, 11:07 PM
Ken onion here too. Awesome sharpener, way superior to the old method I used with the spyderco sharp maker (even though it's very good too).
Just practise first as I slightly rounded the tip on one of my good knives :(