PDA

View Full Version : Bear Down.

Iron-Head
05-24-2007, 11:28 AM
Hey guys well I've done it again. Ended up getting a nice boar last sunday in the last few minutes of shooting light. Isnt to much of a story, we where hunting an area that we had seen a decent bear in a couple of times and as it turned out he wasnt there and in his place was a much smaller guy that Dave and I passed on. We where able to observe him for a few minutes before he got spooked by a pair of geese that inhabit the field that we hunt in.
After that bear left we watched and waited to see if anything else would come out but to no avail. After about half an hour I got a feeling that we should move some where else because it just seemed dead.
So we headed to another one of our spots. On the way there I promptly said to Dave "I am going to nail a bear up here" and we both kinda chuckled at that comment because we had said it soo many times before. On our way up the FSR Dave told me that he had seen a decent sausage bear that always feeds on this little grassy knoll that is on the blind side of a hair pin turn. So I got out and proceeded around the corner, As I came around I looked up the raod to see a white truck coming down. And that kind of put an end to the idea of going up there. We chatted with the guys that where in the truck for a while and then off they went back down the road.
With the lack of time and shooting light left we decided to follow them down and call it a night. Then about 5 minutes down as we rounded the corner I caught a glimpse of a bear that was laying down in a small grassy patch, I guess enjoying the last few minutes of the cool evening. Dave and I decided to continue down the road and stop where the bear could not see the truck and we could possibly make a stalk on him. My mom was accompanying us on this trip so she was able to stalk the bear with us, So as we made our way up the hill the excitement levels where very high! When we reached the top of the mound we could not see the bear as he was laying in a large dip in the ground nicely concealed from anybody who passed him.
Finallly I got a glimpse of his back and we all Froze, As soon as Dave and I where in position and my mom was able to see I stood up from the kneeling position and took aim, BANG my 7 Mag barks and the bear makes haste for the cliff that leads down the river below. Just as he is making his way for the edge Dave lets one fly and we later found out that shot missed, not a downer on Dave at all! He has a great history for amazing running follow up shots.
Any ways after walking up to the place the bear stood when he got hit I found sign of a good lung hit with some bone in it as well. Feeling confident and not wanting to trail a wounded animal in the darkness of the thick coastal bush we decided to get some flash lights just to make sure there was sufficent blood on the trail he bailed off on. We searched allot that night and didnt find any more blood but I still knew he was dead to rights. So off we went back to Daves house with the plan of getting up early and recovering the bear then.
Early the next morning we headed up to the mound and made our way through the bush. I dont think we have ever had soo much fun tracking a blood trail. There was allot of sign of a good hit and we recovered the bear only 50 yards from the point of impact.

I cant thank Dave enough for being not only a great hunting companion but also helping me get on 2 six foot plus bears in 2 years! Thanks man.
Now for the details, The bear went 6'2" From nose to tail and when we weighed him he was 224lbs on the hook'
I was shooting 175grn Nosler Partition's out of my Ruger m77 markII 7 mag.
Dave will be posting pics any time now, Thanks again - Symon.

MB_Boy
05-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Awesome work Symon........I knew it wouldn't be too long before another "sunshine" bear was posted up!!

Lookin' forward to the pics!!

I wonder if Dave just keeps playing "backup" because he is unsure of his own shooting? He just flings one at the bear as it heads over a cliff? Seems to be a pattern here??:biggrin::wink::biggrin:

Elkhound
05-24-2007, 11:36 AM
I am finding new bear spots for sure. This was the exact cliff Tiffany's bear flew over:evil:

But the bear never went far and left a beauty of a blood trail to follow. Bear recovered, butchered and in the freezer.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m137/dwelkhound/003-1.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m137/dwelkhound/005.jpg

Elkhound
05-24-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks MBBoy.....:lol: Yup this time I missed:(

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m137/dwelkhound/006.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m137/dwelkhound/011.jpg

Elkhound
05-24-2007, 11:41 AM
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m137/dwelkhound/008.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m137/dwelkhound/017.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m137/dwelkhound/019.jpg

Leaseman
05-24-2007, 11:42 AM
Conrats on the nice bear Symon...what did Mom think of the experience???

Mike

todbartell
05-24-2007, 01:27 PM
great job, congrats

PS does the Deresonator work? :mrgreen:

Barracuda
05-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Congrats on the bear .

For some reason I cant help but laugh at the last picture . Thats one heck of a swing set ya got there:mrgreen:

rollingrock
05-24-2007, 02:14 PM
I am finding new bear spots for sure. This was the exact cliff Tiffany's bear flew over:evil:

But the bear never went far and left a beauty of a blood trail to follow. Bear recovered, butchered and in the freezer.

:mrgreen::mrgreen:Dave, I remember that bear you took last year went over a cliff too. What the heck is going on? Are the bears in your area suicidal, or they just don't want to be taken POW?:-D

MichelD
05-24-2007, 02:17 PM
Great hunting.

Great pics.

Great camo.

Elkhound
05-24-2007, 02:42 PM
Dave, I remember that bear you took last year went over a cliff too. What the heck is going on? Are the bears in your area suicidal, or they just don't want to be taken POW?:-D

I know, I know. Same area, same cliff ravine except a few hundred yards away. It's a beauty of a long ridge with lots of grass. Bears like to come out at last light and feed or lay down and relax. The good news is I am getting really good at this recovery thing:roll: They like to feed within 10yrds of the edge so it does not take much for them to go over.

It's just such a nice place for bears I can't help but go look. Even when Symon and I were getting rid of the bones and such after butchering we went there cause it's so close to my house and we saw 2 bears in about 5 mins. We purposely left our rifles at home so we would not be tempted to blast:lol: one

joeD2J
05-24-2007, 05:15 PM
Nice boar. Good stuff

bsa30-06
05-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Congrats Symon, nice bear.

Dave, thats one for your wife and one for symon, when are you going to take one?

Elkhound
05-24-2007, 05:24 PM
Congrats Symon, nice bear.

Dave, thats one for your wife and one for symon, when are you going to take one?

Well I think I deserve to be next. My priority for this spring was the wife. Symon.....well he just wanted to get a meat bear. Now I can try to get one with the bow.

CanAm500
05-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Nice bear Symon!!!

livingston
05-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Congrats great looking bear!! Was there no camera rolling this bear??

BrowningBar
05-24-2007, 05:59 PM
congrats on a nice bear.

BCLongshot
05-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Good 4 you buddy I'm proud of ya !!!

Nice pooh bear... Big teeth

Iron-Head
05-24-2007, 06:56 PM
great job, congrats

PS does the Deresonator work? :mrgreen:
The deresonator works great, It brought my groups down nearly half an inch.

dana
05-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Symon,
Congrats on a great lookin bear. Way to Go!!!!

Rookie
05-24-2007, 07:51 PM
Congrats Symon! Another brusier,good lookin bear way to go.

Will
05-24-2007, 09:11 PM
Congrats ! 8)

frenchbar
05-24-2007, 09:13 PM
congrats symon on a fine bear.

Joe89
05-25-2007, 08:51 AM
Congrats Symon, Nice bear. I'm still working on getting my first one. Hopefully this weekend.