PDA

View Full Version : weatherby vanguard s2 30-06

odie1830
01-24-2016, 09:33 PM
Just picked up a weatherby vanguard s2 30-06.
What ammo is everyone using with there weatherbys?

Lastcar
01-24-2016, 09:54 PM
Picked up the same one about a month ago when Wholesale had it on sale.

Haven't put a round down it yet. Going to mount it up with one of couple of scopes I've got kicking around next few weeks and get it out. Still jumping through the hoops to Mission R&G.

I'll keep you posted or if you find a starting point let me know.

I'll eventually be using handloads but will start with factory.

Rob Chipman
01-24-2016, 10:03 PM
Don't know what guys are using, but a buddy got one last summer. Loves it.

odie1830
01-24-2016, 10:04 PM
ya , I'm going to be mounting my scope this week and hope to get out next week to sight it in. I will be using factory ammo to start.

Antwonmh
01-24-2016, 10:08 PM
My 7-08 S2 likes 120gr barnes ttsx and 140gr winchester silvertips. Both shoot within 3/4 of an inch at 100 yards. I haven't found any cartridges that wont shoot well out of my Weatherby's.

Xenomorph
01-24-2016, 10:16 PM
165g Hornady SSTs seems to work wonders for mine.
165g Barnes TSX - tried one bullet once, a long shot, did its job
150g Remington CoreLokt - put two cases through mine target shooting and got too many duds. People like CoreLokts, I liked the price, didn't appreciate the misfires. Maybe a bad batch?

So far from everything I've tried SSTs are what my gun likes best.

Lastcar
01-24-2016, 11:25 PM
My plan now is to use something in the 180gr ballpark. Use the .270 with the 130-140gr.

But as mentioned above, I've also heard it is tough to feed it anything it doesn't like.

Time will tell.

Bugle M In
01-25-2016, 03:10 AM
curious to hear what others say as well.
ammo can be pricey to go and try out a bunch of different brands.
I have a 300 win mag s2, but haven't had much of chance to shot it a lot.
Using 180gr (elk) federal "trophy bonded tip", not bad as far as things go, but I wouldn't say "stellar".
Curious about the barnes, and hornady?

sawmill
01-25-2016, 07:50 AM
curious to hear what others say as well.
ammo can be pricey to go and try out a bunch of different brands.
I have a 300 win mag s2, but haven't had much of chance to shot it a lot.
Using 180gr (elk) federal "trophy bonded tip", not bad as far as things go, but I wouldn't say "stellar".
Curious about the barnes, and hornady?
The Vangaurd shoots standard 30.06 ammo. It don`t shoot weatherby brass. 160 grn. Federal Premiums will do everything you need.Too much time spent on figuring the "best " ammo and too little time spent hunting and learning to hunt. And learning to shoot well when the critter is in the crosshairs.

Weatherby Fan
01-25-2016, 08:31 AM
Just picked up a weatherby vanguard s2 30-06.
What ammo is everyone using with there weatherbys?

I have hunted a fair bit with a 30-06 and have always used Federal Premium 165gr Nosler Partitions, accurate and always kills what I hit !

I have had a few Vanguards 25-06,7mm-08,243......but none in 30-06, most every rifle shoots some bullet type and weight's better than others, you just have to do some trial and error,

I would try a Federal Fusion or Federal Premium in the type and weight of bullet your going to hunt with and go from there, most of the Vanguard S2s seem to be fairly accurate out of the box as long as you do your part.

BRvalley
01-25-2016, 09:05 AM
I picked up a 270 on sale....so far only shot 2 boxes through it, federal blue box 150 gr, and a box of hornady interlock 130gr...it liked the federal a lot more than the hornady, shot into 3/4" at 100 yards, the interlock about 2"

Bugle M In
01-25-2016, 11:05 AM
The Vangaurd shoots standard 30.06 ammo. It don`t shoot weatherby brass. 160 grn. Federal Premiums will do everything you need.Too much time spent on figuring the "best " ammo and too little time spent hunting and learning to hunt. And learning to shoot well when the critter is in the crosshairs.

Hey man, I done a lot of shooting over the years my friend...don't you worry about me.
Ongoing health/shoulder issues have made it a problem as of late.
As for brand and bullet weight and bullet performance...there can be some big differences!
I have a 270 husky, that can shoot of box of 20 inside a quarter.
But, it depends on what box.
Loves Winchester, HATES federal.
But, over the years, manufactures like to stop making one bullet, and come out with something else.
Lately, I use XP3 for the 270.....but....lately. I have very disappointed about the reaction my last 2 Bucks had.
So, Now I have to think what I would like to try...back to the range ...and back to seeing what performs well for the "fussy" gun.
I hear a lot like barnes and the ttsx.
I guess what I am saying is...the OP makes a legit question on asking members here on what people are shooting and how those
bullets perform ...etc.
I think it's a great question!
I bought the first "top quality" box of ammo suggested to me at Reliables, but I know that it takes time to and money to find out
which brand and bullet weight performs "best" for "each specific rifle"
It was hard for me to ask guys about their "huskies" due to them not being overly popular.
So, when someone asks about performance on a rifle that I own....I am going to listen , save myself some $$$, and not be told
the issue is my shooting abilities.
If you shoot a lot...you will know there can be big differences.
But than there is also the Bullet performance to be considered as well!!?? not just the bulls eye.

Xenomorph
01-25-2016, 04:55 PM
If you shoot a lot...you will know there can be big differences.
But than there is also the Bullet performance to be considered as well!!?? not just the bulls eye.

On paper everything pointed towards the CoreLokt 150g - bought two boxes. Lined up good on target, but the misfires on a brand new rifle worried me. Manager at CT said it must have been a weird/off batch. Problem is in the woods you don't have time for that.

165g SSTs I swear worked miracles for me. Bang/Flop whether it was 40yards or 100+

165g Barnes TTSX I can only base my comments on taking the biggest Blacktail buck to date. One bullet, one shot, 120~ yards, neck shot. Now, the damage in the meat was not as big as the SST, bullet had stayed together fairly well but nice wound channel, cracked vertebrae and instant FLOP.

Following the old custom of KISS: if I ever reach for the next box of ammo it will be an SST; if it's not available, then get a TTSX ...if all hell breaks loose and the two are not to be found, then buy few different ones and hit the range. Whatever hits consistently I'd buy half a dozen boxes and forget about it.

Ohwildwon
01-25-2016, 08:19 PM
You know when your window shopping, come across something you really like, check the price tag and roll your eyes...

My Weatherby V S2 in 30.06 loves the Barnes ttsx in 150 grain...

Very inconsistent with the $25.00 Winny or the Fed...

Have yet to experiment with the 165 or 180..

Migrating to hand loading first..

savagecanuck
01-25-2016, 08:44 PM
Every rifle is going to be different. Best to buy 3 different types of ammo in the grain you want to use.Take it to the range and see which groups the best and then stick with it.My S2 in 223 shoots well under moa with winchester white box.I'm going to try federal blue box in my new S2 Krytec Typhon 243.

40incher
01-25-2016, 10:39 PM
My son has a Weatherby 30.06 MOA ... I tend to borrow it once in a while!!

Federal Premium High-Energy in the 180 grain Nosler Partition for Grizzly ... 165 grain for moose, elk, black bear, etc ...

I have hunted a fair bit with a 30-06 and have always used Federal Premium 165gr Nosler Partitions, accurate and always kills what I hit !

I have had a few Vanguards 25-06,7mm-08,243......but none in 30-06, most every rifle shoots some bullet type and weight's better than others, you just have to do some trial and error,

I would try a Federal Fusion or Federal Premium in the type and weight of bullet your going to hunt with and go from there, most of the Vanguard S2s seem to be fairly accurate out of the box as long as you do your part.

odie1830
02-06-2016, 10:06 AM
Well finally got out to the range! my 30-06 weatherby s2 vanguard loved the federal 165grn nossler partions. great groupings and deadly accurate!

KBC
02-06-2016, 10:23 AM
Good to know, I just picked up an S2 with the laminate stock in 30-06 as well. I'll try a box of those first.
Thanks!

Weatherby Fan
02-06-2016, 10:26 AM
Well finally got out to the range! my 30-06 weatherby s2 vanguard loved the federal 165grn nossler partions. great groupings and deadly accurate!

doesn't surprise me one bit, I use the same cartridge in my Husqvarna 30-06 and it performs well at the range and on animals.
Thanks for posting
WF

odie1830
02-06-2016, 12:57 PM
also tried the cheap Winchester 165 grn but wasn't happy with the results. not as consistent

Sportster
06-03-2016, 12:15 PM
First of all great choice in a rifle. I bought my vanguard s2 stainless 30-06 when they first came out. Put a Vortex Viper HS 2.5x10-44 on it . and can tell you it is a confident inspiring shooting system! I've tried lots of different ammo and it very well, but seems to love Hornady superformance sst 165g. I'm shooting 3in groups at 300 yards off the bench consistently out at Mission. Enjoy your new gun. I love mine. Hope to see you out at mission this fall for the public shoots (I might join this year )