PDA

View Full Version : Prince Rupert 1st week of June

Caribou_lou
01-24-2016, 12:22 PM
Hello HBC Fisherman and Fisherwomen

Three of my Buddies and I have planned an Ocean fishing trip for the first week in June. We are planning on the North end of Dundas to target Chinook. A couple of us have been there before years ago but it was in the early part of July. We did well that time of year but are unable to go then.

What can we expect for the first week in June? Are there typically many fish around then? The research I have done tells me the chinook start moving through in May but not much mentioned about start of June. There is much talk online about end of June and start of July being prime time.

Has as anyone fished start of June out that way? I'm not "fishing" for your hotspots either. Just general info on amounts of fish that have been around or caught that time of year.

I promise a great thread and lots of pictures in return! Going to have my new Go Pro mounted so hope we have some videos to share as well.

Buckzilla
01-24-2016, 07:54 PM
Dundas will be good for springs early June. Winding down mid July.
love fishing out there!!!!!
good luck

scoutlt1
01-24-2016, 08:05 PM
I've always had the best fishing for spring there late June/early July.....but you guys should still do well in early June.

North side of Dundas produces some nice fish!

Looking forward to the report and pics!!

GoatGuy
01-24-2016, 08:22 PM
We used to do before Father's day. Picked that to avoid the pinks/coho. Sometimes spotty other times sore arms by lunch. Usually a great time for springs.

monasheemountainman
01-24-2016, 08:42 PM
Sounds like fun good luck! It's beautiful out there!

Caribou_lou
01-24-2016, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will be sure to put together a thread so in following years others will have some info to refer too. Hope we can come home with lots of positive info! I believe this year should produce some big fish.

Caribou_lou
01-24-2016, 09:16 PM
It's a great time of year to be looking forward to a trip like this. I almost forgot about spring Grizz! Fingers crossed for Grizz tag!

Sunzuki
01-25-2016, 09:34 AM
The ocean should be completely thawed by then.
Have fun.

Caribou_lou
01-25-2016, 02:13 PM
The ocean should be completely thawed by then.
Have fun.

Hope it's thawed first week in February. We are going for winter chinook then.

Caribou_lou
02-21-2016, 07:36 PM
We are now booked to go into the mouth of the Work Channel. Anyone have any good tips for there?

Caribou_lou
02-21-2016, 07:38 PM
Trolling Indian head for Chinooks start of June

showtimebc
02-22-2016, 10:54 PM
Sounds like a fun trip! Can I come?

Caribou_lou
02-23-2016, 05:19 PM
Sounds like a fun trip! Can I come?

If you do your the designated bartender. That means you bring the booze and stir the drinks!

Van Island
02-25-2016, 09:42 PM
Dundas much better, I used to guide out of Rupert, we would 'rarely' go to Work channel but regularly go to Dundas.

showtimebc
02-26-2016, 09:26 AM
If you do your the designated bartender. That means you bring the booze and stir the drinks!

Haha deal!

two-feet
02-29-2016, 06:46 AM
North end of dundas seems to be a major staging area, i thnk they often hold there and feed off the kelp beds, then move down to stephens island. Another place close to the work channel is the southern end of steamer passage/ melville island where it opens up into a bit of a sound. we have bonked a few chinook there. Mouth of the work can be great jigging on a slack tide but it has a damn sticky bottom

Weatherby Fan
02-29-2016, 07:16 AM
From the mouth of Work Ch it's 11 miles across to the N/E corner of Dundas or 17 to the N/W corner, either way not to far to run in good weather, just watch the Outflows out of Portland Inlet.

If you fish around Dundas take lots of bug spray or even a head net, I don't think there's a worse place on the planet for noseeums, I'm pretty sure a human could not live there !

Caribou_lou
03-03-2016, 05:56 PM
Mouth of the work can be great jigging on a slack tide but it has a damn sticky bottom

I have heard this more than a few times. Im going to be afraid to touch bottom!

Thanks for the tips guys. Good to know there are other areas to head to if we are striking out.