PDA

View Full Version : Air crossbow??

Fallkniven
01-23-2016, 08:57 PM
Has anyone seen these..
http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/

290fps at present, makers say future versions will exceed the fastest crossbow speeds....I guess it would class as an airgun?, but could you hunt with it here?

Fallkniven
01-23-2016, 09:19 PM
OK, that didn't take long , this one is 450fps...Jim Shockey just shot a bison with one....
http://www.crosman.com/airbow

gmachine19
01-23-2016, 09:22 PM
I wonder what the legality would be...

Gateholio
01-23-2016, 09:24 PM
I think this is the third thread on the Crossman Airbow

Legal to hunt with in BC in GOS, not bow season. It would be classed as a firearm by BC hunting regs

hunter1947
01-24-2016, 05:29 AM
I think this is the third thread on the Crossman Airbow

Legal to hunt with in BC in GOS, not bow season. It would be classed as a firearm by BC hunting regs

Good feed back Clark then why would a person want to buy one to hunt with if you can't use it in the bow season for me no thanks my rifle
will reach out further than this air bow ,,what good use would this air bow be good for ???..

E.B.
01-24-2016, 09:02 AM
Good feed back Clark then why would a person want to buy one to hunt with if you can't use it in the bow season for me no thanks my rifle
will reach out further than this air bow ,,what good use would this air bow be good for ???..
I guess someone who cannot get a pal for whatever reason but has a hunting license . its under 500 fps so no firearms license would be required and probably very easy to shoot out to 50-60 yards.

hunter1947
01-24-2016, 09:40 AM
I guess someone who cannot get a pal for whatever reason but has a hunting license . its under 500 fps so no firearms license would be required and probably very easy to shoot out to 50-60 yards.

This is treu and would be good for a handicapped person..

Bugle M In
01-24-2016, 01:32 PM
too bad they fall under firearm...a lot more diverse in my opinion than a crossbow.
better balance, like a hunting rifle.
easier to carry over the shoulder all day...obviously.
no worry of accidentally having fingers in the wrong place, and having the bow string removing finger tips, or
at least leaving them numb for 2 weeks.
Good to know they fall under forearm, as we had just been talking and wondering what it's classification would be.

Gateholio
01-24-2016, 02:51 PM
Why would someone want one?

Something different.

It could be useful to use to hunt in areas where a rifle isn't a great idea due to noise or projectile travel. It has many of the attributes of a bow (quiet, limited range) yet is relatively easy to use competently, and more compact than a crossbow.

Another tool in the toolbox, really up to the individual to decide if they want one, like most things these days. :)

Fallkniven
01-24-2016, 04:40 PM
Nice to hunt with something that doesn't require you to wear ear plugs(!)...I have a crossbow, but I thought this looked like a good/better option, as it has good velocity, handles like a rifle, doesn't have the bow limb width and would be pretty accurate considering the consistant feed of air etc. I had thought about a bigbore air rifle too, but I don't think they are legal to use here(?).

Foxtail
01-24-2016, 04:46 PM
It was at the ATA and the guys that shot it and were around while it was being fired said it sounded like a .22 magnum going off... So not very quiet.

Bugle M In
01-24-2016, 04:56 PM
there are some areas, (1 that I know of in particular) which is GOS, meaning legal to hunt, but, there is a firearm restriction
in the area, so, you're only option is to walk in with a bow to legally hunt the area.
I have the use of a crossbow, from a friend if needed, but I always refused just because I find it cumbersome to hike around with all day
IMO.
This air/bow rifle would have been a lot more practical...but as stated, it falls under the definition of "firearm.

300H&H
01-24-2016, 07:32 PM
Should make it easier for poachers to take animals...but Jim Shockeys video was still cool. Great power.

Grinder
01-26-2016, 04:40 AM
what makes this classify as a firearm? I see it as a bow still. No different than when the crossbow came out, people thought that should be classified as a firearm. Just saying, I don't know for sure how it will be classified but I think it should be classified as a bow still.

wideopenthrottle
01-26-2016, 08:53 AM
um...not my choice but I would expect it to be classified as a firearm because it uses compressed air like a pellet gun...if it had a string then I would think that it would be a bow.

brian
01-26-2016, 08:59 AM
Yeah it lacks the bow part of the bow, which would make it tough to classify as archery tackle. It'll probably challenge a few reg definitions. I could see a real use for it in the bow only areas if it wold be allowed. Cool thing though what ever it is.

Bowzone_Mikey
01-26-2016, 09:11 AM
its a ****ing speargun ...or dart gun

has zero right to be called a bow

put a lighter projectile in it and will go well over 500 fps

375 grain bolt is actually pretty heavy for a bolt

J_T
01-26-2016, 11:12 PM
what makes this classify as a firearm? I see it as a bow still. No different than when the crossbow came out, people thought that should be classified as a firearm. Just saying, I don't know for sure how it will be classified but I think it should be classified as a bow still. Federally a crossbow is managed as a firearm (depends on the length). In BC a crossbow is considered as archery tackle. By definition, a crossbow is a firearm. It is not held by the strength of the shooter (not archer) and it is trigger released.

butcher
01-27-2016, 08:53 AM
its a ****ing speargun ...or dart gun

has zero right to be called a bow

put a lighter projectile in it and will go well over 500 fps

375 grain bolt is actually pretty heavy for a bolt

This! Exactly this! OMFG

Gateholio
01-27-2016, 09:02 AM
Federally a crossbow is managed as a firearm (depends on the length). In BC a crossbow is considered as archery tackle. By definition, a crossbow is a firearm. It is not held by the strength of the shooter (not archer) and it is trigger released.

Federally a crossbow is a bow, not a firearm. Crossbows don't meet any common definition of a firearm.

Barracuda
01-27-2016, 09:10 AM
I actually thought it was pretty neat. would love to play with one .

brian
01-27-2016, 11:18 AM
500 fps or above in an air rifle and it is considered a firearm. This one is sub 500, but I have no idea how they would handle using lighter projectiles in calculating this. I bet RCMP could get this thing above 500 fps, modified for auto fire, and a variant of something scarey so they will classify it as prohibited. But as far as I know you would not need a PAL to buy this (as an air rifle). I haven't read anything about a crossbow being considered a firearm and as far as I know you do not need a PAL to buy one. They are covered in the firearms act in terms of court orders prohibiting their possession by individuals. But there is no mention of this...
By definition, a crossbow is a firearm. It is not held by the strength of the shooter (not archer) and it is trigger released.

This is what the RCMP site says on crossbows, but these laws are not covered under the firearms act. The RCMP classify them as bows and are covered under the same regulations.

Crossbows that can be aimed and fired with one hand and crossbows with an overall length of 500 mm or less are prohibited. You cannot lawfully possess or acquire a prohibited crossbow. You do not need a valid licence or registration certificate to possess any other type of bow, including a crossbow that is longer than 500 mm and that requires the use of both hands. Criminal Code provisions making it an offence to acquire a crossbow without a valid licence were never brought into force.

Gateholio
01-27-2016, 04:01 PM
If the RCMP can get it to shoot a bolt over 500fps it will be classed as a firearm. Probably non restricted.

Camp Cook
01-30-2016, 07:04 AM
I actually like it and see a use for it.

I hunt a local area with single projectile/rifle but I have to either drive or hike thru a shotgun with shot or bowhunting only area to access it I also want to hunt deer and coyotes in the valley

Been planning on buying a takedown recurve bow that I can slip into my Eberlestock X3 lodrag day pack so I can have either my rifle or bow out depending on where I am.

With this Crosman it would be super simple to swap back and forth other issue is I do not have time to practice with a bow much anymore where as I used to be proficient enough to take over 50 yard shots I now limit myself to 40 with a bow.

IronNoggin
02-08-2016, 01:07 PM
Wonder just how long before this fellow develops the Full Auto Version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xXYeQL-5z0&feature=youtu.be

And after he does, would it still be "legal"?? :D

Wondering...
Nog

Foxtail
02-08-2016, 06:49 PM
The slingshot guy... I like him. He sure has a lot of fun.

IronNoggin
02-10-2016, 05:13 PM
LOL!

Not Long!! :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2PCSSpMl8E

Cheers,
Nog

Foxtail
02-10-2016, 05:29 PM
Lmao... Jorg is super fun to watch lol

tater
02-10-2016, 08:11 PM
No string. No limbs. Not a bow.

Has no business anywhere other than in a general season, not in an archery season.

howa1500
02-11-2016, 01:14 PM
The Rc's are already moving to get this prohibited the same as a "handgun " style cross bow.
They are just waiting for Trudeau s committee to sit.

Gateholio
02-11-2016, 02:59 PM
The Rc's are already moving to get this prohibited the same as a "handgun " style cross bow.
They are just waiting for Trudeau s committee to sit.

Prohibited due to what ?

Where did you hear this?

Stresd
02-11-2016, 04:34 PM
PCP . Pre-charged Pneumatic spear guns like the Mares Models for Divers have been sold here in Canada for quite a while, with no interference from the RCMP. Exact same Same principal as the Air crossbow, Both use compressed air to shoot an arrow or a spear.

howa1500
02-12-2016, 05:42 PM
Prohibited due to what ?

Where did you hear this?

Heard it straight from the guys who make the recommendations.

Same guys who want to move all post war semi auto center fire weapons such as the sks and norinco m305 to restricted status.

Same people who make handgun crossbows illegal, yet full size crossbows legal.

Same people who have made all sorts of weird decisions on firearms

Believe what you want, but marks my words, it'll happen.

Gateholio
02-12-2016, 10:11 PM
That sucks.

Not that I want one, but that would be just ridiculous. It's a speargun.

brian
02-13-2016, 10:25 AM
Brought to you by the same people who cleaned nun-chucks off our streets! Man am I glad that menace has been eradicated.

elkhunter1
02-14-2016, 10:12 PM
It should be Classified as an Air Arrow Launcher.
There is No Fire No Powder No Primer,
Just Air launching an Arrow at 450 Feet Per Second..
My Diana Air Rifle shoots a Pellet over 1000 Feet per Second is Classified as a Firearm and needed a PAL to Purchase.