PDA

View Full Version : break in boots

hunter1947
05-23-2007, 08:29 PM
I wore my hunting boots all weekend long when i was bear scouting and i get a rash at the back of the leg were the top of the boot ends ,i put a piece of cardboard in the back ,it comes up past the top of the boot ,was wondering if you can buy some sort of liner that would do the same thing ???. The rest of the lower boot fits good ,no problem's there ,have any of you out there had this kind of problem ???. I do the boots up tight and i also tried to unlace them two notches it still did not work trying different methods. PS these boots are aspose to be at the top of the line ,they are Diotto boots ,vibram ,they coast me $284.00.

Alpine85
05-23-2007, 08:36 PM
I've never had that happen with hunting boots. However when I was younger working at a truck wash, my rubber boots did that and wore all the hair off the back of my leg..:)

steveo32
05-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Terry you sure you were not sheep ranching:twisted: I heard from you brother you still have the sticky gloves:twisted:

browningboy
05-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Hey 1947, one way that may help is to wear thin long johns underneath your pants, or double up your socks or simply don't string them to the top, if they are too stiff, soak them and walk around in them for a bit, will help them stretch faster. Hope that helps.:mrgreen:

Rubicon500
05-23-2007, 09:15 PM
Alpine who are you trying to kid about working in the Car wash LOL :mrgreen:

05-23-2007, 09:18 PM
my rubber boots did that and wore all the hair off the back of my leg..:smile:

Did you expect anything less? :):)

youngfellla
05-23-2007, 09:57 PM
I had that problem with a new pair once, they were too stiff. I usually lace them up a bit loose and walk into a creek and get them soaked, and just wear them all day while hiking until they dry off. Seems to work good.

Alpine85
05-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Did you expect anything less? :):)

HAHA nope!!! always good to have some humor around here....:mrgreen:

Steveo, sticky gloves are nice but velcro gloves and a steep drop off are where its at... LOL

hunter1947
05-24-2007, 04:52 AM
I think i am going to take the boots back were i bought them from ,for that price something is not right ???.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif

Deaddog
05-24-2007, 10:30 AM
you might try and put vaseline on the top of your boot, may get you past the breakin period.

BANG!
05-24-2007, 04:50 PM
Hi Hunter

Once you've tightened the laces of the boots up at the front (like you would if you were wearing shoes) do you loop the laces around the back of your ankles before tieing them up in a bow at the front? I've seen a lot of folks do that and that can cause irritation on the achilles tendons / back of the calf muscles. Also, check inside to see if there is an obvious seam on the mid line - sometimes it might not be sitting flat - or have some sort of raised section, that might not look like much, but over a few hours on the feet, those tiny imperfections can add up to big trouble. I never buy boots that have an obvious mid line seam on the back 'cup' of the boot.

Sorry if these ideas are over simplistic - I hope it might be something you can fix easy, and get some miles out of those boots like you planned.

good luck,

hunter1947
05-24-2007, 05:05 PM
I talked to a few people about this problem from this forum ,i am wearing the boots right now and they are soken wet i filled them with water and latter i will go for a good hike will see what happens ???.

horshur
05-24-2007, 05:52 PM
I think i am going to take the boots back were i bought them from ,for that price something is not right ???.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif

I think any good stiff boot is gonna take some time to break in. Least that has always been my experience.

One Shot
05-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Hunter1947, are you sure what you have isn't razor burn???:razz:

Some boots have a stiff spine and may cause chaffiing. I recommend wearing some soft wool socks that are taller than the boots. If the problem persists wear a thin wool sock and a heavier one outside, the thinner sock should take the chaffing not your skin other than that you may have to take the boots back.

You mention soaking them in water. Use isopropyl alcohol instead as it does not affect the leather. Water can cause leather to shrink and in some cases depending on the tan process harden the leather. Soak the inside and outside including the back and go for a walk till dry. Alcohol won't affect the leather although it may cause some of the dye if any to stain your socks and skin. This I learned fom a custom boot maker many years ago.

Good luck

hunter1947
05-25-2007, 04:55 AM
I am sure it is razor burn ,what the problum is ,is that the arch is to stiff and there fore the boot pulles to the back of my leg when walking causing the back top to rub. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif

RiverOtter
05-25-2007, 05:24 AM
Do both boots do the same thing, or is just one boot giving you trouble?
A taller sock(light weight wool) may be all you need.

RO

hunter1947
05-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Do both boots do the same thing, or is just one boot giving you trouble?
A taller sock(light weight wool) may be all you need.

RO bouth boots do the same thing and i have tried hi socks being thicker.

Fisher-Dude
05-25-2007, 08:29 AM
Pee in them, and the salt will soften the leather. :wink:

hunter1947
05-25-2007, 08:32 AM
They are drying after filling them with water last night and going for a 5 mile hike in them ,will see what gives tonight when i go for a nother hike.:roll:

Phil
05-25-2007, 11:46 AM
Try tying them so your heal is forced into the back of the boot. This may prevent them from riding up on your leg. You can do this by crossing the laces in a tight granny not where the ankle meets the foot after the laces are hooked through the lowest cleat. Then proceed to lace them as you normally would and tie at the top. I used to do this for a pair of Vasque boots I had and it worked very well.