PDA

View Full Version : How did you get into archer? and why do you bow hunt?

Kirby
05-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Simple question, complex answers. So if you had to sum it up, or give a long reason why... How did you get into archery, and why do you bowhunt?

For me its about the challenge. I've taken game with a rifle, but never got as excited as when I was in bow range of an unknown animal. I hunt with a bow and not open sights or a muzzle loader because when I was 5 my dad took me and my brothers to a sunday night shoot at the club. I took up the sport instantly and was shooting for badges and competitions within a couple of years, graduated to compounds and grouse and rabbit hunting when I was 12, deer hunting @ 14, I got tired of the sport but returned to it several years later.

Kirby

bochunk2000
05-23-2007, 07:53 PM
I got into archery because 2 guys from work (Nails& Puppychow) were going to a 3D and asked if I would like to come along. I was hooked. I progressed into Bow hunting when I was more proficient. I love to bow hunt as its more of a challenge and I think its more intimate. I get more excitement out of getting a stalk on an animal with my bow even if it beats me, then I do in success with a rifle. IE we went out for bears last weekend. Saw 7 6 in rifle range, never got one with the bow. I felt successful. I did get 1 stalk but the swirling winds busted me.
Steve.

J_T
05-23-2007, 09:33 PM
I've been a hunter for ever, I'm sure it is in my blood. My Dad, brother and brother in law bowhunted in the 70's and I always gave them a hard time.

During the 80's I noticed that most animals I was taking where at relatively close range.

When I moved to the country, I was looking for something to do with my four sons. Either .22 shooting in the back, or archery. It seemed archery won out with the kids. So we started hunting with the bow.

With the advent of the gun registry I dropped most of my guns and now I don't have any. The bow is the only way for me to hunt. I could buy a rifle as I have a PAL but I love the simplicity of the bow.

I agree with you, I have never enjoyed getting as close to animals as I have since I started bowhunting. With a rifle I ended the hunt as soon as a shot and the right animal presented itself, I didn't get to learn more about the animal as I do now. An animal in close, does not mean taking an animal.

Thanks for the question.

JT

Tuffcity
05-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Picked up archery from my Mom. (learned how to read rivers and paddle from my Dad) Over all a good combo, but I digress... :) Began shooting home made kit about when I turned 6, when I used to run wild and free on my grandparent's dairy farm and my Grandmother would whittle arrows for my cousin and I out of the kindling pile. We'd hunt granary mice with our own-built vine maple bows, butchers twine for strings and grandma's arrows.

Neighbour gave me an old Ben Pearson recurve he had gathering dust in his garage when I was about 8. (Still have it) Shot that 'curve on and off (target) into my teens until I was about 20 and a room mate introduced me to his brother, who was a die hard bow hunter. For some reason he took me under his wing and spent countless patient hours mentoring this raw neophyte. I bought a PSE compound back then, shot 3 pins and fingers, killed a lot of deer with that old bow.

But my heart was always with the simplistic beauty of the recurve and about 15 years ago I went back to the "trad" aspect of things and haven't looked back.

My 3 kids shoot (12 yr old son took first in the junior recurve div at the Nanaimo shoot :-D) and I hope that is a seed planted, like is was with me "lo these many years ago..."

RC

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/Tuffcity/Africa/bow1.jpg

South Africa, April 2007

Bow Walker
05-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Like J T I've been hunting since I was old enough for my Dad to take me out with him when he went. My brothers hunted for years and enjoyed it just about as much as I do, but I'm the only one that still gets juiced by the idea of hunting.

It seemed to me that after years of gun hunting - some successful, some not - well I just wanted a different and more challenging way of getting a deer, or anything for that matter.

I used to play around with a fiberglass bow when I was a kid and now that I have taken it up again, I remember the fun that it was. I've sold off all my useful guns and now it's the bow and arrow for me.

pupper
05-23-2007, 10:02 PM
I had just started hunting and I met Chris Harrington a friend of my father in law's and Chris suggested that I should buy a bow and that I would like it.

After I shot a few animals with a rifle I wanted more of a challenge and the appeal of bowhunting excited me. I told Chris that I was interested in a bow and he found me a hoyt at a reasonable price and I got practising. Chris also helped me find my first archery animal a black bear last spring. So basically Chris (swamper) was a huge influence on me and I forever thank him for introducing me to bowhunting as I get alot of satisfaction from it. I didnt even hunt 1 day in the last year with a rifle. and so far I have taken 4 big game animals with archery tackle.

The Hermit
05-23-2007, 10:32 PM
I went to a three day conference a couple years ago in Ottawa in the company of J_T and the ba$tard got me really thinking about the excitement and challenge of getting close, real close, to a big elk and taking it up close and personal!

Then he holds out the carrot... maybe if I was a bow hunter he could see a way to show me the ropes on an elk hunt! Oh that thought worked like a fine grit in my shorts and I just had to get a bow.

So I bought a bow this Christmas as a present to myself and started attending some 3-D shoots and practicing every couple days in my backyard. Throught this adventure I also met BowWalker adn his brother BowSitter and a bunch of other archers here on the island. They have been incredible. Dan has taken me out to the range a couple times, taught me to make and repair arrows, lent me the gear to do so, offered to lend me a bow to try befor buying and on and on! WOW. I was sure to tell J_T all this in hopes that I might find myself in Cranbrook this Sept... you know the big hint!!!

So next thing I get an invite to join OneSock and Denis up in the Conuma Valley a few weeks ago to go on a bear hunt.... the boys want to check me out eh! I went and had a great time and killed a nice bear from 13 yards with a complete pass through and I was flabergasted at how fast he died! Talk about a lethal weapon! :shock:

So now I'm hooked! I can hardly freaking wait till Sept 1st!!! Blame J_T, BowWalker, BowSitter, and the great comraderie... its all their fault!! At least thats what I tell the war department! :-P

Rookie
05-24-2007, 12:15 AM
Being new to hunting,hence the handle by the way I`m39.It`s the stalk and just being out there that gets me going.I concider it a success if I see some beautiful country and connect with my self.I do enjoy the meat and take part in the butchering and processing of any animal I have been witness to.I have decided to take part in bowhunting for the challange.After seeing Kirby drop a lifetime muley by bow just a few hours from my home it made me grateful for the oppertunities that we have.I may get less animals but each one will be a trophy to me.Not to high jack a thred but I have been shooting about 60 to 80 arrows a day only minute of boiler maker from different distsnces.I feel I am ready for bear given thr proper shot (broadside,inside 20) Do you think it would be foolish of me to proceed so quickly? P.S. I should mention I Have only been shooting for a week annd plan on going out after an other.I have shot bear before and belive in one shot,proper placement.

tailgate77
05-24-2007, 07:25 AM
I have been a waterfowl and small game hunter since I was a child. My dad liked to drive the logging roads and look for grouse and see the country. I soon was shooting scatterguns for grouse, but I never really liked the fact that I was just blasting them where they sat. My friend bought a bow years ago, I shot it and it has been in my mind ever since. I bought my bow last fall and I am totally obsessed with archery. I want to learn everything about it, modern and traditional. I hope to take something with it this season, even if its just a bird or rabbit. Just taking my bow out and shooting targets, milk jugs or animals, its just such a beautiful way to spend time. I can't wait until my daughter can shoot. She already told me she wants a purple bow, and I have been breaking her in on the slingshot. She's only three.

Bigbear
05-24-2007, 10:03 AM
It's Simple With a Gun the Hunts over, with a Bow The hunts just started.

Rainwater
05-24-2007, 10:31 AM
I picked up the compound after years of shooting deer and elk at some crazy distances. It felt more like target shooting to me after awhile. The first few BOWONLY seasons were amazing. I could not beleive the solitude, the unspooked animals and the actual Joy of the hunt itself. I killed a few with the wheels, switched to the stick and never looked back.

echo
05-24-2007, 11:06 AM
:grin: about 6 years ago my son and a friend were trying to get their Duke of Edinburgh award, and joined archery, daughter joined soon after, then I started shooting since I had to be there with them anyways -- then hubby joined too -- I'm the only one shooting a recurve -- they have all gone 'tech' and have compound bows! None of us hunt yet, although kids want to!

BowSitter
05-24-2007, 07:18 PM
I went and walked a 3-D shoot with BowWalker and Eagle1 and was caught hook, line, and ....well you know the rest. I have been on one bow hunt (Princrton last year) for mulies and will be there again for sure. But 3-D is my achilles heel, I just love it!......Ron

The 'Hummer'
05-24-2007, 08:30 PM
I 'tried' it many years ago with a friend. We worked shift work on the same crew, car pooled. Sometimes on days off we'd get together and shoot at a hay bale target or even for a while prior to heading into work. We had recurves, made by a local guy by the name of Art Williams. I still have two of his bows but as was announced years later, archery equipment and scale sticks wasn't the only 'stuff' he made.
Kinda' lost interest until a couple of years ago, then a friend that is part owner of Archery Lanes in Sherwood Park AB 'talked' me into getting back into it. He set me up with a reasonable package, Darton compound and the required 'trimmings'.
When I quit smoking, as a reward, I bought a Hoyt Ultra-tec and trimmings and when I retired, I added to the Co. gift money and picked up a Hoyt Cyber-tec, and again the required trimmings:wink:, for hunting and 3D. The last couple of years I've been shooting at home for the most part, but it's time to get back to more club involvement again on a more regular basis. I have the time now.:)

Wagonmaster
05-24-2007, 09:02 PM
I've never bowhunted, but it seems to me that the chance of wounding and not recovering an animal would be a lot greater when bowhunting. I'm assuming, of course, that we're not taking rifle shots at running game at 300 yards. I don't quite get the phrase "with a gun the hunts over...with a bow the hunts just started". There is nothing stopping one from stalking an animal to within 20 or 30 yards and dropping it with a rifle. It's down for sure. I also feel more comfortable in bear country with a rifle. I'm not suggesting you guys get rid of your bows, just throwing up some thoughts for debate.

bochunk2000
05-25-2007, 05:51 AM
I've never bowhunted, but it seems to me that the chance of wounding and not recovering an animal would be a lot greater when bowhunting. I'm assuming, of course, that we're not taking rifle shots at running game at 300 yards. I don't quite get the phrase "with a gun the hunts over...with a bow the hunts just started". There is nothing stopping one from stalking an animal to within 20 or 30 yards and dropping it with a rifle. It's down for sure. I also feel more comfortable in bear country with a rifle. I'm not suggesting you guys get rid of your bows, just throwing up some thoughts for debate.

Unfortunately you have opened up a hornets nest previously debated on this site. I believe you will find oppinions varying from one extreme to the other on this issue. I do not believe there is any greater risk of wounding from a skilled archer than from a skilled rifleman. Poor shots from both will result in wounding so practice and shot placement are key.
My 2c
Steve.

Bow Walker
05-25-2007, 07:53 AM
Wagonmaster - as Steve said there are many (and varied) opinions on the subject. All I will say is that with a bow the stalk and the harvest (euphemism for kill) are much more up close and personal, and "in your face" than with a gun (with or without a scope).

Hummer - will we see you at the June 2 & 3 Cowichan 3D shoot?

The 'Hummer'
05-25-2007, 09:50 AM
Wagonmaster - as Steve said there are many (and varied) opinions on the subject. All I will say is that with a bow the stalk and the harvest (euphemism for kill) are much more up close and personal, and "in your face" than with a gun (with or without a scope).

Hummer - will we see you at the June 2 & 3 Cowichan 3D shoot?

Trying to get back in the game, that was my initial plan and I had recently attended a work party for some 3D target repairs. I've recently retired and as a transition from 40 years of 40 - 60hrs/week to full retirement, I still go in and work the odd maintenance shutdown. I've previously made a commitment so I'm working May 28th-June 3rd. I'll have to try and hit the next one.
I am giving serious consideration to the seniors games so not having done it before, I'll have to find all the requirement details and make sure I have them covered. All the best to you all in the shoot.

Rainwater
05-25-2007, 10:17 AM
Wagonmaster, Maybe you should re-read the reason Kirby started this post. Thanks anyway.

BCrams
05-25-2007, 10:43 AM
1 - take advantage of extending the length of the hunting season with the early September season and region 5 December season

2 - take advantage of the firearms discharge closure areas (i.e., within city limits provided there is no bylaw against bow hunting)

3 - take advantage of the highway 400 meter discharge of firearms rule. Never know when a big muley buck is dumb enough to hang around long enough for an opportunity to take him.

4 - I wanted to say "challenging" but its not. I have shot bucks and bulls within bow range with my rifle and have passed up many opportunities on smaller bucks / bulls inside of 20-30 yards. No challenge, just a different weapon and proper shot placement required with the bow.

In all my years of hunting, I have only run into a bow hunter once while hunting either the 'bow only' season or the GOS. They were road hunting with their bows. Driving around till they spot something and then attempt a stalk.

By all means, allow the youths to hunt with their weapon of choice.

Elkhound
05-25-2007, 11:24 AM
just started....was a way for me to become a more rounded hunter. I enjoy the extra skill involved in archery

Rainwater
05-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Ram, Definitely not as challenging as rifle hunting.... say was 400 or 500 metres?

BCrams
05-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Ram, Definitely not as challenging as rifle hunting.... say was 400 or 500 metres?

What I am saying is, while rifle hunting, I invariably get myself within bow range & shooting opportunity of legal animals every year.

Pulling off a stalk on an animal at 400 - 500 yards is fun!! No different than telling yourself to get within 30 yards with a rifle before shooting.

Onesock
05-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Rams- There is quite a difference in pulling a trigger on a gun at 20 yards and coming to full draw with a bow at this range. Just because a guy is 20 yds with a bow it doesn't mean a dead critter or even a shot. To each his own and I wish you all the luck this hunting season.

BCrams
05-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Rams- There is quite a difference in pulling a trigger on a gun at 20 yards and coming to full draw with a bow at this range. Just because a guy is 20 yds with a bow it doesn't mean a dead critter or even a shot. To each his own and I wish you all the luck this hunting season.

Re-read number 4 (last sentence). You don't think I know that??

No challenge, just a different weapon and proper shot placement required with the bow.

Thanks for the luck ........ I need it every year.

Rainwater
05-25-2007, 12:42 PM
No challenge, I gotta get my 300 Windchaser back to give that added challenge I guess....

BCrams
05-25-2007, 12:47 PM
No challenge, I gotta get my 300 Windchaser back to give that added challenge I guess....

You bet ! Even with a rifle you can make your hunt as challenging as you want it to be. (i.e., shooting nothing over 20 yards and must be broadside as if you're shooting a bow!)

But we know you choose the bow as you're going to put yourself in that position anyways!

Rainwater
05-25-2007, 01:27 PM
I have too, I know lots of rifle boys (hey I even like them) and I know not one that will elect to sneak to within 20 yards of a deer when they have them pinned at 100 yards and over. They shoot first and ask questions later. Come to think of it I only know one guy that even shoots open sights.

BCrams
05-25-2007, 01:35 PM
I have too, I know lots of rifle boys (hey I even like them) and I know not one that will elect to sneak to within 20 yards of a deer when they have them pinned at 100 yards and over. They shoot first and ask questions later. Come to think of it I only know one guy that even shoots open sights.

Now you know a guy who has in the past....sneak up on deer to within bow range.

Mind you though, I knew I wouldn't shoot them anyways as they were too small. In the case of big bucks, I will take them when the best shooting opportunity presents itself whether it be at 20 yards or 350 yards. If I happen to have a bow that particular day and its a big buck, I'll have a go of it and hope for the best as far as getting within range and having a good shot placement.

Rainwater
05-25-2007, 02:43 PM
BCRams, I admire your rarity.

GoatGuy
05-25-2007, 09:16 PM
I was given a handmade 40lb long bow as a kid by an uncle who was an avid hunter in Saskatchewan.

When I turned 10 he gave me a PSE compound, still on wheels and that's what I used.

The old man shot a recurve and took a few deer while I was with him back in the day - pretty exciting stuff. He now shoots a compound - doesn't have the time to kept up the instinct.

Used to go out to the club every Tuesday night and shoot with my buddies who were quite a bit older.

I used to bowhunt for the extra challenge and seasons. It was nice because I could hunt locally (like right in the backyard) after rifle season had closed and no other opportunities existed.

I've guided a few bowhunters and that's quite challenging but quite rewarding as a lot of these guys are 20 yrd flunkies even as bowhunters with seriously expensive rigs.

Now I take youth out during the early season and don't carry any weapon. I also have limited time and opportunity to shoot (I don't think they'd let me set up a target at the Sheraton in Gotham) and as a result end up packin' the iron all season.

I've also have quite a few runins with grizzwalds and 225 grns of lead work seem to work a lot better than 125 of razors!

With more time I'll get the bow out more.

J_T
05-26-2007, 05:42 AM
GG,

I was out hunting goats once, (perhaps a brother of yours8)), came back into camp and there was a Grizz going through my stuff. I set my bow on the ground (what good was it anyway right?) and started throwing rocks and sticks at the bear. Sort of put a perspective on weapons use. Not, being king of the forest and all. More times than I'd care to discuss, while out cow calling elk, I've called grizz into smelling range.

Awishanew
05-26-2007, 08:34 AM
I have hunted just about all my life. After many years shooting moose I took up Black Powder hunting. I bought a Tipi and decorated it up for rendevous. I bought a book called Bows and arrows of native Americans and proceded to make a yew bow backed with moose sinew and it had a moose sinew string. After 6 months of shooting with a group of compounders I let a guy try it and it blew up. I got a checkmate recurve and after shooting for a time got invited by Kirk to go hunting whitetail deer. I have shot or called in 40 to 50 moose for others to shoot with a rifle. I have gone out with the muzzel loader and got bears and moose but nothing compares the rush of hunting with a bow.

Bowzone_Mikey
05-27-2007, 12:58 PM
well I Rifle hunted some..here in BC ... then I moved to Alberta ...had a friend that bow hunted .... with the extremly liberal bow season in Alberta (Late august to the end of October with no breaks is strickly bow season for the most part in Alberta) I decided to give it a try ... I bought an old bow ... Took a few lessons at Jim Bows archery in Calgary ... went to a 3D in Lethbridge ... Met some of my best friends then ... they took me under their wings and I was hooked ... that was in January .... that fall I went on my first Bow hunt .... Nothing beats the rush of a 170 or so Southern Alberta Mule deer staring you in the face at 15 yards and not being able to draw your bow for fear that he would be off like a shot before you get set ... I didnt get my first harvest untill the folowing year ... I harvested a doe 5 years ago now .... Since then I live and Breathe Bow hunting and archery... its funny actually ... all indoor 3D season I do nothing but look forward to Outdoor ... all outdoor season I look forward to Hunting ... all Hunting season I look forward to indoor .... its a vicious circle.

In those 5 or so years I have gone through 6 bows ...my first PSE, a Martin Jag Mag , a Champion Mustang, Hoyt Super tec , Pro tec & Trykon ... I still have the Super tec for hunting and my Trykon is a Target bow ... I just shipped my Pro tec away the other day in fact .... I think I might Miss that bow ...
One of the most addicting aspects for me is the learning curve of all aspects of archery, the ability to tinker (ie: give a cable a twist ...move the rest a bit ... re sight ... screw in / out the limbs etc.....) with a rifle I just cant do all that ....sure you mess with weights and loads and thats about it.