PDA

View Full Version : Elk Bugle

7mmWSM
01-18-2016, 03:49 PM
Looking for a recommendation on elk bugle and resources (videos?) to learn. I've elk hunted for a couple of years now, but only cow called. Any tips on timing, technique, duration, combination with cow calling are helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Paul

J_T
01-18-2016, 04:17 PM
I'd do a search on here. The topic has been discussed at length more than a few times. One thing for sure, not everyone agrees on the approach or timing. Whatever works in the area you are hunting. Most people that have experience can make any bugle work. Each will have their preference on make and model. Probably more about the guy that sold it, than the bugle itself. I'd tell you that I combine cow calling with bugling and the next guy on here will tell you that the combination has never worked for him.

hunter1947
01-18-2016, 05:04 PM
I use the power bugle it works good for me..

OutWest
01-18-2016, 05:16 PM
Pick a bugle and practise. I have switched to a diaphragm as I like being able to make a bunch of different sounds but had success with all sorts of models before making the switch.

Had partners get bulls fired up with what most would think is pretty brutal bugling and also had bulls answer that I would have sworn was another hunter blowing on a bugle for the first time if we hadn't brought them in. Bulls make all sorts of sounds and some of the time they sound pretty awful as well. Bottom line is to practise with whatever one you choose. Bugles are one item where price isn't a reflection of how good the product is, rather how well each is marketed.

ACE
01-18-2016, 05:27 PM
'Abe & Son' ....... external diaphragm/tube.
Combined with a cow/calf call ...

As mentioned above ........ practice, practice, practice!
Did I mention practice ... ?

hunter1947
01-18-2016, 07:16 PM
I have used the reed diaphragm now going on to 30 years I use these reeds with the open tube for locating my favorit one is the HS tripple reed
get good deep sounds out of this one..

Now and then I use the power bugle but not to often you can get lots of different sounds using the reed you
can even call in turkies with the reed..

The trick on using a elk call whether its a bugle or whatever you use you have to now when to use it right when
you have located a bull elk..

todbartell
01-18-2016, 09:06 PM
brand of call is not as important as becoming proficient with it. Practice enough so you're confident to use the call at any time. I've used almost every brand on the market, they all can work. Hunter Specialties MAC DADDY is probably the easiest to use, but one downside is the reeds aren't very durable. Primos Terminator probably the most popular, and easy to blow. Very durable mouthpiece

I'd suggest grabbing a few mouth diaphrams and learn to use them. There is no elk call on the market that can duplicate their sound and versatility. You can switch from a cow call to a bugle, groan, grunt, chuckle, calf call, in seconds. And hands free

Master a good high pitch location bugle and use that to your advantage. It's a non threatening/hey who's out there? call, and will really get the bulls answering. From there I would slip in silently within a couple hundred yards and take his temperature with some cow calls.

Cow calling on it's own can be very effective in calling in bulls, but injecting the right bull sounds will boost your odds for success. Case in point, this fall I had heard a bull bugling in the distance. I didn't need to bugle back, I already knew where he was. I walked to within a few hundred yards and tried some cow calls. He answered but was a ways off and not coming closer. I worked my way closer and he answered my cow call. He was now only 75 yards out but due to thick bush I couldn't see him. He would bugle at my cow calls but not come. He was calling me to him. I turned away from him and bugled behind me with a short scream and some chuckles. All of a sudden a new bull (me) has shown up and is trying to scoop this hot cow (me). Seconds later he came crashing in, I could of killed him if he walked through an opening big enough to count six points, but unfortunately he was in a spruce thicket. He didn't see any elk (me) so he turned and left, I was able to sneak within approx 50 yards of him a few times using the cow call/bull squeel facing away, when the wind switched and he took off. I sat down and within a minute had a different bull elk dead on the ground that snuck in the back door to see what was going on. If I was just cow calling that morning I don't think I would of had any encounter, let alone an elk to pack out

tb

hunter1947
01-19-2016, 06:04 AM
Myself I cow call with the reed most of the time I brought way more bulls in using the cow call method remember that the bulls are looking for
one thing in the rut and that's cows not bulls..

My experience on hunting elk over the years are that many hunter scare many of bulls away by using a bugle if they had been using a cow
call they would of had more success on their hunt.

What I do I use the bugle for location and when I hear a elk bugle I try to identify that this bugle was that of an elk and not a hunter after knowing
it was a elk calling I then make a game plan on what will be the best thing to use my bugle or reed caller my experiences over the years tell me what
I should use..

If you are dealing with a hot bull a satellite bull he might come in a running to you as you are bugling to him and then if you're dealing with a herd
bull the bull might gather up his cows and take them into nomans land..

Believe me this has happened many of times to me when using a bugle when calling to elk that's why it's important to know if you're dealing with
a herd bull or not a herd bull..

All and all you have to make a call on what you should do when you hear a bull elk bugle back to you ,,most times like I have said that the reed
diaphragm works the best for me during the elk rut..

Bugle M In
01-19-2016, 11:18 AM
Diaphragms have the best ability to give you a variety of sounds.
That being said, some people find them difficult to use for many reasons.
Power bugle is a good one, but the rubber bands are a pain and don't last long.
Berry's Thunder bugle is a good one, as it incorporates the frame part of the diaphragm at the mouthpiece.
Primo's has been around along time, and they work well, and is almost identical to the first bugle I ever
owned which was the Wayne Carlton Power bugle.
One that I purchased recently was from Bugling Bulls.
Has a unique mouth piece that places pressure onto the Diaphragm to help adjust the pressure on the reed.
I use my mouth calls mostly, especially up close.
But, I have the other call (bugling bull) to reach out farther...so to speak.
Also, to sometimes sound like there is more than one bull in the area etc.
Also, there are some great sounding cow calls, such as from Primos...hyper lip or "imakadabulcrazy" calls.
But again, I purchased one from Bugling Bulls, and I really like the sound "temptress".
Again, just to have a few different sounds of cows.
They all have good potential to get you an elk.
They all have good points and some short comings.
This link will get you started as far as video 's go .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN9Rr8uM5Q4
I remember the first video I watched was made with Larry d jones and wayne carlton....
Been addicted to elk ever since....
good luck, and once you get that first bull calling back at you, you will forever be stuck with "Bull fever"!!

Ferenc
01-19-2016, 12:02 PM
I can remember my first time out for elk and I remember the avid family friend who introduced me to hunting elk.. First thing he said to me when you hear a bull bugle is to do nothing.. He picked up a blade of grass and placed it between the open part of his thumbs and blew softly .. That was the perfect cow call... For some reason every time I hear a bull elk sound off.. I remember that moment and what he told me.

kebes
01-19-2016, 12:38 PM
One useful thing I heard is that the average bull call is something like 3-4 seconds. It's tempting to try and hold the high notes for the long drawn out bugle but it isn't necessary. Another helpful tip is to 'talk' through the call. You can add a 'growl' at the beginning by saying 'errr'.

Other than that, listen to elk bugle on YouTube and then practice practice practice. Reeds take a while to get good with but they're pretty useful. I like to combine it with a hoochie to make it sound like a herd.

Good luck!

7mmWSM
01-20-2016, 09:57 AM
Thanks for all the tips guys, that should get me started!

todbartell
01-20-2016, 03:06 PM
One useful thing I heard is that the average bull call is something like 3-4 seconds. It's tempting to try and hold the high notes for the long drawn out bugle but it isn't necessary

for location bugles I will often hold the high note for a couple seconds longer then 'normal' if you're trying to reach out a long ways. Many times over the years you just catch the tail end of a bugle from a bull due to distance

kebes
01-20-2016, 03:12 PM
for location bugles I will often hold the high note for a couple seconds longer then 'normal' if you're trying to reach out a long ways. Many times over the years you just catch the tail end of a bugle from a bull due to distance

There's certainly a time and a place for it... I have had a tendency of making every bugle long and drawn out which isn't always necessary.

J_T
01-20-2016, 04:36 PM
When you go in to an area you have to pay attention to the signature of the bulls in the area. I think you have to sound like one of them. That means mixing it up until they accept you and will talk to you. Listen first.

The past couple of years my bugle was different, starting right with the long high whistle and holding it. Or sometimes in close, no whistle at all. Just raking and chuckling.

Case in point, I was out with a buddy and he was doing all the calling with his power bugle. We finally agreed to switch it up. I called with my bugle and with the first call we had a mature bull lite up within 100 yards.

Vossie
02-12-2016, 09:21 PM
This is good advice, you need to know if it is a herd bull or not. One thing I also want to add from my experience is that which one or what doesn't matter. I like the hootchie moma but find it quiet, I have the cowgirl, she is a real screamer, can get a bulls attention on an opposing mountain side with her but switch to the hootchie when they are close. Also have called a bull in just by whistling. When I bought my primo's kit it came with a video, I must have watched it a 100 times, even let some bugles off here in Langley. I didn't think it was going to work, in fact I thought it was a bunch of BS, till that first bull screamed back, now I can hardly live without it. good luck.

Big Mac
02-12-2016, 10:07 PM
I will have booth at the tradex 456 Mar if your at the show shake rattle and paddle is the booth we can go over lots of good things that work for bagging elk

Elkhound
02-13-2016, 09:21 AM
I would love to help you out but considering my elk success I clearly have no clue what I am doing

Bugle M In
02-13-2016, 02:19 PM
I would love to help you out but considering my elk success I clearly have no clue what I am doing

Don't worry...the past few years have been odd...IMO
Areas that had elk, suddenly are a ghost town, and others finding them in odd places that they are not usually in.
Wolves, other predators, dry summers, new burns, areas covered in windfall and past flooding's .. who knows why some
typically great areas are no longer that great???? but something has changed for some of us who used to good success.
Just saying, your not alone.

Moose63
02-13-2016, 08:39 PM
Met a guy who I consider an "Elk Whisperer" who has no problem calling in Elk. But, he admits it took him sixteen years before he got his first elk.