PDA

View Full Version : selling mounts...

BCHunterFSJ
01-18-2016, 11:49 AM
I have 2 old mounts that I would like to sell. They are a black bear and a deer head that I harvested in Quebec over 25 years ago.
Is it legal to do so? Are there any special requirements?
I placed these on Kijiji and got a reply from a lady who said that her husband had done the same and had a visit from fish and wildlife and got an official warning and would be fined the next time.
Should I remove my ads ASAP???

wideopenthrottle
01-18-2016, 11:55 AM
not likely you still have your cancelled license(s) from 25 years ago eh?

bc_buckshot
You should be okay with you still have your original tags or paper that claims there yours. In the past I have sold bear hides and other to people and got clarification from C.O that if I have document then shouldn't be a issue. Plus your deer and bear mounts are already been processed. Its not like there still raw

300H&H
I have bought and sold deer mounts before with no problems.
If you have your original canceled tag that would prove you have proper ownership then there should be no need for concern.
If you want to have a definitive answer, just call the wildlife branch.

Dannybuoy
01-18-2016, 11:59 AM
I believe if you have the cancelled tags you are OK . Its the same as selling antlers (not sheds ) nothing required to sell sheds . I sold some antlers some years ago and just had to sign a form stating what years I had harvested the deer and that it was done legally . If you dont have the cancelled tags , you may have to do that .
Just phone the CO would be best .

BCHunterFSJ
01-18-2016, 12:45 PM
Unfortunately I do not have any 25 year old cancelled tags from Quebec...

Gateholio
01-18-2016, 01:25 PM
I wouldn't even worry about that. Include a letter with the sale with your name and that they were legally killed in Quebec in 1990...

Xenomorph
01-18-2016, 01:42 PM
I wouldn't even worry about that. Include a letter with the sale with your name and that they were legally killed in Quebec in 1990...

I think BC charges a royalty fee as well for the sale of hide. Not sure if it would apply here (QC kill) but better check?

Ron.C
01-18-2016, 02:04 PM
Why not just call your local CO and tell him what you wish to do and get their feedback.

okas
01-18-2016, 04:26 PM
the CO will pick them up and sell them and keep the $$$ grizz and sheep they do not like as trophy stuff and want something but seldom get it as cash low bill of sale and in the home .. exporting paper time .

BCHunterFSJ
01-18-2016, 04:26 PM
Have contacted local CO. Need to get a bunch of permits and affadavits. Until then was told I should take my ads off the web.
Thanks for all your responses...

Daybreak
01-18-2016, 05:22 PM
BCHunterFSJ, do you know if there is any cost associated with obtaining the required paperwork?

Cyrus
01-18-2016, 05:29 PM
I had to pay $60 to keep a big whitetail rack (deer I had been hunting for the last 3 years) which I found dead. Broke my heart but at least I have a souvenir and in 10 yrs when no one remembers I can say I shot it...lol

Dannybuoy
01-18-2016, 05:35 PM
The permit that I got from the CO`s to sell deer racks was free . I had to take them to his office and sign the permit that said I had legally shot them and in what years approx .
If I recall there were 20+ .... 1 permit easy peasy .

boxhitch
01-18-2016, 05:40 PM
Value of 25 y.o. mounts ? They must be real stompers

Daybreak
01-18-2016, 05:44 PM
I had to pay $60 to keep a big whitetail rack (deer I had been hunting for the last 3 years) which I found dead. Broke my heart but at least I have a souvenir and in 10 yrs when no one remembers I can say I shot it...lol

So just to clarify a few things... If you find the antlers still attached to the skull it's considered a "rack" and you had pay to keep it?
If you find antlers separate from the skull they are sheds and no paperwork required?

If this is the case it seems like a huge grab if you pay $15 for a tag to shoot the antlered animal but are billed $60 for one you found already dead.

Cyrus
01-18-2016, 07:15 PM
So just to clarify a few things... If you find the antlers still attached to the skull it's considered a "rack" and you had pay to keep it?
If you find antlers separate from the skull they are sheds and no paperwork required?

If this is the case it seems like a huge grab if you pay $15 for a tag to shoot the antlered animal but are billed $60 for one you found already dead.

yep but I still wanted to cut my tag on one I actually shot...which didn't happen. I guess I could of cut my tag, took the stank meat, made jerky and gave it away...It was because it was still attached. I reported it to the CO, got the application for display and paid the bucks and got a certificate to legally posses. I made my first euro mount which turned out awesome so a good practice exercise for next year.

dakoda62
01-18-2016, 07:17 PM
One of the reasons i have never tossed a licence, have a stack of them starting early 80's

hunter1947
01-18-2016, 07:40 PM
Call the local CO within your area you can't go wrong by giving them a call they will tell you what you can or can't do..

buckshot
01-19-2016, 05:26 PM
Just about every antique store around here has antique mounts, racks or hides for sale. Don't see a problem with selling your own trophies. Don't over think everything!

BCHunterFSJ
01-21-2016, 09:55 AM
BCHunterFSJ, do you know if there is any cost associated with obtaining the required paperwork?

Yes, looks like it'll cost me around $40.
Might just forget the whole thing...

Daybreak
01-21-2016, 10:02 AM
Yes, looks like it'll cost me around $40.
Might just forget the whole thing...

Thanks for sharing the knowledge. Good to know and another reason to keep all original tags, licences ect.

okas
01-21-2016, 01:49 PM
Just about every antique store around here has antique mounts, racks or hides for sale. Don't see a problem with selling your own trophies. Don't over think everything!
:-P how true ha ha if something goes wrong you just say REALLY I HAD NO IDEA sooooo sorry