View Full Version : PAL card expiration

bosch
01-17-2016, 03:37 PM
Not sure if anybody else has experienced this but noticed last May that my PAL was about to expire in August 2015 so I filed for a new card hoping I would get it before the 2015 fall season. I was fortunate (so I thought) to recieve the new application excepted but did not recieve my picture ID. Instead I was given a paper with my new date of expiration and I called and was told I was okay to carry my firearm as long as I had my old PAL card and the piece of paper. I recently bought a new rifle from Cabelas and when asked for my PAL I gave them the piece of paper and my old PAL ID which they allowed the transaction to happen but suggested I call them again as I still had not received a new card. I called them(RCMP) and found out I was illegally hunting and was lucky I never ran into a CO as I could have had my gun confiscated. I told them I just purchased a new firearm and was told Cabelas was in the wrong to sell it to me. I asked why I had'nt recieved a new card and there records showed one was sent and was'nt their problem. As it is my girlfriend has her restricted/non-restricted which allows us to have firearms in our posession but if she did'nt the RCMP could confiscate our firearms. Long story short my new ID is on it's way hopefully but was wondering if anyone else was in the same predictment and if so don't believe that just having the piece of paper will be enough to allow you to carry a firearm.

Lastcar
01-17-2016, 04:52 PM
I am no lawyer, nor play one on TV...so take this for what it is worth.

Thankfully you had a GF who had a PAL so the firearms were legally being stored. Saved you a ton of hassle.

Someone at Silvercore told me if at anytime a person finds themselves potentially or absolutely in violation of storage laws relating to PAL issues one should get them off to someone with a PAL ASAP. Naturally asking them to take care of transport as well. Once things are resolved bring em home again.

I am always paranoid of violating any portion of the Firearms Act and requirements around my PAL.

This year I was on a 3 day backcountry hunt and as I normally do I throw my PAL, a credit card and some cash into a small secure pocket of whichever pants I am wearing.

Got home and put the cards back in my wallet. Put my credit card in first and then put my Safe Boaters card in second...PAL still in the wallet. Well done jackass.

That'd have been a fun story to tell like to deaf ears if I had to produce my PAL and whipped out a Safe Boaters card.

Boat...gun...same thing really. I should have brought a life vest to at least comply with the card I brought.

Wasn't overly pleased with myself on that one. Sloppy but a good lesson.

One of the guys at Silvercore told me once to keep a copy of my PAL and any ATTs in all my cases. Fold it up and stick to the case somewhere it won't get messed up. By no means a replacement, but at least if you screw up like I did you can show a copy and hopefully come across as someone who seems to care about being compliant. Said he had never had to test it, but had some LE folks say it'd certainly improve the situation in their eyes. Naturally each LE officer will have a different take.

Of course the ATT thing is not relevant now.

I've heard a few people mention that COs don't seem to bother asking for the PAL at their checks very often. They ask questions about safe transport etc. and if is good they leave it at that.

I think I read it on here. By no mean want to test it.

I could see it I guess. They are there to ensure people are hunting safely and within the law in regards to harvest.

It could be suggested a PAL doesn't impact safety. I am sure there are lots of folks who took the firearm course who have terrible gun safety skills in the field.

I am sure there are lots of folks pre firearm safety course who have impeccable gun safety skills in the field.

I would guess it is pain in the ass for them to end up having to deal with a lack of PAL as far as desk time and potentially court time. Maybe they prefer to stick to focussing on wildlife and environmental infractions.

I've always taken this with a grain of salt. But I suppose for days when a guy screws up like I did it'd be nice if this is the case.

Running into a mountie I'd assume things would go differently. But most certainly your guns would end up stored securely and safely.

hunter1947
01-18-2016, 02:29 AM
Waiting for 8 months is bull to get back your pal renewal is a crock of sh%t but what more can you expect coming from the government
maney of times they the government with whatever a person deals with them there are s%rew ups Brian let us know when you get your
pal in the mail,,,was a good thing you were hunting with me on your hunt last year ;) ..

bosch
01-18-2016, 07:10 AM
I am no lawyer, nor play one on TV...so take this for what it is worth.

Thankfully you had a GF who had a PAL so the firearms were legally being stored. Saved you a ton of hassle.

Someone at Silvercore told me if at anytime a person finds themselves potentially or absolutely in violation of storage laws relating to PAL issues one should get them off to someone with a PAL ASAP. Naturally asking them to take care of transport as well. Once things are resolved bring em home again.

I am always paranoid of violating any portion of the Firearms Act and requirements around my PAL.

This year I was on a 3 day backcountry hunt and as I normally do I throw my PAL, a credit card and some cash into a small secure pocket of whichever pants I am wearing.

Got home and put the cards back in my wallet. Put my credit card in first and then put my Safe Boaters card in second...PAL still in the wallet. Well done jackass.

That'd have been a fun story to tell like to deaf ears if I had to produce my PAL and whipped out a Safe Boaters card.

Boat...gun...same thing really. I should have brought a life vest to at least comply with the card I brought.

Wasn't overly pleased with myself on that one. Sloppy but a good lesson.

One of the guys at Silvercore told me once to keep a copy of my PAL and any ATTs in all my cases. Fold it up and stick to the case somewhere it won't get messed up. By no means a replacement, but at least if you screw up like I did you can show a copy and hopefully come across as someone who seems to care about being compliant. Said he had never had to test it, but had some LE folks say it'd certainly improve the situation in their eyes. Naturally each LE officer will have a different take.

Of course the ATT thing is not relevant now.

I've heard a few people mention that COs don't seem to bother asking for the PAL at their checks very often. They ask questions about safe transport etc. and if is good they leave it at that.

I think I read it on here. By no mean want to test it.

I could see it I guess. They are there to ensure people are hunting safely and within the law in regards to harvest.

It could be suggested a PAL doesn't impact safety. I am sure there are lots of folks who took the firearm course who have terrible gun safety skills in the field.

I am sure there are lots of folks pre firearm safety course who have impeccable gun safety skills in the field.

I would guess it is pain in the ass for them to end up having to deal with a lack of PAL as far as desk time and potentially court time. Maybe they prefer to stick to focussing on wildlife and environmental infractions.

I've always taken this with a grain of salt. But I suppose for days when a guy screws up like I did it'd be nice if this is the case.

Running into a mountie I'd assume things would go differently. But most certainly your guns would end up stored securely and safely.
You bring up a very good tip in keeping a copy of the Pal in your guncase, I will do this from now on as it may be just enough to save your ass.

bosch
01-18-2016, 07:11 AM
Waiting for 8 months is bull to get back your pal renewal is a crock of sh%t but what more can you expect coming from the government
maney of times they the government with whatever a person deals with them there are s%rew ups Brian let us know when you get your
pal in the mail,,,was a good thing you were hunting with me on your hunt last year ;) ..Will let you know when it finally shows up Wayne.

bang flop
01-18-2016, 09:26 AM
I was a dumb a$$ and let my PAL expire. Had to re-apply. My application was received July 10, went chief firearms office by Aug 10. I still don't have it. I called every two weeks untill the end of hunting season... same story, "still with CFO".

Finally called again the other day and they said it should be in the mail and I should have it with in 2 weeks.

Crock o $h!t is right. They say it should take 90 days. This made hunting on my own difficult this year... and I'm inconvenienced by having to store my guns at a friend's house.

Moral of story... don't let it expire... pain in the a$$.

hntcrazy
01-18-2016, 09:28 AM
I was told by firearms officer - hunting license only required during hunting. No pal has to be carried is this incorrect?

Ferenc
01-18-2016, 09:48 AM
You are correct.. When hunting you need to carry your hunting license.. The pal.. I once was checked out in the field and the co never asked for my pal... Also coming down just before a roadblock before Prince George I was also checked by the RCMP showed them my hunting license .. he asked what had I been doing and where I was headed.. He sent me over to the co area and in talks with them they said... Sometimes you run into a prick... Then you ask for everything... Said we can ask for your hunting license.. But if your a prick we'll get the RCMP over and you had better have your pal ready... So it's with me ...the pal.. But I never carry it out in the field just my hunting license

TPK
01-18-2016, 02:33 PM
I was told by firearms officer - hunting license only required during hunting. No pal has to be carried is this incorrect?

People can hunt without a firearms license .. they just need to have someone with a firearms license beside them the whole time .. Owning a firearm in Canada is against the law (true statement) BUT if you have a firearms license you won't be charged or have your property seized. If hunting .. or doing ANYTHING with a firearm(s) someone has to have a valid PAL otherwise how are you legally transporting and storing your firearm?? Just because you are not asked for it doesn't mean you shouldn't have it, YES it's required when you're hunting or you need to have someone with you that has one .. either or ..your call.

itsy bitsy xj
01-18-2016, 02:49 PM
People can hunt without a firearms license .. they just need to have someone with a firearms license beside them the whole time .. Owning a firearm in Canada is against the law (true statement) BUT if you have a firearms license you won't be charged or have your property seized. If hunting .. or doing ANYTHING with a firearm(s) someone has to have a valid PAL otherwise how are you legally transporting and storing your firearm?? Just because you are not asked for it doesn't mean you shouldn't have it, YES it's required when you're hunting or you need to have someone with you that has one .. either or ..your call.

Exactly someone in your group must have a PAL

landphil
01-18-2016, 03:04 PM
You do not need a PAL or be under the supervision of someone with a PAL to hunt. Bow hunting for example.

If you are going to hunt with a firearm, then yes, the above statements ring true.

Buckmeister
01-18-2016, 03:51 PM
Yikes, mine expires in August. Guess I better get on it now in case it's a long wait hassle.

wideopenthrottle
01-18-2016, 03:54 PM
I have heard if you renew on line, it is way quicker

Frango
01-18-2016, 04:15 PM
Yikes, mine expires in August. Guess I better get on it now in case it's a long wait hassle.
Do it online got mine in less than a week.

Ferenc
01-18-2016, 06:26 PM
You do not need a PAL or be under the supervision of someone with a PAL to hunt. Bow hunting for example.

If you are going to hunt with a firearm, then yes, the above statements ring true.
Good point... Another is hunting with a firearm made before 1898.. Flintlock comes to mind.

bosch
01-26-2016, 04:17 PM
Finally got it in the mail...all good!

tadpole
01-26-2016, 09:02 PM
Now days it usually expires on person birthday . I just reapplied on line for mine. It is very convenient and fast. One has to have a digital picture when applying on line, so ask your photographer to email you digital form of the photo of you.

Saskhunter
01-26-2016, 10:07 PM
Now days it usually expires on person birthday . I just reapplied on line for mine. It is very convenient and fast. One has to have a digital picture when applying on line, so ask your photographer to email you digital form of the photo of you.

mine is set to expire in late march I better get on it. Thanks to all who posted here, great info. Online application and a digital photo, doesn't get better than that!!!!

bosch
01-27-2016, 03:32 PM
mine is set to expire in late march I better get on it. Thanks to all who posted here, great info. Online application and a digital photo, doesn't get better than that!!!!
Ditto to all, good info session