PDA

View Full Version : Best backpacking synthetic sleeping bags.

SR80
01-16-2016, 10:46 PM
What's everyone using for synthetic sleeping bags for mountain hunts in northern BC, aug-late Sept. Probably looking for a -10 bag. I have a big Agnes down tek bag but I get clammy inside it and get cold pretty easily. It feels like the bag isn't breathing or something. It's one of the bags with no insulation on the bottom (lost ranger) I use a thermorest neo air pad. I was also thinking that upgrading my pad to something with more R value would help, but I can't see that helping with the clamminess. Thanks in advance.

Blockcaver
01-17-2016, 08:06 AM
Mt Hardware Ultralimina is a decent bag. No issues with the -9 version I have sleeping on a Neoair ultralight.

Useyourfeet
01-17-2016, 08:21 AM
I know you said synthetic but after years and years of synthetic sleeping bags and being cold I tried an waterproof down quilt this year from enlightened equipment. Very light, much warmer than I had been in the past and as simple as can be. I have tried to make it wet enough that it won't insulate and haven't been able to do it. I suppose if you fell into the water and it wasn't in a dry bag perhaps.

Buck
01-17-2016, 08:28 AM
maybe a liner made of fleece would help with the clammy feeling

boxhitch
01-17-2016, 08:35 AM
-10 bag doesn't cut it for me anymore after August , just too many storms and cold nights. When your bag is your last refuge for warmth, I'd take the extra pound or two of a -20 bag.
BA are good , not sure what your clamminess may be unless the bag is real dirty. Have you tried a liner ? cotton or silk

Stew
01-17-2016, 09:15 AM
Save your money and buy an Integral designs bag liner.
They squish down to the size of an apple. With a liner your -10 bag will be a -12 -13 bag.

Lastcar
01-17-2016, 10:46 AM
I know you said synthetic but after years and years of synthetic sleeping bags and being cold I tried an waterproof down quilt this year from enlightened equipment. Very light, much warmer than I had been in the past and as simple as can be. I have tried to make it wet enough that it won't insulate and haven't been able to do it. I suppose if you fell into the water and it wasn't in a dry bag perhaps.

This with a titanium wood stove and you are all set.

Oh and a hunting partner that wakes up first to light the fire.

That last part is key.

This is my perfect setup.

Wait, you already knew that.

Bear Brawler
01-17-2016, 11:20 AM
I have a Taiga -30 bag, Waterproof shell, under 5 pounds if believe. I've only used it on the fly in sheep hunt late august and early sept, I'm a chilly sleeper, this bag rocks! I went with the Taiga after many on here pointed me that way.

okas
01-18-2016, 12:35 AM
good light bag and a bivy sack the bivy never leaves my day pack

Trekker
01-18-2016, 05:49 AM
Havent tried it but the slik bag by kifaru looks pretty cool, I like the idea of the center zip.

SR80
01-18-2016, 07:51 AM
Yeah I might try a good bag liner first, I like the roominess of my BA bag, and its compacts nice and small. The slick bags looks awesome too, I was talking to aron about them yesterday. I dunno about the center zip though, when I am warm I like to hang a leg out of the bag.

B.C.Boy(100%)
01-18-2016, 10:04 AM
Northface 'Cat's Meow' -7C has been working wonders for me for ten years now.
Woke up one late August morning way up high on the plateaus above the Klappan to find a puddle between my shins from a leaky tent, the outer layer of the yet me feet were nice and dry and best of all warm.
I have used it in -20C weather with a Kelty fleece liner, and wore a pair of thermal long johns and I was toasty for all of those nights.
I have been thoroughly impressed with this product that when it comes time to replace, it'll be the same again.

nedarb2
01-18-2016, 02:43 PM
kuiu with waterproof down. made for this

srupp
01-19-2016, 12:13 PM
Hnm synthetic..not down.
Steven