PDA

View Full Version : Spotting Scope

Haddy
01-14-2016, 09:59 PM
I've been looking for a new spotter to replace an old leupold I sold. I plan on doing some sheep and goat hunting and it will be used for blacktail hunting on the coast as well. I've narrowed it down to either a kowa or a swarovski. Either the kowa 883 prominar or the swarovski sts 65 hd. My thought is the 65 will be a bit better for hiking and packing as it is a bit smaller and lighter. Also think the 88mm lense might be a bit big for day hikes for blacktail.

Any input welcome even if it's on a different brand or size.
Thanks

TARCHER
01-14-2016, 10:01 PM
88 mm is getting up there

Fred1
01-14-2016, 10:01 PM
I bought the Swaro. Love it!

TARCHER
01-14-2016, 10:05 PM
I actually posted my swaro sts 65 for sale last night. Spent the last 2 hrs replying to fellas

Haddy
01-14-2016, 10:48 PM
Sold I gather?

srupp
01-14-2016, 10:55 PM
Get ats..angled..20x...60x zoom..ensure it is HD.GOOD TO GO

BUDDY HAS one also for sale but he is playing I Philipeans..or maybe already in uong kong..

Buy once cry once..
Srupp

todbartell
01-14-2016, 11:05 PM
I'd go 65mm for packing

Haddy
01-15-2016, 04:42 PM
Think I'm going to go with the 66mm kowa prominar xd with a 20-60× eyepiece. About half the price of the swarovski 65 and reviews are really good. Thanks for the help I'll post an update once I get it and try it out.

srupp
01-15-2016, 07:02 PM
In optics look before you buy. Look through both..price is absolutley the worst factor..and you will never know..what uou missed..
$2500 fly in hunt..30 kms hiking from lake with 55 pound pack..then to gind your sheep..THE sheep of a life time.
This will last a lifetime..buy once cry once..enjoy for lifetime.
Goodluck
Steven

Once im home from elk hunt.and then from guiding for wolves..you are welcome to come try the Swarovski 65 hd angled scope

Hmm imo try before you buy...

Haddy
01-15-2016, 07:07 PM
Appreciate the tips. I'm heading down to Canadian Telescopes this week to check out both the swarovski and the kowa. Buddy has the kowa 883 and says it's unreal but I'll be looking through both. Luckily down here on the wet coast it's always low light and cloudy so should get a decent review of both before I buy.

srupp
01-15-2016, 07:43 PM
Hmm if you go Swaro 65..I know someone that has one..he was tslking selling it ?...might bring it reLly close in price?
Enjoy your spotting scope look..see..take your time..there will be many 10 hour days peering through this item..shooting 1 second..lol

Good luck

Steven

okas
01-15-2016, 11:47 PM
go for a used Swaro all so do not worry about HD as with rain and nature 90 percent of the time out there it does not matter in the mountain

but i am blind

The Hermit
01-16-2016, 09:57 AM
Don't overlook the Kowa 770 series. It is WAY better than the 660 XD series (night and day). It is much smaller and less expensive than the 880 series without much loss of optical quality. The 770 is my choice as one of the very best scopes on the market at any price point.

But as I said in the PM, at today's prices given the Can/US exchange, I'd be looking hard at a used Swaro 65 before considering the Kowa 660.

newfie bullet
06-09-2016, 03:53 PM
I have the Kowa 883 with the 1.6 extender and absolutely love it........cant fathom Swaro,even the 95, being that much more impressive.

mod7rem
06-09-2016, 09:42 PM
Ive been using a 663 kowa prominar for 5+ years now with no regrets. When I was looking for a new scope I did as much research as I could and the prominar always has excellent performance reviews. I lent it to a friend of mine, he used it for a week of hunting side by side with his friend that had a swarovski for comparison. Over the week they traded back and forth in different conditions and agreed they couldnt find any obvious optical differences. They did have ergonomic preferences though, one was angled the other straight. I think the prominar 883 would be an unfair comparison to the smaller swarovski, not really apples to apples. I think the big Kowa is considered the gold standard in its class. A friend of mine picked up a used kowa prominar 773 for a great price and its not that much bigger than my 663. A great compromise.

VLD43
06-09-2016, 09:51 PM
Haddy
PM sent. Just bought the SWARO 65 back east. The new 25 x 50 eyepiece is superior to the old 20 x 60

Nolan1973
06-19-2016, 06:48 AM
Give Omar at Precision Optics in Quesnel a call. I got a great deal on the Nightforce TS80 its a fixed 20-60X80. A cpl hun cheaper than everywhere else that I looked. He seems to have a surprisingly large selection of spotters top 5 etc. Look at the meopta a very good scope that is over looked. As Srupp says buy once. Get the best you can afford. ALso thru chatting with him, i come to realise after spending over 1200 for a bag due to the exchange rate, he stocks Kifaru Bags as well (if your looking). Another surprise. Anyway I sold my Swaro to get the ts80. IMO better bit less money but it is heavy for packing. Anyway good luck. .enjoy you scope what ever you decide

Boner
07-04-2016, 09:58 PM
I visited Omer today on my drive down to work and bought a swaro ats 65. What a nice guy. He really knows his stuff. No pressure, I went in knowing what I wanted, and he told me pros and cons of the big three, some stuff that I didn't even think about before. A positive experience for sure. A great selection of high end optics. I spent almost an hour there looking at glass.

I just finished looking at goats on three different mountains sitting at a patio table in the back yard. We can't believe the clarity of this unit. I can tell right now I'll never second guess my choice. I won't be upgrading. Buy once is right.