PDA

View Full Version : Chilliwack - RAPP - People shooting 21 minutes past legal light

Gone_Fishin_
01-14-2016, 10:14 AM
Just wondering if anyone else hears the people over by lickman-chilliwack mountain area shooting 21 minutes past legal light yesterday evening?

Called RAPP and reported twice now this week. Unfortunately i only hear it when im out with my dog after work and can't pin point the exact location. I can clearly hear them from my house in Sardis and while out with the dog by Watcom school.

If anyone on here lives in that area and can help pin point the location of these a**hats please call them in. I heard it numerous times this season and its completely unacceptable in my mind. Yesterday last shot i heard was at 5:29. Pitch black out and dont even know how you would see down your barrel. Sunset was at 4:38 so 5:08 would have been it. They have been extending their shoot more and more, first few times was 5 minutes, then 8, then 12, then 15 and now over 20 minutes !!

There are multiple shooters as i heard 7 shots at one point. Or maybe someone has their plug removed and extension tube in seemings how they dont understand the 30 minute rule either....

Pisses me right off that people cant follow simple rules... hopefully a CO will respond if we can find out the field their hunting in and get them before the season ends.

And if your on this site i hope you read this...

TPK
01-14-2016, 11:22 AM
If they aren't hunting they aren't breaking any laws. Why would you assume it's asshats that are hunting past legal light vs some guys target shooting?

jessonml
01-14-2016, 11:31 AM
Pretty easy assumption to make in my mind. As much as I like busting some clays in the dark, with 2 of my buddies shooting at the same clay... come on man.

jessonml
01-14-2016, 11:35 AM
What good would the RAPP line be if everyone assumed very unlikely scenarios, like you state, that would prevent a call? It would be up to the CO's to investigate.

TPK
01-14-2016, 11:42 AM
Pretty easy assumption to make in my mind. As much as I like busting some clays in the dark, with 2 of my buddies shooting at the same clay... come on man.
If there's enough light to hunt, there is enough to shoot clays or the like. Are they in an area that is primarily hunting? Just asking why the assumption they are hunting?

Big Hoss
01-14-2016, 01:12 PM
I live in the area and there are quite a few duck hunters around the local fields. Normally the shooting stops within a couple minutes of legal light. but I've also heard what sounds an awful lot like shot gun at 7:00 at night recently not sure what they would be shooting at that late maybe just scaring coyotes away from livestock

Jack Russell
01-14-2016, 01:19 PM
I hear shotguns going off way too early in the morning (dark) and far too late in the day(dark) on the Fraser river, regularly, during winter.

Gone_Fishin_
01-14-2016, 01:22 PM
They are hunting waterfowl. No doubt in my mind or i would not have posted/called it in. I know the rough area they are in and they hunt there on the weekends as well as i hear them at first light.

Unless your up at 7:00am to shoot clays and then wait until 4:50pm to start shooting again then likely not target shooting.

TPK; The area is 99% hunting unless you got permission to go shoot clays in a farmers field for some strange reason...

Gone_Fishin_
01-14-2016, 01:25 PM
I hear shotguns going off way too early in the morning (dark) and far too late in the day(dark) on the Fraser river, regularly, during winter.

These are likely hunters as well; who do you know goes to the river to shoot guns at first light unless you are hunting? I hunt the Fraser lots for waterfowl and hear guys all the time shooting well before and after legal light. I approaced one group and asked if they knew what time sunset was last year; their repsponse " we were just checking our guns for tomrrow morning " i just laughed and called them in as well.

Gone_Fishin_
01-14-2016, 01:32 PM
If they aren't hunting they aren't breaking any laws. Why would you assume it's asshats that are hunting past legal light vs some guys target shooting?

When you hear 7 quick shots, with a follow up 30 seconds later (guessing a cripple on the ground) you can assume they are not shooting at clays... it doesnt take another duck hunter to know what their doing over there.

the first 15 minutes and last 15 minutes is what us guys in this waterfowl section wait for when were out. How many times have you watched ducks either on the groud already in your dekes or passing within yards to look at your phone and counting down the seconds until you can shoot? or in the evening you call it at legal time and still have flocks coming in almost landin gon you while packing up dekes.

We all know the first 15 and last 15 are the best, when you dont hear a single shot all afternoon then all of a sudden a bunch separated by a few minutes a shoot. You know exactly what is going on, someone is waterfowl hunting... doesnt take a genious to figure that one out.

Rayne
01-14-2016, 11:24 PM
I live in the area and I know my neighbour has shot some coyotes attacking farm animals recently. He's quite content shooting the animal till it stops moving so might not be duck hunters

gmachine19
01-15-2016, 12:12 AM
Isn't there a range around that area? i always hear gunshots when I fish lickman...

Gone_Fishin_
01-15-2016, 08:24 AM
Isn't there a range around that area? i always hear gunshots when I fish lickman...

I believe your thinking the RCMP training center on the base. Those are hand guns, not shotguns in a farmers field at dark.

Gone_Fishin_
01-15-2016, 08:26 AM
I live in the area and I know my neighbour has shot some coyotes attacking farm animals recently. He's quite content shooting the animal till it stops moving so might not be duck hunters

I can see this if it was a few shots in a row then quiet, but unless a coyote keeps coming back every few minutes to be shot at again by a group of guys then i highly doubt thats whats going on... as well if it was this then there are multiple shooters blasting at coyotes as shots can be heard overlapping.

Gone_Fishin_
01-15-2016, 08:33 AM
Why are half the comments here trying to say it could be something else? dont assume... it might be this or that or this... like come on. Anyone with a half a brain who hunts knows exactly what the heck the shots are from.

I put up a post about a 99% chance that people are doing something illegal. Then everyone jumps on me for "assuming" they are hunting when there maybe "other" reasons they are shooting.

If your out hunting and i come across someone looking into your truck, scoping out your quad or lurking around your wall tent. Should i let you know? or maybe assume there is other possibilities and their just admiring it and wanted to have a look and continue on my way...

Foxton Gundogs
01-15-2016, 09:15 AM
Really guys get off the pot, late early waterfowl shooting is a common problem in the LML/Island. There have been many threads about it, quit trying to "rationalize" it with implausible scenarios. The OP is on the money with his "assumption" and acted correctly by reporting it, he shouldn't have to be justifying it. If we can't police ourselves then we should be policing each other or we will be loosing our hunting rights one by one.

Gone_Fishin_
01-15-2016, 09:57 AM
Exactly ^^^^^

Thanks Foxton. Post was meant for others to be aware of what this group of people are doing and report if they hear or see it. The more calls into RAPP the more chance something will happen.

Wasnt meant to be a debate on if someone was actually hunting or not, was to inform people of illegal activites and to help by REPORTING if they see or hear it.

Cheers,

01-15-2016, 10:00 AM
Wait till closing day the 22nd. Last day of ducks ........ Those type really stretch it out into the night. Those type wreck it for all.

Gone_Fishin_
01-15-2016, 10:10 AM
Yesterday went out for last light with a buddy, being clear skies already expected for it to be slow but the water in our field finally melted so couldnt pass up a shoot when were only a week away from closing.

Of course clear skies and bright sun... 5:05 here comes a single, boom down. 5:07 here comes another single, boom down. 5:08... come on ducks !!! 5:09 see a large flock headed our way.. 5:10... thats it boys. Unload the guns and they come in swarms... packing up the decoys and there landing beside us, flaring, can hear constant whistle from wings, mallards quacking, widgeons whistling, easily enough light for another 15. But law says 30 minutes... my buddy who is new to duck hunting couldnt help from getting mad and looking up. I've taught myself to not even look up anymore when done. lol

TPK
01-15-2016, 11:03 AM
....I put up a post about a 99% chance that people are doing something illegal. Then everyone jumps on me for "assuming" they are hunting when there maybe "other" reasons they are shooting.

My concern was if you were not considering other things that could be going on, you could wasting a CO's time. At the end of the day I think we all agree that if in doubt, report it and let the CO's figure it out.

Sorry if you feel you have been unduly harassed here, but honestly I don't see it. You posted your assumption and were simply asked why you made that assumption. No one is calling you out and giving you a hard time, toughen up man :-P, just questions as to why you made that assumption. You gave more information regarding the area and times etc. and it sure looks like you're right. I see no problem with the questions that were (and should be) asked.

As to your comparison to someone possibly casing your camp site or vehicle .. apples and oranges.

Sofa King
01-15-2016, 11:28 AM
and isnt shooting at a coyote...."hunting"?
he would still be hunting after dark, no?

Gone_Fishin_
01-15-2016, 11:30 AM
Sorry if you feel you have been unduly harassed here, but honestly I don't see it. You posted your assumption and were simply asked why you made that assumption. No one is calling you out and giving you a hard time, toughen up man :-P, just questions as to why you made that assumption. You gave more information regarding the area and times etc. and it sure looks like you're right. I see no problem with the questions that were (and should be) asked.

As to your comparison to someone possibly casing your camp site or vehicle .. apples and oranges.

Dont feel like anyone was harrassing me at all, as we all know this is an internet forum where things can be taken out of context or in the wrong way. So no disrespect or wrong intended.

Being an honest person first thing that went through my head before i called RAPP were all other posibilites of what these guys could be doing over there as i myself have been out shooting targets and such before last light. Skeet shooting, having fun, targets, predator control and all the above went through my mind before i dialed that number. Once i put 2 and 2 together, location, times, seasons, sound of shot, how many shots, time between shots was the exact answer for "after legal shooting time"

if i had any doubts to what was going on i wouldnt have posted it on an internet forum for all to see as thats an easy way to get your ass chewed out or put into place right quick. lol

Jetboater
01-15-2016, 11:55 AM
gone fishin I agree with you they are duck hunters, I drive the flats every day on the way home, south parallel between whatcom and sumas river has had a lot of late shooting, although it is reserve land, but a lot of the associated land has had vehicles parked way past shooting light, i watched them shoot 15 minutes past legal a week ago. people saying skeet or coyote are out to lunch, they dont live on the flats or near them, hopefully the cos can follow up but they are pretty busy, mind you I saw a co truck on #5 a few days ago rolling around...

boxhitch
01-15-2016, 11:56 AM
and isnt shooting at a coyote...."hunting"?
he would still be hunting after dark, no?read the regs. Different rules for waterfowl. Trumped by local bylaws of they apply
May be a case of ignorance on the part of the shooters too.

Never knew of such a thing as 'nautical twilight'
http://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/canada/burnaby

TPK
01-15-2016, 12:39 PM
Well let's hope the CO's can catch them and deal with them. As pointed out, their actions will affect others, and not in a good way. We (hunters, anglers, firearms owners) always pay the price for the wrongs of others in the way of loss of opportunity, loss of areas, the list goes on.

This year saw Len (CO from Williams Lake) drive all the way out to our camp SE of Quesnel (likely a two drive for him) to investigate a deer we had hanging .. yes it was two point and we were in the four point season .. but it was a White Tail, not a Mulie, so very legal.

Len had a good chuckle as he stepped out of the vehicle as the "culprit" he was investigating was the father of an up and coming CO!! She was there with her Dad wondering why he (Len) was there .. when Len explained her Dad had been reported we all had a laugh .. though really not that funny ..

She had recently been working with Len and some of the other local CO's and is just waiting for a permanent position to become available. I hear Ryanne will be off on Mat leave again (maybe already is ..) so she should have an opportunity to fill in there .. at least for a while.

The next night had the RCMP there looking for me (a problem at home I needed to attend to). I have to wonder what the other hunters were thinking about our group ... one night the CO is checking us out and the next the RCMP are there .. I'm sure there were lots of assumptions lol ..

Sofa King
01-15-2016, 04:38 PM
read the regs. Different rules for waterfowl. Trumped by local bylaws of they apply
May be a case of ignorance on the part of the shooters too.

Never knew of such a thing as 'nautical twilight'
http://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/canada/burnaby

true.
i was just commenting on the guy saying maybe they weren't hunting, that he knows someone who shoots at coyotes on his property.
i think that would still be classified as hunting, not just shooting a gun.

Rayne
01-15-2016, 04:46 PM
Shooting animals that are attacking livestock isn't hunting and is legal

limit time
01-15-2016, 05:44 PM
Why are half the comments here trying to say it could be something else? dont assume... it might be this or that or this... like come on. Anyone with a half a brain who hunts knows exactly what the heck the shots are from.

I put up a post about a 99% chance that people are doing something illegal. Then everyone jumps on me for "assuming" they are hunting when there maybe "other" reasons they are shooting.

If your out hunting and i come across someone looking into your truck, scoping out your quad or lurking around your wall tent. Should i let you know? or maybe assume there is other possibilities and their just admiring it and wanted to have a look and continue on my way...
Every thing you say would never hold up in court. Because you are also the one "assuming " it's hunters.

Foxton Gundogs
01-15-2016, 06:30 PM
Every thing you say would never hold up in court. Because you are also the one "assuming " it's hunters.

It doesn't have to hold up in court just has to get the COs out there and make some busts like I heard they have been doing in Delta.

fowl language
01-16-2016, 10:38 AM
9 shooting late tickets handed out around Christmas time in delta. I would presume gone fishin would know the sound of a shotgun as compared to a rifle.it is late waterfowl hunting, period. we have some non regulated hunting by my home and it goes on till sometime 9,30 at night. I bet this type of shooting will stop at the end of duck season.

Gone_Fishin_
01-18-2016, 08:42 AM
The post was meant for others to help out and report if they see or hear illegal hunting for waterfowl in the area.

Yes i know the sound of a shotgun, lol. I know what they are doing over there, hence why i reported it and posted so people could help out and report illegal activities as well. Not to debate back and forth on whether it was hunting or not.

But... since my post i have not heard a single late shot from that area. There has been some shooting but nothing past legal time. Maybe the CO's had a word with them, or possibly on this site? could have called it for the year too i guess...

longshot
01-18-2016, 11:06 AM
I have had bad luck with the RAPP line. Watched a guy shoot a swan and they told me "OK we will send someone out Tuesday to investigate"........ bi*** its sunday...

After that I got the local CO's cell number