PDA

View Full Version : HIXON LEH Antlerless Elk 7-8 HELP

chris26262
01-13-2016, 10:42 PM
Hi there, looking for some help with my antlerless elk hunt in mu 7-8. January 15-Feburary 14th. Its private land only. Ive had an add in kijiji for months and months. Tried a thread on HBC months ago. Contacted the Co's and have talked to cattlemens assosiation (they have emailed their memebers). Zero results. Wondering if anyone living up there know s anything else I could try and or have they seen any elk? Ill be heading up anyway to give it a go for a few days. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Drillbit
01-13-2016, 10:51 PM
Hatfields used to hold elk, and I believe was the reason for the draw. (to reduce landowners damage)

He has since sold out and the new owners don't leave anything out for the elk to feed on. They will give permission though if you knock on their door.

I hunted there a few years ago with a buddy that had a tag. Never saw one elk track, but I got a nice wolf. Another buddy got an elk the year before there.

Not great news, but that's how I see that area around Dunkley, pretty bleak for a private land elk.

chris26262
01-13-2016, 11:08 PM
Thank s for the info!

srupp
01-13-2016, 11:31 PM
Those elk travel east from Hixon..and south. .surprising number in the total herd..seen the elk but on crown land..they come out all the way back to the road that hits Moorehead.i believe the last number was 600.
Good luck.
Steven

swampthing
01-14-2016, 05:38 PM
There is a pullout/garbage can about 5km south of Hixon on the east side of the hwy. I stopped for a whiz the other day and walked 20 yards into the bush where there is a field. It had about 20 cows in it.

New Bow Hunter
01-14-2016, 09:57 PM
There is supposed to be a herd around Dunkley sawmill area.

chris26262
01-14-2016, 10:23 PM
That's awesome!

floden
01-15-2016, 09:26 PM
This is a great thread and I'm looking forward to more answers. I've hunted 7-8 for years and years and never seen or even heard an elk. Lots of moose up there though.

sorry I can't be more help.

takla1
01-15-2016, 09:33 PM
Last I heard was around Dunkleys as well.Talked to the farmer I see every yr up at McCleese lake and his brother owns a farm near the mill and they see them in and around there east of the Railway tracks

good luck takla

chris26262
01-15-2016, 11:32 PM
Thanks guys! I've been looking forward to this trip! I've heard over the months back and forth. No elk there for years and some saying that there is elk. Time will tell!

Drillbit
01-15-2016, 11:52 PM
When are you going?

Maybe I'll go for a rip around there dog hunting and see if I can find you some tracks?

markomoose
01-16-2016, 09:45 PM
Heard of Elk around Dunkley as well but more sightings of ALIENS & UNICORNS!(MOONSHINE & BANJO COUNTRY)

Swamp mule
01-20-2016, 12:07 AM
The dairy farm near dunkley has a enclosed hay stackyard to stop the elk coming to feed. So there are elk in the area.

chris26262
02-02-2016, 01:12 PM
Well, just got back yesterday from my elk hunt in 7-08. Spent 4 days knocking on farmers doors and dropping of letters asking permission to hunt etc. When i wasnt doing that i was on snowshoes tripping over myself and the moose tracks that were every 5 feet! Man theres allot of moose in that area. As well as what seems to be a decent wolf population. The locals were great. They were friendly and had the odd bit of info for me. But nothing that came together. For 4 tags to be issued and 99% of the land owers ive talked to saying " havent had elk on their property for as long as they could remeber" Id say that this is no longer a problem elk area... Especially after talking to one of the PG biologist ( who was great ) says " they are there. Just not allot ". I was glad to have been drawn and to have gotten out. In the end thats hunting. You dont get em everytime and what a great few days spent out in the bush.

markomoose
02-02-2016, 05:28 PM
Good to here you gave it a try.Yes the elk are sporatic in this area.Lotsa moose and wolves as you said.7-O8 is close to P.G. so its real busy come fall time.