PDA

View Full Version : Let's Scare Ourselves - Wild Game Meat Precautions

Lugg
01-13-2016, 11:53 AM
All,

New to hunting, no one has ever taught me what to worry about when it comes to wild meats although I have heard of a few things to take into consideration when hunting and preparing wild game.

One that comes to mind is that Black Bears can carry Trichinosis, a type of parasitic disease caused by roundworm. Another if I recall is that Rabbits can carry Tularemia, not sure about this one. I've heard it's not safe to eat Squirrel brains... I'm good with that as I have no plans to.

So everyone, let's list what we know about this subject so we can all be prepared.

I'll start. Feel free to correct me!

Game: Black Bear
Issues: Trichinosis - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis
Preventative Measure: Proper cooking techniques can ensure that your bear meat is safe to eat. Like pork, the proper cooking time for bear meat is 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes per pound. Internal cooking temperature should reach 160 degrees for 3 minutes or more before consumption.

Salty
01-13-2016, 12:15 PM
That's the only one you need to be on alert about its no different than pork it must be well done. I'd eat raw deer, moose etc. Well, I wouldn't but I wouldn't get sick if I did. ;) There is chronic wasting disease and a few others of some concern but not really relevant to here. If an animal looks healthy it is. There's more things to be worried about in domestic herd animals.

wideopenthrottle
01-13-2016, 12:17 PM
https://www.google.ca/search?q=Bear+Filarial+Worm&biw=1680&bih=882&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJn5HLv6fKAhUI82MKHQQaD7MQsAQIJw
http://www.bearbiology.com/fileadmin/tpl/Downloads/URSUS/Vol_3/Rogers___Rogers_Vol_3.pdf

ajr5406
01-13-2016, 12:23 PM
http://themeateater.com/videos/steven-rinella-explains-contracted-trichinosis-episode-meateater/

Worth a watch!

MB_Boy
01-13-2016, 12:34 PM
A bit more on the handling side of game and you WILL get differing opinions on this. :wink: I just take this info from my Dad who has done a Masters and PhD in Parasitology.

If you are going to be hanging game for any period of time.....try and refrain from getting it overly wet to cool it down such as submerging in a creek etc unless it is in a sealed bag of some kind. Even if you have great game bags for hanging and protecting your game, water can get in the tissue pockets and provide a great spot for blow flies and other ugly little critters to develop and infest.

BiG Boar
01-13-2016, 12:34 PM
That's the only one you need to be on alert about its no different than pork it must be well done.

Pork doesn't have to be cooked to well done anymore.

BigfishCanada
01-13-2016, 12:41 PM
MB Boy does this mean as i hang the meat not to wash it with a garden hose?

MB_Boy
01-13-2016, 12:47 PM
MB Boy does this mean as i hang the meat not to wash it with a garden hose?

I wouldn't if it's going to be still hanging for an extended period of time. My Dad was adamant about this particularly when hanging moose on 10 day fly in trips. Wipe down with vinegar if need be but definitely don't soak it. We had large cloth game bags with Velcro on them around each quarter and then a large mesh bag that would slide up over a few quarters on the meat pole and seal at the top with Velcro as well to keep flies off the meat but still as a precaution there was no "washing" with lots of water be it from a bucket/hose etc.

In saying that.....if you're in cold temperatures it may not be as much as an issue but if there were flies around as there usually were during our end of Sept/early Oct hunts it was a "no no".

Vladimir Poutine
01-13-2016, 01:03 PM
That's the only one you need to be on alert about its no different than pork it must be well done. I'd eat raw deer, moose etc. Well, I wouldn't but I wouldn't get sick if I did. ;) There is chronic wasting disease and a few others of some concern but not really relevant to here. If an animal looks healthy it is. There's more things to be worried about in domestic herd animals.

The last sentence is truth and then some. It's the main reason we do it.

Omenator
01-13-2016, 01:10 PM
Check out the .pdf at this link:
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/environment/plants-animals-ecosystems/wildlife/wildlife-health

Lots more to watch for than most hunters think. Some of the herbivores carry things you don't want too. I make sure to use gloves and cook to specified temp.

.264winmag
01-13-2016, 04:24 PM
Just to add to the bear meat thing, freezing does NOT kill the trichinella. Has to be brought up to temp like said.
Seen a few ugly looking livers from an elk and a mulie both in the rut, I'd throw them out.
Never worn gloves to clean or butcher game, but I did have a cut on finger that got infected from gutting an elk. Not a bad idea to prepare for that.
Have read before that spinal fluid can have some nasty stuff for you, for this reason stopped making chops with saw.
Ole man taught me to wipe down entire skinned animal with vinegar/hot water, water evaporates quickly and crust forms. Then no moisture at as it will create bacteria. Don't get worked up about hair, it brushes off easy once 'set up'.
Had a wt buck from Cherryville a couple years ago, bad puncture in his neck likely from a tine. All infected and lymph nodes full of green puss. Brought sample to game butcher, said don't worry just careful not to get the shmag on the meat. Tasted fine, I'm fine.

elknut
01-13-2016, 04:29 PM
Thanks Omenator..Great read and filed under Favorites for future referal ....

01-13-2016, 04:31 PM
Most people are more scared of game then I am!
im 3rd generation borne and raised on it. My daughter is 4th. I love my moose rare.

two-feet
01-13-2016, 06:42 PM
Last 2 moose i gutted i took a slice of warm, steaming raw liver and slurped it back. It melts in the mouth like butter.

So ya, im not much afraid of game meat. Most of the nasty food safe type problems stem from the nasty factory farming system and will not affect an animal that was taken care of well in a home type setting. My opinion.

Gateholio
01-13-2016, 10:27 PM
Only time I would wash something is if someone punctured some guts and got piss and poo on it. One more reason to do the gutless method.

01-13-2016, 11:00 PM
[QUOTE=two-feet;1737958]Last 2 moose i gutted i took a slice of warm, steaming raw liver and slurped it back. It melts in the mouth like butter.

thats right up there with Big Bore eating some Coyote he wacked

Wick
02-27-2016, 11:45 AM
Been eating my dads game meat and the beasties I killed for 40 years and I am. It dead yet. My dad didn't treat his carcasses particularly well.. Eg unprocessed grouse in a garbage bags in the back of a hot truck all day, which affected the taste but was never a cause of illness if properly cooked. I ziplock the breasts, legs and heart right away and put the bag on ice. Big game is treated with equal respect.

Personally Im more "scared" of the meats at some local restaurants and the pink goo that becomes chicken mcnuggets. But what the hell, it's meat right? So I'll eat that too.

mpotzold
02-27-2016, 01:20 PM
Last 2 moose i gutted i took a slice of warm, steaming raw liver and slurped it back. It melts in the mouth like butter.

So ya, im not much afraid of game meat. Most of the nasty food safe type problems stem from the nasty factory farming system and will not affect an animal that was taken care of well in a home type setting. My opinion.

One of my old hunting partners BH did the same to deer liver shortly after he shot it. I read that eating polar bear liver could kill you. Not sure if grizzly or blackie liver is safe!

Not to worry. Don't eat bear meat & I'd have to be starving before eating any liver with the exception of LEBERWURST!

Piperdown
02-27-2016, 01:30 PM
I hear eating pussy can cause you to go insane :)

quadrakid
02-27-2016, 05:22 PM
More important to disinfect your hands after a bush poop,poo particles.

Vladimir Poutine
02-27-2016, 06:49 PM
Most people are more scared of game then I am!
im 3rd generation borne and raised on it. My daughter is 4th. I love my moose rare.

Oh yeah. Rare and juicy is da bomb.

Vladimir Poutine
02-27-2016, 06:50 PM
Only time I would wash something is if someone punctured some guts and got piss and poo on it. One more reason to do the gutless method.

Ya know, urine is actually sterile. Agreed on the other.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-27-2016, 07:34 PM
Ya know, urine is actually sterile. Agreed on the other.

Buck urine in the rut isn't a bacterial issue. It's more of a flavour issue.

mpotzold
02-27-2016, 07:39 PM
I hear eating pussy can cause you to go insane :)

Over there that comment would get you 10 years and 2000 lashes:p

northernbc
02-27-2016, 08:31 PM
just finished dinner, very tasty bear meatloaf. cooked properly and absolutely delicious. young ft st john bear, berry and clover fed. not on any gut piles or salmon . a true treat

Daybreak
02-27-2016, 08:34 PM
I just enjoyed a bowl of bear stew. Oh wait... it was terrible and I wouldn't ever recommend bear hunting for filling the freezer.:tongue: