PDA

View Full Version : 9 bears, 1 grizz

youngfellla
05-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Went for a cruise last night to try and find a decent blackie. The bears were out in full force. After seeing some 5-5 1/2 footers and passing up some 6' bears, I finally spotted a big blackie that I figured would go in the high 6' mark. He was up high in some nice grassy slopes feeding. I decided to put a stalk in him.

After about an hour and a half of picking my way up the slopes I got into a good spot about 90 yards from the bear in good shooting position. I studied him for a good 10 minutes to decide if I should take him. Just as I decided to hammer him, I was just sliding a shell into the chamber on my 416 Rigby, the bear looks up into the poplar trees on top of the ridge, turns, and goes into a dead run down the hill and out of sight.

I caught some movement out of the corner of my eye, and here comes a grizzly walking down out of the trees about 250 yards from me. I estimated him at 7 1/2', and he was a beautiful silvertip. He must have had somewhere to be, cause he never stopped, just kept trucking down the hill. I never had the time to get my camera out of my pack, and I didn't want him to see the movement. He continued on down through the thick brush and I spotted him crossing the road right beside my truck.8)

All in all a pretty good night, lots of action, no bears down, but having a grizz walk in that close was worth it. I was wishing I had a grizz tag for the area!

Fisher-Dude
05-19-2007, 11:51 AM
Experiences like that are why we go out there. Thanks for sharing!

mark
05-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Great experience man, once I found a meadow with a 7.5 ft grizz in the middle of it, the edge of the meadow had 6 large blackies (all at least 6 ft or more) scattered around it. We stalked to a brush pile at one edge of the meadow and watched as the largest of the blacks taunted, and tormented the grizz like a pesty little brother. The grizz ran the big black right out of the meadow, then returned to his spot to feed. The black came back to pester the grizz some more, jumping right at the grizzes face!!! The second time the grizz ran him off at full tilt, and was gone for 10 minutes before returning to his spot. We never saw the big black again! Oh how I wished I had a camcorder back then!

butcher
05-19-2007, 10:47 PM
are you sure you're not undergunned for black bear?:lol:

Caveman
05-19-2007, 10:55 PM
Sounds like a great evening for bear.

youngfellla
05-23-2007, 11:08 AM
are you sure you're not undergunned for black bear?:lol:

I felt pretty safe. Maybe just a tad undergunned, but I took the chance8)

sawmill
05-24-2007, 02:59 PM
A 416 Rigby.................is it named Elenor?8-)

Will
05-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Wow........with all the Bs about "Bear defense" guns etc. etc. I'd have thought he'd have Eaten You, having been so close :lol:

Awesome encounters no doubt........ just something about being up close to a Grizz that never gets old 8)

Will
05-24-2007, 10:17 PM
I was gonna call it Shirley, but apparently the name was taken. :wink:
What kind of Moron would name a Good Rifle, Shirley ???.....at least don't tell anyone about it if you must ! :-?

Must be a BC thing..........http://usera.imagecave.com/BCWILL/Smilies/onCrack.gif

mark
05-25-2007, 07:18 AM
What kind of Moron would name a Good Rifle, Shirley ???.....at least don't tell anyone about it if you must ! :-?

Must be a BC thing..........http://usera.imagecave.com/BCWILL/Smilies/onCrack.gif

Too Funny! :-D