PDA

View Full Version : Chehalis FSR Area Hunting

Lugg
01-09-2016, 12:12 PM
All,

Been looking for some places to take my son 4x4 camping this summer down the FSR roads. We are hoping to use the summer as a way to scout a spot to hunt next season (it will be our first season hunting).

We are from the lower mainland and like everyone else here we want to find a place to go. The closer the better. I suspect that this area is probably very populated with hunters during deer season but thought I'd ask here before looking elsewhere. We don't mind going further to hunt, I'd travel as far as 6 hours or so. But for scouting I don't want to drive that far every couple weekends if I don't have to.

Not looking for your honey hole near Chehalis. Just an honest answer about this location as we are new.

Oh, we'd also like to hunt Coyotes, any hunt them there?

Thanks

hoochie
01-09-2016, 12:23 PM
Chehalis is over run with quads and weekend warriors 4X4ing. Some guys have taken deer form there, but I have never had a chance. I have had the odd grouse, but its not a spot I would place a bet on for a successful hunt. As far as coyotes go, I haven't seen any in the hills around here, they are in the fraser valley on farm lands in abbotsford, but I have never seen them in the bush down here.
If you go up the coq highway a bit, there is plenty of opportunity at the summit. lots of roads; deer, moose, rabbit, grouse.

Lugg
01-09-2016, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the info Hoochie! That's the answer I figured I'd get.

Can anyone recommend an area to get started? An FSR to start with, etc. I hear hope is also over run.

We don't mind parking and hiking in a ways either. We backpack every year and winter camp occasionally, as long as it stays above -6 we are normally good to go. I'm good to -12 alone.

Thanks!

tuner
01-09-2016, 12:37 PM
Go further out of the LML, you'll be in much better hunting areas, and the extra driving time is negligible. There is not much use in scouting an area you don't plan on hunting it. You can be in decent deer hunting areas within a couple hour drive out. Coastal blacktail deer can be a frustrating endeavour for a new and inexperienced hunter, it's not a "new hunter" friendly spicies. Good luck and happy happy hunting.

TyTy
01-10-2016, 11:07 AM
Just get out there and put in the time. No short cuts. Its your first season; just focus on enjoying your time out there. We're not talking about a 'couple of weekends' here. Developing the knowledge and areas takes years. Best of luck

Wentrot
01-10-2016, 11:59 AM
Haven't shot one in there but there is plenty of sign if you do some hiking in the Chehalis area-it is extremely chappy terrain though, I'd focus elsewhere unless you don't mind being mentally and physically abused by them woods.

Ferenc
01-10-2016, 12:10 PM
Lugg.. From what I have heard they are about to put a hazardous waste facility in that area you wish to explore,it's a nice place as others have mentioned.. But I just thought I would let you know.. Not to deter you from the area I know Boston bar really well.. And if you wish to explore that area for an option send me a pm

Lugg
01-10-2016, 03:44 PM
Lugg.. From what I have heard they are about to put a hazardous waste facility in that area you wish to explore,it's a nice place as others have mentioned.. But I just thought I would let you know.. Not to deter you from the area I know Boston bar really well.. And if you wish to explore that area for an option send me a pm

boston bar is another place I've been considering. I may just send you a PM someday about that.

limit time
01-10-2016, 05:56 PM

Do you have a link to this ???

ruger#1
01-10-2016, 06:01 PM
It is true. That is what they are planning.It was in the Abbotsford paper.

ruger#1
01-10-2016, 06:09 PM
http://www.missioncityrecord.com/news/364664921.html

Ferenc
01-10-2016, 06:19 PM
http://www.missioncityrecord.com/news/364664921.html

Thanks Ruger... Guess we will have to wait and see.. My Buddy fishes out there and lives in Mission mentioned it to me and said it's basically a done deal... Be a lot traffic up there I bet .

ruger#1
01-10-2016, 06:22 PM
I stopped going up there twenty years ago. To many idiots. Used to be great. So was Sylvester road. It's the big city invading us.

scotty30-06
01-10-2016, 06:22 PM
Yea Black tails aren't like other deer...you have to commit to mountain tops and a lot of tracking..and in the coastal terrain it's a hard go.....that being said if it's close and you can spend more hours in the bush then go for it....alot of hunters drive right past these Hills like there's nothing living on them

ruger#1
01-10-2016, 06:25 PM
Yea Black tails aren't like other deer...you have to commit to mountain tops and a lot of tracking..and in the coastal terrain it's a hard go.....that being said if it's close and you can spend more hours in the bush then go for it....alot of hunters drive right past these Hills like there's nothing living on them You do not have to commit to mountain tops. Hatzic prarrie has lots of hunting for them with shotgun. I have taken lots out of there.

scotty30-06
01-10-2016, 07:26 PM
True...but the fact if he is looking going up chehalis Fsr...pretty thick bush up there.....theres deer in lots of places but he is speaking of a certain spot

6pt_elk_wannabe
01-10-2016, 11:17 PM
For a first season I'd give the coq lakes (2-17/8-5) area a go, not too far, little less busy than areas around the LML, plus great country that is perfect for hiking and some beauty alpine and lots of cuts too. Hunting here you'll see and have chances on way more deer than hunting blacktails along the coast.

Lugg
01-11-2016, 01:58 AM
For a first season I'd give the coq lakes (2-17/8-5) area a go, not too far, little less busy than areas around the LML, plus great country that is perfect for hiking and some beauty alpine and lots of cuts too.

That sounds like the exact type of area we are looking for! Alpine, good hiking, etc.

I really appreciate all the tips so far, and I've received a few private messages directing me to some spots to look at. Now we have a list of places to start which was getting stressful to figure out. Thank you!

Would love more suggestions.

BiG Boar
01-11-2016, 07:43 AM
The further you can you between you and the lower mainland the better. This goes for hunting in general. Get away from people, get into the game. This is a rule I live by. Sure you can get the occasional deer in Chilliwack, Hope, Chehallis or the Coq, but the money you think you save in gas, actually costs more in gas, because instead of 1-2 weekends, you have to go 6-8 weekends.

ruger#1
01-11-2016, 07:45 AM
Glad you didn't mention my area Dave.

Fella
01-11-2016, 09:57 AM
All,

Been looking for some places to take my son 4x4 camping this summer down the FSR roads. We are hoping to use the summer as a way to scout a spot to hunt next season (it will be our first season hunting).

We are from the lower mainland and like everyone else here we want to find a place to go. The closer the better. I suspect that this area is probably very populated with hunters during deer season but thought I'd ask here before looking elsewhere. We don't mind going further to hunt, I'd travel as far as 6 hours or so. But for scouting I don't want to drive that far every couple weekends if I don't have to.

Not looking for your honey hole near Chehalis. Just an honest answer about this location as we are new.

Oh, we'd also like to hunt Coyotes, any hunt them there?

Thanks

Go north or east. Princeton area, Kelowna etc hold more opportunity. Chehalis is tough hunting unless you're staying off the roads, then it's tough hiking.

fuzzy 63
01-12-2016, 03:54 PM
HI all , I fished the chehalis a lot twenty years ago and we fished a canyon pool known as fleetwood . It was a long trip in, then ropes to the bottom . the way in was old skid roads and was very busy with rubs . I saw a nice 3x3 moving away as we approached and know of another who used to hike in with his 30-30 during coho season in nov .
as far as location this is the north east side of the river and probley 1\2 km below the bridge out the outlet of chehalis lake . It used to loop all the way round from the sasquatch inn , to just above the chehalis single lane bridge campsite . Very high up the fleetwood main a bridge at aprox 20 k mark washed out permanently and made a difficult hike even more tough , google earth the area and have a look for the small benches that parallel the canyon . our decent into the canyons from this point was about 300 meters . good luck
Cliff

GotaGun
01-12-2016, 04:58 PM
West harrison FSR has more area to hunt and more camping spots than chahalis. Same turn off .off of lougheed hwy.also main fsr goes 180km?? Comes out at Pemberton area.

fuzzy 63
01-12-2016, 06:21 PM
this area connects to the west harrison , by going to top of chehalis lake then take the mystery rd to the west harrison main . comes out just above the twenty mile bay campsite right on harrison lake . this route gives a rd hunter lots of area to explore and still not be out of the basic lower mainland . anyone here ever get over to long Island ? or could that be a start for a new thread !

mrtires24
01-12-2016, 08:46 PM
I just want to post a comment on here so I can look back at this thread. The original posters request is similar to what I am looking for, and 2016 will be my first year hunting as well.

Trying to do as much research as I can before asking any questions.

This is my first post ever. Hope it's ok I follow this thread.

GotaGun
01-12-2016, 08:57 PM
this area connects to the west harrison , by going to top of chehalis lake then take the mystery rd to the west harrison main . comes out just above the twenty mile bay campsite right on harrison lake . this route gives a rd hunter lots of area to explore and still not be out of the basic lower mainland . anyone here ever get over to long Island ? or could that be a start for a new thread !

Thought there was no way around there after the slide. Not in a truck anyways.

Salty
01-12-2016, 09:00 PM
Welcome to the site mrtires :) Follow away good info here and all around the site for new hunters, enjoy

fuzzy 63
01-12-2016, 09:50 PM
you are right gotagun . slide has blocked access for vehicles .

Ryo
01-12-2016, 10:16 PM
Scott Haugen's trophy blacktail book is quite helpful if you're deadset on hunting west of the cascades.