PDA

View Full Version : How to know crown land / legal land to hunt?

Lugg
01-08-2016, 08:46 PM
All,

I've been learning all I can about hunting for the last 6 months or so and have learned a great deal. Many thanks to everyone here for a lot of that information.

One thing I am very stumped about and am finding more and more frustrating is knowing what land is legal to hunt on and what is not.

What I do know is private land is not legal to hunt without permission. Crown land is legal to hunt on. There are other types of land as well, provincial parks (no hunting), Indian Reservations (Not sure the rules but I will assume with no hunting without permission), and others. But to keep things simple I want to find legal crown land to hunt and I just don't know how to tell if what I'm looking at is crown land, private land without signage or gates, etc.

I have tried using iMapBC and the front counter discovery tool. I can pick out some places to stay away from with these tools such as reservations. Very good chance I am not using these programs to their full potential!

Does anyone have some tips on figuring these things out?

Help would be very much appreciated!

Fred1
01-08-2016, 08:56 PM
A real good place to ask is your nearest Timber company! Ie TOLKO, Canfor etc. and even any small forest consultants - They will have all that stuff on their maps. If you get the right guy he may print you what you need. The Ministry of Forests may help too. One thing I have learned here in the Okanagan, if it has grass on it, bank on it being private land.

Sofa King
01-08-2016, 08:57 PM
All,

I've been learning all I can about hunting for the last 6 months or so and have learned a great deal. Many thanks to everyone here for a lot of that information.

One thing I am very stumped about and am finding more and more frustrating is knowing what land is legal to hunt on and what is not.

What I do know is private land is not legal to hunt without permission. Crown land is legal to hunt on. There are other types of land as well, provincial parks (no hunting), Indian Reservations (Not sure the rules but I will assume with no hunting without permission), and others. But to keep things simple I want to find legal crown land to hunt and I just don't know how to tell if what I'm looking at is crown land, private land without signage or gates, etc.

I have tried using iMapBC and the front counter discovery tool. I can pick out some places to stay away from with these tools such as reservations. Very good chance I am not using these programs to their full potential!

Does anyone have some tips on figuring these things out?

Help would be very much appreciated!

not true.....

Lugg
01-08-2016, 09:06 PM
not true.....

Just Googled it, you're 100% right, I guess you can hunt in some parks.

For those who did not know, like me. You can go to http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/ and look up a park. It will let you know if you can hunt.

Caribou_lou
01-08-2016, 09:22 PM
I use front Counter BC. Downloaded it onto my computer and it overlays onto my Google Earth. Different colours identify different land titles. I cant remember the exact steps for setup. Had it set up 3 years ago. I use it lots! Have a few good deer spots because of it. Drove past what I thought was private land for years!

Buckmeister
01-08-2016, 09:25 PM
Slinky Pickle posted up a good thread that uses Google Earth and he explains how to set it up so it shows where the private land and others are. I think it's in the video/picture section.

Lugg
01-08-2016, 09:26 PM
Ok, I think i figured this out to some degree. For some reason I was not searching for the phrases I should have been.

Here's where I am in front counter. The areas that do not show as colored grids, what are they? Is it crown?

http://i.imgur.com/tASOxwv.jpg

Slinky Pickle
01-08-2016, 10:18 PM
Check out this video and see if it helps.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?110525

Lugg
01-08-2016, 10:51 PM
Check out this video and see if it helps.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?110525

Hey Slinky Pickle, I actually found it before reading your comment. It did help! Thanks for making it! Now I'm still trying to figure some things out. Like if it's not the color of "Crown Ownership" or "Private Ownership" what does that mean? Example. Tenures - Tantalis, etc.

Wagonmaster
01-09-2016, 02:55 PM
Iv'e wondered the same thing. What is the classification of all the land that is still natural looking, i.e. not coloured? Lugg, if you also put checkmarks beside Land Act Survey and Crown Lease Ter... , you will get green icons that indicate leases as well as the sections outlined. Click on the green icons and the boundaries of grazing leases will become apparent. Maybe Sinky Pickle can answer re: uncolored areas.

Jelvis
01-09-2016, 08:36 PM
94 % of BC is owned and operated by our Crown. Keep it that way.
Jelly only 6% privately owned land in BC let's keep it down and keep it Crown!

Slinky Pickle
01-09-2016, 09:07 PM
As far as I know, the coloured Crown land has been surveyed and registered whereas the uncoloured has not be surveyed yet.

Jelvis
01-09-2016, 09:18 PM
I go by fence lines for a clue of evidence. Barbed wire or fenced and cross fenced.
Hunt outside of or on if in October or so. Some places here in kammy are fenced but can be hunted. Grass Conservatory bought millions of dollars worth of preemo del a reemo grasslands by Kammy double Wammy. Off an old time rancher here, Frolick was their name, real nice lifelong ranching family in Kammy.
You can hunt it cuz they let you walk free and wild within but use the grasslands with respect.
Mule deer, whitetail and some late season mooski's.
-- Burrowing owls, chuckars, grouse, you name it. Rattlers, rabbits, ticks lol.
Ask your local people who live near where your hunting for some hands on.
Jelly ( Kammy ) Bound

Muliechaser
01-09-2016, 09:51 PM
not true.....
Beat me to it lol .