PDA

View Full Version : Hunting clothes

Huss
01-08-2016, 08:34 PM
What's everyone got for sheep hunting clothes. I have kuiu but not impressed. I was looking for something decently priced. Let me know what you have tried.

Pinewood
01-08-2016, 08:52 PM
I can't provide input on sheep hunting gear, but I'm curious what you didn't like about the Kuiu gear? I have some of their stuff and find it to be amazing for high output hiking. Can't really imagine anything better.

Islanderr
01-08-2016, 09:27 PM
I agree kuiu has great stuff

Fred1
01-08-2016, 09:29 PM
This is what I know and learned on my hunt. Start with good layers, head to toe - merino wool (Icebreaker). You can go the "goretex" route but its all pricy. I go with rubber. The helley hanson stuff is lighter than anything. Some of the Kuiu stuff is good, but their merino line isnt very durable. Get a lightweight down jacket. Any lightweight nylon quick dry pants. I wouldn't take anything sheep hunting that wont dry quickly without a fire. Lightweight fleece pants are good too. Merino underwear and socks! You only need a couple pairs of each. Grease the shit out of your boots right before you go. Gaiters were great too. Theres a start. Your clothing choices will also change a bit with the time of your hunt. But over all you really don't need much for clothes. GIVER!!

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
01-08-2016, 10:15 PM
i would like to see some complete lists of daily wear from some of the High Altitude hunters base layers , pants, jackets . including extra stuff like rain gear ,.sock choices . beanies , Hats , gloves etc . i use this site called Trailspace outdoor gear reviews . its really good for mountain clothing .

Sofa King
01-08-2016, 10:28 PM
This is what I know and learned on my hunt. Start with good layers, head to toe - merino wool (Icebreaker). You can go the "goretex" route but its all pricy. I go with rubber. The helley hanson stuff is lighter than anything. Some of the Kuiu stuff is good, but their merino line isnt very durable. Get a lightweight down jacket. Any lightweight nylon quick dry pants. I wouldn't take anything sheep hunting that wont dry quickly without a fire. Lightweight fleece pants are good too. Merino underwear and socks! You only need a couple pairs of each. Grease the shit out of your boots right before you go. Gaiters were great too. Theres a start. Your clothing choices will also change a bit with the time of your hunt. But over all you really don't need much for clothes. GIVER!!

is that for really quick descents?

decker9
01-08-2016, 11:41 PM
I always pack the same, for a 4 day hunt or a 10 dayer. A old pair of sitka pants, no idea what model but they'r comfy light and dry quick, a set of long johns and a set of joggers for sleeping in. Joggers are back up for when I'm durying my sitka's if they get wet.
Tops, 2 light arcteyrx long sleeve under shirts and a regular T shirt. I use to pack a heavy hoody until this passed season, I got a good deal on a kuiu super down jacket, as much as I hate kuiu, man that things light and warm!! Quality, I question. Gotta treat it like a egg shell. I generally buy bran new super store socks, I pack 2-3 pair, nothing like bran new socks!! And always toss in a pair of wool socks to.
Rain gear, iv always been a helly Hanson guy, until I splurged and bought a sitka downpour jacket a few years back. That things been bomb proof, breaths good and keeps me dry. I still use helly bottoms tho, I don't think there's many bottoms that will last crawling threw devils club blow down and alders.

Thats for a august-mid sept hunt. Later in the year, the wool comes out.

Fred1
01-08-2016, 11:47 PM
is that for really quick descents?
yes!!! !

Huss
01-09-2016, 12:52 AM
Kuiu stuff just doesn't hold up. One hunt and a couple day hikes and my pants are starting to rip and tear. I have had an old pair from Canadian tire that hold up better to more punishment.

Stresd
01-09-2016, 08:59 AM
Been on Five 14 day Sheep trips, and numerous 3-4 dayers wearing my Kuiu merino 150/250 base layers, with Yukon pants and Chugach jacket to keep the elements out. Kuiu hooded Puffy for the mornings and glassing. Excellent Gear that has performed well beyond my expectations, and has stood up really well to the abuse and wear that I have put on them. My Yukon pants have had the piss pounded out of them with all the time spent on my knees and ass spotting and glassing. Yet I see no reason why I won't be able to use this same gear setup for quite a few more years. I was using Sitka prior to switching to the Kuui gear.

SR80
01-09-2016, 10:11 AM
3 pairs of merino socks( one for sleeping in) Kuiu 145 zip off merino long johns (dont like kuiu either, but the zip off longjohn is awesome) 2 pairs saxx long legged underwear, sitka timberline pant, or accent pant depending on how hot it'll be. Merino T-shirt, merino mid layer and sitka traverse hoody. Puffy jacket, first lite rain shell and older Kuiu rain pants. I take the same clothing for 2 nights or 10.

Fred1
01-09-2016, 10:19 AM
Agreed the zip off idea is awesome!!

mod7rem
01-09-2016, 11:35 AM
My sheep/goat hunting clothes:

-light weight merino wool under shorts
-Merino wool mid weight long underwear(wear when needed)
-I bring an extra pair of synthetic long underwear in case I need more layers
-Heavy weight merino wool long sleeve shirt(wear all the time)
-Northface convertable hiking pants, the heavier ones
-Northface synthetic hoodie
-Merino wool socks
-Montbel down sweater
-Integral designs eVent Through Hiker rain jacket
-Westcomb eVent rain pants

Brno22F
01-09-2016, 12:22 PM
For my 2015 sheep hunt, I did a lot of research through old threads on this site to come up with a gear/food/clothing list that would cover my needs.
For clothing- because it was opening day- Aug 1 and the likelihood of snow or freezing temps was less, here is what I brought for clothes for an 8 day hunt.
2 pairs dry plus synthetic boxer shorts (Marks)
1 synthetic dry plus T shirt (Marks)
3 pairs wigwam Merino wool socks (got them at MEC but they are available lots of other places)
1 pair light merino wool long johns - Stanfields
2 long sleeve merino wool undershirts- Stanfields
1 heavy wool undershirt (Loggers tuxedo, west coast cashmere) - Stanfields
1 pair of MEC river pants- quick drying- they were fantastic
1 heavy fleece hoodie
1 set of rain gear- Cabelas goretex- worked great
Boots- Columbia waterproof light hikers - out dry model . They were amazing.
1 pair of flip-flops to wear around camp.

We had 5 of 8 days with rain and fog. It was not pleasant but it could have been down right miserable if we hadn't brought the right gear and clothing.

None of my stuff is camo- just various shades of dull grey , tan or green which just seems to blend in very well with the terrain we were hunting.

spear
01-09-2016, 03:23 PM
When packing for sheep you need to make every piece of gear do double duty, otherwise your pack weight is going to climb. Everybody has different preferences but basically you need:

Baselayer/lightweight -merino for longer trips, synthetic for 2-5 days is fine
Midlayer - Sitka Traverse/Core HW, fleece, HW Merino, Kuiu Pelaton or 210 Merino etc, lots of good choices
Insulating Layer - Down of Synthetic, best for weight/durability/warmth down I've seen is Kuiu, best synthetic I've seen is Patagonia Nano air hoody, I have both and rotate
Outerlayer - Use a heavier hardshell for double duty, sitka stormfront, Kuiu yukon, Arcteryx Beta SV etc
- pants use a lightweight pant that can vent in ascends but keep you warm enough for glassing without an underlayer and also shed light precip
OR - run a softshell layer and then lighter rain shell

MY typical line up for 15 day sheep

smartwool/icebreaker baselayer - one t shirt, one long sleeve
Kuiu Attack pants (one pair of merino long underwear for cold days)
Kuiu Guide Jacket
Kuiu Superdown hoody or Patagonia Nano air hoody (Kenai jacket is very similar) both are very warm, very breathable and quiet
Patagonia M10 Jacket - I will likely switch this out for a more durable 3 layer jacket like the chugach or Arcteryx

rubber rain gear is the MOST waterproof gear out there, but try and hike or climb in it and decide if its right for mountain hunting
down is the warmest per weight, but if it gets wet (so called waterproof down or not) it sucks, if you cant stay dry take a synthetic

Lots of guys hate on the Kuiu, consider this.
3 layer hardshell Kuiu Yukon currently 496.00CDN comparable Arcteryx 650.00-700.00CDN, Sitka Stormfront 680.00-720.00
softshell jacket Sitka Jetstream 400.00, kuiu Guide 270.00, Arcteryx Gamma Mx 370.00
the list goes on, say what you want there is no other outerwear manufacturer producing garments at comparable quality level for even close to the price of Kuiu, even with our brutal exchange

Then again a wool mackinaw cruiser and blue jeans will probably lead you straight to a booner ram anyway

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
01-09-2016, 03:36 PM
Nice list fellas . remember to include the Model of the gear . its important . you can never have enough info . testing testing always testing .

Bugle M In
01-10-2016, 12:21 AM
And here I thought Sitka was going to be the No1 choice.
Granted, the price would stop most of the guys I know from buying...
Plus, a few of them would have to "shed a few pounds" to fit into that stuff...but shhhh, don't tell them I said that..:wink:
I found some "Badlands" clothing that seem like it has potential.
I purchased some pants, on sale, that seem to be made in similar materials to Sitka.
So far, 2 seasons, and they been really good.
I wouldn't take my Browning gear up sheep hunting....to bulky, except the their raingear.
But, I would have to consider "Badlands" if going for sheep again one day.
Although, I guess I never seen Kuiu before, so I would look into it.
If I was a "serious" sheep hunter, and that was my main objective every season, and I made several hunts for sheep
yearly, I think I would be going with some Sitka stuff, just because the weather can go from great to pure hell in minutes.
I want to know I will stay dry and warm.
I can always walk in my boxer's, if its 30+.

avadad
01-10-2016, 12:33 AM
I've had excellent results with my Kuiu clothing…hard to believe that some don't like it. I see a good deal of guides using kuiu as well.

The Hermit
01-10-2016, 01:03 AM
I like the Kuiu gear in general but had two packs fail, the ass ripped on their rain pants, and i find their merino base layer to be a tiny bit itchy, and their Attack pants although very comfortable pil really badly in any kind of thorny vegisation (to the point of just throwing them out). I've switched mostly to First Lite merino pants, base layers that as smoother and have the thumb hole features, and excellent rain gear.

Blockcaver
01-10-2016, 10:18 AM
I'd add a couple pairs of COSTCO Paradox long underwear bottoms ($15/pr) and long sleeve zip neck tops ($20 ea) to the list of good stuff for the pack in hunts. They are a fairly thin poly and merino wool blend in grey or black and say made in Canada. They dry faster and are tougher than straight merino and don't have the poly smell issues, or at least not for quite a few days. Note that the men's bottoms lack a front hole, which takes a bit of getting used to but probably ultimately are a bit more comfortable hiking without the extra layers in there. Their 4 packs of wool socks for $12 are a heck of a deal too and mine have lasted a long time....I double them up in my Muck boots but not my hikers. And no, I don't work for COSTCO......just like a good deal on functional clothes.

Backwoods
01-10-2016, 10:32 AM
2015 I purchased all new merino wool baselayers, socks, boxers, then tried out some of the new line from Under Armour hunting pants and jacket, (cold gear) I wore this gear for early Aug moose hunt in 7b which it was really warm temps and it was really breathable, and also wore the same gear into sept for a elk/sheep hunts backpacking for 3-4 days switching base layers with temps etc, got rained on hard, it is water resistant but still breaths great. And im still wearing the same gear now in the peace reg with temps low as -25, again wearing different base layers but this gear has proven durability, comfort etc... I would highly recommend it to any hunter, and the price was awesome, $239 for the jacket and $239 for the pants, its the UNDER ARMOUR Cold gear. ive slid down shale on my but, crawled over logs, rocks, etc.. and I have to say I don't have a stich out of place. the pants have zippers on the side of legs which is awesome if your getting warm just un-zip let air flow in, zippers haven't leaked when rained on or walking through tall wet brush. for rain gear I use the helly hanson green stretchy bibs and jacket, light and does the trick.

Backwoods
01-10-2016, 10:36 AM
For the price of Under Armour and the quality I have found and seen first hand I would recommend it for sure! I talked my friend into getting UA gear over Sitka and he still thanks me, for an all around hunting gear for deer,moose,elk even sheep season I couldn't complain for the $500 it cost me, just my two cents!

Lukeez88
01-10-2016, 01:35 PM
another kuiu question here: Is the kuiu Peloton zip t basically the same thing as the sitka traverse? I see it comes in different weights- 200 and 240? and with or without hoods? One of my go to's right now is my stanfield loggers tuxedo. wondering if one of these would make a more light weight/compact/rugged replacement. I like the idea of the peloton acting as a mid layer as well as an wind resistant outer layer. early season, the only jacket ill pack is my sitka dewpoint rain jacket, i only wear a jacket if its raining.

Sitkaspruce
01-10-2016, 03:48 PM
I am by no means a gear freak like some guys on here......;)

I use a mixture of different cloths that I find on sale....cheap bstard that I am....

Base layer is a mix of light/med weight merino wool from either Costco, Core 4 Element, Icebreaker or Cabelas or synthetic from Sitka, MEC or Cabelas for tops and Stanfields Super wool (not sure if you can either find the stuff anymore) or Sitka for bottoms

Mid layer is always my west coast tux (Stanfields) for a top; will add a Kryptek hoody for extra warmth and to keep the wind off my neck if sitting
Pants have been a real mix depending on the situation; Early season has been Eddie Bauer Guide pants which are awesome pants or the Core 4 Element Switchback pants which are also great pants. Mid season (moose and elk) are Core 4 Element's Element pants, which have been good for the usual walking and beating the brush but they are fading in colour after a couple years of use or the LAW series from Rivers West, which although to not breath worth a crap, are my go to pants when it is cold, snowing and wet out. Just got a pair of Sitka Mountain and Sitka Timberline pants that I have worn a couple times checking cameras and so far, pretty nice stuff!!

Outer layer is again a mix depending on the situation. Early season jackets have been an old Whitewater Gore-Tex rain jacket that has been with me for 15 years and never let a drop of water in; great rain and wind jacket. Have also used the C4E Torrent rain jacket the odd time and it has been good as well. Wet coast hunting has been HH Impertec, enough said. Pants have been either HH or just picked up a pair of Kryptek Koldo rain pants. Will be trying them this spring. If blind sitting, outer layer is Kryptek Aegis bibs along with a heavy weight wools sweater.

Add in gloves and toques of different makes and models along with a puffy down vest from Whitewater and I have been comfortable from +20 to -30.

If it was not for the stupid boarder fees, I would try Kuiu, but being the cheap bstard that I am......

Cheers

SS

86k20
01-10-2016, 04:08 PM
another kuiu question here: Is the kuiu Peloton zip t basically the same thing as the sitka traverse? I see it comes in different weights- 200 and 240? and with or without hoods? One of my go to's right now is my stanfield loggers tuxedo. wondering if one of these would make a more light weight/compact/rugged replacement. I like the idea of the peloton acting as a mid layer as well as an wind resistant outer layer. early season, the only jacket ill pack is my sitka dewpoint rain jacket, i only wear a jacket if its raining.

The Sitka Traverse is far more comfy. Also fits a little bigger (I am xxl). I like both but the Traverse gets worn all the time because I like it so much.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
01-10-2016, 09:23 PM
Icebreaker and smart wool may seem pricey , but the costco merino socks and whatever doesnt hold up . you get what you pay for . im switching out everything for Icebreaker and Smartwool..

TrickleCharger
01-10-2016, 10:29 PM
Great thread, there are a lot of choices out there and it's pretty tough to justify buying one of everything to try it all out so it sure helps to hear thoughts from others. I don't mind paying for quality but there's nothing worse than paying big bucks and not being satisfied. I am trying to get together some more functional hunting clothing myself, I picked up a Sitka Traverse hoody, UA fleece hoody, First Lite merino boxers and toque on boxing week sales. Haven't got to test it yet but all seems like good stuff.

For pants I've been looking at different non hunting hiking pants but most seem too noisy or are cotton, which I'm trying to get away from. I want to try the FL Kanabs but have heard of durability problems, this is a real deal breaker for $250 pants! I also would like to try KUIU attacks but am also concerned about their durability given the price tag after exchange, and I'm still hoping to find some good hiking pants that I can buy locally and save a few bucks. Not too concerned about camo on my legs.

Still looking for a rain shell also and am considering ponying up for KUIU Chugach or FL Stormtight, I don't mind paying for something that will last and these seem to get pretty good reviews. I'm still not sold on how "breathable" a waterproof garment can really be though, and I'd be pretty pissed to spend $500 and end up sweating like I'm still wearing my $100 Pioneer set.

To the guys wearing the Helly Hansen rain gear, is this the stuff you're using?
http://www.marks.com/shop/en/marks/impertech-pu-deluxe-jacket-36508
http://www.marks.com/shop/en/marks/impertech-deluxe-bib-rain-pants-36491

Fred1
01-10-2016, 10:46 PM
Great thread, there are a lot of choices out there and it's pretty tough to justify buying one of everything to try it all out so it sure helps to hear thoughts from others. I don't mind paying for quality but there's nothing worse than paying big bucks and not being satisfied. I am trying to get together some more functional hunting clothing myself, I picked up a Sitka Traverse hoody, UA fleece hoody, First Lite merino boxers and toque on boxing week sales. Haven't got to test it yet but all seems like good stuff.

For pants I've been looking at different non hunting hiking pants but most seem too noisy or are cotton, which I'm trying to get away from. I want to try the FL Kanabs but have heard of durability problems, this is a real deal breaker for $250 pants! I also would like to try KUIU attacks but am also concerned about their durability given the price tag after exchange, and I'm still hoping to find some good hiking pants that I can buy locally and save a few bucks. Not too concerned about camo on my legs.

Still looking for a rain shell also and am considering ponying up for KUIU Chugach or FL Stormtight, I don't mind paying for something that will last and these seem to get pretty good reviews. I'm still not sold on how "breathable" a waterproof garment can really be though, and I'd be pretty pissed to spend $500 and end up sweating like I'm still wearing my $100 Pioneer set.

Some guys like that HH stuff. There is some lighter/thinner rubber HH stuff. I think it is the Voss jacket? Much lighter and packs down small.

Fred1
01-10-2016, 10:52 PM
Ah its the Abbotsford jacket. And they make a simple rubber pull up rain pant thin like the stretch bib.

Bugle M In
01-10-2016, 10:57 PM
As far as base layers...
"Blue Johns"!!....
I don't know if they are still sold, but I just go back to those.
I tried lots of stuff, but, those "blue johns" are comfy, and seem to be the best of both worlds...IMO
If it warms up in the day, they don't overheat you, and when it's cold, they keep you warm.
They dry incredibly fast, especially if you consider the thickness of the material in relation to some other synthetics.
The newer set that I own where more "thicker" in material density, than my original set, so they made changes.
Durability wise, they hung in there very well...but...just don't put them in the dryer!!!
Now it's got me thinking...I should see if they are still manufactured, and if someone still sells them.??

Cordillera
01-11-2016, 10:18 PM
Kudu pillion is really wind resistant and breathable. It is an excellent light outer layer when not raining especially with merino layers underneath.

Xenomorph
01-11-2016, 11:33 PM
Under Armour for me so far. I bought the Ridge Reaper ColdGear when they came onto the market as a buffer before buying the Kuiu gear. Jacket and pants still look like new and been put through the paces. Still remember the day in Merritt when I slid along the fence and got snagged by the barb wire. Didn't go into the fabric, my cousins' pants were ripped at the arse and a large portion of the jacket.

Still, from all research I've done, I think Kuiu will be the camo I'll settle on. Years from now when my UA gear dies. Ended up buying softshell, hoodie, layers from UA as well, after seeing how jacket and pants performed. Even the boots are UA Speed Freaks: 10h hike up and down the mountains and your foot is still comfortable.

Backwoods
01-12-2016, 12:20 PM
Under Armour for me so far. I bought the Ridge Reaper ColdGear when they came onto the market as a buffer before buying the Kuiu gear. Jacket and pants still look like new and been put through the paces. Still remember the day in Merritt when I slid along the fence and got snagged by the barb wire. Didn't go into the fabric, my cousins' pants were ripped at the arse and a large portion of the jacket.

Still, from all research I've done, I think Kuiu will be the camo I'll settle on. Years from now when my UA gear dies. Ended up buying softshell, hoodie, layers from UA as well, after seeing how jacket and pants performed. Even the boots are UA Speed Freaks: 10h hike up and down the mountains and your foot is still comfortable.
I agree 100%, I can't believe how awesome my UA cold gear has been for durability and comfort, breaths in warmer temps, keeps me warm in colder temps, in the future when my UA gear is no longer good, I'll try kuiu gear or Sitka, but with the newer UA gear coming out and how good mine has been, it well be hard to switch brands.

Sitkaspruce
01-12-2016, 08:28 PM
I have heard and read that the complaint about the UA stuff is that it stinks after a couple days use and stays that way until washed, especially their underwear. Any truth to that???

If people are looking for some cold weather jackets and bibs, Columbia Sportswear Canada has a good sale on right now for their Wool blend jackets and bibs.

I know this is a question about sheep hunting cloths, but figured it will not hurt about the Columbia gear for cold weather.

Cheers

SS

ACB
01-12-2016, 10:05 PM
I don't care what the manufacture is but your gear should be light weight,wind proof and fairly water proof that dry's quickly. Because you are going to get wet! My personal stuff is all old school fleace, gortex browning wear and I would put it up against any of the "new" made in CHINA crap thats out there or" their" as some of you guy's perfer. Water proofed Meindl boots and smartwool socks.

Backwoods
01-13-2016, 07:02 AM
I have heard and read that the complaint about the UA stuff is that it stinks after a couple days use and stays that way until washed, especially their underwear. Any truth to that???

If people are looking for some cold weather jackets and bibs, Columbia Sportswear Canada has a good sale on right now for their Wool blend jackets and bibs.

I know this is a question about sheep hunting cloths, but figured it will not hurt about the Columbia gear for cold weather.

Cheers

SS
I haven't found my UA gear to stink yet, hunted in it all year from aug-jan now and haven't had issues of smell, I use all merino wool base layers also so maybe that helps

BiG Boar
01-13-2016, 08:00 AM
UA base layers do stink after a couple hours. There is no anti bacterial properties to that stuff. Same goes for all synthetic base layers. The merino wool base layers do no stink, even after being worn for days on end. Wool is anti bacterial.

Salty
01-13-2016, 12:22 PM
UA base layers do stink after a couple hours. There is no anti bacterial properties to that stuff. Same goes for all synthetic base layers. The merino wool base layers do no stink, even after being worn for days on end. Wool is anti bacterial.

Dude, Under Armour? I was sure you hunted with a coyote skin draped over you like at the hockey game. I am crushed. Where have all my heroes gone :(

BiG Boar
01-13-2016, 12:40 PM
Dude, Under Armour? I was sure you hunted with a coyote skin draped over you like at the hockey game. I am crushed. Where have all my heroes gone :(

I've switched to a skunk hat. But I'm making a new hat now.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/bigbore14/776EB326-05A7-4D80-8FBD-871F1E30B161_zpszcuxionr.jpg (http://s300.photobucket.com/user/bigbore14/media/776EB326-05A7-4D80-8FBD-871F1E30B161_zpszcuxionr.jpg.html)

Bugle M In
01-13-2016, 12:42 PM
Good pic!...lol

BiG Boar
01-13-2016, 12:43 PM
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/bigbore14/30F776D5-98E7-4829-92AA-7C6A5A0736C1_zpstqkfkisv.jpg (http://s300.photobucket.com/user/bigbore14/media/30F776D5-98E7-4829-92AA-7C6A5A0736C1_zpstqkfkisv.jpg.html)

Theres a better view of the skunk in all its stinking glory.

Fred1
01-13-2016, 12:46 PM
Now that's a great lid!!

Salty
01-13-2016, 12:54 PM
OK, skunks are cool. .. ha ha

Ferenc
01-13-2016, 01:02 PM
Anyone use Raven Wear or Sleeping Indian designs clothing ( the latter no longer made I believe ) having both in my arsenal of clothing you can never have too much..most likely not suited for a sheep hunt .. But good quality I would recommend.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
01-13-2016, 06:54 PM

I was looking at the FL Kanabs too . but 250 is too much .