PDA

View Full Version : the Revenant movie is really good!

tripleseven
01-08-2016, 01:10 AM
So of course they screwed up the elk rut timing, but they actually got a lot of details pretty dang good. Thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Two thumbs up from me!

scotty30-06
01-08-2016, 02:26 AM
Yea I wanna see it next weekend....since I don't want any spoilers this will be the last time I checked this thread before watching it....i have been looking forward to it

Seth
01-08-2016, 07:56 AM
A lot of it was filmed in Alberta. Portions were filmed in BC as well. Great movie. The grizz attack scene is eye opening to say the least.

Husky7mm
01-08-2016, 08:13 AM
I was really looking forward to seeing it but after I saw it I change my mind. I am not gonna spoil it for anyone. Its worth watching anyways. Cheers

.300WSMImpact!
01-08-2016, 09:19 AM
I just hate the pretend environmentalist, I guess its a must watch but maybe I will stream it for free so he gets less revenue

Clint_S
01-08-2016, 10:09 AM
Haven't seen it but am really peeved that they would take the story of hugh glass which is a pretty incredible story as is and hollywoodize it.

Xenomorph
01-08-2016, 10:26 AM
Haven't seen it but am really peeved that they would take the story of hugh glass which is a pretty incredible story as is and hollywoodize it.

I just think it's a good bridge to spring, when bear season comes. Until then I can watch the movie and dream.

Foxtail
01-08-2016, 10:30 AM
I enjoyed it. It is long and sinetimes slow but still fantastic.

Sofa King
01-08-2016, 10:31 AM
is that the movie where his wife is played by that actress from prince george?

Fisher-Dude
01-08-2016, 11:19 AM
Oh, that's when a chinook blew in and DiCaprio said he "Saw 8 feet of snow melt immediately because of this global warming wind!"

And he claimed that locals in Alberta had never seen this warm wind before.

I'll pass on supporting an effing liar.

chrscott
01-08-2016, 11:20 AM
Pretty good movie, I enjoyed it.

The "no-name" actor playing Hugh Glass did not submit an Oscar-worthy performance IMHO.

That bear definitely deserves an Oscar though!

:-)

MtnBoy
01-08-2016, 11:22 AM
I worked on that film. I've worked in movies for 15 years and that was one of the most challenging films ever. The Director and his style of shooting were very "interesting". Many of the crew left the film very frustrated...

Bugle M In
01-08-2016, 01:10 PM
I watched it, and I would say I was a little disappointed, actually, more than just a little.
Leonardo's acting was fine, but, and some scenes had some real potential to be good.
But, like always, Hollywood goes too far.
It just takes reality, and blows it out of proportion.
Like, a guy takes a knife to the thigh, and a minute later, he has just hiked up a big hill....
I suffer with pain daily, and that stuff just makes me shake my head.
I actually read the Bio of the real Hugh Glass, after the movie, which thankfully, I watched thru streaming on I-net.
Just so many things that make us, who have been out in the cold, go no way!?
Could have been a great film, I suppose, as some of the cinematography was good.
There are some things that happen in the film, that I have been told people actually did do to survive etc.
But, all in all, Hollywood just can't help but overdue stuff, as if they can't figure out a way to portray a true story,
and somehow keep it real...or even close.

Carbonmatrix
01-08-2016, 01:38 PM
Watched it today, liked it a lot, loved the cinematography.

wos
01-08-2016, 01:43 PM
The book is good. Worth the read. I want to see the movie.

Jagermeister
01-08-2016, 02:11 PM
I think that they could have found a better actor to portray Glass. The only frontier movie that the "no name" should play is the story of Timothy Treadwell. It would be easy for him to assimilate into that role.

Mishka
01-08-2016, 02:42 PM
As far as actors go, it's Tom Hardy I'm interested in seeing in that film. Check out his performance in "Bronson".

Sofa King
01-08-2016, 02:52 PM
As far as actors go, it's Tom Hardy I'm interested in seeing in that film. Check out his performance in "Bronson".

that was awesome.

Tuffcity
01-08-2016, 03:17 PM
A movie best "borrowed" off the 'net... glad I didn't pay to see it.

Pinewood
01-08-2016, 05:23 PM
I had very high hopes, only to be let down. He would have been dead so many times over in real life from some of the things that happened to him. I felt the whole movie never really got going and the climax just didn't cut it. Tom Hardy delivered a solid performance.

Husky7mm
01-08-2016, 06:18 PM
I watched it, and I would say I was a little disappointed, actually, more than just a little.
Leonardo's acting was fine, but, and some scenes had some real potential to be good.
But, like always, Hollywood goes too far.
It just takes reality, and blows it out of proportion.
Like, a guy takes a knife to the thigh, and a minute later, he has just hiked up a big hill....
I suffer with pain daily, and that stuff just makes me shake my head.
I actually read the Bio of the real Hugh Glass, after the movie, which thankfully, I watched thru streaming on I-net.
Just so many things that make us, who have been out in the cold, go no way!?
Could have been a great film, I suppose, as some of the cinematography was good.
There are some things that happen in the film, that I have been told people actually did do to survive etc.
But, all in all, Hollywood just can't help but overdue stuff, as if they can't figure out a way to portray a true story,
and somehow keep it real...or even close.

X2 fully agree

Cyrus
01-08-2016, 06:46 PM
thought the movie was slow and boring...animal cgi was not good..

mackdaddy
01-09-2016, 09:39 AM
Eh MtnBoy my brother worked on that film also....Ryan Monro (dolly grip) do you know him?

Backwoods
01-09-2016, 09:46 AM
headed to it tonight at 7:30

lovemywinchester
01-09-2016, 10:00 AM
Great movie!! Crazy action and amazing cinematography. The scenery alone makes it worth seeing this. Like the guys said before there are a LOT of things that make any outdoorsman shake their heads. A little too much swimming and wading in iced up rivers. My main goal in any winter environment is to stay DRY, lol!! Just enjoy it for what it is, a Hollywood western.

MB_Boy
01-09-2016, 11:53 AM
Oh, that's when a chinook blew in and DiCaprio said he "Saw 8 feet of snow melt immediately because of this global warming wind!"

And he claimed that locals in Alberta had never seen this warm wind before.

Haha....never liked him and upon reading that a month or so ago it just reaffirmed my dislike.

MtnBoy
01-09-2016, 12:27 PM
Doesn't ring a bell. But he would have been on one of my boats prob.

Bugle M In
01-10-2016, 12:06 AM
I got to ask??
I know you hear elk bugling in the opening scenes, and that he shoots ...a supposed bull elk??
But, from that crappy Computer Generated Animal, it looks as if right before he shoots..it looks more like a Moose.
Seconds before, it could be said it looked like an elk....anyways...
The Computer graphics of the animals was not all that great...
I guess the blew the budget on the computer generated grizzly.
I think I might have to download "Jeremiah Johnson" again, it's been years and years since I watched it.
This movie did make think one thing...
What was the best all around "old west" movie?? and I'm not really talking about "Cowboy Westerns".
Something more on the lines of "old day trappers, or settlers" who tried to survive out west, when there really
wasn't much out there but themselves.

hntcrazy
01-10-2016, 11:59 AM
dont pay to see it .

pubfilms.com

it was ok

J_T
01-10-2016, 02:21 PM
Yup. Obviously risk of infection and wound recovery where different back then.
Its hard to watch a guy wading thigh deep in snow one minut and horses running on top of it the next.
I enjoyed the movie though.

Fella
01-11-2016, 12:53 PM
Take it for what it was, a Hollywood movie. I liked it, but it's a "1 and done" type of movie.

doubled
01-11-2016, 01:49 PM
Was disappointed like many. Too many scenes where I looked at my wife and said "No honey, that does not happen in real life". Lots of action and that's about it. Surprised it won awards, must have been some bad movies out.

David Heitsman
01-14-2016, 05:11 PM
12 Oscar nominations, I figured as much.

badgreenbird
01-14-2016, 10:01 PM
I thought it was entertaining. GREAT cinematography as has been said. CGI animals were pretty bad. That said, the griz attack scene was well-choreographed. The behaviour of the artificial mama bear seemed accurate, from what I've read of bear attacks. LOTS of artistic license taken with reality in general. And I really couldn't figure out where they were. Story set in the Dakotas I think? But they were in & out of the mountains, prairies... heading 'south' and downstream into the prairies and kept going and ended up back in the mountains? whatever... a decent story, but I'd be surprised if it won Best Picture.

Getbent
01-15-2016, 10:55 AM
Not a fan and I am a movie guy...they are movies after all... but this was pretty far fetched at times with like others have said things didn't add up and really wasn't a great movie at all

Leaseman
01-15-2016, 11:33 AM
Good article in the Province paper today about how the bear attack was done!! Worth the read!

MB_Boy
01-15-2016, 12:14 PM
Good article in the Province paper today about how the bear attack was done!! Worth the read!

A buddy of mine was the bear! :mrgreen: Also another buddy is nominated for Production Design.

DarekG
01-15-2016, 12:26 PM
I worked on that film. I've worked in movies for 15 years and that was one of the most challenging films ever. The Director and his style of shooting were very "interesting". Many of the crew left the film very frustrated...

I need to ask, what was so hard about it? Because it was frustrating?

Nobody actually fought a bear. Nobody actually sustained injuries. Nobody actually lived in the woods for years. What, it was a bit cold and gear needed to be hiked out? Sounds like a vacation for anyone that enjoys hunting.

01-17-2016, 01:05 PM
Well after seeing the movie ...... And personally having three confrontations with GBears, ( nothing like the movie ) the realism of the sounds of the pre attack were bang on in my opinion. To those that have suffered the actual attacks, wow, cuddos to you for having the will and luck to survive. What a nasty experience.

guntech
01-17-2016, 01:31 PM
It was an interesting movie but Hollywood had to bump it a bit...

I laughed a lot watching it...

The Indian 'sniper' up the tall very bushy tree with his bow and arrows in the middle of the camp the Indians were attacking...
A tree that had caught fire and fell over suddenly as the fire got going a bit...
Flintlock single barrel pistols that fired two shots...
Flintlocks that never misfired in the cold wet weather...
After being submerged and flowing downstream wearing a huge hide in freezing weather... manages to crawl out on an ice shelf at the edge of the river... and in the next scene has a small fire going (at the edge of the river) and apparently everything is dry and good to go...
Guts a freshly dead horse (very nice guts lifted out extremely well) and crawls inside to warm up from the storm blowing in... and the next morning pops the frozen ribs apart and crawls out...

01-17-2016, 02:01 PM
It was an interesting movie but Hollywood had to bump it a bit...

I laughed a lot watching it...

The Indian 'sniper' up the tall very bushy tree with his bow and arrows in the middle of the camp the Indians were attacking...
A tree that had caught fire and fell over suddenly as the fire got going a bit...
Flintlock single barrel pistols that fired two shots...
Flintlocks that never misfired in the cold wet weather...
After being submerged and flowing downstream wearing a huge hide in freezing weather... manages to crawl out on an ice shelf at the edge of the river... and in the next scene has a small fire going (at the edge of the river) and apparently everything is dry and good to go...
Guts a freshly dead horse (very nice guts lifted out extremely well) and crawls inside to warm up from the storm blowing in... and the next morning pops the frozen ribs apart and crawls out...

completely agree with ALL ABOVE ....... that's Hollywood

ruger#1
01-17-2016, 02:04 PM
I fell a sleep watching it. I must of missed the good parts. Would I watch it again. NO

01-17-2016, 02:20 PM
I saw the movie last night. I give it 3 stars out of 5. Great cinematography, but somehow the story wasn't as engaging as it should have been. Some Hollywood embellishment for sure, and the animals often didn't look realistic. The actual story of Hugh Glass really doesn't need embellishment. It's one hell of a story.

REMINGTON JIM
01-17-2016, 03:07 PM
I fell a sleep watching it. I must of missed the good parts. Would I watch it again. NO

You prob would have not fell a sleep if you hadn't drank a 26 er of Whisky before you went there Dumb Azze ! :p LOL Buddy RJ

ruger#1
01-17-2016, 05:27 PM
I watched it at home. And stop using my nick name. For being my brother. You are not very nice to me.

Fish Nutz
01-17-2016, 06:32 PM
Not impressed. Seemed like certain scenes wouldn't end and never really got going as far as I'm concerned. It was ok but not worth the price of admission imo

REMINGTON JIM
01-17-2016, 06:34 PM
I watched it at home. And stop using my nick name. For being my brother. You are not very nice to me.

Quit telling everyone that - MOMs already PISSED at you ! Dickhead ! :wink: RJ

JIL_24/7
01-17-2016, 11:18 PM
Hated it. Hated it. Hated it.
Cgi was terrible. Story was worse.
Cinematography was awesome, but I get outdoors and see it my self quite a bit.
Could have been a great movie. A great movie. If they hadn't changed so many elements to try and make a good movie. Maybe that's why I am most disappointed I paid to see it.

Robin
01-17-2016, 11:37 PM
I thought it was a yawner, kind of a Seraphim Falls remake. There were a lot of little bits that didn't seem right, and I think the continuity person should have been fired.

tuner
01-18-2016, 01:14 AM
Aside from Tom Hardy's performance, and the beautiful landscapes and cinematography, the movie did not live up to expectations.