PDA

View Full Version : Grizz Hunt 2007

todbartell
05-18-2007, 11:58 PM
well tommorow after work I head out for my first grizz hunt ever, a short 3 day trip to my LEH area where all three of us going have draws. Probably will hunt another 3-4 day trip towards the mid part of June

apparently the area is still covered in snow and access may be limited (thanks for the info BCBucks http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif much helpful and much appreciated), but we'll take a look and hopefully be able to get into some areas that the bears are active in

area is between Bear Lake & Tumbler Ridge, only a 3-4 hour trip from home here. Im all packed and ready, guns sighted in perfectly, camera is charging, extra batteries packed, should be fun! 8-)

I'll report back on Tuesday night with some news :D if I die, well, Im sure Gatehouse will fine out sooner or later and let you all know :lol:

Will
05-19-2007, 12:05 AM
Best of Luck........Shoot straight and don't get ate ! :lol:

Gateholio
05-19-2007, 12:49 AM
Bartell may not get out of this one in one piece.:lol:

Although he does have his powerful 8mm STB rifle along, to help him out!8-)

lip_ripper00
05-19-2007, 01:05 AM
keep us informed I have a tag in B but don't know how river levels, snow etc We are Heading up in the next 3 weeks, waiting for the word to go.Good luck and have fun. If you don't make it back.....can I have your truck? :smile: :smile:

mark
05-19-2007, 07:23 AM
Whack a biggun! We need more grizz pics and stories here! I too am waiting for the snow to melt up north. :frown:

srupp
05-19-2007, 07:36 AM
Get a HUGE HAWG....good luck...

Markk..when do WE leave????

Steven

mark
05-19-2007, 07:56 AM
Hey Steve, are you saying you want to come along???? Even if you cant walk right now, Id pack you as a good luck charm! As for when I leave, well I have a contact no. in dease lake area, and Im wating for the snow to melt so theres some backcountry access. Maybe some local bear sightings. Either the first week in june or the second for sure!

Rackmastr
05-19-2007, 08:50 AM
Kill big man......shoot straight and hammer em hard...

Gateholio
05-19-2007, 09:26 AM
8mm Shooting Times Bartell

The best grizzly slaying cartridge out there!8-)

Elkhound
05-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Good luck man.....do a diary and take lots of pics. We want details

youngfellla
05-19-2007, 11:54 AM
8mm Shooting Times Bartell

The best grizzly slaying cartridge out there!8-)

That's funny. My uncle just picked up an 8 Mag. We were calling it the Shooting Times Dave, or 8mm STD :lol:

Good luck on the grizz hunt! Don't put too many holes in the hide 8-)

Fisher-Dude
05-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Did Bartell's mom sew his name in his underwear before he left for grizzly camp?

Good luck, lotsa pictures! 8-)

Gateholio
05-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Layne Simpson contacted Tod Bartell some time ago, and they created the 8mmSTB

It's new.8-)

todbartell
05-23-2007, 02:03 PM
well we got back late last night from an eventful trip

arrived 10pm Saturday night, got camp set up. Hunted Sunday from around 10am to dark. Saw two small blackies

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/GrizzHunt07/GrizzlyHunt2007018.jpg

not long after seeing that black bear we came to a spot where some blowdown fell across the road and since we had no powersaw we decided to head down the road on foot and check out to see how things looked

about 20 minutes hike from the quads we come around the bend and my hunting partner said "there's a bear!" I look up expecting to see a small black bear in the ditch ahead but my eyes see a hulking brown mass about 300 yards down the road. I raise my binocs and see the most amazing and impressive sight I have ever seen hunting. A HUGE hulking boar grizz the color of a chocolate lab is waddling down the road towards us, oblivious to our presence. The wind was perfect, in our face, so we sat down and I chambered a round. We decided my partner is to take the shot as he spotted it (we all had LEH)

The bear is about 250 yards out and getting closer with every pigeon toed step. Once he got to 200 yards or so he stepped off the road and into the trees. I told my partner to hold off the shot as he will come back to the road. Sure enough I see a spruce tree begin to dance as the bear rubs himself on it. We take this opportunity to close some distance on him and get about 30 yards closer, then the tree stops shaking and out he comes. The tree must of felt good as he turned around and headed back. We readied ourselves for the shot, and he soon stepped back out at a range of about 150 yards.

He is standing broadside facing the right, and my partner lets fly with his 300 Win Mag (180 grain Winchester Supreme Elite Xp3 ammo), going for a shot right behind the front legs. The bear lets out a roar and begins to spin himself onto the road, biting at his left side (exit side). As he slows his spin I crank him with the 8mm Rem Mag (200 grain Triple Shocks @ 3000 f/s) and at the shot he turns to the right and launches himself into the ditch and into the trees, as my partner lets a hail mary running shot go as he is swallowed up by the bush.

We listen and hear nothing, wait 15-20 minutes and head up to the spot where we last seen him. We find his tracks in the snow and begin to follow carefully on high alert. The blood is pretty decent and even in spots where the snow was melted, it was still easy to follow his path. After we tracked him downhill for 300 yards we began to get worried that maybe he wasnt hit as well as we'd thought.

700-800 yards down the trail (still steady blood) we're down on the river bottom. The bear then turned and followed the base of the mountain for about 1KM, taking us through every nasty piece of creek bottom and swamp that he could. We finally lost his trail 2 hours and almost 2km into the trail when he crossed a creek and we couldnt find the blood anywhere after a long search. The last 500y or so the trail was getting harder to follow, due to lack of snow and less bloood.

It was almost 7pm and we had a 2 hour hike back to the road so we had to abandon the search. :icon_frow It was extremely disheartening to say the least, for both of us. It was unbelievable the distance and ground he covered with that much blood loss. For 1.5 km he bleed every 5 feet, enough that a guy could follow the trail at a near walking pace. Absolutely amazing endurance. The bullet must of just grazed the vitals as a good hit to the heart lungs would result in a dead bear within 500 meters at the most, you'd think...:???:

todbartell
05-23-2007, 02:06 PM
the next two days were spent covering other areas in our zone, we found a sow grizz with 2 cubs (no pics sorry) and in total we saw 10 black bears in 3 days

here's some pics

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/GrizzHunt07/GrizzlyHunt2007024.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/GrizzHunt07/GrizzlyHunt2007031.jpg

todbartell
05-23-2007, 02:08 PM
http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/GrizzHunt07/GrizzlyHunt2007035.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/GrizzHunt07/GrizzlyHunt2007037.jpg

A part of me believes the grizzly is still out there, probably in a very pissy mood, but another part of me believes he finally ran out of steam and holed up in some nasty creek bottom, waiting and watching his back trail, waiting for us, now stiff as a board never to be found. :icon_frow

I'll be able to head out for one more 3 day hunt before the season closes, 2nd week in June.

The grizz had a seven inch front track and according to what I read that would make him roughly 8 foot? Id guesstimate him to weigh around 500-600 lbs and stand about 3.5' at the shoulder when on all fours. Like I said I will never forget that sight

Wildman
05-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Too bad.............but that's how she goes some times.

rollingrock
05-23-2007, 02:24 PM
Wow! Tod, shite happens, take it easy. I've never known you personally, but from your predator hunting posts I at least could say that you're a good shot. Things could turn out completely different than you planned while out hunting. But at least you tried. Basing on your bullet selection I have no reason to think that you were undergunned. But I think the first shot didn't do its job, that's when you usually lose your bear.

Phil
05-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Sounds like an amazing trip. Hope you have better luck when you're out next time.

jjensen20
05-23-2007, 04:36 PM
Tod the EXACT same thing happened to me and agaucher a couple years ago it was like you were telling my story, anyway i know how dishearting it is to have that happen and I often wander where that griz we hit ended up.....Like you said probablty holed up in a creekbed stiff as a board. Good luck in June!

dana
05-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Hmmm, loss for words Bartell. I could rip into you about how unethical you are for loosing a bear and taking a bad shot like you did to me when I wounded MnT but I won't. I think you probably are feeling it enough inside anyways. Welcome to the life of being a hunter. $hit happens.

steveo32
05-23-2007, 04:46 PM
All i can say is remember what you told dana about his hit on mass and trash and i am wondering how crow tastes:twisted: Too bad the bear is wounded but maybe if you are lucky you will have the same ending as mass and trash

Elkhound
05-23-2007, 04:48 PM
sorry for the loss of the bear. Happened to me once on a deer years ago....still feel like crap about it. Looks like a beautiful spot though

steveo32
05-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Dana you sure took the high road, I am not to sure i would ahve choose the same route, but then again it is bound to happen to everyone and liek you said $hit happens.

And like i said in the abouve post maybe you will get lucky like dana did on mass and trash

steve

BlacktailStalker
05-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Good pics & story. I would think that the initial shot would have been the one to make it count in the end and it just must not have been a kill shot. You can't get down on the fact you didnt try, you put some wear on the boots by the sounds of things, looking for him. Maybe go back and hunt the same area on your next 3 day trip and pound more ground towards where you lost him ?? By then there may be ravens on him too, so at least you know.

dana
05-23-2007, 05:09 PM
Steveo,
I admit I am biting my tongue as we speak. Now if this happened to me, I would continue to hunt that boar until I found him. If an old muley can take a hit in the shoulder with a 300 win and continue to live for 3 and a half more weeks in deep snow, I'm sure a grizz can do the same. I would not give up on that bear. I'd hunt it and hunt it and hunt it. But then again, that's me.

horshur
05-23-2007, 06:11 PM
That sucks---I think it was this winter that a member on here promoted Blood tracking dogs---I am sure he is not so far away from you though time is getting long now.(mooseman) It is a sick feeling for sure. BTDT like lots on here.

todbartell
05-23-2007, 06:18 PM
sloppy seconds on a 600 lb eggbeater. Thats life I guess

islandhunter
05-23-2007, 06:33 PM
That must have been intense following a wounded grizzly bear into thick bush!! I'm pretty sure alot of us on here have similar stories... but we're just not telling:wink:

dana
05-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Island Hunter,
"I'm pretty sure alot of us on here have similar stories... but we're just not telling"
Why is that? Maybe cause you don't like the mob mentality that guys like Bartell have promoted in the past???? Judging by his last remarks, I'm sure he hasn't learned a thing. Will happen again. And it won't always be sloppy seconds either.

mark
05-23-2007, 06:40 PM
That really sucks dude, I was looking forward to some more grizz pics! Dont feel to bad about it, it happens to the best of us for sure. You did your very best and that is all ya can do. Like others said, some hunters would not have tracked a huge, wounded, grizz, through the thick for 2 kms. Still a sick feeling though, been there!

steveo32
05-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Haha i forgot tod you are a super marksman, wow if you were shooting first i am sure the story would be so different. Everyone have lost a animal at one time or another, i have lost one mule deer that i hit when i was 15 and we tracked him for a good 6 hours thru blow down and up steep hills. I still feel sick when i think about it, but you live and you learn.

I have not taken a bad shot since and choose not to take the high risk shots because i have more respect for the animals i hunt then to let them suffer a slow painful death :cry:

steve

Will
05-23-2007, 08:48 PM
That sucks....I was hoping for some spine tingling tales from U on the return........but searching for a wounded bear and not locating it wasn't quite what I wanted to read about...sure sucks to hear that :icon_frow

I enjoyed the pics & Thanks for sharing the tale.....good and bad it's still Hunting right :wink:

MattB
05-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Haha i forgot tod you are a super marksman, wow if you were shooting first i am sure the story would be so different. Everyone have lost a animal at one time or another, i have lost one mule deer that i hit when i was 15 and we tracked him for a good 6 hours thru blow down and up steep hills. I still feel sick when i think about it, but you live and you learn.

I have not taken a bad shot since and choose not to take the high risk shots because i have more respect for the animals i hunt then to let them suffer a slow painful death :cry:

steve

LOL, what a load of bullsh!t. How many "MONSTER" muleys have you missed in the last 2 years? 5-6? 8)

todbartell
05-23-2007, 08:51 PM
150 yards broadside isnt a high risk shot, from a sitting position,

Will
05-23-2007, 08:56 PM
I do pride myself in good shooting, thank you for the kudos. My partner doesnt shoot much more than a box of ammo a year, like most hunters out there. He didnt even check his point of impact before the hunt, even with him switching types of ammo (whether that would cause a different point of impact is yet to be seen).
Well Kudos to you for the quick follow up shot....likely it will speed up the Bruins demise if nothing else.

However IMO for going out intentially after a Grizz with the above mentioned gear your Partner needs a big shot in the Pills :redface:

dana
05-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Bartell,
The whole point of being backup is to make sure that bear stays put. If you do any bear guiding you will learn that. It doesn't matter that it is sloppy seconds, as the backup guy, it is your job that that bear doesn't make it into the thick $hit. Punchin a lot of papper doesn't get you prepared for making those kind of shots count. Too bad regardless. Hopefully the bear isn't too pissed off. Would hate to hear of someone getting chewed on by a wounded grizz. That would be another reason why I personally would continue hunting that bear until I knew it was dead.

browningboy
05-23-2007, 08:58 PM
That must have been an experience, but sure don't envy you guys having to go in the thick bush (have to do what you have to do) after the grizz. Well one usually always learns from every experience so good luck in june and thanks for the pics, very nice terrain, by the way, spot any moose/elk??

todbartell
05-23-2007, 09:00 PM
saw a couple moose, tons of sign (droppings all over the road and wolf kills from the winter) and found a few sheds.

Sitkaspruce
05-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Someone should be punching their tag. When a client wounds an animal like you have described, their tag is punched and they go home. Shame on your partner for being such an idiot and mixing ammo just before a hunt, especially on a grizz. I am surprised that you would let him hunt without him sited-in properly, especially as you are so up on balistics and guns. But that is how we learn, and the animal has to pay for it.

Better luck next time and I hope you do go back and spend sometime looking for him.

browningboy
05-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Hey TB, when you guys were tracking him, did you hear him at all thrashing or WHY after a while? I know you guys gave him a while but just curious if you guys caught up to him at any time?
BTW, was your destination between tumbler and dawson??

todbartell
05-23-2007, 09:20 PM
BrowningBoy, at no time did we bump him or hear him ahead of us. Within 10 seconds of him dissapearing into the trees off the road all was silent. As mentioned alot of the tracking was done in the snow until we got down into the riverbottom, and he didnt stop at any point, just a steady pace (walking not running). Id guess what took us 2 hours to cover took him 15 minutes or less.

Destination was south east of Mackenzie

browningboy
05-23-2007, 09:24 PM
TB,
Alls one can say is make sure if one comes in eyeview, take your shot as it sounds like you know how to shoot, let the inexperienced stand by, anyhow thanks for the feedback and good luck.
BB

dana
05-23-2007, 09:30 PM
That's another fatal error you made there Bartell. When hunting bears, you need to discuss things out in the open with your partners. When I was guiding bears, I made all my clients shoot not only when they first pulled into camp, but several times throughout the week. Bears are a different creature. They can kill you. I don't put my safety on the line because some guy tells me he's an expert shot and never misses. I make sure he's telling the truth by shooting. A simple discussion with your buddy and you would have found out the answer before hand. Then you could have found a nice cutblock as your shooting range.

todbartell
05-23-2007, 09:41 PM
thanks for the insight

youngfellla
05-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Too bad about the grizz. I guess that's the way it goes sometimes. Hopefully you have better luck for the rest of the season.

Sounds like your partner needs to give his head a shake. Going after grizz without checking his rifle??:neutral: And going for a lung/heart shot to boot instead of trying to break down the shoulders.

One question though - why did you guys decide to trail him after only 20 minutes?

StoneChaser
05-23-2007, 09:57 PM
All i can say is remember what you told dana about his hit on mass and trash and i am wondering how crow tastes:twisted: Too bad the bear is wounded but maybe if you are lucky you will have the same ending as mass and trash

todbartell
05-23-2007, 10:04 PM
One question though - why did you guys decide to trail him after only 20 minutes?

well we figured he wouldnt of gone far, turns out he was already a couple km away by the time we headed in. I would of given him more time but out of the 3 of us, 2 of them wanted to go in. I wasnt about to stand on the road while my two hunting partners are following up the trail

Timbow
05-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Hey man, that's unfortunate. Now it's one of those trips you'll remember as "what if....."

My speculation from what you wrote about the bear going down hill to a river is a sign he had something major hit, bone or whatever. To him going downhill has the least resistance and by going to water is another sign of possible shock. If he was in good shape he probably would take you up slope where he could watch out below him for anything following while he rested. I think there's a good chance he didn't make it....but you never know. Grizzlies are very tough to put down.

Just my 2 bits.

StoneChaser
05-23-2007, 10:10 PM
Sounds to me like JR simply had a case of Grizz Fever and slapped the trigger, as it takes a lot to miss vitals at 150yds on a grizz, even with a rifle that is partially sighted in (a big mistake too).

My guess is a gut shot or a low hit through the tricept or brisket (no bone busted)...definately no vitals.

Too bad though!

Brambles
05-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Wow, sorry for your misfortune, you'll replay the moments over and over again in your head trying to figure out what went wrong. Don't know who your hunting partner is but he deserves a slap or two for not making sure his rifle was shooting true. At 150 yards and a backup shooter I would have done it differently. I always make sure my partner and myself are on the same page. You only have one chance to make it right.

Of course hindsight is always 20/20, you probably thought the last thing that would be waking down the road right to you would be a monster grizz, and actually having a tag for it.

dana
05-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Do you ever get your nose out of Dana's A$$?

I've never seen a more persistant leg humper...get off of his coat tails man!

Simply amazing!

Stone,
There is no doubt MnT was a team effort and Steve was everybit a part of that hunt as I was. He was just as persistant at trying to finish the job. In 2 seasons, Steve has been in on two 200 inchers hitting the ground. He ain't riding no coat tails. I'm sure he took it personal, just like I did, when Bartell and his "kick-em while he's down" followers attacked me relentlessly when I wounded MnT. Do you blame him for wanting see Bartell squirm on the hotseat a little? To me it looks like the man that could do no wrong just F###'d up big time on this Grizz. I don't think he was prepared either. A backup gunner needs to finish the job, that's why you have them when you are hunting grizz.

bigwhiteys
05-23-2007, 10:36 PM
Crappy Deal on the hunt and how it ended... Slap your buddy around a bit... I am sure he feels he worse... Mistakes happen... It's when you continually repeat the same ones that you need to have your head checked.

Of course hindsight is always 20/20, you probably thought the last thing that would be waking down the road right to you would be a monster grizz, and actually having a tag for it.

I think that's why...

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Happy Hunting!
Carl

StoneChaser
05-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Stone,
There is no doubt MnT was a team effort and Steve was everybit a part of that hunt as I was. He was just as persistant at trying to finish the job. In 2 seasons, Steve has been in on two 200 inchers hitting the ground. He ain't riding no coat tails. I'm sure he took it personal, just like I did, when Bartell and his "kick-em while he's down" followers attacked me relentlessly when I wounded MnT. Do you blame him for wanting see Bartell squirm on the hotseat a little? To me it looks like the man that could do no wrong just F###'d up big time on this Grizz. I don't think he was prepared either. A backup gunner needs to finish the job, that's why you have them when you are hunting grizz.

Dana, I'm not blaming you for giving TB a hard time...he rode ya pretty hard on that thread, and I agree his partner screwed up.

I'll refrain from commenting on the rest of your post though...it'll just start a flame war, and distract everybody from chewing out todbartell:mrgreen:

dana
05-23-2007, 10:56 PM
I have to admit, either Bartell has bigger nuts than most give him credit for or he is way more stupi.... ummm well.... he didn't think about the consquences of posting a story like this. :)

One Shot
05-23-2007, 11:16 PM
Wear light weight boots and take some one with big feet who you can out run. Good luck. PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES........:-D

Mik
05-24-2007, 03:56 AM
Sounds like you had an awesome hunt, my 2 bits...shoot the legs, break the bones. Bin' there- done that! It took 3 days but we finally found the Grizz. We tracked him all over the mountain thru creeks and in the end he backtracked and wasn't that far from where we initially shot him. He ended up under the roots of a tree, almost all hidden.We knew we were close when we smelled him:eek: It was a cool dark spot and yes the hide was still good-no hair slippage::smile:. This is one tuff animal! What would I do next time..shoot, shoot and shoot again till he drops!

todbartell
05-24-2007, 08:23 AM
he didn't think about the consquences of posting a story like this. :)

consequences? :mrgreen: this is the internet, buddy

bayou
05-24-2007, 08:55 AM
Well wont say much for that will oviously go no where, but if I read the story right and you lost the tracks at a creek I would of followed the creek and would have been in there the next day, the next day etc. personally I feel the animal deserves that and you shouldnt be off looking for another.

Will
05-24-2007, 09:01 AM
Your Partner needs a Bigger Gun............:mrgreen:

Seeadler
05-24-2007, 09:21 AM
Did somebody at least cut their tag?

rollingrock
05-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Did somebody at least cut their tag?

I think you don't cut your tag until you have reasonable ground to believe that the animal is dead somewhere. If the bear could still go that far and was able to get to water source I'd say he had a big chance to survive.

Fisher-Dude
05-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Your Partner needs a Bigger Gun............:mrgreen:

Only Premium Bullets fired from a Gigantic Magnum will penetrate the thicker, Pollution enhanced hides of Modern Super Animals :lol:

If some's good, more's better.

todbartell
05-24-2007, 09:34 AM
I agree

and before Dana has a chance to agree I will remind us that he didnt cut his tag on Mass N Trash, and if he did he wouldnt of been able to pursue him in the following weeks :)

Id love to be able to hunt every day but there is this sad reality called employment that often gets in the way

Seeadler
05-24-2007, 09:44 AM
I think you don't cut your tag until you have reasonable ground to believe that the animal is dead somewhere. If the bear could still go that far and was able to get to water source I'd say he had a big chance to survive.

Getting shot and leaving a heavy blood trail is reason enought to cut an LEH tag.

rollingrock
05-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Getting shot and leaving a heavy blood trail is reason enought to cut an LEH tag.

That doesn't fit in my definition of REASONABLE GROUND. A grizz can spill as much blood as two or three times of a black bear's, judged by its size.

But I do hope that Tod go back there, find the same bear and bring it back home.

Seeadler
05-24-2007, 10:04 AM
That doesn't fit in my definition of REASONABLE GROUND. A grizz can spill as much blood as two or three times of a black bear's, judged by its size.

So anything less than a recovered animal is not REASONABLE GROUND?

StoneChaser
05-24-2007, 10:04 AM

So you get stopped a month later by a CO w/a cut Grizzly tag....how do you go about explaining the lack of a CI when/should he check it?

Until you have the critter in posession, I'd not cut the tag when they are a critter requiring CI's...too many potential problems.

However, the same thing can be accomplished by not killing another bear this spring (should the hunter feel that is what is "ethical").

Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others:biggrin:.

Seeadler
05-24-2007, 10:12 AM
So you get stopped a month later by a CO w/a cut Grizzly tag....how do you go about explaining the lack of a CI when/should he check it?

Until you have the critter in posession, I'd not cut the tag when they are a critter requiring CI's...too many potential problems.

However, the same thing can be accomplished by not killing another bear this spring (should the hunter feel that is what is "ethical").

Good point, I think you are right. In my opinion, someone needs to consider their tag "cut".

dana
05-24-2007, 04:37 PM
Bartell,
I didn't cut my tag cause I knew he was alive. It was only the internet dweebs like you that doubted that fact. I proved ya wrong on that one too didn't I? BTW, have you seen the new Muley Crazy Magazine? The entire story is in there for all to read. :)
To cut the tag of not is definately up to the hunters and how they personally feel about it. The CI thing isn't that big of a deal. I have a buddy that killed a mountain goat a couple of years ago but lost it. The goat made one last kick that sent him over a sheer vertical drop never to be found. He cut his tag and called the Ministry and reported it as a kill. They thanked him cause that really assists in their harvest data.
Personally, I wouldn't hunt another bear. I'd spend all my time trying to find the wounded bear. If you don't succeed, at least you can say you gave it your best shot. If you do succeed in finding him alive or dead, you then can have piece of mind.

Gateholio
05-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Wow, bummer...

150 yards broadside on level ground from a sitting position is an easy shot.

Something went wrong with the initial shot- If he had drilled it through the shoulders, it wouldn't have made it very far.

I wish everyone would spend a little time at the range prior to hunting season.:neutral:

Husky7mm
05-24-2007, 08:07 PM
"Who needs a magnum". Whats with the 8mmRM?:shock:Sounds like a great gun for grizz or moose. But "who needs a Magnum" right?:lol:Any ways I agree with the Shit happens therory. I watched my buddy shoot a mature bull moose right behind a shoulder at 30 yards with a 338WM 225gr and we never found that moose. I saw the bullet impact perfectly and 7 hrs later we never found that moose.:cry: Oh by the way, you will never hear me talking shit about him!

todbartell
05-24-2007, 08:43 PM
Im not talking shit about my partner, I will hunt with him anyday, he is a hard worker and is good company

:mrgreen:

Rackmastr
05-25-2007, 08:37 AM
Sorry to hear about your luck Tod. I had a similar incident when I was guiding a grizz hunter. He put a shot into him with a 300WBY and I managed to get 1 into him before he hit the bush. The bear bled like a stuck pig when we went in the next morning looking for him. He was an easy 8+ bear and the blood lasted for a good 500 yards before dying off. We never found that bear, even after going in with dogs for 2 days straight looking and grid searching miles of country. Its a true shame and the one thing that I look back on the most in my hunting history as a mistake, both on my part and the hunter's part.

Live and learn....I know how ya feel and thanks for sharin the story....

BCrams
05-25-2007, 09:11 AM
Tough luck with the grizzly hunt.

I would chalk it up as a learning experience.

shortroot
05-25-2007, 01:31 PM
TB,

Tough luck on your hunt. Always remember to have a little target session prior to hunting with someone, even more so when hunting dangerous game. If you are relying on your partner to save your life with his/her shooting skills and equipment you should have a bit of an understanding of what they can do.

Also, with grizz (any dangerous game for that fact) you need to have quick follow up shots, until it is no longer moving. I lost a wolf once due to not taking a follow up while it was spinning (for fear of ruining the hide), tracked it for over 3km, until he stopped bleeding and was showing no side effects of serious injury with his stride.

I now practice rapid shooting with my hunting rifles at the range. Emptying your rifle as fast as possible while remaining on target. I used this practice to take a grizz a couple of years ago. Seven shots (3 in the vitals, 1st shot floored him, second shot as he stood up and seventh shot as he turned back to look at me), (one in the neck and one in the hind quarters as he was spinning) and two misses later I had a nice 7'10" black boar down less than 30yds from where he was first standing.

First 4 shots were taken in less than 6 seconds, reloaded (clip), next 3 shots were taken within another 6 seconds. Then reloaded both clips in case he wanted to move more before going up to him. These shots were between 100 and 150yds.

My message with grizz is shoot-shoot-shoot until you are empty, reload, shoot-shoot-shoot. Keep shooting until you can no longer see him or until there is no question whether or not he is dead. I know it is not possible to have multiple shots all times, but in this situation it sounds like a couple more were possible.

With 2 shooters, someone should have have targeted bone (shoulders) and the other vitals. Since you both had tags, shoot at the same time, one wasn't REQUIRED to be back-up, you both had the right at first shot. If I were hunting with a partner and we both had tags, it would be a simultaneous shot for first shot, but as to whose bear it would be that would be determined prior to first shot. Doesn't matter who delivers the kill shot, just ensure a dead bear.

Shit happens to every one, no biggie, but remember that when it comes to flaming others.

Good luck later in the season.

steepNdeep
05-25-2007, 01:55 PM
Thanks for sharin' the story - most wouldn't have the nuts. In my experience with bears - they are tough and I'd keep shooting 'til they ain't movin'... I'm sure your pard' is kickin' himself about the gun (and he should).

When I first started hunting, I shot a big cinamon behind the shoulder from 30 yards and clipped him on the hump as he headed for the thick sh!t. We tracked him for several hours the next day with hounds... There was a large b. trail for the first 100 m and then it petered out. 2 weeks later I videod him in the same spot - lookin' no worse for wear!?! I knew it was him because of the big V in the hair on his hump where I skinned him. I see him every year now, but figure he's paid his dues... 8) I'd keep hunting that grizz boar...

As for flamin' - the ethics police on the internet are f'n unbelievably hypocritical... It's funny to see in come around on someone! I'm sure it will on most...:wink:

Will
05-25-2007, 07:36 PM
2700+ Views !!! :o............TB sure draws a Crowd :cool:

Gateholio
05-25-2007, 07:38 PM
2700+ Views !!! :o............TB sure draws a Crowd :cool:

it's that sweet muffin ass of his...

:wink:

Will
05-25-2007, 07:40 PM
it's that sweet muffin ass of his...

:wink:
I've heard about it :-D
......but alas.....No Hunting trip invite for me as of yet:cry:

X-man
05-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Too bad about the bear!

That is why my hunting buddy packs a 375 and I pack a 416.....SH$$ happens.

Big guns really do help when things go bad. The first shot may still have been bad but yours would have pounded the piss out of the bear....at the very least there wont be a 2 mil track.

Kudos for following the bear...Takes big nads doesn't it?

Rubicon500
05-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Hey Tod sounds like you and your Partner need some shooting Lesson!!:mrgreen:

boxhitch
05-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Tough turn of the cards, guys. Shitty happenings.
Sounds like you had him , dead nuts. What kind of blood was he spewing ? Single lung shot maybe?
Good on you for folowing up, though only until dusk :).
I think I would hav been back after him for the next couple of days, given the time.
TB i'm sure your shot must have helped things, as the TSX are a thing of legend (or did someone myth thumpthing? )

todbartell
05-27-2007, 01:36 PM
dark red blood, maybe a low liver hit

X-man
05-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Where do you think your shot went or was it just an attempt to shut down an escaping bear?

todbartell
05-27-2007, 07:20 PM
when I squeezed off he was spinning in a quartering away angle, facing the left. Held mid body aiming for the offside shoulder (right side). Once I fired he turned and within 2 leaps he was off the road and into the bush. Checked my POI this afternoon and I am +1.5" @ 100m. And yes of course it was an attempt to shut down the bear, but it didnt pan out too well. I'd aim for the same spot if I had to do it again

Doug
05-27-2007, 08:55 PM
what a bunch of sanctimonious pricks.........

Pretty well anybody who has hunted a fair bit has lost an animal. It isn't a happy thing when it happens, but it happens nonetheless. Most hunters with whom I am familiar would consider a long trailing job to a point where it is impossible to carry on to be an honest end to a hunt. Most would not go and hunt and hunt and hunt in the days following for who knows what after there is no trail to follow.............

I do consider it absolutely unacceptable, not to mention STUPID, to embark on a hunt without sighting in a rifle, however.

Big time shitty, for the bear, and for the hunters.

Doug

Stone Sheep Steve
05-28-2007, 09:01 AM
I heard a TSX to the posterior of the cranium from a backup shooter stops them in their tracks. Not sure if it's true or not:roll:.

Crap happens.

SSS

dana
05-28-2007, 04:35 PM
what a bunch of sanctimonious pricks.........

Naw, I don't think so. I think Bartell is just reaping what he sows is all. You see he can be the biggest sanctimonious prick on the entire site. :biggrin::biggrin:

mrdoog
05-28-2007, 09:29 PM
"sanctimonious"

-OK, Alpha Males, use "sanctimonious" in a sentence that is
non-confrontrational.
-First to submit a winning post gets a Timmy's XL of your choice.
-I love the hype, but face it, you're both great hunters, your honesty about missed kill shots is admirable.

Gateholio
05-28-2007, 09:50 PM
Guys, lets keep the insults to a bare minimum, please...

GoatGuy
05-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Sounds like a learning experience for all - sharing this info has probably helped a lot of folks on this board.

Personally would have headed back the next day and gone in after him. Had to do that a couple times; usually find the bear within the first 4 hours. My buddy spent close to a whole day going after a wounded grizz two weeks ago - end result was some quick shootin' and an 8 1/2+ footer on the ground.

Live and learn.

todbartell
06-01-2007, 08:53 AM
all packed up and leaving after work today at 6, back Monday night

Doug
06-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Good luck, bud!

Doug

Tarp Man
06-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Tread carefully, and straight shooting. This time take some pictures if time and circumstances allow.

Gateholio
06-01-2007, 09:13 AM
Make sur eyou are the shooter this time8):wink:

Gus
06-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Walk slow, shoot fast! Hope she pans out a little better this time

Elkhound
06-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Good luck......we want details and pics still.

3kills
06-01-2007, 02:30 PM
good luck bartell u better dump one this time or no soup for you!!!

Fisher-Dude
06-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Don't forget some clean underwear just in case you find him in the thick stuff! Good luck, I'm looking forward to the pics.

Will
06-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Don't forget some clean underwear just in case you find him in the thick stuff! Good luck, I'm looking forward to the pics.
Perhaps this is why BHF said He never wears any.........:o:o:o

Seeing how it didn't work the 1st time...Good Luck again :wink:

todbartell
06-04-2007, 11:19 PM
http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/GrizzHunt07/GrizzlyHunt2007002.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/GrizzHunt07/GrizzlyHunt2007014.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/GrizzHunt07/GrizzlyHunt2007020.jpg

todbartell
06-04-2007, 11:25 PM
The morning of the first day we headed back to the area where we had shot the big boar 2 weeks ago.

Here's the spot where it all happened. Shot was taken from where the pic is taken from, the bear was about 145 yards down the road in the left ditch

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/GrizzHunt07/GrizzlyHunt2007034.jpg

We checked out the tree he was rubbing himself on the day we shot him, and HE IS ALIVE . There was a fresh bite mark in the tree and more chocolate brown hair stuck in the bark. This tree has been visited a ton over the years as there was pad tracks in the moss worn in from years of stepping in the same spot on his way to the tree

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/GrizzHunt07/Rub-BiteTree.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/GrizzHunt07/GrizzlyHunt2007041.jpg

We made a plan to come back and walk this road at first light on day 2

todbartell
06-04-2007, 11:29 PM
we got up early at 6 and made the 90 min ride from camp to the spot. The road goes through a swamp and rising water levels have the water 6" over the road, but we make it in no problem.

We hiked in to the end of the road but it turned out to be a dead end. We backtracked and tried the other side of the river, and saw a few black bear but no grizz sign.

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/GrizzHunt07/GrizzlyHunt2007092.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/GrizzHunt07/GrizzlyHunt2007084.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/GrizzHunt07/GrizzlyHunt2007053.jpg

We headed back to camp around 4pm for a late lunch and a rest before heading out at 7pm for an evening hunt in the next drainage over from our morning spot. Water levels are even higher, and we're pushing water with the front bumper of the F350. Sadly we cannot return to this drainage due to the flood.

todbartell
06-04-2007, 11:32 PM
view of the "road" behind us
http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/GrizzHunt07/GrizzlyHunt2007098.jpg

We head out in evening and spot a nice bull moose in the cut below the road.

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/GrizzHunt07/GrizzlyHunt2007057.jpg

We split up at 9pm and I headed down the road and my partners headed up a clover choked road leading to the top of a cut. All I saw was an old cow moose but my partners had three grizzly within 50 yards of them, feeding in the edge of the cut. Sow w/ 2 cubs all silvertips

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/GrizzHunt07/GrizzlyHunt2007059.jpg

todbartell
06-04-2007, 11:37 PM
the next morning we are almost into our zone around 8am when we round a bend and two grizz are on the road. They are smaller so we believe them to be cubs, but no sow in sight. Minutes later out she limps and they slowly walk away down the road. It seems sometime in the past she has been shot, as with each step she limps pretty good. This is about 30km from where the sow w/ 2 cubs we spotted the night before so doubtful they are the same bears

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/GrizzHunt07/GrizzlyHunt2007073.jpg

by 9am we had seen 3 grizz and 4 black bear and a couple moose

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/GrizzHunt07/GrizzlyHunt2007097.jpg

todbartell
06-04-2007, 11:41 PM
temperature was +33 but nice and breezy. Pretty brutal midday hunting conditions so we got back to camp and had some food and a couple hour snooze.

We headed out to check out a road we hadnt been down yet in our travels and we see some nice country. We come around a corner and two smaller grizz are on the road, both bolt for the timber. Another sow & cub. We see four more black bear and find a grizzly killed elk. A young bull judging by the skull, and we recover one of its whistle teeth.

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/GrizzHunt07/GrizzlyHunt2007101.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/GrizzHunt07/GrizzlyHunt2007106.jpg

No more time off to hunt this spring before the season closes on the 15th. :( I had a great time the six days we got to spend in the area. In total we saw 12 grizzly and approx 25 black bear. I am also very relieved to know the boar we shot has managed to survive and continue on with his routine. I will keep hunting this area in the years to come and hopefully will cross paths again.

TB

Phil
06-04-2007, 11:46 PM
Beautifull area. He'll be out there for next time. Sounds like you had a great time which is all that matters.

Doug
06-05-2007, 05:03 AM
That is mighty PURTY country for sure!

Doug

Stone Sheep Steve
06-05-2007, 05:13 AM
Nice pics Bartel!!8)

The first thing that come to mind for me about that limping sow would be a possible altercation with a boar...defending cubs when he comes looking for romance or a meal:twisted:.

No shortage of cubs ---good for the future!!

SSS

boxhitch
06-05-2007, 07:01 AM
That looks like big area to be hunting in, compared to watching a few slides in a narrow valley. Lots of room to roam, but this years snow seems to be hanging on late ?? Timing would be diff in normal years ?

No shortage of cubs ---good for the future!!

A good brood for sure.

Fisher-Dude
06-05-2007, 08:19 AM
The big boar is still alive...is this reminiscent of the MnT story? What can we call the big boar...Crash n Smash?

Hopefully you can put him on the ground next year...looks like really nice country.

Elkhound
06-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Looks like great country and beautiful views......landscape and wildlife......maybe next time. Thanks for the update

Gateholio
06-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Nice pics..

Glad to hear the big guy is still alive.

Lots of water!!:mrgreen:

3kills
06-05-2007, 01:18 PM
to bad u never got ur grizz but looks like u gotta hunt some nice area wich makes up for it eh....

Will
06-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Marvelous Country !
Just a thought though.....I'm sure different Boars will visit the same marking "posts" :wink:

Nice to think that the Ol Boar may be healing up to fight another day though....I sure hope so :-D

Thanks for posting the Pics and tales......Great stuff ! 8)