PDA

View Full Version : Ocean fishing

.300WSMImpact!
01-07-2016, 09:52 PM
I have not ever fished the ocean, my brothers and I are planning a trip to a resort of some sort and I am hoping for some of you guys that fish the ocean as to what time of year is the best fishing, we are mainly interested in halibut and spring, but idea of going when the coho are in is a exciting proposition (not sure when that is), any other ideas would be great to hear, or any tips on outfitters, thanks

bang flop
01-07-2016, 10:26 PM
Well you have lots of choices. Your biggest decision I to decide if you want to fish protected waters or if you can stand to fish the open seas, swells, wind and slop. West Coast open water is very productive... but I don't find it overly enjoyable.
I see many many guests of many lodges begging to be back on dry land. If you plan to fish open ocean pack motion sickness medications.

bang flop
01-07-2016, 10:29 PM
June 15 to Aug 15 is prime time. Coho becomes more abundant towards the later end of that time frame.

Bigger springs tend to show mid July to mid August.
Halibut... you should be good any time.

PM me if you want my recommendations.

.300WSMImpact!
01-07-2016, 11:13 PM
we were thinking in the inlets, guided trip this time, to maybe in the future use our boat, its a 16.5 kingfisher with a 90 hrsp, definitely scared of the big open water plus my boat is too small for me to be out on the big water

dmaxtech
01-08-2016, 01:00 AM
For a first time trip I would recommend Nootka Marine Adventures. http://www.nootkamarineadventures.com/ Guided and boat rental options if your feeling comfortable after the first day to go on your own. Inside and outside waters accessible most days. Also very good and friendly guides. They also have 3 locations in Nootka Sound now. Been going there for the past 3 years and booking for this year too.

fuzzybiscuit
01-08-2016, 06:58 AM
For a first time trip I would recommend Nootka Marine Adventures. http://www.nootkamarineadventures.com/ Guided and boat rental options if your feeling comfortable after the first day to go on your own. Inside and outside waters accessible most days. Also very good and friendly guides. They also have 3 locations in Nootka Sound now. Been going there for the past 3 years and booking for this year too.

I haven't used a guide service at Nootka but I have fished the area for the last 30 years. It would be a great area to go guided the first time with the idea that you would take your own boat back in subsequent years. A 16 1/2 foot boat is plenty for inside waters and would still be ok for trips to the outside on nice days.

bang flop
01-08-2016, 07:00 AM
It sounds like you have a solid boat for inside waters. Come to hardy or McNeill... bring your own boat... catching fish on your own boat with out a guide is much more rewarding.

If you come to Hardy I can give you a few pointers!

Many great places and guides all over the coast... need to narrow down to a general area you would like to go

Pacemaker
01-08-2016, 07:55 AM
x3 for Nootka Sound. I have been fishing there extensively for over 30 years. If you want to fish the inside waters, anytime after about July 10th through till about Aug 10th is absolutely prime. I also agree that Nootka Marine Adventures would be a great place to start. You can drive right to their land based resort, and you can make it as fancy or as simple as you want. We stay at Critter Cove Resort which is also a prime spot to be, and much closer to the fishing grounds. You can't go wrong with either spot. Give them both a shout to see if you can get in, and to see which one is more suitable to your needs. Tight lines!!

wideopenthrottle
01-08-2016, 08:27 AM
bring something for sea sickness just in case you are extremely sensitive to it...I have had boats all my life on fresh water lakes but when on the ocean sometimes ...yikes

.300WSMImpact!
01-08-2016, 09:25 AM
thanks guys!!

Brez
01-08-2016, 10:02 AM
Check out Murphy's Sportfishing based out of Port Alberny and Kyuquot. Been going for 5 years or so and usually catch our limits of springs, coho, halibut, ling, and the other "rock" fish. Boats are comfy - 26' to28', even in rough waters. Cheaper than bringing our own boats and gear and more successful. Check their photogallery on line and you'll be impressed. Oh, now they offer tuna trips as well.

Frango
01-08-2016, 10:10 AM
Pick any guide out of Ucluelet. If you go in August there will be Coho. Halibut is better in the spring. In June there will be more Columbia fish. In August mostly local fish. It won't be cheap unless you go with the Oak Bay group out of the Canadian Princess. They have a fleet of 30 ish foot boats locally called puke boats. They do catch fish. If you want a more personnel and longer experience open your wallet and hire a guide. My wife and I fish Ucluelet almost exclusively and our freezer is full. It can get rough offshore. Be prepared .It can also be like a mill pond. Good luck.

01-08-2016, 10:26 AM
totally depends on your budget.....
To me your request is pretty open ended..

High budget... Charlottes
Medium budget ... Central coast
Low budget .... WCVI.....

now dont read this the wrong way..... Ucluelet ... Nootka..... a buddy fished Nootka last year and my dad as well.. Fishing there was stellar..... But Central Coast can be way better.... the service at some of those resortes are phenominal...
Dad went to one, and the stories he had of just the service was astounding to me. It was "Self guided" so.. boat had bait, lunch, was warmed up, full of fuel and cleaned every morning.... bait guy was running around in the chuck delivering bait and letting them know where to go... he had a great time..... All protected water...

Nootka,,, if you went there you wont get the service like that but you will gain knowlage of a place you can do it yourself very easy... you can take that 16.5'er and moor it at Mutcha ,, have a room to stay in food to eat and go Cutplug in an inlet somewhere.....

there is alot more to it.....
if i was to have a spare jag of cash id do Central coast......

Sofa King
01-08-2016, 10:34 AM
it's ALL good.
it's island salmon fishing!!!!!
nootka is awesome though, and no need for a guide.
the best is the calm waters like an interior lake.

MB_Boy
01-08-2016, 11:00 AM
Lots of great advice so far as there are TONS of options for you which will be dictated by budget and whether you DO decide to take your boat or choose to guide to get an idea of what to do/where to go. If it's your first time.....go guided or hire a guide to come with you on your boat as it will help your success rate and you'll learn a ton.

Have fished Nootka before and really enjoyed however we fished 100% offshore there out on the 'highway' a ways out. Great fishing for all species and had some epic days on 'lake like' water. One thing to bear in mind on the West Coast of the Island (WCVI) is there are slot limits that come into play up and down the coast IF you are fishing inside waters. Have a look at this map and you'll see what I mean for Nootka last year.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/maps-cartes/notice-avis/25-ch-nootka-eng.html

Definitely not unique to Nootka when fishing inside as it's in place all up and down the West side.

Someone mentioned Kyuquot and I would agree.....it's awesome. I have fished there the past 8 or 9 years and it's a great place and no where near as crowded with boats as Nootka. My brother in law is part owner of a private lodge up there so I am the guide when we're there. I always try to fish offshore unless it's really snotty.....but then you're still offered good places to fish inside that WILL produce. Murphy's is a great operation with very solid, reliable boats and some great guides, have a local buddy in Kyuquot who guides for him and he says good things about his operation and Murphy's general mindset as a charter/destination operator.

Just in Kyuquot this year in early August and I was out fishing on the highway which is a ways out in flat calm seas.....and bringing LOTS of springs/coho to the boat each day and the bottom fishing was pretty good too. Had plenty of fairly good sized springs...LOTS of numbers, but only broke the 30lb plateau once with a 33-34lber.

I haven't fished the central coast but have heard fantastic things as well, we largely fish Tofino/Kyuquot and occasionally in Nootka.

If you guys are concerned about offshore fishing and seasickness......there are lots of remedies to look at but they can be very much individual as to the persons physiological make up as to their efficacy. I know guys who swear by the patch or wrist bands but others who say they are useless. I have a very good buddy who comes out to our Tofino trip every year and is renowned for seasickness....even in flat waters the slight swell kills him. He tried absolutely everything.....the patch made him feel disgusting but did sort of help with the seasickness; he just felt gross in his head and he said his mouth felt all spongy...haha. I finally got a remedy for him as I had tried for years. I give him Gravol before he goes to bed so he has meds in his system....plus Gravol can be drowsy for some so it helps him sleep. In the morning I give him Meclizine which is non-drowsy and it's been a godsend so we don't have to listen to him puke through the day claiming "it must have been something I ate?" :lol: That excuse has grown tired, haha. Now though he can come out and enjoy a full day with us with no problem and no side effects as to how he feels aside from the seasickness.

Only problem with Meclizine is it's no longer available in Canada where it was branded as Bonine or Bonamine....one of the two. There are options though if you happen to be in the states pick up some generic brand Meclizine at a pharmacy, just ask the pharmacist and they'll give it to you. It's dirt cheap in the generic form too.....I think I bought about 300 tablets for about $20 US. Other option is to talk to a Canadian pharmacist in a pharmacy that does compounding and they can make up something pretty similar. It is definitely more expensive but before I had the US stuff a pharmacist in Tofino made up something that worked for my buddy it was about $10 for 10 tablets or so....maybe a touch more but less than $15.

Definitely don't hesitate too long as operations are going to start booking up now for the more prime times. ;-) Also, figure out your budget sooner rather than later as it's going to dictate where you're going to go and some of us may be able to offer up more suggestions.

01-08-2016, 11:03 AM
There isnt a need for a guide there at nootka... But i would love to go to Central coast... i would love to take that trip and be catered to... at least once.
I spent alot of time in the Central Coast and Charlottes and really miss it...

bang flop
01-08-2016, 11:03 AM
totally depends on your budget.....
To me your request is pretty open ended..

High budget... Charlottes
Medium budget ... Central coast
Low budget .... WCVI.....

now dont read this the wrong way..... Ucluelet ... Nootka..... a buddy fished Nootka last year and my dad as well.. Fishing there was stellar..... But Central Coast can be way better.... the service at some of those resortes are phenominal...
Dad went to one, and the stories he had of just the service was astounding to me. It was "Self guided" so.. boat had bait, lunch, was warmed up, full of fuel and cleaned every morning.... bait guy was running around in the chuck delivering bait and letting them know where to go... he had a great time..... All protected water...

Nootka,,, if you went there you wont get the service like that but you will gain knowlage of a place you can do it yourself very easy... you can take that 16.5'er and moor it at Mutcha ,, have a room to stay in food to eat and go Cutplug in an inlet somewhere.....

there is alot more to it.....
if i was to have a spare jag of cash id do Central coast......

if size matters go to CC or Charlottes. There are big fish everywhere... but in higher proportion the further North you are.

I can only imagine the jokes to come on that statement...

01-08-2016, 11:13 AM
the reason for me to go north is not so much size... It is the service level... Gimme a boat and gear and drive me to nootka in August and size will be dead in the cooler.... and most fishermen can do that there....
but yes i aggree the chances of a 40-50+ are better off Langara! lol

MB_Boy
01-08-2016, 11:13 AM
One thing to add if you do end up fishing 'outside' waters with a swell or waves you may want to take seasickness meds purely as a "just in case". If you happen to start feeling ill that boat becomes a pretty darn small space and it sucks if you have to get taken in for both you and those you are fishing with. Have had to do that a couple of times with our buddy......it pains us. :wink: :tongue:

Sidekick
01-08-2016, 12:07 PM
I would definitely agree with Bang Flop, your 16.5 Kingfisher would be a great boat for Port Hardy. Maybe hit Port Hardy with a guided boat this year and then do it on your own the following year. Also gives you an idea of what you are up for while fishing for halibut and springs in that area, as every area has secret spots and 'special' gear to use.

Pretty tough hali fishing in the inlets on the west side of the island, although I have seen a few caught inside, most are taken out on the open water. Halibut are all over the open water on the west side of the island, although up in the north end, halibut are on both sides of the island (Port McNeill, Port Hardy), which is great for smaller boats like yours. Nootka, Kyuquot, and Quatsino are all great salmon and halibut combo places on the north west side, fairly easy to get to with your own boat, good inshore opportunities for salmon, and each place has all types of accommodations (campgrounds to the all-inclusive resorts).

Just my take on it, either way, your still fishing :) LOL

Sidekick

coach
01-08-2016, 12:20 PM
Simple solution.. Invite the coach and forget about a guide. Your boat is set up perfectly for a number of areas suggested above.

Sofa King
01-08-2016, 12:34 PM
downfall to a guide is you are on their hours.
much nicer to have your own freedom.
a guide is nice to learn an area though, but totally not necessary.
but, if you got the $$, go with the hassle-free fishing of a guide and sit back and relax.

01-08-2016, 12:41 PM
up side of a guide..... i have steel head fished all my live on this island..... and i still take a guided trip a year... you learn...
same goes for ocean fishing,,, you get to sit in a boat with a guy who does it EVERY DAY for the entire season..... if you are good .. you listen.... and have some fun learning too

.300WSMImpact!
01-08-2016, 04:44 PM
thanks for all the helpful information guys, its all helping make my mind up on what to do

fuzzybiscuit
01-08-2016, 04:48 PM
If you want the best chance on the coast for a fish over 50 pounds you need to go to River's Inlet and fish the boundary at the head of the inlet the second week of August.

I've brought in 3 Springs right at 50 pounds myself and once saw 3 different Springs being weighed in on 3 different days at Dawson's landing that touched 70 pounds. Just that 1 trip had me going back for years.

Now for number of fish, River's would be down the list.

coach
01-08-2016, 05:03 PM
If you want the best chance on the coast for a fish over 50 pounds you need to go to River's Inlet and fish the boundary at the head of the inlet the second week of August.

I've brought in 3 Springs right at 50 pounds myself and once saw 3 different Springs being weighed in on 3 different days at Dawson's landing that touched 70 pounds. Just that 1 trip had me going back for years.

Now for number of fish, River's would be down the list.

Unless you hit the mouth of the inlet and catch some of the migrating fish.

fuzzybiscuit
01-08-2016, 06:02 PM
Unless you hit the mouth of the inlet and catch some of the migrating fish.

No doubt that is true Coach, but there were always closer/easier places to get to for shear numbers of Springs. I was always looking for the big guy and believe it or not, a 50 pounder is not considered big by River's Inlet standards. Having said that, I have fished Hakai Pass twice and you cannot beat it for beauty and lack of boats when you get away from a few of the lodge hot spots. Motor mooching a hog cut plug a rods length from thick kelp beds doesn't get any better. Every hit could be a Tyee or a 20 pound Coho.

There are a few lodges at the head end of River's that still offer self guided trips. Now that I'm living in Fort Mac and don't own a big boat that may be an option.

For this year though it will be the second week of August in Nootka guiding my dad and his good friend. If nothing else it should be an interesting trip. If you see two half-asleep old guys up front of a 17 foot Whaler with a somewhat younger stud holding a Lucky in the back that will be us.8-)

Sitkaspruce
01-09-2016, 07:41 PM
If you are looking for a guide for the first year and then bring your boat the next, McNeill will be a great spot. Hardy is also good, however, 99% of the guides there will go where you will be hard pressed to go with your boat.

McNeill has lots of protected water, some pretty good salmon fishing around Malcolm Island and has good Hali. But it has limited ling, snapper and rockfish, plus you are limited to one per person/day for ling and snapper/rockfish. Good prawning and crabbing as well, plus a good chance to see whales.

Hardy has better fishing, but unless Duval, Castle or the Masterman Islands has fish, you are having to travel to find salmon, sometimes up to an hour or more across some open water where your boat and you will be tested by the weather and open water. Not a lot of fun unless you have experience and a good ocean boat. The Kingfisher is not. However, if the fish are around Duval and Castle, you can be into some good spring and coho fishing. The best thing about Hardy is that you can go north and get into area 11; 3 snapper/rockfish and 3 ling, plus better coho limits. But a long run to get there.

Bamfield is another spot to check out. Can trailer or run your boat from Alberni, good accommodations, gas and you can fish in the inlet, protected from the weather. Late July to the end of Aug is a good time.

PM me if you are interested or have any questions.

There is lots of locations to choose from, Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Cheers

SS

bang flop
01-09-2016, 11:39 PM
Take the coach and your own boat... Talk to Sitka, salty or I and come to hardy... you will catch fish... and have a blast. No need for a guide... more satisfaction doing it on your own.

Lots of great places to stay on the water here. Check out scotia bay. Literally 2 min from fishing.

Any place on the island is gonna be good June 15 to Aug 15.

I'm biased... pick hardy. Will get you set up

Jonas111
01-13-2016, 10:21 PM
Simple solution.. Invite the coach and forget about a guide. Your boat is set up perfectly for a number of areas suggested above.

But we can't catch anything when you and I go out. lol!!!

Lets catch some big rainbows this year. Let's do it coach.

Shuswap guy
01-13-2016, 10:49 PM
JP's Fishing Adventures out of Bamfield. Jon is a great guy, catches lots of fish, everyone has a great time. Priced well too.

http://www.jpsfishingadventures.com/

yama49
01-13-2016, 11:33 PM
Best trip ive been on was DIY trip to shearwater, 2 boats 8 buddies!!! Was unreal

TreeStandMan
01-14-2016, 10:36 AM
I've been fishing Kyuquot for the past ten years, and it's an exceptional place in terms of the people, the natural beauty, and the fishing. Your boat is a little small for those waters, although if you have good weather or fish inside the surf line at Spring of Thorton Islands (which is only open earlier in the season) you'll be fine if you use common sense. I have a personal connection to the community there, and know a bit about the local guiding outfits, most of which are excellent, although one or two might be best avoided (PM if you want more info). Above, someone recommended Murhpy's, who I understand is excellent. I know three of Murphy's guides, and those particular guys are experienced fishermen who grew up fishing the area. My dad has guided for Rugged Point Lodge, so I'm probably biased, but Rugged Point would be my pick if I were paying for guided fishing. They have a first class lodge, nice big Grady-Whites (far more comfortable than our ride), and some of the best guides out there.

Kyuquot is remote, but that's what makes it awesome.

Here's a pick of Dad and me from last summer with our limit on Chinook:
http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss10/Ryan_Vernon/Chinook_zpsyhilxpvq.jpg (http://s556.photobucket.com/user/Ryan_Vernon/media/Chinook_zpsyhilxpvq.jpg.html)

knockturnal
01-16-2016, 01:27 PM
I'm heading out end of June to spend some time on the island with my guide buddy. I can set you up with him if you want. I've never not caught fish with him and I'm sure you've seen my Facebook pics.

Alfonz
01-21-2016, 06:56 PM
we were thinking in the inlets, guided trip this time, to maybe in the future use our boat, its a 16.5 kingfisher with a 90 hrsp, definitely scared of the big open water plus my boat is too small for me to be out on the big water
One of the more memorable trips I took was to the Queen Charlottes. I had a 14 1/2 boat wit a 20 Yamaha. I had never fished the west side before. We went to Sandspit drove out a logging road found a launch and dock that seemed not to be in use. Launched the boat headed west through the narrows and went out on a nice day and fished marble island and had a great time on most species. Meet another guy out there in a small lund fishing springs he was from there and gave us some pointers. Excellent crabbing and we shot a bunch of deer too. We spent five days bring a freezer and a generator.
Get out there and apply yourself!