PDA

View Full Version : Keeping your gun steady for sighting in?

ajr5406
01-06-2016, 04:11 PM
Haven't shot at a range before but would like to sight in some new ammo and don't have a led sled. What do you use to make sure you have a steady gun for sighting in at a range in the absence of a led sled?

Dannybuoy
01-06-2016, 04:14 PM
sand bags work just fine ....

HarryToolips
01-06-2016, 04:17 PM
that's what I would do....I have a bipod on my main gun so I just do it with that..I actually tried the lead-sled, didn't like it as it kind of messed up my eye-relief..

Rackmastr
01-06-2016, 04:20 PM
Not personally a fan of a lead sled. Used one for a couple years and became a much more proficient shooter when I went to bags. I use a set of 'bull bags' in the front and a sand bag in the rear.

Dannybuoy
01-06-2016, 04:29 PM
Not personally a fan of a lead sled. Used one for a couple years and became a much more proficient shooter when I went to bags. I use a set of 'bull bags' in the front and a sand bag in the rear.
I don't know if I want to know what bull bags are .... nothing to do with the making of steers eh ?8-) jk

B.C.Boy(100%)
01-06-2016, 04:42 PM
Jacket, back pack, soft gun case, cushions, something that simulates sand bags, wooden blocks covered in foam or carpet, all of these sort of things can work, just have to use the imagination a little when in a pinch.
I built a rest years ago using 1x4 and small bits of plywood with foam and small sand bags and a car scissor jack for elevation adjustment, looks sort of like a leadsled, but DIY style.
Some folks have beat me to it, but sand bags will probably be your least expensive and least time consuming DIY rifle rest.

For a few dollars, Caldwell makes the '7 Rest', I use this, it's not heavy it will move after the shot, but just re-align it for the second shot and so on.

todbartell
01-06-2016, 08:11 PM
Sandbags front & rear

Busterpayton54
01-06-2016, 08:25 PM
I don't know if there's anything better than sand bags. They help mute your physical shooting form inconsistency while hard rest and bipods will amplify them. The "deader" the restyle better. Obviously you want your rifle resting naturally on the bags, with your sight on the intended target, no pushing/twisting the rifle to hold it on target.

ACE
01-06-2016, 09:18 PM
Sandbags front & rear

Same here ..... hard to beat this set-up.

Sinperama
01-06-2016, 11:04 PM
I don't recommend anyone to use sleds for any type of shooting.
Would you go to war or hunting, carrying a sled around?
I use bipods, my elbow, knee or just steady grab on barrel housing/bed.
Practice on those, you will be ready for most situations.
Keyword is "Practice".
Not "Go to the range for 3 rounders just before hunting trips".

ajr5406
01-07-2016, 08:13 AM
I don't recommend anyone to use sleds for any type of shooting.
Would you go to war or hunting, carrying a sled around?
I use bipods, my elbow, knee or just steady grab on barrel housing/bed.
Practice on those, you will be ready for most situations.
Keyword is "Practice".
Not "Go to the range for 3 rounders just before hunting trips".

Of course, I completely agree with this, and the "practice, practice, practice" part.

However, I want my gun to be spot on and as accurate as possible with my chosen ammo, so that my practice is improving my skill, assuming my gun has done its part by being well sighted in.

Stew
01-07-2016, 08:31 AM
Block up you rifle with sand bags.
I'm sure YouTube will have a bunch of vids on blocking up a rifle.

brian
01-07-2016, 08:38 AM
A sand bag elevated on a stable base for the front bag and a rear bag under the heel of the stock. Make sure the setup fits you well enough that your rifle won't move if you walk away from it. Keep the rifle stock situated on the front bag in the same way/place for every shot. Squeeze the rear bag with your off hand to make minute elevation adjustments. Sight in. Then get into your favorite field position to confirm your zero and adjust as needed.

russm
01-07-2016, 09:27 AM
Ive got a couple of caldwell bean bags and a short bipod, i was thinking of getting a lead sled just to use for initial site in ins and getting a good group and once centered going back to the bags just for practice.

Leaseman
01-07-2016, 09:56 AM

Just remember to have the bag under stock, don't put barrel on it!!

Squire
01-07-2016, 10:09 AM
A sand bag elevated on a stable base for the front bag and a rear bag under the heel of the stock. Make sure the setup fits you well enough that your rifle won't move if you walk away from it. Keep the rifle stock situated on the front bag in the same way/place for every shot. Squeeze the rear bag with your off hand to make minute elevation adjustments. Sight in. Then get into your favorite field position to confirm your zero and adjust as needed.

^This; I made a simple base for my sandbags out of 2x6 material. I ramped the front up with two pieces screwed to the base and one piece for the rear. I angled the cuts and beveled the corners because I am fussy but you could just stack square pieces as well. It really makes a stable base and brings my rifle to a comfortable height at the bench.

Shooting magnum calibers began to really test my resolve not to flinch. I just picked up a lead sled on sale over the holidays and I have already used it twice. No sore shoulder = no flinch! The only knock I have is not getting in close enough for proper eye relief. I will use the sled for getting my rifle's true zero and confirming bullet drop at distances then practice off the bags and/or my bipod. The sled is a great tool when you want to test your rifle, not yourself.

Dannybuoy
01-07-2016, 10:51 AM
Just remember to have the bag under stock, don't put barrel on it!!

LOL good point ! I should have remembered not to assume anything .
Lots of good tips here for the original poster especially the last post from squire

Gateholio
01-07-2016, 11:35 AM
An old pair of jeans, some zip ties and a shovel can make some improvised sand bags pretty quick.

RackStar
01-07-2016, 11:43 AM
I use a jacket, backpack, gun case. Anything really. I don't do any bench shooting, I practice field positions... There's no bench rest in the field. BUT the bench rest is the best way to zero a gun in... Period. Not knocking the range I see how it can be fun, but it's just not for me.