PDA

View Full Version : Rookie 2011 Moose Hunt

bang flop
01-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Well I have spent the past couple years lurking, and became a member just over a year ago. I enjoy reading about other struggles, triumphs and successes. There is so much that goes into hunting that non-hunters just can’t understand.

I am posting on previous hunt as I was pretty much blanked this year… plus I have been intending to contribute to the site for some time now.

The story…

As we all do, I rush mailed my LEH cards to Victoria… first time ever putting in for moose. Then the waiting game… finally check the online LEH… Success… Bull Moose “shared” drawn starting Oct 1st. The plans start to come together over the next couple of weeks. I had never gone moose hunting, let alone much hunting all together. My brother happened to be successful the year prior with the help of a friend who we call the moose guru. We got a couple tips about “calling” moose… so we had high hopes it would work…

Sept 30th… on the road, load up the camper and pick up groceries and head to a spot we have seen moose in the past. On opening day we climb to a knoll in a decent size clear cut… wind is howling… just as we crest the top of the hill (still dark) we hear incessant wheezing… at the time we didn’t know what it was, but now I clearly know it was some deer that didn’t like our approach in the dark. Anyway…. We get settled and start a long cow call…. And nothing…

Day 2 – similar story… no moose

Day 3 - similar story… no moose

Day 4 - similar story… no moose (depression starting to set in…). We change locations.

Day 5 - similar story… no moose. Now getting severely depressed as the writing is on the wall, so we head back to town to get cleaned up, have a shower, eat some good food and have a sleep in a quality bed. That night we stopped by the moose guru house… told him what was going on. He didn’t say much except “keep trying”. He did boost our moral a bit by showing us a barn full of moose racks… so the spirits are up a bit….

Day 6 – get into our blind… call, wait, call wait, call wait. All is quiet. We are sick of pretty much hearing nothing when all of a sudden we hear a very loud snort/wheeze sound. Did not sound like a grunt, but was loud and very very close. It was within 50 yards behind a small patch of trees. We heard the wheeze a few more times as the moose walked back and forth on the road just below the bank where we couldn’t see it… it was quiet for about a min when all of a sudden the bull comes up the bank… and into view… gun was already drawn, safety off…. Bull comes into view….. “BOOM!!!!!!” moose down… legs in air flailing away, when all of a sudden he rights himself, paddles down the bank and onto the road… he is running down the road when I get one last poke at him… a miss…. Oh F---! What just happened we said to each other…

bang flop
01-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Wow, reality is setting in. We F’ed up. We didn’t give up, we started following blood sign down the road. We also noticed that there was a prominent hoof mark from the moose, as he was likely running on 3 legs. As we tracked the moose the blood trail ran dry… now all we had was a hoof print every 3 or 4 meters… we ended up following him up the mountain a ways, and found small pools of blood where he obviously stopped and rested. Finally the little blood trail and hoof prints headed down the hill to the swamps…. Very very bad… it was thick dense swamp. My brother and I spent the next few hours looking for sign of our moose… nadda. Kept doing circles, but the blood and hoof prints seemed to just blend in with everything…

We decided to call off the search for the day… and come back tomorrow.

After a few wobbly pops at the fire, we come to the conclusion that I hit shoulder blade rather than hump or lungs. Lesson learned… and part of something rookies don’t usually think about until it’s too late. I saw small paddles, but my bro said he saw 2 twigs for antlers…

Day 7 – started with a sleep in, then back to the area we thought our moose was. Spent a few more hours looking for any sign. It wasn’t going to happen. We were dejected… as we won’t be harvesting that animal. The rest of day 7 was spent driving around.

Day 8 – more calling and driving … no moose.

Day 9 – Last day… more calling in the morning, driving in the afternoon… no moose. Called work and said “1 more day”…. Guess I have a good boss, it was granted.

Day 10 – very very last day… the morning went similar to most of the others… no moose. Decided to drive the main road and check out some of the side roads we had been skipping. It was getting late in the afternoon (3:10 pm), driving on the main road, literally falling asleep in the sunshine, come around the corner…. MOOSE! Awake in seconds, truck skids to a stop, stall the truck in excitement and jump out and let bullets fly… this time there was some serious lead flying… bull down… in the middle of the road to boot! We kept both guns on the moose just to make sure there was no running away either. Finally we feel seriously better, a couple high fives and bro hugs, and smiles you just can’t wipe off a new hunters face! Wow… a beauty bull! Took a few photo’s and then discussed how to deal with this massive critter… (I had only every gutted a deer or two before this). For what ever reason we halved the moose at the 3rd rib. Seemed to work very well except we cut the back straps in half… rookie move. My bro and I are both fairly big guys, so we thought we would just dead lift each half into my truck… Ass end first… not too bad. Now the front half… well dead lifting that into the truck just wasn’t going to happen, so I put a block around a tree up the bank, put a rope on the front half and pulled it up the bank with the truck…. Once high enough I just backed the truck up to the bank and we slid the front half onto the tail gate…. Tossed in all the rope, saw, axes, Gerry cans, water cans and whatever else I had in there and hit the road for town.

Got the bull to the butchers, used the tractor to hang, skin and quarter the moose before taking to meat locker. We ended up finished with a whisky in hand at mid night… all worth it.

bang flop
01-06-2016, 01:37 PM
All in all it was a great experience, full of learning and left us thinking about next year…

We are still upset that we didn’t harvest the 1st moose, but I guess things worked out for us in the end. We had 2 moose tags, but ended up with one moose at the butchers. It was plenty of meat for us.

I hope you enjoyed the read, and if you veteran moose hunters hear of young, dumb inexperience guys going out looking for moose the first time, offer some tips and try to pass along some of that valued experience you have… don’t have to go do it for them, just some advice as so many things can go wrong with inexperience.

bang flop
01-06-2016, 01:54 PM
im trying to embed the pictures but can't seem to figure that part out... any helpers on that so you don't have to click on my photo bucket link?

monasheemountainman
01-06-2016, 01:57 PM
click the bottom of the 4 bars to copy then paste on thread

bang flop
01-06-2016, 01:58 PM
i did that... pulled it from coaches posts... I'm waiting to thank him... hahahah

bang flop
01-06-2016, 02:04 PM
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t118/andrewpereboom/Mobile%20Uploads/Moose%202011.jpg (http://s158.photobucket.com/user/andrewpereboom/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Moose%202011.jpg.html)

bang flop
01-06-2016, 02:06 PM
all loaded up...
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t118/andrewpereboom/Mobile%20Uploads/PA101324.jpg

bang flop
01-06-2016, 02:09 PM
pulled this from the hide....

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t118/andrewpereboom/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160106_122420.jpg (http://s158.photobucket.com/user/andrewpereboom/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160106_122420.jpg.html)

bang flop
01-06-2016, 02:11 PM
Thanks COACH and MMM. Got pictures figured out.

monasheemountainman
01-06-2016, 02:44 PM
Great moose congrats!!!!

HarryToolips
01-06-2016, 04:18 PM
Congrats!!!.....nice rack on him..

Backwoods
01-06-2016, 06:27 PM
Nice work man beauty bull!! Congrats!!!

kilometers
01-06-2016, 09:30 PM
Nice moose. Thanks for the hunting story. It's been lacking on this site lately!

Fella
01-06-2016, 09:48 PM
beauty moose! thanks for the story

buckshot
01-06-2016, 10:05 PM
Thanks for sharing your story. Sure reminds me of my first moose! Can't wait for next September. Happy New Year.

Carbonmatrix
01-07-2016, 02:41 AM
Great story and nice bull! Sucks you couldn't find the first bull.

hunter1947
01-07-2016, 05:18 AM
Nice story was a good reed and nice moose thanks for sharing,,congrats to you..

Jim Prawn
01-07-2016, 10:42 PM
That is one damn good looking moose!
JP

ElliotMoose
01-08-2016, 08:58 AM
Beauty bull! Love when their antlers are dark like that. Is that a Browning BLR? What Calibre? I was looking at those the other day and they sure have a nice feel to them

bang flop
01-08-2016, 09:31 AM
Beauty bull! Love when their antlers are dark like that. Is that a Browning BLR? What Calibre? I was looking at those the other day and they sure have a nice feel to them

its a old Savage 99c in .308. Good gun, but a little heavy pull on the trigger. The lever action is kinda neat... i have sinced moved on to a bolt action rifle.

Glad you guys have enjoyed.