PDA

View Full Version : Best Arrow In your Opinion

kamloopshunter25
01-06-2016, 01:14 PM
Been looking at upgrading to higher end arrows (right now have been shooting gold tips and eastons) Was just curious what y'all think is the best bang for your buck and Interested to see what most people are shooting

BiG Boar
01-06-2016, 01:32 PM
Is it strictly price that matters to you? If not, how much is too much per arrow?

donny.brooke
01-06-2016, 05:17 PM
For killing easton fmj hands down. For 3d i shoot easton fatboy, not sure if there the best but work great for me.

allan
01-06-2016, 06:05 PM
X weave 400 full length.
They work fine for me out to 60. If it works why change it? I maybe buy a dozen arrows every other year.

OutsyderBC
01-06-2016, 06:14 PM
This would be very personal!

But the pattern would be down to what motivates you to shoot, so most hunters I know would use the same arrow throughout and that would be for hunting and 3D with the emphasis on hunting being that their motivation on the 3D's is probably to make better hunting shots so they would err towards weight for penetration and tolerating the less than flat trajectory that a target specific arrow would offer.
Personally, and I shoot solely traditional, I have done well in tournaments & Hunting with Beman Bowhunters/Easton Powerflights (which I am certain come out of the same factory & are identical) as a great twang for your buck arrer. I have gone up in price for arrows in the past but I am stingy and don't like loosing/breaking my arrows and always come back to these, if they are not costing me that much then I will be less worried about making the shot

kamloopshunter25
01-06-2016, 11:31 PM
Big Boar,Price not so much as performance and hunting is my primary focus

mjplewak
01-07-2016, 12:06 AM
What are 3D?

NorBC
01-07-2016, 01:06 AM
For trad I like the gold tip traditionals, they are tough. For Compounds the injections are pretty popular. I've always had good success with the xweave mentioned above. As for fmjs I am not a fan of aluminum arrows. Not tough enough in my opinion. If you shoot crap better than you shoot gold stick with it!

The Hermit
01-08-2016, 10:33 AM
I completely agree with Outsyder, play with the same toys you work with. Shoot exactly the same set up for practice (3-D) as used for hunting.

I have found that Gold Tip XT Hunter and Pro Hunter are about the toughest arrows out there and their weight and tolerance ratings are fairly accurate, especially the pro's. I have tried a bunch of the other arrows that cost more and less and found that many seem too brittle and therefore break too easily.

A side note, I have all the gear for fletching bare shafts etc but have given up on that process as the factory jobs seem to be so much better than my best efforts and for the difference in price my time is personally more valuable to me. I do still cut feathers and fletch my trad arrows but for the plastic flights on my compound arrow set up its factory all the way. Perhaps if I had more success I might feel differently but it is one of those tasks that I just get pissed off at having to do... I'd rather be the cook and let someone else clean! ;-)

RoscoeP
01-08-2016, 07:25 PM
I use mostly Gold Tip traditional and XT hunters and I now only shoot traditional. I fletch all my arrows with 5" Gateway or Bearpaw feathers. The GT arrows are pretty tuff but get the odd crack at the back of the arrow so I use bulldog collars and no problem after that.

greybark
01-09-2016, 12:46 AM
Those cracks at the end of your shafts can be avoided by placing a small amount of glue when setting your nocks . Its the nock coming out at an angle (bad shot) or vibrating in the shaft at target contact .that causes that crack and after glueing the nock can sometimes break instead of the shaft and the small amount of glue enables removal and replacement .
Some of those cracks are small and a nock glued seem to provide a shootable arrow but do not take the chance of a dry fire situation and the collars are a great fix ....
Cheers

Arrows are much cheeper than a new bow or limbs ...

Cheers

donny.brooke
01-09-2016, 08:40 PM
For trad I like the gold tip traditionals, they are tough. For Compounds the injections are pretty popular. I've always had good success with the xweave mentioned above. As for fmjs I am not a fan of aluminum arrows. Not tough enough in my opinion. If you shoot crap better than you shoot gold stick with it!

Just fyi . Full metal jackets are aluminum outer shell with a carbon core and are the toughest arrows out there.

NorBC
01-09-2016, 08:44 PM
Just fyi . Full metal jackets are aluminum outer shell with a carbon core and are the toughest arrows out there.

I strongly disagree. I've seen them first hand bend and break in the back country. Just my experience.

donny.brooke
01-09-2016, 09:01 PM
After a bunch of buddies play arrow botchi in a gravel pit im usually the only one shooting my original arrow (fmj) most guys carbons explode when they hit rocks or skip them thru the gravel? I have killed three deer with the same arrow over the last three seasons and hopefully zip the same arrow thru a yogi this spring. Its my good luck arrow lol.

Bowzone_Mikey
01-10-2016, 04:40 PM
Hunting: Easton FMJ or VAPs Easton ACC 3-49 or bigger
3D hunting practice (see above)
3D target(outdoor): high end GTs, Easton Litespeeds , Easton ACCs
3D indoor Target: X-cutters, Fatboys or easton Superdrive 25s or any of those listed in outdoor
Paper Indoor: Easton x-23 or x27 Alums Fatboys, X cutters etc...
Paper outdoor: Easton ACE, ACG or ACC and X10s Bar none ... the ACC is parralell shaft .. the others listed are barreled ... shaped like a football to exagerate ... Best most accuarate and consistant arrows on the market

SWD
01-16-2016, 08:00 PM
Gold Tip Hunter