PDA

View Full Version : My 2016 Elk trip

Agent Orange
01-05-2016, 05:44 PM
Well times are a little slow, so I thought I'd share my hunting story from this year. I had been putting it off until I had this photobucket thing figured out and I think I've finally got it. (Thanks Coach!)

This trip is an annual event that my Dad and his friends have been doing for over 20 years and I have been lucky enough to go with them these past two years. I've read that elk hunting is addictive and now I know why! Myself, my Dad and two of his friends pulled into base camp around 1 pm. Two of our other partners came up two days earlier to set up the wall tent which was nice, but they were not back for lunch yet which was unusual. As we unpacked our stuff and set up, they came back to camp with an elk all quartered up! Nice way to start the trip. (Sorry no pics)

So after a quick nap my Dad and I head out to a valley where we know elk have been in the past. No long into our hike we spot a cow elk grazing on the hill side. After glassing her for a while and letting out a a couple bugles with no response we keep moving. Just around the next bend, we spot a couple more cows grazing on the hill side. Again, no reply to the bugling, so after a while, we move on. We round the next bend and the valley bottom begins to rise up to meet the ridges on either side. To the left we spot 2 more cows and this time there is a reply to our bugles. We see a bull emerge from the right side of the valley near the top of the ridge but he is still 700 yards away. But even from this range we can see 6 points silhouetted against the evening sky. As stealthily as we can we proceed to close the gap. The bull has crossed the open span between the right and left and has joined the the cows on the left side in an attempt to push them back to where he had come from. He successfully pushes one cow into the open and is close behind her. We are still 500 yards out and my Dad turns to me and says, "How much does your bullet drop at 500yds?" I simply shake my head no. I don't feel comfortable at this range. We close the gap a little more as the cow and bull disappear into the timber on the right side. We are now 400 yards out and my Dad sets up for a shot. The bull is bugling like crazy to try and get the second cow to follow him but she wont budge from her hiding spot in the trees. We sat there waiting for him to show himself again but he never did. So we hiked out of there in the dark, pumped that we got into some elk on the first night.

We get up before the sun is up on the following morning and head back to the same spot. As we are hiking in, much to my terror, my phone starts to ring! SHIT. As fast as i can i pull it out of my pocket and shut it off. My Dad and I exchange looks that can only be described as WTF! What happened next was even more surprising. An elk bugled! We look up to the right, and there at the top of the ridge is the six point from the night before!! He starts walking in the direction of the end of the valley. We start to hustle to the end to see if we can meet him where we saw him yesterday. We get to the end of valley and make our way up the left side to give us a vantage point if he comes out of the trees on the right. We eventually come to the game trail that the elk we travelling on yesterday and decide to follow it towards where we expected the elk to be. Slowly we make our way along the trail, stopping every so often to peek over the ridge. Up ahead there is a large rock, and I think, "That would be a great spot to shoot from." Sure enough, a couple steps further and we see the antlers poking up over the ridge. 6x6 for sure. We drop to ground and crawl to the rock, Dad sets up a shot with his .338 ultra mag @ less than 100 yards. The bull is staring at us head on, he knows we are there. Not the best shot but my dad is the best shooter that I know. BOOM, antlers go down and legs go straight up in the air. I've never seen an animal drop so fast. Upon surveying the Bull we cannot find a bullet hole anywhere and start to think that maybe we scared it to death! Once we quartered it up (gutless method of course) we find the bullet wound hidden by his thick main. Straight through the throat and into the spine. Not an ounce of wasted meat!

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv21/chris_jamieson1/Dads%20elk%202015_zpsfvrkg2mi.jpg (http://s666.photobucket.com/user/chris_jamieson1/media/Dads%20elk%202015_zpsfvrkg2mi.jpg.html)That's all for now. I'll finish up the rest of the story when I get home. Stay tuned

Piperdown
01-05-2016, 05:53 PM
you home yet ?

Buck
01-05-2016, 05:59 PM
Nice country congrats on the bull

Husky7mm
01-05-2016, 06:17 PM
A nice bull elk in beautiful country and from the future too boot!! Good times. :)

01-05-2016, 06:20 PM
you home yet ?

patience Grasshopper

Piperdown
01-05-2016, 06:32 PM
Frack Curly you now that isn't one of my strong points :)

Steeleco
01-05-2016, 06:36 PM
Nice going neighbour! That's one fine creature, looks like quite the hump out too!!

kennyj
01-05-2016, 07:26 PM
Nice bull, and great story. Looking forward to more.
kenny

Agent Orange
01-05-2016, 08:10 PM
Nice going neighbour! That's one fine creature, looks like quite the hump out too!!

Howdy! The pack out wasn't that bad. Once we cut off the antlers we slid him down the hillside almost to the valleys bottom.

The next couple days were filled with elk sightings, bugling in a few 5 points, saw a couple grizzlies, but no 6 pointers. On the third night just before dark, two of our buddies spotted a nice 6 point in a large basin. It was almost last light so it was too late make an effective stalk from this distance so they decided to pass on it. That night over dinner we were talking about where we should go in the morning and they decided to go after an area they thought might hold some moose instead and told us where to head to go after that bull. So early the next morning we ride the quads out to the area and hike to the bottom of the basin. We quickly notice 5 cows grazing in the open. 2000+ yards. Closer examination revealed that one of them was actually a small 3 point bull. Dad lets out a long bugle and the bull doesn't even look up. He knows he's lucky to even be this close to this many cows. Sure enough we hear a faint bugle in the distance over the ridge on the left side of the basin. We hike towards the ridge on the left side and start the accent (Its elk country!) chirping the cow calls and little bull bugles to try and get this guy to come to us. His bugles are getting louder now. We have covered a fair amount of ground what feels like no time at all as the adrenaline starts pumping through my veins when I see the trees rustling about 300 yards up ahead. We are on a rocky ridge with no cover except for a group of three burned trees no wider than 8 inches about 20 yards ahead so we make a mad dash for cover. No sooner than we get behind these poor excuses for trees, the elk breaks through the bush and stops. I've gotten my backback off by now and have one side of it resting on the tree and my rifle steadied on top of it. I count, 1 2 3 4.. damn i can't see past the royals because of the bushes, it looks like 20 points. So we wait, eyes locked, a staring contest at 275 yards. After what seems like forever he finally looks to the left. 1 2 3 4 5 6...7? I hear my dad whisper "Its a 6" and its all the reassurance i need, I let 150 grains of barnes vortex fly down the spout of my 7mm rem mag... i feel good about this shot. Probably better then I ever have after a shot. But he just stands there.. then starts walking away. I let another one fly and this time he drops like a sack of potatoes! After the obligatory high fives we start the trek up to retrieve him. Its only 275 yards but it feels further then the first 1km and I start to doubt my first shot. Why did I miss? I had plenty of time to relax, my breathing was calm. Once I got up to him I can see that there are two bullet hole in him. One in the bread basket right where I was aiming the first time and the second a little further back! I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree after all. It turns out I did see 7 points on one antler, a nice 6x7. Unfortunately for us, there was no rolling this guy down the hill so the pack out was a B@#$H.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv21/chris_jamieson1/My%20elk%202015_zps5gcpd7ih.jpg (http://s666.photobucket.com/user/chris_jamieson1/media/My%20elk%202015_zps5gcpd7ih.jpg.html)

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv21/chris_jamieson1/As%20it%20lays_zpsasp9ttap.jpg (http://s666.photobucket.com/user/chris_jamieson1/media/As%20it%20lays_zpsasp9ttap.jpg.html)
A better view of his antlers

Later that evening two of our buddy score a great 6x6 bull in the same valley I got my bull last year. Less then 200 yards apart! The pack out on that one wasn't quite as bad but I was mighty tired that night let me tell you! Now all the guys tell me that I'm good luck and I have to come every year because these past two years have been more successful then the previous 5 years combined!

Thanks for all the positive comments guys.

Agent Orange
01-05-2016, 08:21 PM
A nice bull elk in beautiful country and from the future too boot!! Good times. :)

LOL I just realized what I did. Ive been training myself these past couple days to write 2016!

bcsteve
01-05-2016, 08:32 PM
I was just about to ask where you were hunting elk at this time of year and with no snow!?!?

nazarow
01-05-2016, 08:45 PM
Thanks for taking the time to write your story. Congrats on both the elk! Sounded like a good time.

Rob Chipman
01-05-2016, 09:24 PM
Yeah, those are two nice bulls. Good times hunting with your dad!

01-05-2016, 10:14 PM
Way to go guys, very special times to be with your Dad and friends. Congrats to you all. Great looking country !

Thanks for the share.

kush
01-05-2016, 11:12 PM
Way to go bro

HarryToolips
01-05-2016, 11:21 PM
Great story and congrats on the 2 bull elk!

Rayne
01-06-2016, 12:45 AM
Great story. Thanks for sharing

kennyj
01-06-2016, 07:07 AM
2 great bulls! Congratulations again.
kenny

.264winmag
01-06-2016, 07:40 AM
Beauties! I'd be keeping that spot to myself, very nice country!

ydouask
01-06-2016, 08:27 AM
:-) Now you've done it... I just got last year's (2015) stuff cleaned up yesterday and was starting to think I'd missed a whole season !
Thanks for the story and congratulations on a couple of well deserved elk.

ElliotMoose
01-06-2016, 11:14 AM
A couple fine specimens there! Congrats on a successful hunt and thanks for posting

wideopenthrottle
01-06-2016, 12:29 PM
great work on the bulls

BiG Boar
01-06-2016, 01:26 PM
nice work neighbour, some good eats there.

Xenomorph
01-06-2016, 01:27 PM
Nice job and yes you got me guessing if you were down in the States somewhere with the 2016 and no snow :)

Great bulls, amazing eating. Congrats

Bugle M In
01-06-2016, 02:12 PM
Didn't get the chance o read all the posts etc....but...
I just wanted to say what a "Great Photograph" in that first post.
To take a bull way up there near the sub alpine is awesome.
I'm jealous to be honest...I have always wanted to hunt them in a picturesque setting such as that.
And, always nice to have your father as the person in the picture....great memories for you.
Thanks for posting...and Congrats!