PDA

View Full Version : Dog trainer kelowna

Heffernan89
01-05-2016, 05:16 PM
Hey everyone

Just got word that my Brittany pub has been born and will most likely be ready to pick up in Feb. Does anyone know of any dog trainer in kelowna for pointer ?

Thank you

Dannybuoy
01-05-2016, 05:23 PM
Message Hotload (Rod) He trained his dogs and may know someone or give you some tips . Neither of his are pointers but Carlos can outpoint the best of them :-D

OKsean
01-05-2016, 05:55 PM
Where did you get your brittany from? I have one coming from Bragdon this year. I'm also looking for a trainer in kelowna.

Heffernan89
01-05-2016, 06:34 PM
Hey thanks for the tip I'll msg him and OKsean we have the same breeder when are you getting your Feb 2 from Dixie

britman101
01-05-2016, 11:42 PM
There really are very few pro pointer trainers in B.C.. Not much money in it to make a living in Canada. Could join one of the pointer dog clubs and try your luck as an amateur to train your dog. However you have to be willing to invest the time and energy to train your own gun dog. It can be done but it is a labour of love, especially if you want a well trained pointer that is steady to shot. Another alternative is to explore the professional trainers in Washington state. You are close enough to go down there, and there are some exceptional trainers in that area but it can be costly especially with the unfavorable exchange rate.

Surrey Boy
01-05-2016, 11:58 PM
Congratulations, Kirby!

OKsean
01-06-2016, 06:35 PM
Mine will be born end of February from Jenny x charlie on point. Will be picking up Mid April. Maybe we could arrange some kind of training group some time with other interested people from the area

Heffernan89
01-06-2016, 07:09 PM
Thank surryboy been waiting along time. Oksean I would be interested in that, I know a few people with older Brittney who are always willing to help

Monashee
01-06-2016, 08:21 PM
yep , find an experienced older dog to go with the younger one will pick up how it is done quickly . Brittany Spaniels are great dogs , gentle natured with people , they are simple to train , hunting comes natural .

The one we had pointed out a sneaky pheasant that refused to come out of it's hiding place , the pheasant was buried in the reeds so you couldn't see it at all , my father reached in with both hands and brought out a surprised pheasant . Our Britt also hunted other critters while we kids were at school , we'd come back home and at the entrance to his dog house would be the tail and feet of a muskrat or scraps of fur from a groundhog having eaten all the rest. He was only about 35 pounds but what a hunter ! RIP to the best dog we've ever had .

Dog_River
01-07-2016, 11:20 PM
I am picking up a new setter pup in March. I have been around lots of bird dogs. The route I am going to take is getting the pup into as many wild birds as possible from a young age, keep my mouth shut and let the birds train the dogs for you. Don't expect much the first year and if your lucky he may put it together. My job is to make getting him into wild birds the most important thing in my life for the first few years. I am not going to teach much obedience until he knows how to get out and hunt and not always looking around for me. The obedience can be taught later. They do need to "come" without fail by the time his first season comes around.

If you hunt a pup with an older dog the pup may become a follower which I do not want, however they do and will learn some other skills from an older dog such as backing. I want my dogs to range out and hunt for themselves. Everyone has different ideas about training dogs but this is the coarse I am going to take. I wish you guy's all the best with your new pups.

Dog_River

hotload
01-07-2016, 11:35 PM
Heffernan and Oksean, congrats on a couple fine dogs coming your way. You will get all kinds of advise about how to train your pups into fine bird dogs. My 2 cents initially is just let them run and let them smell the world, let them explore and along the way build a strong bond ,and make it all a happy experience. Great dogs come with early exploration of all the great smells for them, bonding, obedience along the way, and waiting for the opportune time to teach a great retrieve. Patience is your virtue, so take small steps, there is no race to the finish line. There is lots of good literature, so pick the author that best suits your dog and your wants and needs. Best of luck, have fun. Say goodbye to life as you once knew it.....................................
ROD

Dog_River
01-08-2016, 09:51 AM
This is excellent advise !!!!

Dog_River

Heffernan and Oksean, congrats on a couple fine dogs coming your way. You will get all kinds of advise about how to train your pups into fine bird dogs. My 2 cents initially is just let them run and let them smell the world, let them explore and along the way build a strong bond ,and make it all a happy experience. Great dogs come with early exploration of all the great smells for them, bonding, obedience along the way, and waiting for the opportune time to teach a great retrieve. Patience is your virtue, so take small steps, there is no race to the finish line. There is lots of good literature, so pick the author that best suits your dog and your wants and needs. Best of luck, have fun. Say goodbye to life as you once knew it.....................................
ROD

britman101
01-09-2016, 01:53 AM
Also remember you can only run your dogs on wild birds from August 1 through to April 30th. However, don't run your dogs on wild birds in times of extreme heat or in the winter. Pushing a gamebird out of dense cover during freezing winter temperatures can be a death sentence for it. If you want to expose your dogs to birds year round, better build a pigeon coop as you will be using them as training tools especially for young dogs.

shakerMaker
01-09-2016, 04:42 PM
I also have one of dixie's pups comming in february. I am buisy readinig and watching everything i can because i cannot locate any trainers in my area either. Thiss is my first first gun dog and i dont want to mess it up. The early pics of the pups looks great

Heffernan89
01-10-2016, 04:16 PM
Happy to hear shakermaker , I have seen a few of his dog work and looking forward to it. Like you I have been researching non stop everyday, I may have a lead of a trainer in pinticton but can't get ahold of then. If I do I'll pm you with their info.

Thank everyone for advice I have a pretty good idea on how I plan to train it after watching and reading lots.

Does anyone know where to get pheasent and grouse wings?

hotload
01-10-2016, 05:10 PM
If your after the trainer I think possibly you might be after, he's a friend of mine and had travelled to his homeland in Australia a while back and might not be back yet.

ROD

Heffernan89
01-10-2016, 05:21 PM
OK thanks rod!!

shakerMaker
01-10-2016, 05:33 PM
Have u checked out willow creek kennels videos on YouTube??? They train gsp 's but they work dogs sit to point to retrieve..

Heffernan89
01-10-2016, 05:41 PM
I'll check then out I've been watching green acre sportman club for now.

Really hoping someone can help me the grouse wing... Should of saved some oh well

ncurrie
01-10-2016, 07:14 PM
I'll check then out I've been watching green acre sportman club for now.

Really hoping someone can help me the grouse wing... Should of saved some oh well
I have two grouse wings in the freezer. I only need one for my pup if you want the other one.

Heffernan89
01-10-2016, 07:52 PM
That be amazing!!! I'll pm you

barklee
01-10-2016, 08:04 PM
I might have a few around to. I can show you a few places to train in the fall that hold wild birds in Kelowna.

Esox
01-10-2016, 08:11 PM
Hey, I have a 10 month old Britt from Bragdon. There's not much for upland trainers in the Okanagan but there are a few that work with versatile hunting dogs. To date I've done all my own training and would definitely be interested in getting a group together to work our pups. If your experience is anything like mine you're going to be getting a dog with insane bird drive, crazy energy, and an appetite for trouble. The drive and mechanics for working ground seem to be totally ingrained in him and it's awesome to watch him hunt. I will warn you that if you don't have serious time to commit (2-3 hrs/day) on training and running your pup, it will turn your household upside down!

Heffernan89
01-10-2016, 08:29 PM
Yeah I have heard that as well. I live close to work and around lot of park, plus having a fully fenced in yard will help. Am always up for socializing pups as well!

shakerMaker
01-11-2016, 02:01 PM
Versatile is exactly what I am looking for Esox. Do you have any names?? This could turn into the bragdon's progeny thread :)

OKsean
01-12-2016, 09:13 AM
Bragdon's progeny, nice, haha. I know a few spots on the westside that hold wild birds too. we could meet up for a run there before the season or for a hunt this fall. I would be totally up for a pup meetup/bragdon family reunion if we could coordinate one in the okanagan. A buddy of mine has a bragdon pup, about 4 years old now, and has been wanting to hunt her more. For wings, my neighborhood has a pretty good population of quail - usually a few roadkill every week. I plan on scavenging for wings. Little morbid maybe, but i too forgot to save my grouse wings last fall. I've been watching willow creek kennel's videos as well. Seems like good info.

Heffernan89
01-12-2016, 10:36 AM
Hey OKsean
I would love to set up training session and meet and greet. I am debating on buying a few quail from a friend but that won't happen till march. If you do get some quail wing I would be interested in getting a few off you maybe we can work out a deal. I'll pm you after work to talk more if your interested

OKsean
01-13-2016, 09:03 AM
If i can scavenge some bird parts I'll share. Seems like there's a few ppl around the area looking to get together with their dogs. We should plan something for summer time ish

OKsean
01-13-2016, 09:04 AM
PS if your friend has a steady supply of quail, I might be interested in some but probably not until later in the summertime

Dog_River
01-13-2016, 01:29 PM
Is your buddie selling quail ? I would be interested if not I wonder where he gets them from ?

Dog_River

Heffernan89
01-13-2016, 08:10 PM
He get them from a person, I ask him to get the info for me will keep everyone posted

pg13
01-22-2016, 07:46 AM
Hey all,
oksean got me onto this thread. I have a 3 year old Britt from bragdon. would love if there was a a little bird dog or Brittany club or get together in the Okanagan. As previously posted, there is not a ton of bird dog training resources in the area, so I relied on obedience training and then a lot of you tube and time spent in the bush for Emma to be where she's at (far from perfect), so it would be cool to have a place to bounce ideas and tips off each other.

Dog_River
01-22-2016, 08:54 AM
I wonder if we could get enough interest to get a pro trainer for a clinic somewhere in BC ?

Dog_River

pg13
01-22-2016, 11:14 AM
Anyone picking up a pup from Bob with bragdon should ask if he would be interested or if any of his hunting buddies in the okanagan would be interested.

Heffernan89
01-23-2016, 09:49 AM
Hey everyone I've been talking to Bob and got a number of a guy in lumby who setup well. He isn't a pro but Bob told me to ask him. I'll see Bob on Feb 5th and can mention the other idea to him to. As for the club and all the meeting I am very interested I think we could accomplish more by training together. I know of one pointer club in nanimo I will be there for 6 week so I am going to try n go on the open day to learn as much as I can. Maybe we should do a meet and great thing and go from their!

Heffernan89
01-23-2016, 09:50 AM
Pg13 if that is a picture of your dog he/she is a beauty!

pg13
01-23-2016, 09:52 AM
Heffernan89 thank you!

steelslinger
01-23-2016, 10:16 AM
Bcallbreeds pointer club would be a good start. If people in the Okanagan were getting together I would be interested in attending.

Heffernan89
01-23-2016, 10:23 AM
I'll look them up, I guess someone need to plan a meet and greet! I get my pup on the 5th and leave the 22 till April 8. Maybe do a meet and greet on the 14th am located downtown so maybe Knox mountain location just an idea for now seem like their is a number of guys wanted this so let do it

Dog_River
01-23-2016, 11:19 AM
Does someone want to take the lead ? Can we start to get a list together on this thread or start a new thread ?

I'm in.

Dog_River

OKsean
01-23-2016, 11:48 AM
I'm definitely up for a meet and greet but won't get my pup til the end of April. I would for travel to Lumby if need be to meet this trainer, not too far from Kelowna, but it would be nice if we could meet closer to town. If enough of us are willing, we could provide some incentive for the Lumby trainer to come to Kelowna. It would be ideal to find a landowner with some space who is willing to share with us. Dog parks would work though, and would probably be more feasible for the short term. I'm into the idea of a club too, even if it was just an informal group that meets from time to time to share training tips. I've started a group in the hunting dog forum called Kelowna gun dog training group.

barklee
01-23-2016, 06:59 PM
Don't do dog parks. The other dogs will really interfere with what you are trying to do. There are few places in Kelowna that are of the way that would work or try to get some farmland of on one of the hills to.

steelslinger
01-24-2016, 11:47 AM
Don't do dog parks. The other dogs will really interfere with what you are trying to do. There are few places in Kelowna that are of the way that would work or try to get some farmland of on one of the hills to.

What he said!! Dog parks ARE NOT FOR TRAINNING!!! You'll have nothing but issues, other dogs distracting, interfering etc. With young pups its about positive exposure, lots of fun, lots of play with LOTS of birds (wild are best). Also keep in mind for the first months you need to avoid high dog densities to avoid distemperament and other diseases.

I've used dog parks once I have an older dog and I am working with steady training or actively trying to distract/tempt the dog into breaking, not with pups.

Heffernan89
01-24-2016, 12:56 PM
I won't do dog park I have a few baseball diamond around my place that are always empty also I live close to Knox mountain ... It is not hard to find a quite place up their off the beaten track

OKsean
01-25-2016, 09:14 AM
Good feedback there, baseball diamonds might be better, as long as the by law people don't hassle us.

Dog_River
01-26-2016, 01:41 PM
He get them from a person, I ask him to get the info for me will keep everyone posted

Any word from your buddy where he is getting his birds from ?

Dog_River

Heffernan89
01-27-2016, 01:20 PM
Hey sorry forgot to post she got hers herehttp://www.aandjfarms.com/wheretobuy.html ... I plan on getting some hopefully around April 8th as I will be in that area

Heffernan89
02-03-2016, 10:26 PM
Just got my puppy from Bob and he is amazing. I'll try and post pictures soon

ncurrie
02-04-2016, 02:57 PM
Yay can't wait to see pics of her Kirby!!

OKsean
02-05-2016, 08:32 AM
Congrats!!

shakerMaker
02-08-2016, 02:02 PM
I pick up my Bragdon on Sunday....i've never been so excited for a long drive in February...

ncurrie
02-08-2016, 03:21 PM
What is the name of the guy here in Lumby? I would like to give him a call

Heffernan89
02-14-2016, 09:52 AM
Hey everyone trying to figure out how to post pictures I know their a post somewhere so I'll find it n figure it out. Also ncurrie I am still waiting the gentleman approve before posting his name I am talking to him and hope to meet with him Friday before I go to Victoria ... If everyone still want to meet up we can do it when I get back (April 8th) or you guys can organize one while am gone just keep me informed

Dog_River
05-02-2016, 05:40 AM
Britman,

I have been looking in the regs and also in the wildlife act and cannot find the legal dates when a person can legally run his dogs. I wonder where you got these dates ?

Thanks, Dog_River

Also remember you can only run your dogs on wild birds from August 1 through to April 30th. However, don't run your dogs on wild birds in times of extreme heat or in the winter. Pushing a gamebird out of dense cover during freezing winter temperatures can be a death sentence for it. If you want to expose your dogs to birds year round, better build a pigeon coop as you will be using them as training tools especially for young dogs.

britman101
05-13-2016, 02:43 AM
Page 17 in the Hunting Synopsis under Dogs.