PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with Handguns

ohno
05-18-2007, 01:24 PM
This is the previous thread on this subject.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=4368

I think some qualifications are required here. I am not suggesting wide open wild west style shoot from the hip.

If this would be "sellable" to the general public the following would be a good starting point.

Require a proficiency test for usage
Have an ATH permit (Authorization to Hunt)
Perhaps calibre restrictions for certain gameSome of the advantages I can see would be:

Legitimize legal handgun ownership
Another tool in the hunters arsenalI can already see myself out there in August in my tree stand during the Bow/Pistol/Junior Rifle season:smile: As you know everyone needs a "special" season.

O.

todbartell
05-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Id love to be able to hunt deer and black bear with a handgun. Id get a Thompson Center chambered in 6.5 JDJ

LOC
What about "All of the above"?

30-06
small game

Barracuda
05-18-2007, 01:32 PM
all of the above. Especially when chaseing my flea bags :lol:

The 'Hummer'
05-18-2007, 01:33 PM
What about "All of the above"?
How about the first three out of the four available???:smile:

Gus
05-18-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm for it, all the above. Maybe just rules on the size and calibre for the sizes of game....

Gateholio
05-18-2007, 01:34 PM
I'd hunt it all with my Ruger Bisley 45 Colt.....

If Bartell ever delivers it to me:lol:

todbartell
05-18-2007, 01:36 PM
never even ordered it ;) just took your $250 deposit and bought PCP :mrgreen:

youngfellla
05-18-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm all for it. I'd love to use my 454 Casull to whack a few critters.8-)

The way I see it, if guys are killing Cape Buffalo and huge Alaskan moose with their 454's, we should be given the privelage of hunting with handguns here in BC.

BlacktailStalker
05-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Bartell pass the pipe.

I think it's bullshit a guy cant carry a sidearm when hunting in an area with dangerous game, or at leasts while bow hunting. And I'll bet a fat wad that many guys do anyways.

Will
05-18-2007, 03:02 PM
I think it's bullshit a guy cant carry a sidearm when hunting in an area with dangerous game, or at leasts while bow hunting.
It's BS a guy can't use something that already is licensed up the whazzoo and Legally owned whether he's out hunting or just wants to stroll around in the Woods with a sidearm 8)

I for one would strap on the Buscadaro rig and carry two sidearms 8)

Gatehouse says there are Sasquatches out there.....& I for one have no desire to be bent over a stump for lack of firepower :???:

Oh and the Poll doesn't have "ALL" of the above........so I picked BIG Game !

Steeleco
05-18-2007, 03:33 PM
I know field carry permits have calibre restriction, so if it's OK to carry for protection, why not hunting. I'd have no problem with the "org" telling me no hunting creature "A" with anything less than cal "B", they already do it with some game and long rifles.

Plus then I'd have a reason to use the restricted status on my licence.

Elkhound
05-18-2007, 03:35 PM
all of the above

wickit
05-18-2007, 04:15 PM
All the above

JoshLedoux
05-18-2007, 05:29 PM
[quote=Will]

I for one would strap on the Buscadaro rig and carry two sidearms 8)

Double on that one, already got the rig and 2 vaqueros filled with shot

480ruger
05-19-2007, 12:17 AM
where do i sign up, i am all for hunting big game with a hand gun,i have been wanting to try out my 480 ruger on some critters since i bought it last year.

brotherjack
05-19-2007, 12:35 AM
I'm 100% in favor of two things:

1. Packin a little 22 pistol for grouse and rabbits while hunting big game
2. Packin a big cannon for predator defense.

I'm in support of for others, but would probalby never:

1. Hunt with a handgun when a rifle was a viable option.

7mmag
05-19-2007, 05:00 AM
I picked small game because that's all I'd hunt with them, but I think they should be legal for all game.

Also, we all need protection from those sodamising Samsquanches:eek:

A hand gun..... or chainmail underware at least!:lol:

Steeleco
05-19-2007, 08:59 AM
So who are the 14 so far that voted "none of the above" and why haven't you posted why?????????????????

Will
05-19-2007, 10:02 AM
So who are the 14 so far that voted "none of the above" and why haven't you posted why?????????????????
Just Because !..............:lol:

ruger#1
05-19-2007, 10:22 AM
I would like to hunt small game with a hand gun , it would be fun . Thats if it is okay with mapguy.

Sideofabarn
05-19-2007, 11:04 AM
I don't know about hunting with a pistol/revolver, but I'd love to be able to pack along a heavy cal whilst bowhunting for insurance... OK maybe a .22 for chickens

Chuck
05-19-2007, 11:07 AM
I haven't voted yet...but I'll offer my opinion regarding the dissenters, which I feel may be accurate. They wish to be heard, but don't relish an attack in response to their opinion. Myself - I've been there and done that and imo it's just American movie propaganda and very similar to ones first sexual encounter. However one soon learns as the "thrill" wears off that it's just another pain in the *** and something else to worry about, noisy, inaccurate, glamourized, etc. etc. So I give it a thumbs down.

Gateholio
05-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Handguns, just like any other weapon, can be used properly or improperly.

What interests one person may not interest another.

Some have no use for rifles, others have no use for bows. Some view the use of magnums/double rifles/28guages/Lee Enfields/Lever actions/Single shots/longbows/compound bows etc as "glamourized or nostalgized or hyped" but to others it's what gets them going.

Some find the thrill of an activity wears off, others find just the opposite, and attempt to explore the activity to it's fullest.

What is important is that we have a choice to use whatever we like.8-)

Steeleco
05-19-2007, 08:53 PM
I haven't voted yet...but I'll offer my opinion regarding the dissenters, which I feel may be accurate. They wish to be heard, but don't relish an attack in response to their opinion. Myself - I've been there and done that and imo it's just American movie propaganda and very similar to ones first sexual encounter. However one soon learns as the "thrill" wears off that it's just another pain in the *** and something else to worry about, noisy, inaccurate, glamourized, etc. etc. So I give it a thumbs down.
Thanks Chuck, nothing wrong with being honest!!! I'm too am in favor of choice, the rest is up to the individual.

CanAm500
05-19-2007, 09:00 PM
How about the first three out of the four available???:smile:

Agree there.:)

The 'Hummer'
05-20-2007, 08:56 AM
Handguns, just like any other weapon, can be used properly or improperly.

What interests one person may not interest another.

Some have no use for rifles, others have no use for bows. Some view the use of magnums/double rifles/28guages/Lee Enfields/Lever actions/Single shots/longbows/compound bows etc as "glamourized or nostalgized or hyped" but to others it's what gets them going.

Some find the thrill of an activity wears off, others find just the opposite, and attempt to explore the activity to it's fullest.

What is important is that we have a choice to use whatever we like.8-)
X2. Hard to put it any better than that.:)

jessbennett
05-20-2007, 11:09 AM
mpotzold- handguns probably have a further effective range than a compund bow or crossbow, and as far as not having enough power for bigger game, tell that to the 44 mag, 454 casull owners!!!!:lol:

The 'Hummer'
05-20-2007, 12:29 PM
mpotzold- handguns probably have a further effective range than a compund bow or crossbow, and as far as not having enough power for bigger game, tell that to the 44 mag, 454 casull owners!!!!:lol:
Or with the .500 S&W, mention the 'effective power and range' to John Taffin of the American Handgunner, and tell it to Mark Hampton also of the American Handgunner who took the .500 S&W to Africa on its 'inaugural trip'. :smile:

Mattimoose
05-20-2007, 01:48 PM
never even ordered it ;) just took your $250 deposit and bought PCP :mrgreen:

That explains a lot!LOL:smile:

The Hermit
05-22-2007, 08:46 PM
I would love to be able to pack a handgun into the woods as a last resort and dispatch weapon. that being said I don't favor hunting/shooting game with handguns for all the somewhat obvious reasons.

mapguy
05-23-2007, 07:42 AM
hehehehehe ruger i for one would appreaciate a handgun when out for moose just in case of a bear attack . And my eyesights not the best guess i could put a scope on a 22 for grouse .That might be fun the willow grouse make great chicken fingers .As long as there no shooting in camp . Under lock and key in gov. parks during your main tourist season .

Rainwater
05-23-2007, 09:32 AM
Mapguy, If it's tourist season then why.... When would you guys like to start shooting handguns, during the Youth rifle season in Bowonly season or during the late Bow only for Whities, just wondering.??

Seeadler
05-24-2007, 08:28 AM
I would be in favour of allowing it for "All of the above". Personally though, if it was allowed, I could see myself using a 22 for birds and maybe taking a deer or two with a 44-40 or 45 Colt. Other than that I would stick with a rifle as handguns aren't really my thing.

The 'Hummer'
05-24-2007, 09:33 AM
Mapguy, If it's tourist season then why.... When would you guys like to start shooting handguns, during the Youth rifle season in Bowonly season or during the late Bow only for Whities, just wondering.??
As sort of an overview, treat handguns for hunting purposes the same as you would any other firearm. I have a friend that lives in the states and one stipulation for handgun hunting where he is that he has mentioned to me is "it must be carried openly, not concealed." I could live with that, again, treat it the same as any other firearm.

TPK
05-24-2007, 10:22 AM
.. treat it the same as any other firearm.

Bingo, and why wouldn't you? The arguments against hand gun hunting are for the most part emotional and not rational. We trust people in the bush with shotguns, rifles, bows etc. but not with a hand gun??

The fear that more people will carry concealed under the pretense of going or coming from a hunt is ludicrous, the people that follow the laws today will follow them tomorrow, those that will carry illegally already are.

Stresd
05-24-2007, 10:03 PM
It would be nice to legally be able to hunt grouse with a pellet pistol in B.C. Compact and light it would be an ideal companion on those long stalks in the bush. Unfortunately we are the only province in Canada where a pellet pistol is illegal to hunt with. And as proven in the rest of the country where this occurs every year a .22 of 16 gr doing 400-500 Fps is more than enough to harvest a grouse or if so inclined a rabbit.

eaglesnester
05-26-2007, 07:09 AM
Hand guns are generally only good for one thing, killing people. My 20 years in the United States Marine Corps has led me to this conclusion. Hand guns do not pack the foot pounds, range, or accuracy for hunting. There are exceptions of course but only in the energy department. (like the 50cal cas). This weapon might be ok for a grizz back up in a bad situation if the user has the skill to use it. Anything less would be foolish and darn right dangerous for the hunter. Small caliber handguns like a 22 revolver are a lot of fun to hunt small game with and can be a good tool to have in your survivor pack. Leave the handguns at home packed away and save them for the next war.
Cheers: Eaglesnester

mapguy
05-26-2007, 07:18 AM
will a 44 mag stop a grizzly bear ??? not worried about a 22 stopping a grouse though heehehehehe

30-06
05-26-2007, 07:26 AM
i voted for small game.i like using a rifle on big game

TPK
05-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Hand guns do not pack the foot pounds, range, or accuracy for hunting. There are exceptions of course but only in the energy department. (like the 50cal cas). This weapon might be ok for a grizz back up in a bad situation if the user has the skill to use it.

Do not ALL of your concerns about Hand Gun hunting also apply to Bow hunting? We are not seeing any problems with Bow Hunting are we?

Really the just of your objection to hand gun hunting is questioning hunter skill and the matching of ballistic requirements to kill the animal in question. These issues are also presnt with EVERY form of hunting are they not? "Do I have the skill to take the shot?", "Is the animal in range for my weapon?" , questions asked by the ETHICAL hunter, Bow hunter, hand gun hunter, and rifle hunter.

Gateholio
05-26-2007, 10:10 AM
[quote=eaglesnester;152414]Hand guns are generally only good for one thing, killing people.

What BS. 99% of privatley owned handguns will never be used to shoot at someone.

My 20 years in the United States Marine Corps has led me to this conclusion.

Your 20 years in the USMC is completely irrelevent to this discussion. In the military, ALL firearms are employed to kill people.

Hand guns do not pack the foot pounds, range, or accuracy for hunting. There are exceptions of course but only in the energy department. (like the 50cal cas).

Your ignorance on this topic is apparent. If you had any real knowledge you woudl know that handguns have been used quite sucessfully world wide, on all manner of beasts. Just like bows and even rifles, they do have limitations, and shoudl not be pressed into service past thier limits.

This weapon might be ok for a grizz back up in a bad situation if the user has the skill to use it. Anything less would be foolish and darn right dangerous for the hunter.

So anything less than a 50 caliber handgun woudl be foolish for bear defense purposes? Tell that to the many peopel that have repelled bears wiht lesser handguns. More important is hitting them in the rigth spot to make them turn the attack.

Small caliber handguns like a 22 revolver are a lot of fun to hunt small game with and can be a good tool to have in your survivor pack. Leave the handguns at home packed away and save them for the next war.

So now handguns are okay, but only the ones "you" approve of?:confused:

abbyfireguy
05-26-2007, 10:19 AM
How does it feel to be under Gatehouse's microsope???
Been there, done that,think I'll keep me opinions to myself on this one.:mrgreen:

Gateholio
05-26-2007, 10:22 AM
How does it feel to be under Gatehouse's microsope???
Been there, done that,think I'll keep me opinions to myself on this one.:mrgreen:

Everyone is free to offer thier opinion and debate thier views, as long as it stays civil. I don't take internet discussions as personal attacks, I take them for what they are- Debates.

What wins a debate is the presentation of facts, not just what someone "happens to feel"8)

mcrae
05-26-2007, 10:29 AM
All of the above.

Its not my cup of tea but if a guy wants to hunt with a handgun I am all for it.

abbyfireguy
05-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Funny how facts and personal first hand experiences get turned into their feelings when it doesn't suit someone on the opposite side of the discussion..
And then taken apart piece by piece out of context to make their point of view seem irrelevant..
Sounds great so far.:neutral:

Gateholio
05-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Funny how facts and personal first hand experiences get turned into their feelings when it doesn't suit someone on the opposite side of the discussion..

I didn't see any facts from the previous poster.

I saw opinions about hunting weapons based on his experience of weapons used as a soldier, erroneous statements about handguns lacking the capablities to cleanly take game, erroneous statments about using handguns for bear defense, and an admission that "some" handguns were okay to use, but only the ones that he deemed okay.

And then taken apart piece by piece out of context to make their point of view seem irrelevant..

I am adressing his comments one by one. I don't see anything being taken out of context, maybe you can point that out and I will try to fix it if your claim is accurate?

Sounds great so far.:neutral:

If you want to add something, or enter the debate, feel free to do so.

The 'Hummer'
05-26-2007, 12:14 PM
[quote]

What BS. 99% of privatley owned handguns will never be used to shoot at someone.

Your 20 years in the USMC is completely irrelevent to this discussion. In the military, ALL firearms are employed to kill people.

Your ignorance on this topic is apparent. If you had any real knowledge you woudl know that handguns have been used quite sucessfully world wide, on all manner of beasts. Just like bows and even rifles, they do have limitations, and shoudl not be pressed into service past thier limits.

So anything less than a 50 caliber handgun woudl be foolish for bear defense purposes? Tell that to the many peopel that have repelled bears wiht lesser handguns. More important is hitting them in the rigth spot to make them turn the attack.

So now handguns are okay, but only the ones "you" approve of?:confused:
Go get'em Gate.:wink:

Gateholio
05-26-2007, 12:35 PM
[quote=Gatehouse;152450]
Go get'em Gate.:wink:

:-D

Well, I dont' view it as "getting" anyone, I view it as bringing informaton to the table.

There is quite a bit of misinformation about the use of handguns, and most of it is based on Hollywood!8)

The 'Hummer'
05-26-2007, 02:06 PM
[quote=The 'Hummer';152483]

:-D

Well, I dont' view it as "getting" anyone, I view it as bringing informaton to the table.

There is quite a bit of misinformation about the use of handguns, and most of it is based on Hollywood!8)
True enough. Most likely my most memorable day dealing with the topic of handguns was a number of years back. My shooting partner & I took a few days and went to Salmon Idaho and spent the day with Elmer Keith.:-D Talking to 'the man' and knowing of some of his accomplishments, contributions and abilities, no Hollywood there I assure you.:wink:

Gateholio
05-26-2007, 02:15 PM
[quote=Gatehouse;152487]
True enough. Most likely my most memorable day dealing with the topic of handguns was a number of years back. My shooting partner & I took a few days and went to Salmon Idaho and spent the day with Elmer Keith.:-D Talking to 'the man' and knowing of some of his accomplishments, contributions and abilities, no Hollywood there I assure you.:wink:

A day spent with Elmer Keith would cerainly convince just abou8t anyone of the viability of handguns for hunting!8)

Will
05-26-2007, 03:43 PM
Leave the handguns at home packed away and save them for the next war.
If it's just the same to you...I'd take a Rifle when the $hit hits the fan over a handgun anytime..........:wink:

As far as Handgun's not having enough ft lbs of energy etc.......

The 44 Magnum has been used for a long long time to Kill every single species of critter on the Planet and for what it's worth is no longer considered a "powerhouse" of a Hunting Handgun Cartridge.....

Modern metallurgy and ammo/bullet combos have pushed the Handgun's effectiveness far beyond the 44 Mag which is undisputed as a "Hunting Round" BTW 8)

Micky Finn
05-27-2007, 05:04 AM
I voted Large Game only because All Of The Above was not given.
Presently I only own a a couple of handguns capable of large game but given the opportunity, I will defiantly adding to this list. Like any tool it must be use within it's envelope of capability but other than that, why not?
It has only been since "PET" took the option away in the '70's that we have not been able to hunt with a handgun. It was fun then and still would be.
The biggest argument in favour is that it removes the "handguns are only used to kill people" argument from the anti's.
I carry a "Antique" handgun in the bush because I can, why should I not be able to carry my most effective gun, not my ony approved one.

__________________________________________________ __________

Never Give Up, Never Give In