PDA

View Full Version : Keith Atcheson cited for shooting Grizz mistakingly

Rackmastr
05-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Hunter who killed grizzly is cited

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

MISSOULA, Mont. (AP) -- A Butte man has been cited for allegedly killing a grizzly bear north of Ovando, the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks said Monday.

Keith Atcheson was to appear in Powell County Justice Court on the misdemeanor charge Tuesday.

Atcheson is accused of killing the male grizzly May 5 while hunting in the Dunham Creek drainage south of the Bob Marshall Wilderness. He thought it was a black bear, the agency said.

After realizing his mistake, Atcheson reported the incident to Fish, Wildlife and Parks, said Vivaca Crowser, Region 2 FWP information officer.

The agency tagged the grizzly in 1999 after trapping it and two others following a bear complaint. It then relocated the bear to the south fork of the Flathead River, Crowser said.

The May 5 incident was the first time this year that a Montana grizzly has been killed after being mistaken for another type of bear, the agency said. Grizzly bears are a federally protected species and cannot legally be hunted in the state.

Fish, Wildlife and Parks said black bear hunters must successfully complete the agency's bear identification test before purchasing a black bear license. The agency urges all black bear hunters to continuously hone their bear identification skills so they can distinguish a black bear from a grizzly.

The 'Hummer'
05-18-2007, 10:21 AM
I've been making inquiries of a Moose hunt in Alaska, using a .500 S&W and one of the outfits I've been inquiring through is Jack Atcheson & Sons, Inc. Butte, MT. One of the contacts is Keith Acheson. Are these 'Keiths' one and the same?

Rackmastr
05-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Yea I would strongly assume from the talk I've seen on the net. Both Ketih and Ray seem like they run a great booking agency, seems like a bad mistake no doubt. At least he had the nuts to man up and report his mistake to the authorities.

But ya...I only assume its the same Keith Atcheson....

The 'Hummer'
05-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Sometimes with the lack of consideration given to an individual who does 'fess up' makes one wonder if its worthwhile being honest. Long story short but as a kid, about my second year of Moose hunting, I accidently dropped a cow Moose out of season. Realizing the mistake, Dad & I properly took care of the meat and went to town to report the incident. It ended up in front of the local magistrate in court. The Game Warden 'pushed' for confiscation of the meat, my tag, my hunting licience, my rifle and a $100.00 fine. As a young teenager I was quite upset. We hadn't tried to hide the fact and I had put a lot of paper route money into the purchase of that rifle. Anyway, the local magistrate from our small town, taking all the circumstances into consideration said the penalty would be to surrender the meat and tag only.

Gateholio
05-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Sometimes it seems that the guy that tries to do the right thing gets shafted the hardest...But it' still the right thing to do. I guess...8-)

Steeleco
05-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Hunters in Montana need to pass this test.
http://fwp.mt.gov/bearid/default.html

I recall this link from a few years back, it wasn't that easy.

I agree with Gate, the honest guy is going to pay, had anyone else just walked and it would just be page three news.

sawmill
05-18-2007, 03:47 PM
100% on the test,dead easy.:)

Bigbear
05-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Hey I got My cetificate I got 100% its all filled out with a reference # and every thing LOL:lol:

Will
05-18-2007, 05:48 PM
Grizzly bears are a federally protected species and cannot legally be hunted in the state.
:oops:

Fish, Wildlife and Parks said black bear hunters must successfully complete the agency's bear identification test before purchasing a black bear license.
:rolleyes:

He thought it was a black bear, the agency said.

Idiot.......:lol:

mapguy
05-18-2007, 06:27 PM
hummer there seems to be a lot of reports on this site of co's a holes even if
your doing the right thing . Makes you wonder if you should report anything

bochunk2000
05-18-2007, 06:44 PM
100% yeah me
Steve.

mark
05-18-2007, 07:11 PM
100% here too, anyone who doesnt get it, shouldnt be bear hunting without an experienced bear hunter!

Will
05-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Makes you wonder if you should report anything
Certain animals are "protected" for various reasons......As Hunters we are expected to follow the "rules" set out for us.

Sure Humans screw up but if and when we do, accepting the "penalties" for such is part of the game and the Honourable thing to do.

Just because someone confesses to doing something wrong it does not make that something Right ! :|

Deaddog
05-19-2007, 06:42 AM
sounds like he did the right thing in fessing up to his "mistake", while it seems a guy gets hammered either way, I am sure it would be a lot worse if he tried to hide the animal and get away with it. Imagine the comments from us then!!! I have reported a sow grizzly that I killed with no tag when she charged us, we were interviewed and that was about it , I thought the process was fair, Honesty is always the right thing to do:lol:

tmarschall
05-19-2007, 07:22 AM
Geez... if this Texas boy can get 100% on the test... it must not be that difficult!!!

Steeleco
05-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Well it does seam easier than the last time I took it. Maybe I'm just wiser :eek::eek:

Gateholio
05-19-2007, 09:25 AM
hummer there seems to be a lot of reports on this site of co's a holes even if
your doing the right thing . Makes you wonder if you should report anything

This is an interesting statement.

Elkhound
05-19-2007, 09:43 AM
This is an interesting statement.

No kidding.....god help us if the a holes have guns too:eek:

Will
05-19-2007, 10:01 AM
No kidding.....god help us if the a holes have guns too:eek:
Why exactly do CO's have Handguns ?.....I honestly have No idea ?

I guess they are for "Protection" ? :|

Elkhound
05-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Why exactly do CO's have Handguns ?.....I honestly have No idea ?

I guess they are for "Protection" ? :|

Well Will seems to get it at least.8)

Chuck
05-19-2007, 10:41 AM
I questioned the reasoning behind, what in my mind at the time, seemed unfair and ridiculous. "Punish the man when he admits to an honest error". I was told that it had to be that way - even if; because it keeps the door shut on an untold number of "what ifs" that might make a legal system unable to function rationally. As for Keith - who knows but he. My 2 cents.