PDA

View Full Version : know any flint knappers?

forestwalker
01-03-2016, 04:21 PM
Just started flint knapping knife blades. Was wondering if there were any flint knappers out there that would be willing to provide a lesson or two to a greenhorn. I have instructional books and a DVD but would benefit greatly from some one on one direction. I'm in Big Lake Ranch northwest of williams lake, would be willing to travel. PM for anyone willing to spare some time.
Cheers
Rick

Wentrot
01-03-2016, 04:23 PM
Smash two rocks and hope for a sharp piece.

Your welcome :-P

adriaticum
01-03-2016, 06:11 PM
Good luck with that.
I could never understand why we need this skill.
We are in the age of metal.
And silicone.

Daybreak
01-03-2016, 06:26 PM
This video series will interest you forestwalker. Guy's been doing it for 30 years. Interesting how he utilizes many animal bones and antlers to build his tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyzNIa-U5Nc

quadrakid
01-03-2016, 06:43 PM
Flintknapping,lots of fun. You can practice with glass,wear glasses,rubber gloves and use the thick bottoms of bottles. There are plenty of videos. I have a collection of native artifacts,those guys were artists.

Bugle M In
01-03-2016, 06:51 PM
Safety first for sure!....make sure you have all that first.
Can't help you with the actual task, but using your hands for an old skill can be lots of fun....enjoy

J_T
01-03-2016, 06:55 PM
My son was in to flint knapping for a bit. Made most of his own tools. I know of a couple of guys in Nelson. One that can provide various obsidian rock, the other that makes flint broadheads to precise weight. He makes a lot of different things. Pm me if you want a contact.

forestwalker
01-05-2016, 08:14 PM
Thanks guys. Started because I love to try unique things and because stone blades are great for skinning. Been watching a lot of youtube videos as well.
Pm coming J_T
Cheers
Rick