PDA

View Full Version : Beretta A300 Woes

The Hermit
01-03-2016, 04:10 PM
Okay so this new to me Beretta A300 jammed on the fourth shot today... I thought you *******s all said these things are flawless!! I call BS hahahaha. Okay so Lorne says all auto loaders will jam below -2 degrees and it was a tad colder than that this morning for sure. So I am trying to dissemble for a through cleaning adn can't get the bolt handle out... Watched the YouTube vid but no love. Any tips? Wrap the bolt handle in cloth and use pliers? Errrrrr?

Also, when trying to manually unload the gun the shell in the chamber ejects when moving the bolt handle back but the rest of the rounds stay in the magazine tube when cycling the action. I had to depress the little tab on the inside of the release in order to allow each she'll move back toward the ramp. What a gaint pain in the ass... Hopefully it is dumb user error. WTF am I doing wrong?

If I had bought this thing new from a store it would be going back today! Getting pissed off. Thanks for any tips and help.

Cdn-Redneck
01-03-2016, 04:15 PM
On my a400 I slightly move the bolt face and just keep pulling. It is tricky, careful you don't punch yourself in the face when it comes free. I have to push the little button too. They don't empty like a pump

wingmaster
01-03-2016, 04:21 PM
To remove bolt handle depress bolt face and pull, first couple times are very hard so tie a string around it and that'll help pop it out.

To remove shells from the mag tube, push the shells further into the mag and press the bolt release and they'll come out one at a time. Tough with cold fingers though.

These guns run well very dry and oil thickens in the cold so try a smaller amount, just a film should do May be a bit of a break in period so maybe run a box or two of heavier loads for the first few, but mines been perfect out of the box

Cdn-Redneck
01-03-2016, 04:23 PM
I over oiled mine and it was a mess. Just a film of oil, if you haven't cleaned the packing grease out that can cause issues too.

The Hermit
01-03-2016, 04:28 PM
Oaky using pliers got the bolt handle out. Thanks. Once cleaned with a wee film of oil will try loading and unloading as suggested thanks again. I'm a dumb ass some days... Maybe most days.

Cdn-Redneck
01-03-2016, 04:36 PM
I got my first semi this year too. The bolt handle is like pulling a key out of the door, there is a sweet spot and out it comes, pulling harder doesn't always get it out. I sprayed oil in mine like a my old pump guns and it poured rain the next time I went out and I saw nothing but grey goop in the action and I learned "less is more" in regards to oil in these guns.

The Hermit
01-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Alright that took a LONG time but it will go much more quickly next time. For a gun that was to only have had a couple boxes thru it there was an incredible amount of hardened crap inside the gas unit that is attached to the barrel - wow. Had to use solvent and a brush and 0000 steel wool to get it cleaned up. This time I only used a film of oil applied by my finger on the appropriate parts so hopefully things will be faster next time around. I think I'm going to take this gun to the range this week to pattern and test shoot it a bunch!

I figured out how to eject unspent shells... the button was totally gunked up and stiff as a school boy at the prom!

Thanks for the tips guys!

Cdn-Redneck
01-03-2016, 06:15 PM
Use game loads thru it too start out. Mine still won't cycle 1oz trap loads. If it still doesn't at the end of the season I am going to send it in.

The Hermit
01-03-2016, 06:46 PM
I was shooting 3 1/2" BB rounds! I thought there would be enough energy to cycle at any temp but apparently not the case.

Cdn-Redneck
01-03-2016, 06:56 PM
I had the same thing when it got gummed up. You probably have noticed a difference with the cleaning

Apolonius
01-03-2016, 07:16 PM
New to this too.What is the best way to break in?What kind of loads?Any more tips will be nice to hear from,more experienced shooters.

ZacNap
01-03-2016, 07:28 PM
These guns come slimmed up from the factory i found best thing is clean it spotless and keep the piston dry i use brake clean no oil on the piston just on the bolt in a few spots i find they run better lightly lubed versus heavy or else they get jammed up with un burned powder and whatever the marsh throws into it
For break in i just ran 5 or 6 boxes of steel shot or any game load cycles trap loads fine now once in a while the bolt wont stay open on the last shell with trap loads but it is an auto loader meant for heavy loads

Cdn-Redneck
01-03-2016, 07:35 PM
I haven't tried multiple trap loads just singles and my bolt won't stay open I will have to try load the mag and emptying it out. 2 3/4" waterfowl loads will work fine for break in. Just clean it and hunt with it.

Foxton Gundogs
01-04-2016, 02:40 PM
Bill, call me

fowl language
01-04-2016, 06:37 PM
we run boiling water through our berettas when it is freezing or below, dry the gun thoroughly and use a bit of spray graffite on the slide areas. we had 4 auto,s 3 of which were berettas and had no failures in minus temps. I use the same on my 10 gauge auto with the same results....

Lozzie
01-04-2016, 11:08 PM
Not much experience with Berettas but I run Silicone Lubricant in my Benelli Vinci and I have as out in -10 last weekend with no issues. Silicone lube seems to be one of the few lubes that doesn't attract dust which means less gunk build up in moving parts. I haven't had any issues with jamming or anything from trap loads to 3" BB. Good luck.

Foxton Gundogs
01-05-2016, 10:47 AM
we run boiling water through our berettas when it is freezing or below, dry the gun thoroughly and use a bit of spray graffite on the slide areas. we had 4 auto,s 3 of which were berettas and had no failures in minus temps. I use the same on my 10 gauge auto with the same results....
This...........As for clearing your mag, just reach into the loading port push the shell retainer and unload from the bottom

BiG Boar
01-05-2016, 11:28 AM
http://youtu.be/Hxz_GOJYWiQ

how to unload a gun.

albravo2
01-05-2016, 11:34 AM
I hope you can figure it out without Beretta's warranty. I took a mangled choke back into Italian Sporting Goods for warranty in Sept. At the end of December, when duck season was over for me, they called to say that it was going to be covered.

I like the gun but wasn't impressed by their warranty turnaround.

fowl language
01-05-2016, 07:16 PM
albravo, how did the choke get mangled? are the threads damaged? I ordered a spare firing pin as we have 7 berettas amongst us from italan and had it in 3 weeks from italy

longshot
01-06-2016, 12:02 AM
I just got my first semi auto a few weeks ago aswell, I think the most important step to break in is getting all the packing grease out. Also a lot of gun oils seem to get really gummy in the cold, but I have had really good luck with Remington's "Remoil". Its just a thin Teflon oil that doesn't freeze or gum up at all and stays around for a real long time. For the trigger group I take it out and soak it in Remoil for about an hour, then blow the excess off with air and that's it, and the oil is thin enough that burnt powder and residue doesn't stick to the parts. I also use it on the bolt, bolt carrier and bolt slide, and use the heavier oil on the action slide and piston where higher force is seen. I haven't had one hiccup with the gun yet and it cycled perfectly fine this past week in up to -5.

longshot jr.

Stormy
01-06-2016, 08:41 AM
Okay so this new to me Beretta A300 jammed on the fourth shot today... I thought you *******s all said these things are flawless!! I call BS hahahaha. Okay so Lorne says all auto loaders will jam below -2 degrees and it was a tad colder than that this morning for sure. So I am trying to dissemble for a through cleaning adn can't get the bolt handle out... Watched the YouTube vid but no love. Any tips? Wrap the bolt handle in cloth and use pliers? Errrrrr?

Also, when trying to manually unload the gun the shell in the chamber ejects when moving the bolt handle back but the rest of the rounds stay in the magazine tube when cycling the action. I had to depress the little tab on the inside of the release in order to allow each she'll move back toward the ramp. What a gaint pain in the ass... Hopefully it is dumb user error. WTF am I doing wrong?

If I had bought this thing new from a store it would be going back today! Getting pissed off. Thanks for any tips and help.

When shooting semi automatic weapons (including shotguns) it is prudent to lubricate them with the correct lubricants, many of the old fellas only know the crappy gun lubricants from years ago, you can't blame them really, as non of them have a military background let alone experience in Arctic or Antarctic conditions...

No firearm should ever jam at -2C, if that was the case many soldiers would have died in Scandinavia, Europe and the Balkans...try telling that to the folks up in the Arctic - Alaska, it will get you a good laugh!

We use a product called Chesterton 660 Silicon lube, it works from -40C to +60C, it won't freeze or gum-up your weapon - you won't need to piss on it to warm it up when things get cold, it will waterproof, dust protect and overall improve your hunting and shooting experience....

It is available in an aerosol can, and you can buy it in Vancouver...

thank me later...

FirePower
01-06-2016, 06:45 PM
When shooting semi automatic weapons (including shotguns) it is prudent to lubricate them with the correct lubricants, many of the old fellas only know the crappy gun lubricants from years ago, you can't blame them really, as non of them have a military background let alone experience in Arctic or Antarctic conditions...

No firearm should ever jam at -2C, if that was the case many soldiers would have died in Scandinavia, Europe and the Balkans...try telling that to the folks up in the Arctic - Alaska, it will get you a good laugh!

We use a product called Chesterton 660 Silicon lube, it works from -40C to +60C, it won't freeze or gum-up your weapon - you won't need to piss on it to warm it up when things get cold, it will waterproof, dust protect and overall improve your hunting and shooting experience....

It is available in an aerosol can, and you can buy it in Vancouver...

thank me later...

Mr. Stormy, it is good of you to remind us that we addle brained "old fellas" do not know how to maintain our firearms, also that the years of military service many of us put in, some in real wars, was perhaps only in our imagination. I personally have never lived in Alaska, apparently in your eyes the Yukon is not worth the mention, so I have no real knowledge of how to winterize any equipment far less firearms. I shan't wait till later please allow me to thank you now.

Stormy
01-06-2016, 07:53 PM
Mr. Stormy, it is good of you to remind us that we addle brained "old fellas" do not know how to maintain our firearms, also that the years of military service many of us put in, some in real wars, was perhaps only in our imagination. I personally have never lived in Alaska, apparently in your eyes the Yukon is not worth the mention, so I have no real knowledge of how to winterize any equipment far less firearms. I shan't wait till later please allow me to thank you now.

you are welcome!

fowl language
01-06-2016, 09:23 PM
firepower, thank you for your response to the above, laughed my ass off. I guess none of us old farts have never been to Alaska or anywhere cold..i guess it never gets cold in Saskatchewan either during whitetail season. apparently if your not military you know nothing......

The Hermit
01-06-2016, 09:32 PM
Stormy - Where in Vancouver can one purchase Chesterton 660 Silicon lube. Sounds like a good product. What other brands/lubes are you guys using? I have some super slippery bow lube from Limbsaver I thought I'd try. Clearly the 3in1 Lube doesn't like the cold.

Stormy
01-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Stormy - Where in Vancouver can one purchase Chesterton 660 Silicon lube. Sounds like a good product. What other brands/lubes are you guys using? I have some super slippery bow lube from Limbsaver I thought I'd try. Clearly the 3in1 Lube doesn't like the cold.

I bellieve progressive sealing are the BC rep for Chesterton- call them on 604 263-1562 they should be able to help

Foxton Gundogs
01-07-2016, 10:38 AM

Graphite is the only answer to cold weather lube. It is dry so doesn't thicken. I have used it in -40 and never failed me, but being an "old fella" I may be wrong. The spray type graphite is available at auto supply stores.

Sako 75
01-08-2016, 08:59 PM
firepower, thank you for your response to the above, laughed my ass off. I guess none of us old farts have never been to Alaska or anywhere cold..i guess it never gets cold in Saskatchewan either during whitetail season. apparently if your not military you know nothing......
I am old fart too. Never mind Alaska I would never venture out duck hunting if its below freezing. My 2 cent worth. LOL

Luongo64
01-08-2016, 09:08 PM
I noticed that my A400 is picky with its ammo. It will shoot anything, but does not always cycle 100% of the time with cheaper ammo. They definitely are a little tricky, but spend enough time with it and learn the gun and what it likes and it will love you back! wouldn't trade it for anything now.