PDA

View Full Version : island timber lands

curt
01-02-2016, 09:29 PM
So I just thought I post a quick message about island timberlands forest company I had he archery draw for December 106b I was unsuccessful only because I couldn't close the distant. The timber company was very helpful and accommodating while I was on their land, I dealt with some very nice people. The whole experience was awesome thanks to the help and information given to us by the company a big thumbs up to Island timberlands forest company!! We were onto a herd of 23 with 4 bulls one absolute beast 8x7, we had multiple opportunities but it isn't easy to get close in that nasty country but I loved the opportunity to try.

Liptugger
01-02-2016, 09:42 PM
Good to hear some possitive, so meny only posting negitives about them.

01-02-2016, 11:35 PM
I am all for ITL.

Spirit's Master
01-03-2016, 11:47 AM
Bummer luck curt. Sounds like you at least got your heart beating a bit. And got to see some nice country.

The ITL mid island folks are great to deal with. I live 1k from the Buckley Bay gate and they always have great access during hunting and firewood season. The gate keeper is always friendly and helpful. They will let you know how many other hunters/cutters are in the area and where people have had success finding animals.

http://blog.islandtimberlands.com/

They do a few fundraiser woodcutting events for local schools and groups each season too. Really nice to see a big company giving back to the community.

cwf

We see that big bull along the highway fence on a regular basis. I hear he likes carrots and turnips. :lol:

Fella
01-03-2016, 01:59 PM
X2 on ITL, they've always been very friendly to me. I've rolled up to gates where it turns out they were logging but the gate keeper has given me tips on areas close by where no one was working that day and where there were bears or bucks spotted nearby.

IronNoggin
01-03-2016, 02:27 PM
Well... You can all sing Kumbuya along with IT all you like.
I have a much different perspective on them, and their operations...

NOT happy being gated out of 85% plus of the areas we used to hunt historically.
NOT happy with their staff wrongfully flagging us down to inform me and my Buddies that "Hunting is not allowed" on their properties except on weekends.
NOT happy with their lack of communication.
NOT happy with them slamming gates down at the first hint of fire bans, then leaving them shut long after they have been lifted.
NOT happy with the moonscapes their operations leave behind.
NOT happy with the boil water advisories that occur downstream of those same operations.
NOT happy with the lack of replanting of said moonscapes.
NOT happy about being locked in when in fact they saw me enter and said nothing but Have a Good Day.
NOT happy that keys are issued to their own staff who use their properties as Private Hunting Reserves.
NOT happy with their hired gun "Security Goons" who relish in telling you that soon ALL hunting access will be gone.

There's more, but methinks you get the gist.
Good Corporate Neighbor? Certainly NOT IMHO. :evil:

Nog

cdub
01-03-2016, 02:58 PM
i don't like them either but they are a lot better than timber west when it comes to access.

Spy
01-03-2016, 03:18 PM

NOT happy being gated out of 85% plus of the areas we used to hunt historically.
NOT happy with their staff wrongfully flagging us down to inform me and my Buddies that "Hunting is not allowed" on their properties except on weekends.
NOT happy with them slamming gates down at the first hint of fire bans, then leaving them shut long after they have been lifted.
NOT happy with the boil water advisories that occur downstream of those same operations.
NOT happy about being locked in when in fact they saw me enter and said nothing but Have a Good Day.
NOT happy that keys are issued to their own staff who use their properties as Private Hunting Reserves.
NOT happy with their hired gun "Security Goons" who relish in telling you that soon ALL hunting access will be gone.

Nog
More or less how I feel :-( Replanting is my main concern, its like they are waiting for it to replant itself or sell it ! But some here in the logging industry swear its all replanted ;-)

Squire
01-03-2016, 03:45 PM
More or less how I feel :-( Replanting is my main concern, its like they are waiting for it to replant itself or sell it ! But some here in the logging industry swear its all replanted ;-)

Some here in the logging industry will try to explain that the rules aren't the same for private lands as they are for crown lands but why listen to them?:wink:

t-rexer
01-03-2016, 03:56 PM
Be happy you dont have to deal with timber west. You cant get an inch with them

Spirit's Master
01-03-2016, 04:24 PM

Nog

Sounds like TimberWest.

cwf

IronNoggin
01-03-2016, 06:26 PM
Sounds like TimberWest.

Both actually. In this neck of the woods we see Extremely Little Distinction between the two... :sad:

Nog

okas
01-03-2016, 09:50 PM
a lot of elk come out of that gate off season ... team work ...

curt
01-03-2016, 09:51 PM
well definitely not my experience but I do her what you are saying all I know is they were top notch to me

01-04-2016, 12:52 PM
'Nog.... I hear ya.... when i was 10 i hunted in Butlers with Dad...... grew up there hunting... Circa 1990 locked... only to be slightly opened now...
I hunted Robinson,,, all locked private no access no hunting posted solid.
I hunted Shaw,,, locked...
I hunted Gordon..... in and out of locked up things change there like my underware.....
I hunted Shawnigan.... same thing open closed? never to know...
I camped in all these places...... i am in complete aggreement with you on everything............

But that dont change the fact ITL is the best of them..... They at least let me in. and have done so for a long time.... i facking hate SVI,,, and it is because all these damned forrest companies have locked me out.... sure if you go up Jordan and Shawnigan you see why,, the Grader that was torched up parksville...... what ever... i hate living here for those reasons.... im 40.. i grew up hunting here and i have a lifetime of memories in places i am gated out of.....

But last year, i drove up to where we camped when i was a lil kid where we used to birdhunt.... i got out of the truck and stood there...... and i knew i wasnt going to get locked in.
if all my family was not in victoria i wouldnt be..

Wrj
01-07-2016, 08:10 PM
be happy you dont have to deal with timber west. You cant get an inch with them

^^^^^ this right here ^^^^^^

SPEYMAN
01-07-2016, 11:36 PM
The logging company crap has been going on for years. There may be a difference between their private land and the timber leases but can be a screw up just the same.

Many years ago, over 30, we bow hunted north of Sayward. Bow season opened one week before the shotgun grouse opening. Several years the logging company, M&B, would lock certain gates the week before the bow season. They would claim there was fire hazard. Opening weekend for grouse, all the gates would be open and their employees would be driving and walking the best areas for grouse.

For those that are not familiar with some of the history about access on the island. There were hunters complaining about no access to certain areas, one of the major logging companies wrote back to the club and said there were not enough deer for their employees if the public was allowed. That was the end to the companies closing areas for the public to hunt.

There is a simple solution, if there is no public hunting on crown or private land then there should be no hunting period. The animals, birds or fish are not the property of the land owner.