PDA

View Full Version : Bighorn Population EK Regions..

hunter1947
01-01-2016, 07:40 AM
I contribute funds to the Kootenay Wildlife Heritage every year I got some feedback on what once was a high number of bighorn sheep..

The estimated that there were six thousand sheep in the 1950's today the numbers are 2000 I don't know why the numbers have
declined to these low number of sheep ?? I am no sheep hunter have an idea on why numbers have dropped but not sure..

Can some of you sheep hunters or others tell us why the numbers have dropped in population ??? :sad:.

Apolonius
01-01-2016, 07:55 AM
Don't know that region specifically but from what i see in other regions,disease and overhunting is the major reasons.With far more sheep hunters today and the disposable income they have if the regulations do not protect the sheep,we will have even less.Accessibility also is greater today.Although ,hunter numbers/disposable income i see one of the main reasons.I don't know the regs of the fifties but with ,liberal seasons for residents and guide allocation % ,we are in trouble.Habitat is another can of worms.

snareman1234
01-01-2016, 08:18 AM
Don't know that region specifically but from what i see in other regions,disease and overhunting is the major reasons.With far more sheep hunters today and the disposable income they have if the regulations do not protect the sheep,we will have even less.Accessibility also is greater today.Although ,hunter numbers/disposable income i see one of the main reasons.I don't know the regs of the fifties but with ,liberal seasons for residents and guide allocation % ,we are in trouble.Habitat is another can of worms.

Full cull bighorns represent an amazingly small fraction of the standing population. Only about 20-30 full curl bighorns are harvested across the entire EK every year, that's ~ 1% of the standing population if the 2000 number is correct above. Not likely a hunting issue.

Trapper
01-01-2016, 08:22 AM
huge die off back in the 80's due to lung worm

2chodi
01-01-2016, 08:40 AM
Here is a recent presentation done for the Wild Sheep Society of BC. I'm not sure that the 6000 number from the 50s is accurate - maybe someone knows better.

https://wildsheepsociety.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/MFLNRO-Region-4-Sheep-Update-Irene-Teske.pdf

The report cites several factors for declining populations in certain parts of the EK, but I think it downplays the impact of poor quality forage resulting from increased numbers of pine trees and invasive grass species with low nutritional value on the winter range cited in other studies.

Walking Buffalo
01-01-2016, 12:02 PM
Licensed hunting has had no negative effect on sheep populations. None.

Factors that have effected population reductions to varying degrees by region:

Habitat loss and fragmentation through development.
Habitat loss through forest encroachment.
Habitat loss effecting population density limits (carrying capacity) and reduced reproduction rates due to lowered vitality of individuals.
Several disease issues.
Predation.

All of these factors are quite well documented.

Apolonius
01-01-2016, 02:54 PM
My line of thinking was,what are the numbers of sheep hunters today compared to 50s 60s or 70s?Did access change?Did success rates change?Habitat ,predator and disease are big factors for sure.I am not that old but even 20 years ago ,was very different in the number of hunters you see today.With our numbers going up the last few years,there will be a change in hunter success and opportunities.And no i don't know the answers.There are some people in the know here,that could put up some numbers,and reasons for the decline if there is one.Unfortunately the solutions are with the government of the day.And politicians make political decisions,not always the best for wildlife.

Bugle M In
01-01-2016, 04:45 PM
Licensed hunting has had no negative effect on sheep populations. None.

Factors that have effected population reductions to varying degrees by region:

Habitat loss and fragmentation through development.
Habitat loss through forest encroachment.
Habitat loss effecting population density limits (carrying capacity) and reduced reproduction rates due to lowered vitality of individuals.
Several disease issues.
Predation.

All of these factors are quite well documented.

Bingo!...couldn't have said it better.

budismyhorse
01-01-2016, 05:46 PM
"Over hunting"....??? On full curl male only harvest?

I don't have the patience to debate statements like this anymore.

Read Walking Buffs post.....over and over.

Apolonius
01-02-2016, 06:27 AM
I did not disregard Walking Buffalos post.I do agree with all that.But i also believe you noticed the rise of numbers in the sheep hunting community.
You must notice how many more horse trailers are out there.
How many flights for sheep are today.Jet boats????!!!!
There is even a WSS here with a convention,i believe you went to many of them in the 70s.
The allocation that gave more to guides,the more successful of the two groups.
The advance in technology and transportation and on and on.
As for the full curl,we don't know what it does for the herd if you kill ,the best genes and their leader.Ever thought about that????
All this are factors that advanced the success rate for hunters.
And it is one of the factors that has to be included.
Not one thing will make the difference,but if you point fingers to this or that ,don't forget we are a factor.
Bottom line is,if you got the harvest numbers,by guides and Resident hunters for the past,please post them here!
That will make me a believer.And i will be the first one to bow my head.
The only times i hear of closures,or more regs is,disease or overhunting/poaching,,,in all types of hunting.
All just human factors.
Recognizing we are part of the problem,we can be part of the solution.

Hunting guy
01-02-2016, 06:58 AM
Jet boats for EK Bighorn hunting?

01-02-2016, 07:39 AM
Disease, predation and loss of suitable range provide major management challenges. Transmission of disease from domestic to wild sheep can undo years I'd careful management all in a few months.

As others have said, over-hunting is not a concern as far as its impact on over-all sheep numbers go (at least not regulated hunting).

2chodi
01-02-2016, 07:58 AM
Bottom line is,if you got the harvest numbers,by guides and Resident hunters for the past,please post them here!

Here you go - latest states to 2013 for Region 4 Sheep Harvest http://residentpriority.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Region4SheepHarvest.pdf

WMU 499 is a summary of all region 4 management units for a specific year. If you want to dig deeper download the spreadsheet and apply filters:

http://residentpriority.ca/2015/05/1976-2013-big-game-harvest-stats/

Apolonius
01-02-2016, 09:20 AM
Thanks 2chodi.Jet boats term was used, as for changes to the way we hunt in general.

.264winmag
01-02-2016, 10:37 AM
Dont need full curl Rams to breed, young Rams with great genes are happy to oblige.

kootenaycarver
01-02-2016, 04:29 PM
Not sure of how accurate, the old stats are. The bio reports pretty much tells you how the herds are doing. For the most part pretty stable, with the exception of 3 or 4 minor herds. Most of the sheep areas have some type of road or access closures (ie: Upper Elk Valley or Flathead valley) There certainly are predator issues throughout the area. The harvest in the area is pretty stable, mostly by a group of very dedicated and serious sheep hunters and of course the GO allocation/harvest as well. When I started sheep hunting in the 70's it was rare to hear of 180 B&C rams being harvested, they are harvested a lot more common these days. Todays hunters are much better equipped and totally dedicated to what they are after. Making a very good wage and working 4on/4off for most doesn't hurt either. Sheep hunting in the East Kootenays can be very competitive in the easier access areas.

Apolonius
01-02-2016, 05:24 PM
Dont need full curl Rams to breed, young Rams with great genes are happy to oblige.
Full curl Rams are more than breeding.In a herd they have a role,that is more than a few fights and breeding.Just my uneducated opinion,not a biologist or anything like that.From the stats one thing that see different today is hunter days in the field,300% up,but it doesn't affect the herd of course.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-02-2016, 07:13 PM
Full curl Rams are more than breeding.In a herd they have a role,that is more than a few fights and breeding.Just my uneducated opinion,not a biologist or anything like that.From the stats one thing that see different today is hunter days in the field,300% up,but it doesn't affect the herd of course.

Thats the great thing about the full curl seasons. Lots of Rams will broom enough that they will never make full curl....or at least they won't make full curl until they are old.

.264winmag
01-02-2016, 07:48 PM

Never chased BH yet so maybe I'm out of touch. Always see many average non-legal stones' running bands of Rams. Not sure if same in EK though. I'd rather the full curl rule over our bs LEH system, just an opinion.

Apolonius
01-02-2016, 08:09 PM
You are not out of touch at all.I am not against the full curl rule at all,against LEH yes,although sometimes needed.Like SSS said many of the rams broom and never or when they are very old,get to be full curl.By that time they are too smart.I should have said ,older rams.It is just my belief,that hunters,RH/guides have an impact too.How big i don't know,but we do.I leave that to biologists and the people in the know,to decide.Here we are ,keyboard wildlife managers.Probably a good thing,we are just that.